Ares Games

Thread: A Target Rich Environment !

Default A Target Rich Environment !

Thought I'd chuck some different planes around the table just for something to do and to get a feel for how some of the lesser used types, with dodgy decks handle. Explosions count as half start damage, rounded up. I use my own Alt and solo charts. So here it is:

June 1916 somewhere near the Somme... Three German pilots come across what can best be described as a target rich environment. Dieter, in the centre flies a Fokker D.III; Erich to his right pilots a Fokker E.IV, both machines sport twin Spandau's. To the left is Nico in a captured Nieuport 11 fitted with a single Spandau (flown by me..)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2841.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	303106

Working the area are a number of recon machines of various manufacture are the British. nearest are Tommy & Timmy in the Morane Saulnier P tandem; behind them is Tarquin in the Morane Saulnier P solo. Next along in the Morane Saulnier BB are Toby & Tristan and in the distance are Terry & Travis in a BE2c.

Name:	SAM_2843.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	303107

The Germans thrust into the middle of the enemy aircraft as they make towards them - Nico spots Tommy heading down the flank and breaks off to intercept. Dieter zeroes in on Toby's BB, shadowed by Erich.

Name:	SAM_2851.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	303108

Both pilots press down on their triggers and the bullets fly.. Dieter seems to have no effect but is alarmed by a small fire blowing from his engine, though it seems to function normally.

Name:	SAM_2853.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	216.4 KB 
ID:	303109

Both machines manage to avoid a collision & pass behind each other

Name:	SAM_2854.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	303110

Tristan takes a pot shot at Dieter's flaming Fokker as the gap opens but cannot add to his problems

Name:	SAM_2857.JPG 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	303111

Nico opens up on Tommy's machine - he does no obvious damage - maybe he was put off with Tarquin coming in from his right ? I have marked the target area for Tommy's photo run.

Name:	SAM_2860.JPG 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	303112

Toby eyes his target area and plans his approach - he'll have to watch out for that flaming Fokker circling back over his right shoulder...

Name:	SAM_2862.JPG 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	303113

Terry has eyes on his target - a road over the rail line - as Travis keeps a wary eye on Fokker monoplane curving in on them at pace.

Name:	SAM_2863.JPG 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	303114

As he moves behind the Morane tandem Nico wanders into it's arc of fire and he takes a burst from Timmy and his lovely Bebe coughs smoke and flame.

Name:	SAM_2864.JPG 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	303115

Furious, Nico hauls the nose of his Bebe round and exchanges a long range burst with Timmy - he comes off decidedly second best as something goes bang up front..

Name:	SAM_2866.JPG 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	303116

Nico wrestles for control as his flaming Nieuport plunges earthward

Name:	SAM_2868.JPG 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	303117

Slowing over the target area Toby exchanges fire with Dieter as Tristan gets the photo's. Bullets rattle through their airframe but they survive the encounter

Name:	SAM_2867.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	303118

Terry triggers his camera over the junction as Travis watches the rapidly closing Hun nervously

Name:	SAM_2869.JPG 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	303119

Timmy does much the same over their target as Tommy cuts the speed. If only he had a gun up front !

Name:	SAM_2870.JPG 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	303120

Tarquin finally gets into the action as the Fokker bi-plane slides past his nose and sticks a long range burst into it.
    (Fokker was actually on the tandems base but wouldn't stay put or Timmy would have joined in trashing him )

Name:	SAM_2872.JPG 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	303121

Erich has caught the BE2 as it turns for home, snaking in with a long range raking shot that sets it smoking

Name:	SAM_2874.JPG 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	303122

Erich's Spandau's continue to chatter at close range as he curves in - something breaks in the BE and it falls away - Erich glances back briefly before he heads after the rest of the retreating enemy

Name:	SAM_2875.JPG 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	303123

Name:	SAM_2876.JPG 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	303124

Dieter has reversed - he has a choice - chase the retreating recon machines or go after the cheeky scout that shot him up

Name:	SAM_2877.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	303125

Dieter breaks left after the recon on recovering from his reversal, with luck he should catch up with the last one

Name:	SAM_2879.JPG 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	303126

Toby & Tristan eventually cross the finishing line and escape with their photo's

Name:	SAM_2881.JPG 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	303127

Tommy & Timmy are not so lucky as Dieter has hunted them down. In the exchange Timmy's Lewis gun jams.

Name:	SAM_2883.JPG 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	303128

Whilst Timmy set to work clearing his gun Dieter closed the gap and his next burst severely damaged the Morane

Name:	SAM_2884.JPG 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	303129

Still straining to escape Tommy pressed on but Dieter chopped them down with his next burst just before they could reach safety

Name:	SAM_2886.JPG 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	303130

Name:	SAM_2888.JPG 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	303131

Dieter didn't get it all his own way as he had strayed into range of Tarquin who promptly caught him a clip round the ear and set smoke blowing from the Fokker.

Name:	SAM_2887.JPG 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	303132

Erich had finally caught up to the fight and tried to swat the Morane from Dieter'e tail, his spandaus chattered again and round crashed through the frail Tommy machine - this might have put Tarquin off as he didn't score any damage on Dieter's Fokker.

Name:	SAM_2891.JPG 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	303133

Whipping his Fokker round Dieter straightened up and caught Tarquin's Morane broadside but by some miracle he somehow managed top miss anything important.

Name:	SAM_2893.JPG 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	303134

Tarquin headed for the barn and despite curving round after him neither Dieter or Erich could get back on target before he slipped away

Name:	SAM_2897.JPG 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	303135

Butcher's Tally

Dieter RTB 1 kill , Erich RTB 1 Kill, Nico EXP-FT 0 kills

Name:	SAM_2899.JPG 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	303136

Tommy & Timmy: Morane Saulnier P tandem EXP-ET 1 Kill, Photo's lost
    Tarquin: Morane Saulnier P solo - RTB 0 kills
    Toby & Tristan: Morane Saulnier BB - RTB 0 kills Photo's obtained
    Terry & Travis: BE2c. EXP-ET 0 kills Photo's lost

Name:	SAM_2900.JPG 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	303137

A fun game, even if I was shot down by my AI again ! I finished it playing from my solo charts.
    I was pleased Tarquin managed to get some shots in as I thought for a while he never would. Dieter did pretty well even if badly knocked about and Erich seemed imperious swooping in and clawing the BE from the sky. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
    I then went on to game all evening at Entoyment !
    Last edited by flash; 06-18-2021 at 07:16. Reason: spelling

"He is wise who watches"

Great report, fun to see those planes on the table!

It’s nice to see different stuff on the (very nice) mat - gives me incentive to paint my Shapeways kit sooner rather than later.

Edward

Nice one, Dave.
    Now I know why you were looking for the BE.2 card.

I like the colour you used for CDL - looks perfect.

Thanks for such an excellent report of an early war encounter. Flying in the fragile early war planes is still my favorite gaming scenario. It's fun to do the best you can with what you've got, no matter how badly you are outgunned, or how poorly your rickety plane flies.

Excellent job on the early war scenario! Rep inbound.

Thumbs up

Great to see so many rare early war birds in the air.
    Nice work on the models Dave & the Allies did pretty well with those outdated planes.
    Have some Rep for an enjoyable read.

Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you enjoyed the show, it's fun to use the early war kit that doesn't get on the table that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ..I like the colour you used for CDL - looks perfect.
    I used to use an old GW acrylic 'Bleached Bone', Pete, when that died I found that GW had updated their range and that colour, or, the one that's nearest it, is now called 'Screaming Skull'. I think most of those in this escapade are the latter. The paints are expensive I find but they do last a long time and give good coverage so worth the investment.

"He is wise who watches"

Great AAR, Dave.

Nice pictures and uncommon plane types.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

As said above, it's great to see the very early kites getting blown about!

Super AAR!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you enjoyed the show, it's fun to use the early war kit that doesn't get on the table that often.

I used to use an old GW acrylic 'Bleached Bone', Pete, when that died I found that GW had updated their range and that colour, or, the one that's nearest it, is now called 'Screaming Skull'. I think most of those in this escapade are the latter. The paints are expensive I find but they do last a long time and give good coverage so worth the investment.
    I agree Dave that's what I have always used for CDL & I found them perfect.

GW's Bleached Bone was great for painting skeltons - during my fantasy model paintng days

Well done Dave - lovely AAR and I agree, its good to see the BE2c and the Moranes up there again, with the other early birds. Good fight

Thanks for the enjoyable AAR.
    I'm glad you enjoyed playing the game that produced it!

Similar Missions

1. Wanted: Rich or Dead
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2017, 14:10
  2. Better to be born lucky than rich Dept.
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-20-2017, 14:35
  3. Target Rich Environment
    By Ringbolt in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-22-2014, 02:05
  4. Visual on target ??
    By Redwolf in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 07:15
  5. !,000 Up.Rich.