Ares Games
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Full-Color 3D Prints (RAF)

Thanks for the photos, the colours are more delicate than the Ares ones, but the range of planes is far greater and with DVll's selling for anywhere between £50/110 they are actually something of a bargain.

I'm very impressed with the surface finish, it's way better than anything I had from Shapeways, it looks like 3d printing has come on in leaps and bounds since my last purchase.

Rats

Finally gave in to Temptation, and ordered 4 of these beauties.

Hello, slippery slope!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Yes, very slippery!!!!! Several more I would love to get.

Thanks for posting the side by side pics with the Ares model. Are the green/purple on the top wing "supposed" to be historically the same color/scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Thanks for posting the side by side pics with the Ares model. Are the green/purple on the top wing "supposed" to be historically the same color/scheme?
    Yes, they are.

Trouble is, no one knows the EXACT colour, and no computer screen can accurately display the colour on the mini electronically (see Daryl's superb threads on "Why we'll never get it right" in the Hobby Room).

When mine arrive, I'll repaint the green and mauve to match my other planes (also the brown struts - the Germans didn't use wood for struts, so they should be dull "aluminium" or painted (usually a pale green grey in Factory Finish, or specific personal or Jasta colour).
    Also, the 'Ares' mini appears to have the same green for the wing camo AND the Jasta 5 squadron colour - these should be different, not identical.

Or you could just put it down to the effects of wind weather and the Sun!

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the photos, Dan! I received a few prints too and yes, the wings on mine too came out lighter than I expected. (And I have a high-end color-calibrated monitor.) I suspect the translation of RGB colors in the texture maps to pigments in the plastic is not perfectly linear.

The green and mauve I chose were some of the colors from Windsock: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...mp-Lilac-Mauve. (As you can see from that page, there was a wide variety of shades from various actual samples.) But maybe I'll favor the darker selections for subsequent planes, or maybe apply a little "reverse gamma" to the colors to make the mid-tones darker. For current ones you can simply say they've seen a bit more sun-fading than others.

Bohning came in yesterday. Miniature works of art. Superb job Daryl. Still can't figure out how a printer does multiple colors.
    Must be some printer. I will not attempt a picture, it would just be sideways.

I wonder if a home color printer could do anywhere nearly as good a job?

Thanks! I don't mind the pale tones, really. Maybe a little darker would be fine to closer match our existing planes. Also, the images on page one show grey struts, not brown. Have they been changed, or are they printing different than what is pictured? I'd imagine it's relatively "easy" to adjust a file and re-upload it?

Impressive result - the price is breathtaking...
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I wonder if a home color printer could do anywhere nearly as good a job?
    I think these printers cost six figures in US$. https://www.mimakiusa.com/products/3d/3duj-553/ Maybe a home printer could do the same thing in 10-20 years?

I added the first Pfalz D.XII! This one was particularly fun because it used strips of the lozenge fabric for the rib tape instead of a solid color. As always, a card for the plane is posted on Wings of Linen: https://static.miraheze.org/linenwik...45-18-card.jpg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfaD12-144-18.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	309035

I expect a few more paint schemes for it will follow shortly. (Though one of my favorite schemes has a swastika logo [way before it was adopted in the WWII era], and that can be problematic in some countries. Maybe I'll just skip that one.)

Also, on the Albatros D.V's, I reduced the weathering on the wings and darkened the green and lilac somewhat, as well as changing the struts to be a light grey on some of them.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 11-12-2021 at 13:41. Reason: add card link

Why, oh why did you have to do a Pfalz D.XII?

I could go off you, you know...

OK, I'll have to buy this one as well.

Yes, a Pfalz XII. YES! On the buy list!

Pfalz XII - now you're talking! A Pup would be another unproduced plane that would be great to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Why, oh why did you have to do a Pfalz D.XII?

I could go off you, you know...

OK, I'll have to buy this one as well.
    Tim;
    I wholeheartedly join you in a mutual surrender pact
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Tim;
    I wholeheartedly join you in a mutual surrender pact
    Karl
    A Transatlantic Special Surrender Relationship!

Pfalz XII - now you're talking! A Pup would be another unproduced plane that would be great to see.
    Sopwith Pups, hmmm? Not a front-line unit, but a complement for the Loeser Albatros D.III:

Name:	WWF_SopwithPup_7SqnRFC.png 
Views:	265 
Size:	722.2 KB 
ID:	309052

Name:	Pup1_Diamonds.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	309053
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Not doing Camels?

Another challenging paint scheme:

Name:	WWF_Camel_RNASEastchurch_Coombes Card.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	686.8 KB 
ID:	309067

Name:	Dazzle_910lampie.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	309068
    Mike

Oh, I'm hoping he does Camels. The RNAS planes would be particularly attractive subjects I believe with the red & blue checkered snd striped cowlings and noses. Can't believe Ares skipped those in favor of that captured one-off!

Oh, I'm hoping he does Camels. The RNAS planes would be particularly attractive subjects I believe with the red & blue checkered snd striped cowlings and noses. Can't believe Ares skipped those in favor of that captured one-off!
    It is unfortunate that both the RNAS and the RFC were seriously 'team players', and didn't allow 'non-approved' colour schemes. The striped cowlings on RNAS 10 Sqn planes was only there for a few months, and ordered painted off from higher HQ as soon as they found out about it. The term 'Flying Circus' was used, supposedly, to ridicule the freedom (and lack of 'discipline') the German pilots had with their planes.
    Mike

Yeah, exciting during-the-war British paint schemes are a rare find.

I do have on the list to do the S.E.5a's of Squadron 60 with blue, yellow, and red noses and diagonal stripes... those were colorful for the short time until the authorities said, "you can use any color you want, as long as it's PC10 or PC12." I had to order the Osprey "No 60 Sqn RFC/RAF" book from England to get some more details on those planes, and it just arrived yesterday.

Meanwhile Paul Vogel's Pfalz D.XII is coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Not doing Camels?

Another challenging paint scheme:

Name:	WWF_Camel_RNASEastchurch_Coombes Card.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	686.8 KB 
ID:	309067

Name:	Dazzle_910lampie.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	309068
    Dazzle takes to the skies!
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Thanks for the info.

Oh, for crying out loud.......

THREE Pfalz D.XIIs !!!

Dammit!

Oh, for crying out loud.......
    I'm considering the Pfalz D.XII with the painted ribbon down the fuselage and the one with "KI" or "Kl", but I"m waffling because there is still a lot of confusion "in the community" about the colors and pilot names.

On Vogel's D.XII I went through about six different versions until I got a spray-paint effect for the fuselage that I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I think these printers cost six figures in US$. https://www.mimakiusa.com/products/3d/3duj-553/ Maybe a home printer could do the same thing in 10-20 years?
    ouch! thought it had to be a monster like that making these. good grief.

In the post with the color profiles. I kinda like the #69. The one with the yellow zig zag stripe.

But, they all will look awesome!

Yeah, exciting during-the-war British paint schemes are a rare find.

I do have on the list to do the S.E.5a's of Squadron 60 with blue, yellow, and red noses and diagonal stripes... those were colorful for the short time until the authorities said, "you can use any color you want, as long as it's PC10 or PC12." I had to order the Osprey "No 60 Sqn RFC/RAF" book from England to get some more details on those planes, and it just arrived yesterday.

Meanwhile Paul Vogel's Pfalz D.XII is coming along nicely.
    Just saw you have the yellow and blue nosed S.E.5a's up on your store now, very nice!

Just saw you have the yellow and blue nosed S.E.5a's up on your store now, very nice!
    Yeah, I wanted to do the red one too (Molesworth's?), but it's evidently an S.E.5, rather than S.E.5a. And I haven't turned that 3D model into a skinnable version yet. (That takes a lot of time.) Maybe someday.

First problem with a 3D printed-in-colour plane...

Albatros D.Va delivered with one V-strut entirely absent - not even broken off and in the bag, totally missing.

Who do I lodge a claim with, Etsy or Shapeways?

First problem with a 3D printed-in-colour plane...

Albatros D.Va delivered with one V-strut entirely absent - not even broken off and in the bag, totally missing.

Who do I lodge a claim with, Etsy or Shapeways?
    Sorry to hear that; so far their record has been perfect (as far as I have been told).

If you want to go "hands off", I can cover it. But if you want to be kept informed of their progress and responses, send an email to support@shapeways.com (copy me please) and include the Shapeways order number¹ and a picture of the plane highlighting the missing part. They have always been good about sending replacements.

