Ares Games

Thread: OTTBYM Mission 1- "Deny The Enemy" - 5th October 1916 by Tikkifriend

Default OTTBYM Mission 1- "Deny The Enemy" - 5th October 1916 by Tikkifriend

RFC*
    Lt Timmy Harper (Balloon Buster): N17 Incend bullets

Lt JP Bedard (Sharp eye): Spad VII

2 Lt Paul Henry: DH2

Eagles*
    Markus Bettmann: Alb II

Ludwig Klein: Alb II

The promised new planes for the Bulldogs had been delayed. Impressed by the Pups performance they had put in a requisition for 6 but told that they would get what were left after the Navy boys had been supplied, so it was back to the Nieuports and DH2s.
    Bedard had a newer Spad VII , a loan from the French Escadrille 30 Km away, and was recovered enough from his recent injury to fly it.

The Eagles however boasted several new Alb II and and had been promised more .

It was late in the afternoon when the 3 scout flight took off toward the German lines and their target, a balloon that had so far evaded the attempts to shoot it down earlier that day; its brown textile skin made an impressive outline against the soon setting sun.

Harper saw the 2 Albs coming in fast from the corners .

He knew he had to make his incendiary bullets count or the RFC scouts would be out matched by the Hun. He cocked his Lewis gun and pressed on.

Klein took a bead on the DH2 but held back on firing ,

Bedard slipped his faster SPAD to the right , hoping to come round behind the Hun scouts.

Harper saw the balloon in his sights and fired. The red hot tracers ripped into the upper section , a faint glow of red appeared and the smell of burning glue and canvas hit the pilots nostrils (1+Fire)

Harper managed another burst before he had to pull sharply away from the gas bag, watching as a new fire started to take on the fabric. (0,2+Smoke)

Henry and Klein traded blows 4 points each .

Bedard turned his Spad parallel to the blimp hoping to catch the Germans on their blind spot.
    Klein saw the muzzle flash and felt his rudder go sloppy. The expected second salvo never came (0+GJ, 1+LRD)

Klein turned his attention towards Harpers Nieuport hampered by a jammed rudder. Bettmann went after the gun jammed SPAD, (1 +RRJ)

Harper kept pouring hot lead into his target (4). The balloon slowly began to descend

the observer not waiting, jumped and floated to the ground. Harper dived to keep on the same level as his target

Another fire broke out around the wicker basket (3+eng 2+GJ) but a bent bullet put the end to any further damage.

Bedard blissfully unaware of the Hun on his tail was slowly gaining on the purple Albatros which had swung parallel to the burning Drachen

Harper happy to see the fire rolling through the balloon *began switching drums to regular ammo.
    The remaining planes jockeyed for better positions on their targets,

Harper missing a perfect angled shot on Klein as he passed over the Nieuport being only seconds from reloading his ammo drum. Suddenly there was a burst of orange flame and a tremendous roar as the Drachen exploded. The shock wave rocked Harper and Klein's planes. Klein's Albatros took the full brunt of the explosion the wings folding under the pressure blast (XP). Harper, who was lower felt the heat sear his face and watched as the fabric on his wings begin to shrink away (2).

The RFC flight assumed that the lone Albatros, powerful as it was against a scout, would turn for home faced with 3 opponents. Henry watched as Bettmann turned in pursuit of Bedard's SPAD.

Harper climbed to meet the oncoming Albatros. A mistake as German rounds hit the fuselage (1). The RFC flight fell into a confused tangle of aircraft, Bedard almost colliding with Henry as Harper tried to Immel followed by a split S. The result was to Bettmann's advantage as he found himself looking at the tails of 2 scouts. Harper dropped on the Albatros peppering its upper wing (3)

Fuel was getting low for the Allied scouts but not before Harper got another shot in (2)

Bedard and Henry turned for home and with the Albatros diving for ground cover Harper decided to call it a day.

Result

RFC
    Lt Timmy Harper: (Balloon Buster) (N.17 Incend bullets) RTB 1 Kill (balloon)

Lt JP Bedard: (Sharp eye) (SPAD VII) RTB 0 Kills

2Lt Paul Henry: (DH.2) RTB 0Kills

Eagles*

Ltn Markus Bettmann: (Alb II) RTB 0 Kills

Ltn Ludwig Klein: (Alb II) SD-EXP-FT 0 Kills
    Rolled 12 -3EXP = 9 - All's well when you land well !

Balloon: EXP - destroyed

Thus the scores on the doors are Bulldogs 30 Eagles 0
    A bit more high scoring than the Euro football match but a win never the less .
    Last edited by flash; 07-07-2021 at 08:42. Reason: Crew, spelling. tally adjust

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That was entertaining! What is it with this mission and the explosions?!

How did Kliener fare from the crash?

Edward

Good job and a similar result to other ‘Englander’ colleagues. Well done for getting mission done and nice paint jobs on the planes, the Spad particularly stands out.

REP sent

Well that took Uncle 30 mins to tidy up - good game, looks like it went fairly well for the Bulldogs and quite similar results to the other AAR's.

Uncle says:

Your paperwork was a complete cluster as usual Paul ! You have no pilot called Kliener but you do have a Ludwig Klein. For some reason Parrot cropped up toward the end of the report when you were flying Henry, and Herr Bettmann's name changed to Baettemann half way through. Were you at the Calvados again ?
    Still, a good result for the Bulldogs - balloon gone, which will please the mud dwellers and an Albatros knocked down for good measure. Considered giving Harper credit for that but thought it a bit much ! Still a victory to celebrate and everyone made it back in one piece so what's not to like
    Last edited by flash; 07-07-2021 at 08:40.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Congrats to your Bulldogs, Paul! Sharp-looking planes, and that balloon never had a chance

Nice planes! Really great job on them! Bulldogs pull a victory! Nice AAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    That was entertaining! What is it with this mission and the explosions?!

How did Kliener fare from the crash?

Edward
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X70VMrH3yBg

Should he ever make ace he'll be a lucky pilot !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Your paperwork was a complete cluster as usual Paul !
    and I love John Lee Hooker - Boom boom boom boom. Great result and unlucky not to be credited with Ltn Ludwig Klein (might have been had the paper work been in order )
    Glad you got this one completed Paul - that's a full house for Baz and Mission 1 I believe.
    REP especially for the entertainment

Bratwurst on the first shot!

Those incendiaries make this mission a piece of cake (or should that be a slice of sausage?) for the Hot Dogs ..... er Bulldogs.

We Adler need spies to steal some for us, since our weapons development teams seem to be far behind.

Good to see Klein survive the Boom card.

Well, that was a study on how to use incendiaries, well done! I think the French won't be too happy to get back that loner SPAD with British roundels now on it. I'd just keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    and I love John Lee Hooker - Boom boom boom boom. Great result and unlucky not to be credited with Ltn Ludwig Klein (might have been had the paper work been in order )
    Glad you got this one completed Paul - that's a full house for Baz and Mission 1 I believe.
    REP especially for the entertainment
    Looked to me like a great AAR....but I came late to the party. So I’ll have to imagine the original AAR. Lovely SPAD though.

Thumbs up

Short, sweet & quite dramatic Paul!
    Glad you got to complete this one before too long after the end of June.
    Very nice paint jobs as well.
    Do try to keep Uncle happy though!
    Some Rep on the way.

Entertaining as always, and of course a good result.

The Spad looks terrific, did anyone ever use that scheme or is it completely made up? Either way, as has been said, it stands out very nicely on the tabletop.

Just made up by my grandson who is half French 9 y.o and getting into Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Short, sweet & quite dramatic Paul!
    Glad you got to complete this one before too long after the end of June.
    Very nice paint jobs as well.
    Do try to keep Uncle happy though!
    Some Rep on the way.
    My last contact with Baz before he left us. Generous and witty to the end.

My last contact with Baz before he left us. Generous and witty to the end.
    Yep

Nice write up and great pictures.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-05-2021, 14:42
  2. AAR OTT-BYM Mission 1 “Deny the Enemy” 5 October 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 08:20
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 06:46
  4. AAR OTTBYM Mission 1 – Vagabond Denies the Enemy – Oct 5th 1916