Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Skies, Barry. RIP Gully_raker

Default Clear Skies, Barry. RIP Gully_raker

I have just received the devastating news that my good friend Barry Hickson, better known on this forum as gully_raker, passed away suddenly last night.

Due to the viral breakout in his part of the world, funeral arrangements may take a while to make.

The family has asked that everyone here have a cup of tea in his memory, and to thank everyone on the forum for their friendship. They are quite aware of just how much gully_raker enjoyed both WGF and Tripods, and the companionship of everyone on this forum.

Sorry to hear that my prayers

Always sad to see a gamer go.

Oh my, this is terribly sad news. Barry has been a rock here at the Aerodrome. I, and am sure many others, will dearly miss him.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 07-17-2021 at 19:34.

Very sorry to hear this, sad news indeed.

Oh DEAR! Sad news! Very sad news! My condolences and prayers!

. . . bitter sweet my heart, joys shared and wonderful times together then layers of sadness and loss, I find my world ever shrinking as I have to say good bye to such amazing companions, climb ever high and far dear friend . . .

Devastating news.
    I feel like my heart has been cut out.

I had always hoped to meet Baz in person one day.

Blue skies, Barry.
    Your spirit will live on in the wonderful photos you always managed to find and post here for us to share.

...oh no.

Two weeks ago we had a nice little PM chat about that black painted Hurricane and my WoG activities.

So no Christmas card exchange this year.

Blue skies, dear Barry.

Your contributions here will be missed...
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

That is very sad news indeed, he was a great bloke & a good friend on the forum. He will be greatly missed.
    RIP Baz.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for letting us all know Zoe. I was lucky enough to meet Barry at Cancon a couple of times. A really nice guy who will be sorely missed.

What terrible news. Barry was a stalwart here and always interesting to chat with by PM. Blue skies Baz.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Condolences.

Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Oh no, thats awful news. We were only chatting recently. I shall certainly raise a cup of tea in his memory. Rest easy old friend

Oh no, that is terrible news. My condolences to the family and close friends. He will certainly be missed!

Reading this news I'm really sad. There are several special people here on the Aerodrome, and Barry was definitely one of the. I'll miss him and his posts. Clear skies, friend from far side oft he world.

Default Condolences

Condolences to his family. You will be sorely missed on this forum. RIP Barry. Blue skies! And every cup of tea I drink today will have a special significance.

Had only known him a short while but was very encouraging and helpful with advice and knowledge. Condolences to his remaining family and RIP Baz

Default Sincere Condolances

Go Well Baz

You were very encouraging of me as a player, answering questions by PM, and drew me into WW1 with great stories of WW1, like the kiwi ace "Grid" Caldwell. May your family be surrounded by blessings snd love from all
    Terry

Dreadful news, a bit speechless here to be honest. Barry was a massive part of this forum, he will be greatly missed.
    I shall put the kettle on immediately.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

very sad news. RIP Baz, condolences to his family, my thoughts are with them

Time for elevenses here, so raising a mug of builders to Barry.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Oh my God it's not possible !!!
    we were still exchanging PM and Warbirds picts not long ago
    I'm very sad
    Have a good flight in the blue sky Barry
    Condoleances

That’s really sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    ..The family has asked that everyone here have a cup of tea in his memory, and to thank everyone on the forum for their friendship. They are quite aware of just how much gully_raker enjoyed both WGF and Tripods, and the companionship of everyone on this forum.
    Maybe the powers that be can set up an emoji for a mug of tea in Baz's memory ? :cuppa:

"He is wise who watches"

Stunned to hear this terrible news. He was such agreat character on the forum, always ready to offer advice and encouragement. A sad day indeed. He and his AARs on Over The Trenches will be greatly missed by me.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Such sad news and a real shock. His contribution to this community was immense. RIP Barry and condolences to his family. I will go and make a cuppa now and raise it in his honour.

I am stunned. My condolences to Barry's family and friends. :cuppa:

Blue skies, Baz.

Blue skies Baz

That is such sad, terrible news and so sudden. My condolences to Barry's family and friends.

Alas, that is sad news indeed.

Such a sad, sad loss. Condolences to his family and friends. A cup of tea it is. Cheers!

Blue skies Baz.
    A sad day mates.
    Is it a bit weird that I sat down to my pc moments ago with my first tea in a month or so? (American, coffee etc......)
    This one is for you Barry........

