Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going Out Of Business

My last boxes arrived. While very sad, I am glad your prioritizing time with the family.
    Thanks again for the service.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

We'll certainly miss this outlet.

Such a shame there wasn’t a way this excellent service couldn’t have been picked up and continued by someone else.
    Is there anyway this could be achieved?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Evan offered but I don't know if anything came of it.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    We'll certainly miss this outlet.
    Agreed now the problem is to find a source of models not that there has been any new ones over the last two years. Why' that?

I think models can still be sourced elsewhere, maybe not as cheap or as easy, but still.
    I'm more concerned about the availability (or rather the unavailability) of items like gimball mounts, various plexiglass items (bases, smoke for sails, etc.)
    Luckily I found a local firm who makes (and already has made for me) prop-disks in 1mm acryl thickness. Various sizes (14,16,19mm) I ordered. The only "negative" point of them is that prop lines have not been etched. With a thin-line non-erasible ink pen easily rectified.
    They also made me fighter and large fighter bases, central hole drilled, but also without fire lines etched ... Again ... here comes the pen and a straight ruler.
    For gimball mounts no solution (yet ...).

cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    For gimball mounts no solution (yet ...).
    Discussion on that here:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-Gimbal-Mounts

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks Karl
    I guess I'll find a solution there !

cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

It makes sense to close a business built around a moribund product line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    It makes sense to close a business built around a moribund product line.

i desperately want to argue against this point. i really do. but if im being honest with myself, i cant.

It's premature to call the game "dead," but from what little I hear from Ares I would agree that it's in a coma and on life-support. Pity, going by some of the data they asked me for and what I found in answers the South Pacific WWII line was gonna have some really cool stuff...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

It is only dead if you stop playing it. It is sad when you think about how much more potential for it Ares Games could have moved. This one print run board game market seem to be the big fad now.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    It is only dead if you stop playing it.
    How true. Many (relatively) younger gamers assume or consider a game to be "dead" if they aren't continually spoon-fed new supplements, scenarios etc. (the former annoys me as supplements in many systems just add rules which should have been in the main edition, the latter since it suggests a lack of creativity) . Two of the rules I use most often would be considered dead now - WRG 6mm Moderns and GQ1/2, both of which have had nothing added to them essentially for decades, but both are solid, complete and still-popular sets of rules.

Where there are sets that are not seeing the development that they deserve from their publishers in terms of details for "new" aircraft, ships etc. there is often a vibrant community of experts and players developing the required stats and other material to push the boundaries. WoW/WoG is one of the leaders here as the community has been great in developing material for aircraft that aren't covered in the official rules (and many of which would never see the light of day even if Ares was massively more active in producing more material). But in general wargame rules are like Spock. They aren't really dead as long as we remember them

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    ... This one print run board game market seem to be the big fad now.
    It's been that way for the last several years. Same with some wargames & rules. Seen many shiny things released that don't seem to last the course but have to agree that games ain't dead until we stop playing them and as Dave suggests where there's a will there's usually a way.

"He is wise who watches"

I think you only have to look at how active this forum is to see that it is FAR from dead

Sorry to see your store go Keith. I definitely was one of your faithful customers. We definitely need you to come over at either CSGA or CMH in Denver and play with us. You have an open invitation to the Colorado Military Historians (CMH) club anytime and Dan and I can set up a scenario for you to play with us.
    I missed your sale as the store link is now closed, hope you got rid of most of your stuff.
    Best Regards,
    Nate

Haven't been on site for sometime. Sorry to hear about the store. Keith you have been a great supporter for this game. Good luck on your. New adventures going forward.
    So where is the next best place to purchase planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blake View Post
    Haven't been on site for sometime. Sorry to hear about the store. Keith you have been a great supporter for this game. Good luck on your. New adventures going forward.
    So where is the next best place to purchase planes?
    Honestly, looks like direct from Ares. Noble Knight and Miniature Market still have some but not many.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    Honestly, looks like direct from Ares. Noble Knight and Miniature Market still have some but not many.
    Yeah, our options are a bit slim at the moment.

