Ares Games

Thread: Archie

Default Archie

Can AA be directed against targets at Alt 0?

I don't think so but then sometimes I looks at stuff to closely and can't see the wood for the trees!

cheers,

Dave.

Dave!

If you are at 0 level and enemy flak wants o fire at you, i would put your hands in the air and surrender!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Dave!

If you are at 0 level and enemy flak wants o fire at you, i would put your hands in the air and surrender!

Rich
    LoL, I guess I'm infantry at that point

Maybe I should look into Flames of War!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    Can AA be directed against targets at Alt 0?

I don't think so but then sometimes I looks at stuff to closely and can't see the wood for the trees!

cheers,

Dave.
    Ummm...we consider zero level as being on the ground!!

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Ummm...we consider zero level as being on the ground!!
    You can fly at level 0 - here are the rules:

"The minimum altitude for flying planes is 0, if they have at least a climb marker on them. At 0 level without climb markers, the plane is considered landed. Remove the plane from the pegs and just place it on the aircraft base.

...If a plane dives to level 0, leave a single peg and discard all the climb markers it has except for one. If it has none, give one to it."

Well yes, it is called landing and taking off.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    You can fly at level 0 - here are the rules:

"The minimum altitude for flying planes is 0, if they have at least a climb marker on them. At 0 level without climb markers, the plane is considered landed. Remove the plane from the pegs and just place it on the aircraft base.

...If a plane dives to level 0, leave a single peg and discard all the climb markers it has except for one. If it has none, give one to it."

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Well yes, it is called landing and taking off.
    If you are at level 0, but have one or more climb counters, then you are considered to be flying below 500 meters (1641 ft.) You don't have to land.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    If you are at level 0, but have one or more climb counters, then you are considered to be flying below 500 meters (1641 ft.) You don't have to land.
    Technically speaking...Larry is correct...we just consider zero altitude as being just that ... ground level. Howver, it's more of a "gentleman's agreement" with us...basically, just add another peg. So, 1st peg is alt level 1, no peg is level zero...that's just our take on it...a little interpretation of the rules for us..;-0 As far as climb counters go...if you're at level zero, but have 1 or more climb markers, then you're taking off (or reverse it for landing)...but, we don't get that picky...

But if you are playing with "archie" you can fly around at level 0 all day and stay under the flak. Of course you're more likely to get hit by enemy ground fire and machine guns if there are any on the table, but that's a choice you have to make.

Thanks Larry, you picked up on the essence of the question. I was playing a solo scenario and had just taken out the ground troops with some strafing, I was wondering if I could avoid the archie by hugging the ground, in the end I concluded I could. As you say though it's a bit of a hobson's choice at the beginning

Cheers,

Dave.