I will always have the fondest memories of my compatriot of the skies. One of the few pilots from outside the Bulldogs who had the shared experiences of Major Kyte and his Squadron, flying in the persona of Captain Triggers, who became a personal friend of Kyte in many of our opperations, and also off the Drome.
    To all his family and friends I send my condolences, and will add my prayers to those already speeding him on his way to meeet the Great Sky Pilot. May you always wing your way through blue skys until we meet again my dear friend.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sincere thoughts to Bary’s family.
    Salute to a true fellow Aerodrome member.

Saw this earlier this morning - shocked and stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    The family has asked that everyone here have a cup of tea in his memory, and to thank everyone on the forum for their friendship.
    I never drink the stuff, so didn't have any at home - I bought some on the way home from work, and have toasted Barry now.

He was one of the first to welcome me to the 'Drome. He always had a welcome for new pilots, was always free with his knowledge and humour, and has freely given an entire library of superb photographs to everyone here.

To say he will be missed is an understatement. This place is poorer since his sad loss.

My deepest condolences to his family, and his many, many friends.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Oh my head! Terrible news. A great 'Drome mate gone.
    Prayers to his family and friends, and to all here, as we have lost a fine comrade.
    And here's a mug of tea.............
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wow! Stunned. I am so going to miss Barry. We are all richer for having known him, and will feel his loss here on the Forum.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Blue skies and tail winds, Barry.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I seem to recall he mentioned being born in 1937. Was he the oldest member of our group?

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I seem to recall he mentioned being born in 1937. Was he the oldest member of our group?
    Next Saturday would have been his 84th birthday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1626665584979.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	304326

The family is reading this forum, it's visible to the public, and everyone's condolences, fond memories, and kindness has been of great support to them in theit time of grief. Baz was always infectiously cheerful, and knowing that he lives on in hearts and memories of so many around the world is making a difference to them. Thank you all.

Now I'm going to have another mug of Earl Grey, toasting Barry and his family.

What a shock! I can't imagine this Forum without Gully_Raker. He was a prolific poster of threads, especially aircraft pictures in this section. He always responded so warmly to others' threads. RIP.
    Condolences to his family and close friends who will miss him most.

Every time I re-read this thread I'm just completely blown away. the amount of effort he put into his contributions to the forum are just irreplaceable.

Sorry to read this news. Thanks for the post, Zoe. I usually drink coffee, but Ima go have a brew-up now.

Just seen this, what incredibly sad news, had a number of conversations with Baz here, he was one of the first I spoke to when joining , loved his pics and his friendly banter, he always sent me a happy birthday wish.
    So sorry and saddened, my most sincere condolences to his family and friends down under and elsewhere. Blue skies and a good flight mate.

Blown away by this news Baz has been a mainstay of pretty much everything I have shared with the rest of you since I signed up, especially the OTT campaign run by Dave. All those AARs and the amazing photos he shared with us too and always some lovely feedback for anything posted by us. Seemed like a close friend and that's the second one I've lost this week
    My sincere condolences to his family and friends and here's the largest cup of tea I can find to drink to his memory. I think I might just find something a bit stronger too, later this evening.
    Chau Baz - sorry to lose you mate.

Such sad news, I think the posts above have voiced a most touching and heartfelt obituary for a truly great man. I can add no more.
    My condolences to his family

Lest we forget

Barry's daughter, Jenny Woodcroft, asked me to thank everyone for their condolences and sympathies. Those non tea drinkers who went out and bought some are particularly appreciated, it's the kind of funny and thoughtful act Barry appreciated.

Barry talked about you often to her and her family, so she knows most of you by reputation as good friends.

Due to the current outbreak in NSW, state borders have slammed shut, so Barry's family will not be able to attend a memorial service any time soon. So it has been decided to delay the celebration of Barry's life for at least 2 months, with a private cremation before then. I'll keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Clear Skies for a Tuskegee Airman...
    By Black Sheep One in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-05-2016, 14:34
  2. Not So Clear Skies
    By guthroth in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-20-2016, 18:39
  3. Carl_Brisgamer, Barry Gully_Raker and the Little Wingman Back in Action!
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 16:24
  4. National For Barry (gully_raker)
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2015, 11:10