Ares Games

Thread: BYM Mission 2 "All for One and One for All" 12/10/1916 - by ShadowDragon

Default BYM Mission 2 "All for One and One for All" 12/10/1916 - by ShadowDragon

OTT-BYM Mission 02: All for One and One for All – or a Free for All, 12th October 1916 by Mikeemagnus:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...One-for-All%94

Ah, the chivalric code of the knights of the air! All for one and one for all! Honor and courtesy to your noble opponents. Just how it must have been in the Middle Ages. Let’s check in on our X Squadron, RNAS knights to see what’s happening….

It had been a quiet mission so far. Flight Commander Nigel Flashman (aka Flashman) looked to his wingmen – Flight Sublieutenant Allan Smith (aka Smith) on the left and Flight Sublieutenant Donald MacDonald (aka Jock) on the right to see if they were okay. All was good. They were supposed to rendezvous with some RFC bombers but, as so often was the case, they were no-shows for one reason or another – poor navigation. Someone should do something about that – like global ability to find one’ position. Of course, if could be for very bad reasons that Flashman would rather not consider.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM0201.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	304035

Well, here was something to liven up the mission. Three stray Hun scouts – one for each of them. A Fokker E.III (Fwbl Otto Marwitz) facing Smith. Were they still sending up poor chaps in those crates? Lucky man – Smith. A Halberstadt (Obltn Fritz Böhning) opposed Flashman. A credible foe, but not one that Flashman couldn’t handle.

Name:	BYM0202.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	304036

On the right Jock’s opponent was one of those new nefarious Albatri with twin-machineguns (Ltn Reinhold Piechulek). Enough to make one’s blood run cold.

Name:	BYM0203.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	304037

And, so our X Squadron knights of the air, eschewing all sensible military tactics, such as concentration of effort, paired off against the enemy knights of the air.

Name:	BYM0204.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	304038

All down the line of aircraft the opposing knights met in the duels – Smith and Otto traded blows. Smith got the worst of the damage but Otto’s Fokker was smoking badly, obscuring Otto’s vision.

Name:	BYM0205.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	304039

In the middle, Flashman inflicted considerable damage on the Halberstadt of the enemy flight leader, but took a grazing bullet to this head – ouch! That hurt like the blazes.

Name:	BYM0206.jpg 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	304040

Finally, Jock and Reinhold made not much more than a gesture than a real attempt to come to blows. Perhaps Reinhold was not yet used to the powerful Albatros and Jock was a little leery of his foe.

Name:	BYM0207.jpg 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	304041

All of the pilots did their various fancy manoeuvres for another joust at their opposite numbers. Smith did a nice tight turn and got a first shot in but misjudged the deflection angle and missed.

Name:	BYM0208.jpg 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	304042

Immediately following Smith’s futile shot, Smith, Otto, Fritz and Flashman came together in a general melee. Otto got the worst of it – the smoke from his Fokker obscured his and Fritz’s plane - or so it seemed since both Smith and Flashman targeted him. One wouldn’t want to think our RNAS chaps were ganging up in and un-chivalric manner. Certainly Fritz could see nothing and fired into empty space.

Name:	BYM0209.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	304043

Surely the smoke must have been a factor – why else would the two experienced flight leaders collide? Or, perhaps they were playing a game of ‘chicken’. Fortunately for both they survived – even if it was with a few singed feathers.

Name:	BYM0210.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	304044

Let’s not forget about Jock and Reinhold. Having reoriented themselves for another pass, they warily approached each other – and rather gingerly firing the machineguns at each other. Jock was fortunate – one of his bullets hit something vital and bright, red flames flickered from the Albatros. Jock smiled. Reinhold? Well, it wasn’t a smile.

Name:	BYM0211.jpg 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	304045

In the confusion of the general melee, Smith came out of it with a prime opportunity to fire at Reinhold. He should have held his fire in a chivalric manner but Smith was rough and ready Canuck from the wilds of British Columbia and more familiar with Mother Nature’s ‘red of tooth and claw’ than the manners of medieval knights. Here you go, you…., Smith thought, and took the un-knightly shot offered him by chance. There may have been something from the damage Jock did or not but either way a portion of Reinhold’s plane blew apart and the broken-winged Albatros fluttered down to No Man’s Land.

Name:	BYM0212.jpg 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	304046

After this disaster for the Adler's, it was gloves off and a knightly tournament became a street brawl. Fritz’s blood was up – he had had enough of the dastardly X Squadron that had cause them so much grief and sorrow. A long distance shot disabled Smith’s rudder controls. Smith did his best to return fire but the thrill of blast had distracted him.

Name:	BYM0213.jpg 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	304047

Jock tried to intervene to distract the Fritz from chasing the rash, young Canadian. Jock was a former flight commander – demoted for striking one of those senior officers that get good men killed for foolish notions - so he still had a good deal of that sense of responsibility that goes with being a flight commander.

Name:	BYM0214.jpg 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	304048

Smith merrily continued on his way – oblivious to the danger of Fritz – next in his sights was his original counterpart – Otto. Otto misjudged the speed of Smith’s Pup and fired too soon. Just how Smith managed to hit Otto’s Fokker with the rather acute angled deflection shot is a mystery to everyone – and perhaps to Smith. But there was new use for the handy mallet which history will show was only useful for Vickers but can one really trust history.

Name:	BYM0215.jpg 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	304049

Smith was lucky because Jock was on the tail of Fritz who was desperately trying to shake the Scotsman.

Name:	BYM0216.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	304050

The chase ended in a general melee involving all five remaining aeroplanes. By now the nimble Pups had gained altitude on the Alders, which was fortunate for the lucky Smith or else he would have been in a collision with both the Fokker and Halberstadt. Flashman had returned to the fray and joined with Jock in taking out Fritz. Down went the Halberstadt – see the fire burning bright to mark the descent of the stricken aeroplane.

Name:	BYM0217.jpg 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	304051

Realizing it was now a very ungentlemanly three-on-one and that the rules of the game had changed, Otto made a break for it. Perhaps with his rather slow Fokker in comparison to faster Pups, that wasn’t such a good idea, but Otto didn’t have many good options and a couple of the Pups were pointed the wrong way.

Name:	BYM0218.jpg 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	304052

Unfortunately for Otto, that still left Jock.

Name:	BYM0219.jpg 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	304053

Jock dove down on his badly damaged prey and that was the end for the last of the Alder knights of the air.

Name:	BYM0220.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	304054

Down below, an injured Reinhold had somehow managed to escape his burning wreckage in time to see his flight leader crashing in flames near him. He rush over the torn terrain of No Man’s Land to successfully extricate Fritz but dazed by his injury, Reinhold ran in the wrong direction. The Tommies opposite shouted encouragement to them in what little German they knew – “Hier, Fritz”. Now what are the odds that one of the pilots would be named Fritz???

Both Fritz and Reinhold ended up in a British hospital – under close guard, mind you, and the tender care of their best nurse, Matron Schultz. They were even visited by a Royal Flying Corps major, an Irishman, to see if they were being looked after. Now how’s that for chivalric behaviour. A pity that one night when our gallant foes were nearly mended their guard had become a little lax, and the two Adler pilots slipped out of the prisoner’s ward. And, where did that automobile waiting just outside come from? It wasn’t for the vigilance of one of the RFC patients, I believe a 2Lt Vagabond, both of them would have made their escape. Reinhold was recaptured but Fritz made his escape in the automobile. The RFC major must surely have been disappointed.

Victory Points:

Seadogs:
    Scouts shot down = 3 X 5 points
    Total = 15 points

Adlers
    Total 0 points

Seadog Victory
    Last edited by flash; 07-17-2021 at 02:54. Reason: addition

Butcher’s Bill

The Seadogs
    FCdr Nigel Flashman - CDL Pup / RTB / WIA / 1 kill
    C&W = 12 - 1 WIA +1 RTB = All well when you land well!
    (Note – it was not a FRTB, so no crash roll.]

Name:	BYM02BBFlashman.jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	304060

FSL Jock MacDonald - Blue Pup / RTB / - / 1 kill

Name:	BYM02BBJock.jpg 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	304058

FSL Al Smith - 'S' Pup / RTB / - / 1 kill

Name:	BYM02BBSmith.jpg 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	304055

The Adlers
    Obltn Fritz Böhning - Halberstadt DIII / FLM NML / - / 0 kills
    C&W = 8 -2 FLM -1 NML = 5; Injured - rolled 6 = skip 3
    E&E = 5 - 1 WIC +1 NML - 1 FLM = 4; Captured and escaped! - rolled 5 = skip 3

Name:	BYM02BBFritz.jpg 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	304059

Ltn Reinhold Piechulek - Albatros DI / EXP NML / - / 0 kills
    C&W = 7 -3 EXP -1 NML = 3; Injured - rolled 3 = skip 3
    E&E = 3 -1 WIC +1 NML -1 EXP = 2; Captured! The war ended for this pilot…

Name:	BYM02BBReinhold.jpg 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	304056

Fwbl Otto Marwitz - Fokker EIII / SD FT / WIA / 0 kills
    C&W = 7 -1 WIA -1 SD = 5; Injured - rolled 3 = skip 2

Name:	BYM02BBOtto.jpg 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	304057

Well that was 'birnenförmig' < pear-shaped> for the Kaiser's brave Adler

Your 'Seadogs' got a kill each - can't go much better than that.

Nice read (well except for the result from my view) Paul.
    Have some more REP

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Well that was 'birnenförmig' < pear-shaped> for the Kaiser's brave Adler

Your 'Seadogs' got a kill each - can't go much better than that.

Nice read (well except for the result from my view) Paul.
    Have some more REP
    Thanks, Pete. I'm glad the kills were evenly apportioned. For awhile I thought Jock would end up with 2 and Flashman none when I had the brain bubble that all aces shot before all non-aces, but I was confusing that with the rookie rule. (If Flashman had fired first it wouldn't have been enough for the kill, which would have gone to Jock. As it was Flashman was closer with the 'more serious damage', so I gave the kill to him.

I'm glad Fritz survived - he's a long running nemesis of the Seadogs from the early missions. He was shot down in the very first mission of the last campaign; and this is now the 3rd time he's been shot down plus two FRTB-E. Only once has he managed to RTB. I guess he's the Wile E. Coyote of the Adlers.

Meep! Meep! Vroooom!

Nicely down. Love the paint job on the Pups!

Great show by the Pup pilots and smooth AAR to tie it all together.

Not great for us Adlers but two out of three live to fight another day, whilst the third can practice their trench art skills in some POW camp.

REP added.

Lovely Pups, and great flying for those Bulldogs! REP

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Meep! Meep! Vroooom!
    Nicely down. Love the paint job on the Pups!
    Thanks, Dan. I'm sure Fritz looked a little like Wile E. when he was pulled from the Halberstadt.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Great show by the Pup pilots and smooth AAR to tie it all together.
    Not great for us Adlers but two out of three live to fight another day, whilst the third can practice their trench art skills in some POW camp.
    REP added.
    It's a darn sight better than is typical for my nefarious C&W dice....my Adler roster bled red in the last campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Lovely Pups, and great flying for those Bulldogs! REP
    Thanks, Chris....although, except for Jock, it was Dave's AI charts that flew the crates on both sides.

Thumbs up

Great AAR Paul & a decisive Victory for your Seadogs!
    Loved the story line especially the Hospital escape with assistance from Nurse Schultz & a certain Irish Major.
    Great visuals as always & lovely aircraft paint schemes.

Rep winging its way!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Great AAR Paul & a decisive Victory for your Seadogs!
    Loved the story line especially the Hospital escape with assistance from Nurse Schultz & a certain Irish Major.
    Great visuals as always & lovely aircraft paint schemes.

Rep winging its way!
    Thanks, Baz. So often it seems that my C&W / E&E rolls dictate my storylines. This one seemed obvious especially when I checked and saw Vagabond was still on the mend.

Bit late to the party - don't quite know how I missed this entry but seems all went very well for the salty dogs. Good to see the Pups getting stuck in with the Eagles, great action and storyline - seems that dodgy major is getting about.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, cleared the sky and drinks all round. Seems like the bombing mission was a bit of a cock up but you didn't waste the day and probably cleared the way for some of the stragglers.
    The army chaps swept up the Hun's downed in NML but somehow the blighters slipped the net at the hospital and only by the good work of one of our chaps down there did they manage to snatch one back.
    Sound like we have a spy in the camp. We'll have to look into this and see if we can smoke the bugger out

To determine kills the closest fires first, then the next closest and so on until the kill is made and credit can be apportioned. In this case Jock should probably have had a brace of kills but we'll let the result stand to the generosity of the pilot.
    Last edited by flash; 07-17-2021 at 02:45.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bit late to the party - don't quite know how I missed this entry but seems all went very well for the salty dogs. Good to see the Pups getting stuck in with the Eagles, great action and storyline - seems that dodgy major is getting about.

Uncle says:

Well done chaps, cleared the sky and drinks all round. Seems like the bombing mission was a bit of a cock up but you didn't waste the day and probably cleared the way for some of the stragglers.
    The army chaps swept up the Hun's downed in NML but somehow the blighters slipped the net at the hospital and only by the good work of one of our chaps down there did they manage to snatch one back.
    Sound like we have a spy in the camp. We'll have to look into this and see if we can smoke the bugger out

To determine kills the closest fires first, then the next closest and so on until the kill is made and credit can be apportioned. In this case Jock should probably have had a brace of kills but we'll let the result stand to the generosity of the pilot.
    Dodgy major indeed - if, in fact, he is a major at all.

It seems I misremembered the rule for closest fires first - got it backwards. Hopefully I'll get it right next time, but, curiously enough, it hasn't happened that often in my games.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Thanks, Baz. So often it seems that my C&W / E&E rolls dictate my storylines. This one seemed obvious especially when I checked and saw Vagabond was still on the mend.
    You can never get a good nights sleep in a hospital ward, there's always something going on, if it's not Nurse Schultz wanting to give me a bed bath, it's a dodgy Major and escaping POW's. I'll be glad when I'm back to aerial combat, life will be much simpler.

Great storyline and I'm envious of the Pup's, I just got round to painting my Nieuport 17's for this game, my Pup's are still just undercoated and have been for months.
    I'm reading this on my tablet so the pictures aren't very clear, are all your Pups Valom or did you get some Shapeway ones as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    You can never get a good nights sleep in a hospital ward, there's always something going on, if it's not Nurse Schultz wanting to give me a bed bath, it's a dodgy Major and escaping POW's. I'll be glad when I'm back to aerial combat, life will be much simpler.

Great storyline and I'm envious of the Pup's, I just got round to painting my Nieuport 17's for this game, my Pup's are still just undercoated and have been for months.
    I'm reading this on my tablet so the pictures aren't very clear, are all your Pups Valom or did you get some Shapeway ones as well?
    Thanks, John. The Pups are all Valoms. You need to get on with your Pups....and your hangars...and, whatever else you need to get on with.

Still loving those photo effects Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

My My. I have to say that Mr Vagabond should get a medal for foiling that dreadful escape attempt despite the distractions Pity one of the so and so's managed to slip the noose, so to speak. As for the dastardly dodgy one and nurse Schulz, well you only have yourself to blame for such lack of vigilance
    An excellent fight, recorded beautifull as always and one kill a piece for those RNAS boys. Yes, it looks as if Pups are going to come in pretty handy when the rest of us can actually lay our hands on them officially

And finally, another fond farewell to our Aussie Bulldog friend, who was able to see the effects of Nurse Schultz's machinations one last time. Tea time I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Still loving those photo effects Paul
    Thanks, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    My My. I have to say that Mr Vagabond should get a medal for foiling that dreadful escape attempt despite the distractions Pity one of the so and so's managed to slip the noose, so to speak. As for the dastardly dodgy one and nurse Schulz, well you only have yourself to blame for such lack of vigilance
    An excellent fight, recorded beautifull as always and one kill a piece for those RNAS boys. Yes, it looks as if Pups are going to come in pretty handy when the rest of us can actually lay our hands on them officially

And finally, another fond farewell to our Aussie Bulldog friend, who was able to see the effects of Nurse Schultz's machinations one last time. Tea time I think.
    Yes, Mr. Vagabond should get a medal and, yes, I do have myself to blame.

Re: our Aussie Bulldog friend. ...and, indeed, tea time. :cuppa:

Well done Seadogs. Sharing out the kills, quite unselfish of your crew. Can't say I've seen so much action packed into such a tight space!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Well done Seadogs. Sharing out the kills, quite unselfish of your crew. Can't say I've seen so much action packed into such a tight space!
    It was a tight scrum alright. Blinkin’ annoying when gaming it though.

Great AAR and some lovely painting on those Valom Pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Great AAR and some lovely painting on those Valom Pups.
    Thanks, Gary.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM-Mission 8 -"Formation Flying!" - 26th August 1916 - teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-30-2021, 16:35
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2021, 13:20
  3. AAR OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 15:26
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 05:28
  5. BRF Mission 6: "Oh Canada"--the Battle of Mount Sorrel - 8th June 1916
    By tusekine in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 15:18