¹ = I can look it up if it isn't printed on the in-box paperwork.

But if you want to be kept informed of their progress and responses, send an email to support@shapeways.com (copy me please) and include the Shapeways order number¹ and a picture of the plane highlighting the missing part. They have always been good about sending replacements.
    I've sent an email, with 5 annotated photos, to the link provided - I can't find any way at all to "copy you in" though.
    This is the sixth time I've had to notify a printing error to Shapeways; they have always provided a free replacement in the past...
    Let's hope they do so again, particularly since I have just ordered 6 more of your D coloured beauties!

Here are some updates!
    1. Another plane-type is now available: the Sopwith Dolphin. This under-appreciated fighter has never been available in full-color before (as far as I know). Four paint schemes are currently available: Carter (No.19 Sqn), Pearson (23), Bannerman (79) and Larkin (87).
    2. OldGuy59 and I have collaborated to add two new Albatros D.III skins: Hermann Göring and Franz Ray. (See the original post above for pictures.) Many thanks to Mike.
    3. I got back some test prints including the American SPAD 13 of Arthur Raymond Brooks. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. You can even (barely) make out the small stars in the blue field of the 20th Aero Squadron emblem. Although Project Butterfly (the project that analyzed French five-color camouflage) concluded, "There is very little contrast between the light green and beige", I thought the miniature needed a bit more contrast between the two, so I darkened the Light Green a little on all the SPAD 13s for new prints. (I also took the picture before straightening the wings, which was a fifteen second task with the blow dryer.)

Name:	SopDol-Pearson.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	309421

Name:	IMG_4487.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	309416
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 11-22-2021 at 12:57. Reason: switched to Pearson's Dolphin

49 different schemes available now....

Thanks for denting my savings, Daryl!

They are all looking amazing. Not sure which one to get next!!!!

It's time for some sensible, rational, well-thought-out decision-making; something I have never achieved yet!

Blast!

So, my latest order of these masterpieces arrives.....and Daryl lists more!

Can you please go over where to order these planes from again. Those Dolphins look very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Can you please go over where to order these planes from again. Those Dolphins look very tempting.
    The URL is: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ReducedAircraft.... now https://www.shapeways.com/shops/raf?...D%3D%3D%3D&s=0
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 02-06-2022 at 23:35.

Ok Daryl, this is getting out of control! 50 aircraft!? Where the heck am I gonna get the dough just for the ones I like? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    (OK, I'm all better now. I'll just keep admiring the two I have.) Talk about a selection...............

Quote Originally Posted by Brak Morn View Post
    Ok Daryl, this is getting out of control! 50 aircraft!? Where the heck am I gonna get the dough just for the ones I like? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    (OK, I'm all better now. I'll just keep admiring the two I have.) Talk about a selection...............
    Well, it does give more options for those lacking the inclination to paint and decal.

Currently OldGuy59 (Mike) and I are finishing up an Allmenröder Albatros D.III paint scheme (Jasta 11).

YES! Jasta 11! There goes my lunch money for the week!

Newly added: Pfalz D.IIIa's! (See the original post for pictures.)

Newly added: Pfalz D.IIIa's! (See the original post for pictures.)

I got some more full-color test prints from Shapeways and I'm pretty happy with them:

Name:	A_IMG_4522_600.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	310271 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_IMG_4524_600.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	310272

Name:	A_IMG_4534_600.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	310273 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_IMG_4528_600.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	310274

How does the tail look on the DH2. Any drop or bending? The roundels and coloring looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    How does the tail look on the DH2. Any drop or bending? The roundels and coloring looks great!
    No, I think the tail's span is short enough that it doesn't suffer from whatever causes the wing-droop. (Which is fixed with a little heat.)

Lovely aircraft. I particularly like the DH2, despite it being a very simple paint job. Do these (and other shapeways aircraft) come fitted with a peg?
    Last edited by Hu Rhu; 01-01-2022 at 01:30. Reason: spelling!!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes in full color?
    By ReducedAirFact in forum 3D printed Models
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:21
  2. WGF Color: German Five-Color Top Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 10:27
  3. WGF Color: German Four-Color Bottom Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings