Ares Games
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Full-Color 3D Prints (RAF)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Daryl, you're a star
    The following arrived today, in a form of excellent packaging I haven't seen before, although others may have done so already. Each model in its own little cage, which is easily snipped with scissors for removal.

The aircraft models are superb and i can find no fault with them. Thank you so much. I'm really delighted with them and am looking forward to flying each and every one of them
    Thanks for sharing the pictures! I have be worrying about whether the cages would affect the colors, but those look fine.

Just have to find a use for the cages now Possibly a frame for paper aircraft hangers
    That gives me an idea....if they could make the cages have a hinged lid, they would be handy storage boxes for the planes! What do you think? Should I suggest it to Shapeways?

They do look good, freed from captivity
    Definitely on my wishlist.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    That gives me an idea....if they could make the cages have a hinged lid, they would be handy storage boxes for the planes! What do you think? Should I suggest it to Shapeways?
    If they're already doing the cages, it seems trivial to modify it to include a hinge. Go ahead and make the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Daryl, you're a star
    The following arrived today, in a form of excellent packaging I haven't seen before, although others may have done so already. Each model in its own little cage, which is easily snipped with scissors for removal.

The aircraft models are superb and i can find no fault with them. Thank you so much. I'm really delighted with them and am looking forward to flying each and every one of them

Attachment 326072 Attachment 326069

Attachment 326070 Attachment 326071

Attachment 326073 Attachment 326074

Attachment 326075 Attachment 326076

Attachment 326077 Attachment 326078

Just have to find a use for the cages now Possibly a frame for paper aircraft hangers
    These are incredible!

The full colour minis look really stunning Mike.

Beautiful little beasties, locked in those mean cages...

I may have to set a few free...

Dammit!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Probably way too fragile for that Daryl. The cages are quite brittle and break easily. I was thinking they might stand up to having a coating of paper, to give the hangars shape and form, then snipping away the front. But I haven't yet put that to the test.

OK Daryl. Here's the first trial. Bessoneau hangar. Cages used as a base, thin card used to cover, glued together and a quick lick of paint. No where near perfect, but shows that the cage can be used, in this case, from a tandem. Sorry, no RFC models painted up for this yet so the hangar has been captured by the Germans It all needs to be measured out more precisely, the interior painted first, the colours worked on and a base added. I've made a template for the next one, out of paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bessoneau Hangar 5.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	326274 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bessoneau Hangar 6.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	326275

I have to say, it may be easier not to use the cage at all, but I'm still experimenting. I still believe the cages are too brittle for use as permanent storage.

Thanks Mike for trying out repurposing the cages. Given your previous expertise, their use is probably problematic.

That's a good experiment, even if not entirely successful! I think the cages will be serving the purpose of protecting the model during shipping, then, even if they're too fragile for anything else.

Back before Shapeways changed their pricing model, I had a 3D printed cover-it-yourself Bessonneau hangar frame that was pretty cheap! But with a change to the pricing models it could no longer be had at a very low price, alas. (On the other hand, there was no full-color printing back then, so overall I am grateful with 3D printing progress.)

Name:	Bes200.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	326276

Back before Shapeways changed their pricing model, I had a 3D printed cover-it-yourself Bessonneau hangar frame that was pretty cheap! But with a change to the pricing models it could no longer be had at a very low price, alas. (On the other hand, there was no full-color printing back then, so overall I am grateful with 3D printing progress.)

Name: Bes200.jpg Views: 3 Size: 20.2 KB
    Wow, wish I'd managed to get a few of those. Still, I shall work on a better model and see what I can come up with.

Back before Shapeways changed their pricing model, I had a 3D printed cover-it-yourself Bessonneau hangar frame that was pretty cheap! But with a change to the pricing models it could no longer be had at a very low price, alas.

Name:	Bes200.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	326276
    Thanks to your alert about the imminent price hike I managed to get three of those hangars - haven't done anything with them as yet

Having finished off some early-war Morane-Saulnier L's and their Pfalz equivalentsš, I decided to next work on a plane type that no one gets excited to fly. But you can't deny its historical importance! The R.A.F. B.E.2c:

Name:	RAFBE2c-Pulling-600.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	327092

š sorry, pun intended
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 06-01-2023 at 11:31.

Looks god, but the MG pointing up for the pilot; I've not seen that mounting except on anti-zepp planes, and then a B.E. 12.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Looks god, but the MG pointing up for the pilot; I've not seen that mounting except on anti-zepp planes, and then a B.E. 12.
    Indeed, this one was used by RNAS pilot E.L. Pulling to bring down Zeppelin L.21 in November 1916. (It's on the cover of Windsock Datafile 42.) I assume he tilted it upward for firing, rather than relying on the luck of firing through the propeller, but I'm not certain on that.

I'll also be adding some BE2c's with no machine guns and/or the "goal post" mounting between pilot and observer. And maybe a Belgian BE2c if I can find a color scheme for it.

Having finished off some early-war Morane-Saulnier L's and their Pfalz equivalentsš, I decided to next work on a plane type that no one gets excited to fly. But you can't deny its historical importance! The R.A.F. B.E.2c:

Name:	RAFBE2c-Pulling-600.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	327092

š sorry, pun intended
    Glad you are doing these! Super common aircraft that needs far more table representation!

Belgian BE2c, at your request:

Name:	raf_be2c_belgium_by_claveworks_d1dyygo-pre.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	327094

And if Belgian, I'm buying!

And maybe a Belgian BE2c if I can find a color scheme for it.
    My ears are burning... how about 4? I'll send an email...

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    My ears are burning... how about 4? I'll send an email...
    Better than Belgian chocolate...well, that might be a stretch!

Just got in after a WoG Game at my club. S.E,5a,s versus Fokker D.VII,s. Honours even- one on each side shot down. I was first to go taking 3, yes 3 boom cards in the first two dogfights engaged in. Luckily we play 5 points for the boom cards or I would have gone down even sooner. Ces't la vie! I did manage to bail out so was able to return to the fight.

I think I have posted this on the wrong page. Obviously still suffering from the trauma of being bested by one of those pesky Brits.
    Last edited by Rebel; 06-01-2023 at 15:09. Reason: Idiocy!

The last step before I customize a plane for different pilots' paint schemes is to create a "generic" version of the plane, with all the common parts in the right color. That's the starting point for adding different paint jobs for different pilots -- all the national, unit, and personal markings are laid over that generic color scheme.

Here's what I'm working on currently: The LFG Roland D.VIa and D.VIb. (D.VIa shown)

Name:	generic-D6a.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	327504

This one was particularly tricky because of not only the lozenge wings but the clinker-built fuselage of wooden strips. The level of color detail is probably overkill for the 3D prints, but it looks better in the renders.

Now to pick out a few specific paint schemes! Fortunately I've got both Wingnut Wings guides and Windsock Datafiles for this one.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 06-11-2023 at 18:38.

Daryl - the detail on the clinker-built fuselage is impressive

The last step before I customize a plane for different pilots' paint schemes is to create a "generic" version of the plane, with all the common parts in the right color. That's the starting point for adding different paint jobs for different pilots -- all the national, unit, and personal markings are laid over that generic color scheme.

Here's what I'm working on currently: The LFG Roland D.VIa and D.VIb. (D.VIa shown)

Name:	generic-D6a.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	327504

This one was particularly tricky because of not only the lozenge wings but the clinker-built fuselage of wooden strips. The level of color detail is probably overkill for the 3D prints, but it looks better in the renders.

Now to pick out a few specific paint schemes! Fortunately I've got both Wingnut Wings guides and Windsock Datafiles for this one.
    Happy days Daryl. I am looking forward to seeing what colour schemes that you choose

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Just got in after a WoG Game at my club. S.E,5a,s versus Fokker D.VII,s. Honours even- one on each side shot down. I was first to go taking 3, yes 3 boom cards in the first two dogfights engaged in. Luckily we play 5 points for the boom cards or I would have gone down even sooner. Ces't la vie! I did manage to bail out so was able to return to the fight.

I think I have posted this on the wrong page. Obviously still suffering from the trauma of being bested by one of those pesky Brits.
    I feel your pain Reg. I too have felt the wrath of S.E,5's in my previous games against Hayden.

Rolands should be interesting.

Thanky wery much for your beautifull work on BE2 and Roland planes, Daryl. I will surrely get few of those.

Thanks, I plan to do 3-6 more Roland D.VI paint schemes after the Kissenberth that I just finished.

I cannot wait to see the other Roland's Daryl.

Thanks, I plan to do 3-6 more Roland D.VI paint schemes after the Kissenberth that I just finished.
    YES! I mean, yeah, that's cool.

I second that. As I will be buying the Kissenberth Roland D.VIa. Because I really like the look of this scout type

Ever considered going into WW2 biplanes Daryl, because I can never get enough Fairy Swordfish or Albacores.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Ever considered going into WW2 biplanes Daryl, because I can never get enough Fairy Swordfish or Albacores.
    Not really...I have my hands full with WWI types, and I'd have to double my library to cover WWII. I leave that exercise to another modeller. (Never say never, I know.)

Lots of interesting planes! Awesome work there Daryl!
    Last edited by camelbeagle; 06-14-2023 at 12:26.

I just got my order (BE2c and Roland) and I must say thel level of details on textures (little numbers and graphics) seems to be better than before (I can read tiny serial numbers on rudder with no problem). Did you upress the texture resolution, Daryl, (if yes, than it is worth the work) or do shapeways upgrade the print technology? One or the other the prints are beautifull. And absolutely no print errors on colour, only this time one model has bended tail. But shapeways will send me replacement for sure.

Daryl, by any chance, have you some of this plane on your TODO list?

Halberstadt D.II/D.III
    Junkers J.1
    Nieuport 24bis
    RAF F.E.8
    Morane AI
    Dorand AR.1 A2
    A. Whitworth F.K.8
    Airco DH.9

Airco DH9 and DH9a would be awesome! I would like to see some sopwith triplanes myself.

• No change to the the textures...perhaps they've got a new generation of printers in or something? Or better-trained operators. Sorry to hear about the bent tail...you can try to correct that with heat.
    • My to-do list is still pretty long (especially two-seaters), but it's somewhat limited by which planes have well-documented paint schemes. For instance, I wanted to do the FBA flying boat, but I could only find a couple color paint schemes for them.
    • Sopwith Triplanes are next on the list.
    • And .. oh.. I added another 94th Aero Squadron showbird (see it near the end of the original post), to prepare for US Independence Day.

I added a Sopwith Triplane in French colors, since a single escadrille of them were given to the French Navy, and they operated out of Dunkerque. I don't know if anyone is really interested in a French Triplane, but assuming someone is, a question: should I add one or two more with different numbers, so you can build a mini-squadron, or is one of them enough?

Name:	SopTri-Fr4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	327912

I added a Sopwith Triplane in French colors, since a single escadrille of them were given to the French Navy, and they operated out of Dunkerque. I don't know if anyone is really interested in a French Triplane, but assuming someone is, a question: should I add one or two more with different numbers, so you can build a mini-squadron, or is one of them enough?
    I think add a couple more with different numbers.

Well, you've done it again!
    I will now abandon my French Sopwith Triplane now you've produced it!

Depending on how much work it would entail, I'd personally like to see a trio of French Triplanes
    One question, though - shouldn't the tail stripes be nose-to-tail Blue-White-Red, instead of the Red-White-Blue on your computer render?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ..One question, though - shouldn't the tail stripes be nose-to-tail Blue-White-Red, instead of the Red-White-Blue on your computer render?
    I was thinking that too !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    One question, though - shouldn't the tail stripes be nose-to-tail Blue-White-Red, instead of the Red-White-Blue on your computer render?
    I think the French triplanes had red next to the fin and blue rearmost. Why? There are a couple of photos of them in the ones in the Wingnut Wings set (http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/produ...tid=3039&cat=1), and the fin-adjacent stripe is much darker than the rearmost, which is how red shows relative to blue in the films of that time. The fourth "Archive Photo" from the end shows planes 12, 16, 14, 11, and then a few unidentified, and on 14 and 11 it's clear that the fin-adjacent stripe is much darker. (Thought they look more even on 12 and 16.) If you do an online search for "French Sopwith Triplanes" you'll probably see a different photo of 16 and 12 and they show the darker stripe next to the fin.

Later, four of those planes were returned to the RNAS, where they served briefly with Naval 12 before becoming trainers. There's an interesting picture in the Windsock Datafile where one of them still has French-style roundel and rudder but has been given the UK-style serial number N5386, and the French serial number has presumably been painted over in PC12 or PC10.

Edit: I found another photo on Wikimedia Commons, but the provenance is questionable so I won't reproduce it here. But here's the URL: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SopTri2.jpg.
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 07-01-2023 at 09:00. Reason: new photo

Cor!

Never knew that!

To quote 'South Park' "I've learned something today."

Thanks, Daryl!

Well Dary, you've got hold of my wallet again ...
    Just placed an order for 14 more planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Hopefully you'll enjoy them! I've got the two other French triplanes on deck, and then I'm going to do the whole Black Flight (Naval 10 B) except Collishaw.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Shapeways planes in full color?
    By ReducedAirFact in forum 3D printed Models
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-15-2024, 06:21
  2. WGF Color: German Five-Color Top Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2018, 10:27
  3. WGF Color: German Four-Color Bottom Lozenge Camouflage
    By ReducedAirFact in forum Colors and Markings