Ares Games
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Full-Color 3D Prints (RAF)

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    where did you get those?
    This thread, page #1, post #1 - Daryl's Shapeways 3-D Colour Printed minis, via Etsy

Now 79 different schemes available, yes, 79!

I'm going to have to postpone my retirement....
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Tim. Did you have to provide stand and pegs? and manoeuvre decks?

79? Oh my….Hard to pick a few when I like them all

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Tim. Did you have to provide stand and pegs? and manoeuvre decks?
    Yes, I did.

Fortunately, I already had 30-odd 'Nexus' and 'Ares' Fokker Dr.1s, and 20-odd 'Nexus' and 'Ares' Pfalz D.IIIs, plus several bags of extra pegs, so these were easy to accommodate.

I already possessed 4 'Shapeways' Pfalz D.XIIs painted up by myself, so had ordered 4 custom Pfalz D.XII bases from Keith, about a year before he shut up shop.
    Had I known he was closing, I would have acquired lots more bases from him!

I copied and printed out 4 'Q' decks for my Jasta 32b Pfalz D.XIIs, before discovering the 'Q' decks in one of the 'Nexus' Booster card packs, of which I have quite a few, so i actually needn't have bothered making my own at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ...Happy Birthday to me!

Attachment 311026
    Happy belated, and those planes are looking pretty sharp. Crisp prints. Making me feel even better about my Hanriots that are winging my way!

...and the unofficial plane cards are all linked on the Etsy pages, in the description section, as well as posted to https://linen.miraheze.org. Tip: click on the 700 × 1,066 pixels version and print them at 400-404dpi and they'll be mini euro card size: 44x67mm.

Awesome birthday presents, Tim!
    Happy belated

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Crisp prints. Making me feel even better about my Hanriots that are winging my way!
    I'm looking forward to my incoming Hanriots, too!

...Happy Birthday to me!

Attachment 311026
    Happy belated birthday Tim. And I like the look of that Pfalz D.XII. I too have bought another one of Daryl's fab aeroplanes. It should be with by the 22nd, just in time for a game against my regular opponant.

Super news! Shapeways just opened up this material to be ordered directly from the Shapeways marketplace! No more Etsy! (Yes, this was a surprise to me. There was no advance warning.)

I've done the work to transition all my full-color models over. Go to https://www.shapeways.com/shops/raf?...D%3D%3D%3D&s=0

This means:
    • Cheaper prices -- since the prices no longer have to cover substantial Etsy fees and taxes. For instance, a SPAD 13 is about US$10-$11 cheaper on Shapeways direct.
    • No more double taxation -- sometimes both Shapeways and Etsy ended up charging sales tax and/or VAT. Or neither charging it and then having a package show up with a tax bill attached.
    • Easier tracking -- you can see what stage your order is in directly from the Shapeways website.
    • Better tools -- you can use their 3D viewer to examine a model from all angles. You can use their search engine.
    • Another material choice -- for $3 extra you can have them spray the model with a matte spray. Though I didn't notice much difference on one I got.
    • Better support -- you can more easily go directly to support@shapeways.com since you ordered directly from them.

Great news.

I just noticed that SPAD 13 (I clicked on a few but probably all of them) has wierd texture maping on propeler in Shapeways 3d preview window. Is it OK?

the phrase "you can never have enough Albatrosses" struck again. The Allemonder D.III will soon be joining my Jasta

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Super news! Shapeways just opened up this material to be ordered directly from the Shapeways marketplace! No more Etsy! (Yes, this was a surprise to me. There was no advance warning.)

I've done the work to transition all my full-color models over. Go to https://www.shapeways.com/shops/raf?...D%3D%3D%3D&s=0

This means:
    • Cheaper prices -- since the prices no longer have to cover substantial Etsy fees and taxes. For instance, a SPAD 13 is about US$10-$11 cheaper on Shapeways direct.
    • No more double taxation -- sometimes both Shapeways and Etsy ended up charging sales tax and/or VAT. Or neither charging it and then having a package show up with a tax bill attached.
    • Easier tracking -- you can see what stage your order is in directly from the Shapeways website.
    • Better tools -- you can use their 3D viewer to examine a model from all angles. You can use their search engine.
    • Another material choice -- for $3 extra you can have them spray the model with a matte spray. Though I didn't notice much difference on one I got.
    • Better support -- you can more easily go directly to support@shapeways.com since you ordered directly from them.
    That is great news, Daryl. Glad shapeways finally caught up with your excellent work

* And you can add them to your previous order for free shipping. Got me for 5 more
    Last edited by malachi; 02-07-2022 at 07:29. Reason: had to buy some more

Huzzah! Good to see these moving to a reduced price. Now I must buy more!

just a quick check. Should Allenroder be Karl Allmenroder?

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post
    Great news.

I just noticed that SPAD 13 (I clicked on a few but probably all of them) has wierd texture maping on propeler in Shapeways 3d preview window. Is it OK?
    The model is fine -- and it prints okay -- but it appears that their preview tool doesn't handle the fact that the propeller and guns have separate texture maps from the rest. I'll file a bug on their forums, but who knows when they'll fix it.

just a quick check. Should Allenroder be Karl Allmenroder?
    I've been using the Above The Lines/Above the Trenches/Over the Front series for spelling and they have it as Karl Allmenröder. I've run across a lot of places where authors differ on name spellings. Which is understandable with Russian names but I'm not sure why there is variance on Latin-alphabet names, e.g. Karl vs. Carl, Aloys vs. Alois.

YES!

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

<<squeal!>> rusted iron hinges moving
    <<creak!>> old oaken timbers shifting
    <<whoosh!>> rushing water, rising to a torrent

Flood Gates Open!

<<help!!!>>

<<squeal!>> rusted iron hinges moving
    <<creak!>> old oaken timbers shifting
    <<whoosh!>> rushing water, rising to a torrent

Flood Gates Open!

<<help!!!>>
    So Tim; do you get time and a half for your overtime, or comp-time like my sister did in her medical job ?

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I get time-and-a-half; and that isn't going to come close to covering it!

Questions, always more questions.

First thanks to Dan for the Allmenroder D.III.

Now. I've found an Allmenroder card in Jager's albums (card 69) How do I print it off?

I found the blank D.III card in the files. Main question. How do I put a Allmenroder's D.III onto the card?

This RAF stuff has opened a totally new area of the game. And more planes

All of Daryl's 3D Full Colour planes have a card on his Wings of Linen wiki site

Instructions for printing them are in post #158 above...
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 02-24-2022 at 10:38. Reason: post number changed after 4 posts were removed

This means:

Think I've managed to download the card. Now will have to print

Great news Daryl

... But I can't let you have *all* the fun

Just testing for now but it says this should print.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sw1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	311313

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Great news Daryl

Nice start Paul! There are plenty of paint schemes and plane types to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Great news Daryl

Name:	sw1.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	311313
    The more the merrier!!!

Nice start Paul! There are plenty of paint schemes and plane types to go around.
    Ain't that the truth?

Go for it.

Does anyone know whether this Belgian Hanriot (No.78), now a museum plane, has camouflage upper wing surfaces? (Or, more importantly, had them during the war...) I've seen somewhere that it was flown by Olieslagers, but I don't have solid confirmation of that either. (Note, there's another out there with similar cowl markings but not the same decking and fin.) I think I can just make out camo on the top surface of the lower wing, but that might just be lighting and shadows. I'm also stumped about the text on the headrest.

Name:	Olieslagers_78_1e_6.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	311317
    (Photo license: "You are free to use this picture for any purpose as long as you credit its author, Ad Meskens. Example: Š Ad Meskens / Wikimedia Commons") So... Š Ad Meskens / Wikimedia Commons
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 02-19-2022 at 17:04. Reason: photo credited as requested

Thanks! I'll get that one finished off.

Awesome! I have been hoping to see that one.

Thanks! I'll get that one finished off.
    YAY!

went old school for my "J" deck. Photocopied a front and a back side by side, cut them out, then folded and glued. They will do the job. I've got the pegs. Wait for Gaming Enhancements to get the bases then sit back and wait for my Albatros to land.

Announcing a new type available in full-color: the iconic Sopwith Camel!

Name:	SopCam-Breadner.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	311699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SopCam-Collishaw.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	311700

Name:	SopCam-Hinchliffe.jpg 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	311701 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SopCam-Vaughn.jpg 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	311702

While most Camel paint schemes are pretty mundane, I have to say the Breadner and Hinchliffe ones were very challenging! If you're wondering why Collishaw's is a different base color, it's because I did that one as PC12 (Red-Brown) rather than PC10 (Khaki). No one is really sure whether Naval Camels were in PC10 or PC12, and I thought it looked dramatic in PC12. Vaughn, an American, flew Camels with the USAS's 17th Aero Squadron, though the unit was attached to British command, and that's why it had RAF markings rather than American.

I'm sure there will be more Camel schemes in days and weeks to come. Though I think I'll take a break for a few days.

Wow, those are excellent, Daryl! The pc12 Collishaw is a nice change.
    All of those units with the exception of 3 Naval are listed in encounters with Seefrosta, and I suppose it's possible that may have happened also.
    For Camel encounters RNAS 4, Seaplane-Defence, RAF 203, 204, 210, 213 (Collishaw's, six encounters), and 148th Aero are mentioned.
    I'd be interested in more 13 and 10 Naval if you do them... after your well-deserved break
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 02-20-2022 at 00:20. Reason: Copyright reasons

Announcing a new type available in full-color: the iconic Sopwith Camel!

I'm sure there will be more Camel schemes in days and weeks to come.
    YOU GIT!!

Overdraft time....

No-one is forcing you to buy them, Tim
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    That happens by there mere existence.

Tim's bank manager squeals.

Eddie Stobart smiles, hoping he'll get the next contract for moving Tim's even bigger collection to shows

From the philosopher Descarte "they exist so therefore I buy"

Question

There is some debate about whether Voss' plane had the factory streaked-olive paint or whether the cowl and wheels would have been repainted in Jasta 10 chromium yellow, so I included both and I'll let you decide.
    So, not having a clue there even was a debate I was going to ask the question, but, shockingly, I actually found some useful information on the topic! For anyone else who was clueless about the topic, check HERE. And for general info about Voss and his triplane try HERE.

good articles Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I think his Id is holding a gun to his Ego (and his Superego is not looking)
    Karl

Another set of prints arrived at the RAF household:

Name:	AlbD3-Loeser-2.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	311732 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokD7-Stoer-5.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	311733 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FokDr1-Voss-yellow-2.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	311734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD1-Baracchini-5.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	311735 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfaD3a-Kaus-3.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	311736

I was especially impressed with the cards on the Baracchini Hanriot H.D.1!

You took a break? Who said you could take a break?! That Breadner Camel is sick! wow.............(more $$$$$$$$$evaporates..................)

Suggestions are always good! I plan on looking at a couple more stripe-nosed N10 Camels, Arthur Wood, and B7275, which was flown by Robert A. Little (47 victories) and others.

There is a lot of copywrite stuff here gents. If you have placed it on the thread please edit it out of your posts.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for complying so promptly gents.
    There are just a couple more to do from earlier posts, which I will not delete until those who posted have time to comply. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we were rather overdoing it especially with the Osprey photos.
    You can always give the book and page ref if you wish to draw someones attention to a picture.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ach. money, but the Hanriot is so tempting!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes in full color?
    By ReducedAirFact in forum 3D printed Models
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:21
  2. WGF Color: German Five-Color Top Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 10:27
  3. WGF Color: German Four-Color Bottom Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings