Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 (camelbeagle)

Default OTT-BYM Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 (camelbeagle)

German Aerodrome
    Attention! The British observation balloons are really causing us some grief. They have a good eye on our movements and have been using them to home in their artillery strikes. We need to take away this asset from their front. Ltn Lukas Myers, welcome back. Hope you have healed well. ObLtn Knacke, Ltn Hasselhoff, and Ltn Myers. Your assignment today is to attack one of these balloons and destroy it before it gets to the ground. Be cautious of the ground fire when it gets low. Watch for any British scouts in the area. Take those wonderful Albatros D.II up and make the Kaiser proud! Dismissed!

British Aerodrome
    Good Morning Chaps! Our observation balloons have been giving us some good intelligence on the German Movements. The ones in our sector have been crucial to the accuracy of are artillery. We need to defend these from any German attacks. They are certain to happen, it is just a matter of time. 2Lt Ian Aldridge and 2 Lt Arthur Burger, you are assigned to defend the one east of here. Please review the map that we have supplied. Some of those new SPAD VII arrived. Take those up and good hunting!

Few things to note:
    Somehow, one of the props broke off of my Szepessy-Sokoll Albatros D.II. I found it after I did the mission. So, forgive the plane with a broken prop.

Plane assignments:
    Klause Knacke – Boelcke Albatros D.II
    Isaac Hasselhoff – Richtofen Albatros D.II
    Lukas Myers – Szepessy-Sokoll Abatros D.II
    Ian Aldridge – Star Token Spad VII
    Arthur Burger – Cross Token Spad VII
    AIM Drachen Balloon – British Balloon

Thanks to Malachi for the AIM Drachen Balloon. He did a nice job on it.

Mission Begins

The morning has started very quiet on the front. The British have been observing the German movements through the morning from their Observation Balloon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00210.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	303490

2Lt Arthur Burger is on patrol around the balloon to protect it from German attacks.

Name:	DSC00211.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	303491

2Lt Ian Aldridge is his wing man. He has also been assigned patrol duty around the balloon.

Name:	DSC00212.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	303492

German ObLt Klaus Knacke and his fellow pilots Isaac Hasselhoff and Lukas Myers. They are on the hunt to destroy the Observation Balloon.

Name:	DSC00213.jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	303493

The Germans close in and attack. Knacke and Myers attack the balloon making the first noises of the morning. Hasselhoff and Aldridge trade gunfire. Burger must close in a bit more.

Name:	DSC00214.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	303494

Myers keeps on firing at the Observation Balloon. Knacke and Burger trade fire. Burger jams his guns. He is most unhappy about this. Hasselhoff and Aldridge fly right by each other giving their best obscene gesture.

Name:	DSC00216.jpg 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	303495

Burger and Aldridge zoom around the other side of the Observation Balloon hoping to cut the Germans off on their second approach. Burger has his mallet out pounding on his gun. Knacke is able to get the Balloon in his firing arc. His gunfire causes a fire to break out! Hasselhoff hits the Balloon with a nasty attack of gunfire as well. Note: Ignore the 1 Rudder Damage in the background. Mistake that I corrected but forget to take another picture. Burger’s guns are jammed so he couldn’t fire.

Name:	DSC00219.jpg 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	303496

Name:	DSC00218.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	303497

Knacke keeps the Balloon in his sights and shoots at it some more. The British are finishing their turn around.

Name:	DSC00221.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	303498

Name:	DSC00222.jpg 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	303499

Everyone is trying to evaluate the situation.

Name:	DSC00223.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	303500

Knacke and Burger trade some vicious gunfire. Burger starts to bellow black smoke. Myers does a Split-S to get turned around quickly. Hasselhoff and Aldridge trade gunfire.

Name:	DSC00224.jpg 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	303501

Hasselhoff dives down to match the Balloon’s Altitude. Aldridge flies over him. Myers closes and gives the Observation Balloon a lethal attack of gunfire which causes the Balloon to EXPLODE! Too bad for Hasselhoff and Myers. Too close and at the same altitude so they took damage from the Explosion. Hasselhoff catches fire! NOT Good!!!!! Burger flies over Myers.

Name:	DSC00225.jpg 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	303502

Name:	DSC00226.jpg 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	303503

Name:	DSC00227.jpg 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	303504

Knacke does a Split-S then uses his Acrobatic Pilot Skill to turn afterwards and gets Aldrige in his sights. Aldridge dives down and comes face to face with the German Ace. Both send bullets of love. Knacke’s Albatros D.II starts to cough black smoke. Aldridge’s SPAD VII starts to sputter and spit in a violent manner. Aldridge’s gun jams and he is not very happy. Burger who has dived down to Hasselhoff’s altitude sends a long-range shot which causes the Albatros D.II to sputter and stall.

Name:	DSC00228.jpg 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	303505

Hasselhoff’s Albatros D.II starts to burn and get hot. He has decided to turn home. Myers does a Split-S so he can face the British planes. Knacke shoot his guns at Burger. The Brave Burger thinks he can take an advantage of this situation and pursues. His shots do more damage to the German Plane. Aldridge has decided to flee. He knows he cannot take on these German scouts with engine damage.

Name:	DSC00229.jpg 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	303506

Cheers and Groans from the British Infantry. Burger gives Hasselhoff another burst of gunfire. He shoots the German Pilot down, but his machine gun jams in a most horrible way. Burger is unaware that the German Ace Knacke has him in his sights. Knacke lines up and gives the British Pilot a burst of damaging gun fire that sends the British Plane down! Knacke jams his guns as well. He is most unhappy about this.

