Ares Games

Thread: Heatwave

Default Heatwave

Here's hoping that you will all stay safe in the current heatwave.

Yea, especially you guys in British Columbia and other areas on the west coast of North America. I believe temperatures there have been in the mid 40s, although my son tells me that they have dropped again today. Stay safe guys

As I said earlier on the Anchorage, with a Sister- in- Law and her family on Vancouver Island plus our dear friends Old Guy and Donna also there, I also hope that they are all managingto weather the heatwave.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Not much of a heatwave if you're from the AZ! I left Surprise last month and it was 115F this week in Boise Idaho it broke 105F still a bit warm for the locals though. . .

Wrong side of the 49th, but after starting in the 110s this week is settling into a nice easy 60s-70s in the mountain foothills.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

In British Columbia, we set a national hottest temperature ever recorded this week, with a higher temperature than Las Vegas, Nevada, USA! Supposedly, Las Vegas has an all-time high record of 117 degrees F. Lytton hit 118 degrees F/46.1 degrees C on Monday.

Oh! And Lytton busted that again, on Tuesday, with a new high of 46.6 degrees C.

Today, things have started to cool, a bit. Donna and I have been OK, as we have a heat pump, and it helped a lot. On Monday, our back patio weather station recorded a peak max temperature of 39.3 degrees C, more than ten degrees above our previous max. FYI: Our aveage temperature in the normally hottest month of August, is 18.1 degrees C.

Unfortunately, the heat did affect lots of others:

A staggering 486 sudden and unexpected deaths were reported across British Columbia over the past five days as the province suffered under a blistering heat wave, coroners said Wednesday.
    Tough things happening around the world, and it appears that global warming thing might be affecting us all.

PS: just found this:

Average Weather at Comox Valley Airport Canada

At Comox Valley Airport, the summers are short, comfortable, and partly cloudy and the winters are long, very cold, wet, and mostly cloudy. Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 2 °C to 24 °C and is rarely below -3 °C or above 29 °C.
    Source: Weatherspark.com
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-30-2021 at 18:48.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Just glad to hear you and Donna weathered it OK.
    Over here the weather is abysmal. Dull and cloudy for the last two weeks.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yep. Good to hear you and Donna are OK Mike There's a rumour that the unusual weather was caused by some kind of weather bubble that prevented the winds from the west cooling the land. Don't know if that's so. If it is,lets hope it doesn't happen again!

Holy crap, that’s HOT !!! Glad you guys are ok.
    Not seen temperatures like that since I was a little kid living in Libya (Tripoli)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Holy crap, that’s HOT !!! Glad you guys are ok.
    Not seen temperatures like that since I was a little kid living in Libya (Tripoli)
    Agreed. Those temps are dangerous.

I was once in Oman and the Gov't there is very generous. If the temp ever hit 50C everyone could go home and the Gov't would pay you for the day. Then again... the official Gov't temp never went over 49C, go figure.
    It was 50+ when I was there setting up to head out on a research cruise. You couldn't touch the ship in the sun or you would get burned. I put a thermometer an inch off the deck, 60C!

We have had to deal with that, but anything over 40"C used to be unusual, and definitely requires AC.
    What we haven't had to deal with is metres of snow in winter too.

Without wishing to get political, it's gonna get even hotter in summer over coming decades. Please take appropriate measures.

Here in England we would love to take 10 degrees off you... pity you can’t share it out

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    In British Columbia, we set a national hottest temperature ever recorded this week, with a higher temperature than Las Vegas, Nevada, USA! Supposedly, Las Vegas has an all-time high record of 117 degrees F. Lytton hit 118 degrees F/46.1 degrees C on Monday.

Oh! And Lytton busted that again, on Tuesday, with a new high of 46.6 degrees C.

Today, things have started to cool, a bit. Donna and I have been OK, as we have a heat pump, and it helped a lot. On Monday, our back patio weather station recorded a peak max temperature of 39.3 degrees C, more than ten degrees above our previous max. FYI: Our aveage temperature in the normally hottest month of August, is 18.1 degrees C.

Unfortunately, the heat did affect lots of others:

Tough things happening around the world, and it appears that global warming thing might be affecting us all.
    I just saw on the news that after three days of the record heat, the town of Lytton suffered a major fire, and an emergency evacuation was called. I hope everyone was able to evacuate in time. I had to doublecheck to see how close Comox is to Lytton. Stay safe, Mike.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-02-2021 at 22:57.

Adding my hope that everyone is safe.

I've just seen footage of Lytton on fire - scary!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

It was hot in Portland over the weekend - 108F (42C) and 112F (44C).

When I left for New Jersey at 3:30am on Monday it was already 84F (29C)

I managed to miss the highest temp:

Portland hit 116 degrees Monday afternoon, setting a new record high temperature for the third day in a row, according to the National Weather Service.
    (46.67C)

Usually NJ is hotter than what we get - it was a balmy 97F (36C) there ..

And this is still June!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post

I've been in Vegas all my life, so these temp ranges are something we're accustomed to, but pretty much every structure in the city is air conditioned, so it doesn't take a lot of work to find somewhere to cool off.

What I can't imagine is dealing with 110+ weather without any sort of AC!