Ares Games
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Full-Color 3D Prints (RAF)

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Any chance for a Belgian Pup? I have an extra D Deck just dying to be used!

Attachment 322582
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWF_SopwithPup_11SqnBelgium_2s.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	322640
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 01-27-2023 at 11:31.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Having recently finished some full-color Bristol Fighters and Salmson 2's, I'm circling back and hitting some requests and paint schemes that just caught my eye, like the two below. (One of which is a Belgian Pup, as requested.)

I'm still tossing around which new plane type to do in color, though. Sopwith Triplane? Snipe? Strutter? Albatros D.I and D.II? Halberstadt CL-planes? A.E.G. G.IV? Morane-Saulnier? Nieuport 24/27? Something else? Hard to decide.

Name:	SopPup-11eme-medium.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	323892 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokD7-Kliefoth-600.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	323893

How about Hanriot HD.3, Belgian Spad XI or Junkers D.I?

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Having recently finished some full-color Bristol Fighters and Salmson 2's, I'm circling back and hitting some requests and paint schemes that just caught my eye, like the two below. (One of which is a Belgian Pup, as requested.)

Name:	SopPup-11eme-medium.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	323892
    YES!!!!!

I'm still tossing around which new plane type to do in color, though. Sopwith Triplane? Snipe? Strutter? Albatros D.I and D.II? Halberstadt CL-planes? A.E.G. G.IV? Morane-Saulnier? Nieuport 24/27? Something else? Hard to decide.
    An interesting one would be Escadrille N152 for a Nieuport 27. Camo'd plane with an alligator on the fuselage sides!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-02-2023 at 15:13.

Roland D.VI, Albatros D.II, or some Jasta 11 Fokker Dr.I.

Hansa-Brandenburg W-12 and/or W-29 in naval hex pattern. Trying to apply decals to the ones I have is PITA.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Hansa-Brandenburg W-12 and/or W-29 in naval hex pattern. Trying to apply decals to the ones I have is PITA.
    Seconded, along with W.19. I can send profiles if you like
    Sop Triplanes would also be great.

I vote for Albatros D.II

Roland D.II/D.IIa - would give more planes to use in Macedonia (Jasta 25) and the Eastern Front.

Would definitely buy several of those!
    Sopwith Baby to go with them would be icing on the cake.

Decided to treat myself for my birthday and get 4 Salmsons and another Pup

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Decided to treat myself for my birthday and get 4 Salmsons and another Pup
    Nice, but isn't your birthday in October?
    j/k j/k Happy birthday, Pete

Oh yes please!!

That is a lovely Jasta 11 Fokker Dr.I!!! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    That is a lovely Jasta 11 Fokker Dr.I!!! Great job!
    Dan's referring to this:

Name:	FokDr1-Steinhauser-400.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	324003

I've got a couple more in mind. I picked up Osprey's "Richthofen's Circus: Jagdgeschwader Nr 1" book, and it's got a lot of excellent and striking paint jobs inside.

That is one of my most looked through Osprey book. A lot of interesting profiles!

After adding a few Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 and Hanriot HD.2 seaplanes, I asked, "what's the biggest plane I can offer as a full color print?" Shapeways has a maximum print size of 130mm in full color Nylon 12, which translates to a wingspan of 18.7m at 1:144. That's a little over the wingspan of an A.E.G. G.IV. And that's a plane for which there are some fun, documented paint jobs. So... see below for the results. The project reminded me that hexagon paint over irregular fuselage shapes is really hard. (In 2D you can cheat and just project the hexagons onto the fuselage, but that doesn't work in 3D.) The sharkmouth plane has a dark lozenge hex on the fabric areas, but it's hard to see in this render.

Name:	AEGG4-157-16-medium.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	325301

Name:	AEGG4-1118-medium.jpg 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	325302

Name:	AEGG4-white7-medium.jpg 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	325303

Right now the internet is being a pain, though. Shapeways isn't rendering previews of the models (I've got a mail into their support), and miraheze.org, host of Wings of Linen, has a problem in their image-storage software that they're working hard to fix.

After adding a few Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 and Hanriot HD.2 seaplanes, I asked, "what's the biggest plane I can offer as a full color print?" Shapeways has a maximum print size of 130mm in full color Nylon 12, which translates to a wingspan of 18.7m at 1:144. That's a little over the wingspan of an A.E.G. G.IV. And that's a plane for which there are some fun, documented paint jobs. So... see below for the results. The project reminded me that hexagon paint over irregular fuselage shapes is really hard. (In 2D you can cheat and just project the hexagons onto the fuselage, but that doesn't work in 3D.) The sharkmouth plane has a dark lozenge hex on the fabric areas, but it's hard to see in this render.

Right now the internet is being a pain, though. Shapeways isn't rendering previews of the models (I've got a mail into their support), and miraheze.org, host of Wings of Linen, has a problem in their image-storage software that they're working hard to fix.
    I had seen that you had added a header for A.E.G. but had yet to add anything there...good to see yet more of these preprints coming...and yes, keep them coming! Rolands, anyone? D.IIs and D.VIs?

Name:	AEGG4-1118-medium.jpg 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	325302

Oh...oh...oh... I'm going to regret the price when this comes available, but yes please
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

And there I was, saying I wasn't going to buy any more pre-paints...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    And there I was, saying I wasn't going to buy any more pre-paints...
    RAF's response must be "bwa ha ha ha."

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    RAF's response must be "bwa ha ha ha."
    ...and then some!!!!!

I just had a look at Post # 1

Oh, My Giddy Aunt!!!!!

Anybody want to buy my car?

oooooooooh, AEGs. Looking forward to them.

Twist my rubber arm again, Daryl.
    Ordered 2 of the 3.

Yeah, Teaticket and camelbeagle, I know I said I wasn't going to last night ....

Ordered 2 of the 3.

Yeah, Teaticket and camelbeagle, I know I said I wasn't going to last night ....
    Hmmm... perhaps an intervention is warranted?

They are nice planes...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... perhaps an intervention is warranted?
    Or maybe a bank loan
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Ordered 2 of the 3.

You are the epitome of all-in, Pete

Sopwith Baby to go with them would be icing on the cake.
    Yes please

Having just bought two of the Hansa Brandenburg W29s (Along with a couple of the Hanriot H.D2s and an AEG, of course) I would also love to see the Sopwith Baby on the list

damn. wish i wouldve held off on getting a reviresco aeg! the build was a pain in the posterior and pieces were malformed or missing.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    damn. wish i wouldve held off on getting a reviresco aeg! the build was a pain in the posterior and pieces were malformed or missing.
    I got some, but never built them.

Now I doubt I ever will!

Sopwith Baby should be next after I stop doing Albatros D.I/D.II paint schemes.

Shapeways informed me that designs would be shipped in a sintered "cage" to help protect them during shipping. And at no extra cost. Now, does that mean all of them or just the big ones? Full color only, or paintable too? Dunno, they weren't specific. I've seen two planes released from their cages so far.. one looked great and the other had some color anomalies near the cage-bars. (Thanks for the heads-up from Pete.) We're working with Shapeways to figure that out.

Oh, and there's a new single-color high-detail plastic available from Shapeways. I've ordered a test plane in that material to see how it looks, paints, and whether it's brittle. I'll let you know when that arrives whether it's a good hobby material.

Daryl, we really appreciate your energy and creativity! Great designs!

Sopwith Baby should be next after I stop doing Albatros D.I/D.II paint schemes.

Shapeways informed me that designs would be shipped in a sintered "cage" to help protect them during shipping. And at no extra cost. Now, does that mean all of them or just the big ones? Full color only, or paintable too? Dunno, they weren't specific. I've seen two planes released from their cages so far.. one looked great and the other had some color anomalies near the cage-bars. (Thanks for the heads-up from Pete.) We're working with Shapeways to figure that out.

Oh, and there's a new single-color high-detail plastic available from Shapeways. I've ordered a test plane in that material to see how it looks, paints, and whether it's brittle. I'll let you know when that arrives whether it's a good hobby material.
    Thank you so much for moving forward with offering new products! I know that I have personally poked for the Belgian Pups, and bought a couple when you added that to the preprinted Pup line. The Albatros D.I/D.IIs will be some of the next planes I buy, and I am still hoping for some Roland D.IIs in Jasta 25 scheme! Regardless of my personal longings for odd planes, again, thank you for keeping Wings alive. As Ares cannot seem to produce planes, new or old, what you do provides us with continued growth!

Any plans to expand to WWII aircraft? I would love to see some Wildcats and Zero's in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Any plans to expand to WWII aircraft? I would love to see some Wildcats and Zero's in the mix.
    I have my hands full with WWI. I'll leave the WWII planes to someone else.

And thanks all! I wish there were something we could do about making maneuver card decks easier to acquire. But that one is clearly owned by Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Gary, not sure if you've tried these but a good source for WWII planes is: armaments in miniature

Thank youf for your oncoming hard work on new planes Daryl, you are the best. Few new pieces ordered and coming my way soon. Now I can concentrate on big bombers with my paper modeling effort, because I believe all the small planes will be sooner or later in your shapeways collection.

Daryl/RAF - as Darryl/predhead said in posting #434 above, thank you for "keeping Wings alive"

Just when you thought it was safe to have a look at Daryl's RAF page again there's D.IIs and, and, and. It's never safe to look Order will be on its way. Keep up the great work Daryl

Oh boy, i have bad luck with Shapeways. They messed up my order again. This time the print quality and color is OK. But I ordered 5 models and two of them are totaly different models from what I ordered. Complaint sent to Shapeways. They reprinted everything bad so far, so there is good chance they will solve this too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    Oh boy, i have bad luck with Shapeways. They messed up my order again. This time the print quality and color is OK. But I ordered 5 models and two of them are totaly different models from what I ordered. Complaint sent to Shapeways. They reprinted everything bad so far, so there is good chance they will solve this too.
    Shapeways customer service is great. Every time I have has a bad print they have replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Shapeways customer service is great. Every time I have has a bad print they have replaced it.
    Perhaps because they get such a lot of practice??

Did anyone recently receive full-color prints in "cages", other than the AEGs? If so, did you see any effect on the color of the plane?

Yes, I did. Salmson 2 and D.W.F C.V had cages. Colors are OK compared to colored prins I have from the past. Planes seem to be bit dusty from printing powder, some dust was in the bags planes were on. I did not have this in the past orders. It is more comlicated for them to clean it properly in the cage I suppose. But no problem to clen it after cage removal. On one plane there was cage pattern slightly visible (little different colour hue) on upper wing. But I have this in the past too. Did they print the cages earlier too, only remove them?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    The last three orders have all had errors, from a less than ideal print, to sending the replacement for that, but it was the wrong plane! But, they do seem to correct in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Perhaps because they get such a lot of practice??
    Well batted!

Daryl, you're a star
    The following arrived today, in a form of excellent packaging I haven't seen before, although others may have done so already. Each model in its own little cage, which is easily snipped with scissors for removal.

The aircraft models are superb and i can find no fault with them. Thank you so much. I'm really delighted with them and am looking forward to flying each and every one of them

Name:	Arrivals 4 May 2023 1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	326072 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEG G4 1.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	326069

Name:	AEG G4 2.jpg 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	326070 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEG G4 3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	326071

Name:	Hansa Brandenburg W29 1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	326073 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hansa Brandenburg W29 2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	326074

Name:	Hansa Brandenburg W29 3.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	326075 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hanriot HD2 1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	326076

Name:	Hanriot HD2 2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	326077 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hanriot HD2 3.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	326078

Just have to find a use for the cages now Possibly a frame for paper aircraft hangers

The AEG especially looks fantastic!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes in full color?
    By ReducedAirFact in forum 3D printed Models
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:21
  2. WGF Color: German Five-Color Top Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 10:27
  3. WGF Color: German Four-Color Bottom Lozenge Camouflage