Are there any chances to purchase CAD files of Aerodrome Accessories (like bases, markers, etc)? To do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by inerro View Post
    Are there any chances to purchase CAD files of Aerodrome Accessories (like bases, markers, etc)? To do it yourself.
    Yes please! Replacing the storefront listings with digital files would be wonderful, and while it'd probably just be a trickle of income, at least it'd be lower maintenance with no inventory to worry about. Could even have a higher priced merchant tier like the STL sellers do, granting buyers who own shops the license to sell the laser cut bits as well.

Sorry to see it go

Keith,

If you ever bring your business back, there would be tons of support. Totally wish I could purchase your Wings of Glory flames and smoke. Was just introduced to them and they are amazing!

Kevin, you might reach out to Evan at Rival Sky Games, aka "Xen" here--IIRC he bought the rights to a lot of Keith's portfolio.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

A bit late to the party, but with all this pandemic nonsense I went back to school for another degree. Anyway, thanks Keith for the numerous amazing transactions and outstanding service over the years. I wish you and yours the best.

Greetings,
    I realize that I am 1+ years late, but would there be any WW I stands left in your inventory? The ones I make are a poor substitute.

George

George- have you tried the Litko bases? They make the same sizes but used a single long solid peg that’s a little thicker than the WOG pegs. They make an adapter that fits to the top of their peg that has a second hole that matches the peg on the bottom of the Ares planes. Another option is to glue an WOG flight peg into the Litko base. Then you can add more WOG flight pegs for the altitude levels.

Hello George. I'm with Craig on this one. The Litko bases are a fine substitute. Over mark the firing arc with a Sharpie (other marker pens are available ) and mark the arrow at the bottom of the base. You will need to partially file off the point of an altitude peg to make the base sit flat, then glue it in place with poly glue or super glue. A little work but a perfect result. Or see if the Litko pegs work better. Ideal with Kevin's Reduced Aircraft Factory models (but that's a different plastic crack wormhole to go down ) Have fun with it

Hey George,

The Litko bases will work as Craig and Iain noted. Also, if you use telescoping magnet tool stands instead of pegs they work. You can use a file or craft knife to file down the edge of the hole on the underside so the panhead screw fits flush (shown here with some bases from Aerodrome Store cut to in-between size but same principle).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bases_tweener.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	320559

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Hello George. I'm with Craig on this one. The Litko bases are a fine substitute. Over mark the firing arc with a Sharpie (other marker pens are available ) and mark the arrow at the bottom of the base. You will need to partially file off the point of an altitude peg to make the base sit flat, then glue it in place with poly glue or super glue. A little work but a perfect result. Or see if the Litko pegs work better. Ideal with Kevin's Reduced Aircraft Factory models (but that's a different plastic crack wormhole to go down ) Have fun with it
    Same here. I use a lot of the Litko bases. They work real well. The correct size, and no rounded base like the official ones. I use a black sharpie marker for the front and back arrows/lines. I then use a red sharpie for the arc of fire. I have done two things with the pegs. 1. I cut and file off the point and glue it to the base. 2. I have found that a 5.5mm drill bit is the size of an altitude peg. I have drilled out the hole and inserted the hole peg and glued it in. This is how the Aerodrome bases where. But, I have found out the Litko bases can crack and chip when you do that. So, I would recommend number #1.

When using Litko bases with WOG pegs I don't use the long peg that come with them. ( I think you can get them without the long peg) I glue one WOG peg to the Litko base so I can use the WOG pegs as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by gak0418 View Post
    Greetings,
    I realize that I am 1+ years late, but would there be any WW I stands left in your inventory? The ones I make are a poor substitute.

George
    George - I just ordered a pack of the Ares bomber pegs (24 in a pack) and a pack of Ares flight pegs (50 in a pack) from Zatu Games (www.board-game.co.uk). Hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Need some advice on a possible new business venture...
    By Diamondback in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-25-2020, 12:20
  2. It's Just Business - Udet vs. Guynemer
    By Willi in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-25-2016, 18:05
  3. Out Of Business
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 13:57
  4. Business as usual.