Name:	DSC00230.jpg 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	303507

Myers is giving Aldridge chase. Can he catch the fast SPAD VII???

Name:	DSC00231.jpg 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	303508

No, he cannot. The British Pilot manages to get away!

Name:	DSC00233.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	303509

Final Points Total
    Germans
    Balloon Destroyed 20
    Plane Shot Down 10
    Plane Forced off of board 5

Total: 35 Points

British

Plane Shot Down 10

Total: 10 Points

German Victory!

Butcher’s Tally

British Balloon
    Destroyed!!!!

Name:	DSC00237.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	303510

2Lt Ian Aldridge: SPAD VII/FRTB -E/0 Kills
    Rolled 1 and 5. Lands Safely.

Name:	DSC00239.jpg 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	303511

2Lt Arthur Burger: SPAD VII - SD FT/1 Kill (Lt Hasselhoff)
    C&W: 7 -1 SD = 6 -> Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Roll of 5 on d6. Miss 3.
    Final Result: Miss 3 missions.

Name:	DSC00240.jpg 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	303512

Ltn Lukas Myers: Albatros D.II/RTB/1 Kill (Balloon)

Name:	DSC00242.jpg 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	303513

Ltn Isaac Hasselhoff: Albatros D.II/SD-FLM NML/0 Kills
    C&W: 8 -2FLM -1NML = 5 -> Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Roll of 4 on d6. Miss 2.
    E&E: 10 -1FLM +1NML -1WIC = 8 Landed almost home! Skip 1
    Final result: Miss 2 missions.

Name:	DSC00243.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	303514

ObLtn Klaus Knacke: Albatros D.II/RTB/1 Kill (2Lt Burger)

Name:	DSC00244.jpg 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	303515
    Last edited by flash; 06-28-2021 at 00:29. Reason: tidy tally

Sausage well done! Jolly good fight and a successful mission.

But I see no good has come from Vagabond cavorting with Nurse Schultz. Now the Hun has the mallet secret. Oh dear.

Oh well, mess time.

Great fight, Dan! Well done.

Smile

Good dust up there Dan!
    Congrats on "cooking" the Sausage.
    Lots of Gun Jambs made things difficult.
    Have some Rep for a job well done.

Very nicely done Dan, a fiery introduction to BYM by your boys !

Onkel says:

Well done my young Eagles, the Englander artillery has been blinded for which our ground dwelling colleagues will be very grateful.
    Good Tally, you just need the nomenclature rather than descriptors of crash or flamer added.

Ltn Lukas Myers picks up his pilots badge for his first victory; ObLtn Klaus Knacke makes another inexorable step toward double ace so much to celebrate in the Mess tonight
    Last edited by flash; 06-28-2021 at 00:42.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hi Dan

Great fight and AAR and the Eagles are fighting back. Shame about the frazzled new D.II, Onkel may not be too happy about losing a new plane, but time to have a schnapps in the mess, congrats to the pilots, who came out relatively unscathed.

REP sent.

Baz

Fun AAR - hopefully the prop is now repaired?

Edward

Nice one Dan. Excellent result for those Eagles of yours. Grrrrrr That's a very nice Draaken balloon you have there. Please treat it with more respect next time Unless it becomes German, of course

I have to admit it was very refreshing to see that not one boom card came out in the first round of shooting. Seems to have been a relentless feature of most AARs, including my own, this time around.

So welcome to the fray and thanks for a very entertaining AAR. REP inbound

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I have to admit it was very refreshing to see that not one boom card came out in the first round of shooting. Seems to have been a relentless feature of most AARs, including my own, this time around.

So welcome to the fray and thanks for a very entertaining AAR. REP inbound
    I got a real good card shuffler! Makes a difference!

Nicely done Herr Dan. The Kaiser enjoyed reading of your victory over the new SPADs. Have to love the acrobatic pilot skill, that one sure comes in handy.

Another victory for our Adler!
    Well done, Dan. You got the job done with minimal losses.

REP inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I got a real good card shuffler! Makes a difference!
    Do you have a link?
    I remember you mentioning you had a shuffler, but I thought it didn't work for these smaller cards.
    (would it work with sleeved cards?)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Another victory for our Adler!
    Well done, Dan. You got the job done with minimal losses.

REP inbound.

Do you have a link?
    I remember you mentioning you had a shuffler, but I thought it didn't work for these smaller cards.
    (would it work with sleeved cards?)
    I picked up one of the Bicycle Brand Card Shufflers at Walmart. The cards are a bit small for it, but it will shuffle them. Sleeved should be no problem.

Good opening victory for your lads, well done, I'm pretty envious of your sausage, .......hummm, that doesn't sound quite right but you know what I mean.

It sounds as if your card shuffler can shuffle boom cards to the bottom of the deck, I can see why Pete is interested in buying one. Maybe we all should.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Sausage well done! Jolly good fight and a successful mission.

But I see no good has come from Vagabond cavorting with Nurse Schultz. Now the Hun has the mallet secret. Oh dear.

Oh well, mess time.
    I'm not sure what you're implying about my friend Nurse Schultz. It's more likely to be your renegade Irishman who let the mallet out of the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'm not sure what you're implying about my friend Nurse Schultz. It's more likely to be your renegade Irishman who let the mallet out of the bag.

Have a few beers with him and he lets all of your secrets out!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Have a few beers with him and he lets all of your secrets out!
    Yes...all “your secrets” but not his secrets.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 AAR by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 13:21
  2. AAR OTT-BYM Mission 1 “Deny the Enemy” 5 October 1916 {Stumptonian}
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 08:20
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 06:46
  4. Replies: 48