Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 AAR by Mike

Default OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 AAR by Mike

OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 by gully_raker . Mike’s AAR.

They were at it again. Captain Sidney Williams stared through the lenses of his army issue binoculars and muttered something that his mother would have clipped him around the ear for and demanded he wash his mouth out with soap. But Williams knew what the distant balloon meant, his mother did not.
    And in the grounds of the remains of the village of Authuille, not far from Captain William’s position, a few of his company stared balefully up at the German observation balloon, that had just ascended into the morning mists and they too knew what was coming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ba.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	303024 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balloons 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	303025

For a few minutes, the observers in that balloon gazed through their own binoculars, before reporting what they could see, to the waiting artillery crews below. Then there was a loud thundering report as a 150mm Heavy Field Gun sent the first of the days shells screaming towards the village of Authuille. Just another day in the life of the PBI.

Name:	Balloon 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	303026 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balloons 2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	303027

“Good morning, Bo” announced Uncle, rather incoherently, due to the presence of his favourite briar, wedged firmly between his teeth.
    “Morning Uncle, what you got for us today?” Bo replied. He was generally a cheerful chappie and well liked by the rest of the Bulldogs. Oh yes, “the Bulldogs”. 'The British Bulldogs', were more correctly known as 52 Sqn RFC, but life for the men of this squadron was rather less formal than their army commanders liked and nobody here used that official title very often. So “Bulldogs” they all were.
    Not that Bo regarded himself as British, as such, since although both his parents were former Londoners, he was born and bred by the sunny shores of the east coast of Australia.

Name:	Bo Fletcher.jpg 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	303028 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uncle.jpg 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	303029

“I have one of your favourites, Bo” said Uncle, slyly. “A balloon that’s bothering our mud dwelling friends. Its directing some unpleasantness towards them, in the village of Authuille, here” and he placed his forefinger on a map that lay on what amounted to his desk. The crates beneath the map creaked alarmingly, but held firm. “Take Simon and Charles with you. No solo’s today Bo. A couple of those new Albatros kites have been spotted in the area, but the infantry have reported no sightings of any ground support for the balloon yet, so if you’re quick about it you may be lucky on that score”.
    “Right! On my way” said Bo.

Name:	Phil Boots.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	303030 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simon Hawker.jpg 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	303031

And shortly after the end of that exchange, three RFC aircraft – RAF FE8s to be pricise, were seen, from the ground, to be heading straight towards that enormous brown coloured lump, currently swinging lazily in the morning breeze, above the green fields of enemy held France.

Name:	BYM1 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	303032 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 2.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	303033

What happened next was all over in less time than it would take someone to eat a sandwich.

Name:	BYM1 3.jpg 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	303034 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 4.jpg 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	303035

Two enemy aircraft, both of them the new type, Albatros DIs, appeared from behind the balloon and headed straight for our Bulldogs. At the same time, two off white shapes bloomed beneath the balloon as the observers, deciding that caution was the better part of valour, parachuted to the relative safety of the fields below.

Name:	BYM1 5.jpg 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	303036 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 6.jpg 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	303037

With a cacophony of rattling machine gun fire, that could be heard by the men holding their breath in the Village of Authuille, echoing along the gentle breeze, every pilot marksman involved scored devastating hits.

Name:	BYM1 7.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	303038

Vzfwbl Georg Wenelmuth opened fire on Simon Hawker’s bus. But the satisfaction he felt, knowing he had damaged his opponents engine, was rather spoiled when his own aircraft lurched to a halt, accompanied by a small explosion, and tipped nose down into a dive that took him in an artistic spiral in the same direction as the parachuters.

Name:	BYM1 8.jpg 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	303039 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 9.jpg 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	303040

Simon Hawker had nothing to be particularly happy about though, as he wouldn’t know about Wenelmuth’s fate until and if he succeeded in hobbling back to the barn. A journey which had to start there and then. He was also out of this fight with a damaged engine.

Over on Bo Fletcher’s other flank, his other wingman was also in trouble. The opening salvo from Ltn Oskar von Freden had wounded Charlie Drake quite badly enough to send this Bulldog packing too. F/Sgt Charles Drake was not amused and as far as he was concerned he would be quite happy if Ltn bloody Oskar naffed off back to Freden. But despite his pain, he did notice a small fire and a stream of smoke passing him.

Name:	BYM1 10.jpg 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	303041

Of course, he realized, he had hit the pesky hun and set him on fire. That did a little to ease his distress. So with one last attempt to fire his machine gun at the balloon, which only resulted in the said mg jamming, he about turned and painfully, he too went about the business of trying to get home again.

Which, in effect, left Ltn Oskar von Freden, desperately trying to extinguish the fire on his brand new Albatros but determined also to chase either 2nd Lt Simon Hawker, who was now limping westwards from whence he had arrived, or the wounded F/Sgt Charles Drake, also travelling in the same direction. If only he could get the fire to go out, he would have the chance to bring one of those two bad guys down. Possibly both of them. What he didn’t seem to be aware of was the continued presence of A/Lt Bo Fletcher, the flaming Aussie, who had just started a small fire on the balloon before disappearing from sight behind that big sausage.

Name:	BYM1 11.png 
Size:	669.2 KB 
ID:	303042 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 12.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	303043

From there on it was pretty much all over for the balloon. Bo Fletcher was left in peace to fly about, unmolested, largely doing little further damage but never-the-less able to watch, with some satisfaction, as the fire on the balloon slowly took hold.

Name:	BYM1 13.jpg 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	303044 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 14.jpg 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	303045

The crew on the winch for the cable, that attached the balloon to their lorry, did sterling work in trying to bring the balloon down to safety before the thing was totally destroyed. But their efforts were all but in vain.

Whilst the remaining Albatros, that was meant to be protecting them, appeared to swan off after two enemy aircraft that seemed to just want to be left alone and did not appear to be any threat, the winch crew were left sweating buckets, trying to haul down their precious, whilst a nasty little brute armed with a gun firing incendiary bullets, was buzzing about above them and making a right nuisance of himself.

Name:	BYM1 15.jpg 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	303046 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 16.jpg 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	303047

Name:	BYM1 17.jpg 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	303048 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 18.jpg 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	303049

True, the pilot of the surviving Albatros, Ltn von Freden, did manage to inflict some more damage on one of the damned retreating Tommies, who didn’t even have the gumption to fight back (well, ok, the winch crew didn’t know his gun was jammed, nor did they care), but that didn’t help them much, did it?

Name:	BYM1 19.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	303050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 20.jpg 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	303051

Name:	BYM1 21.jpg 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	303052 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 22.jpg 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	303053

The fire on the balloon was now beginning to get out of hand and the crew just couldn’t winch it down quickly enough. It looked very much as if the thing were doomed. But still the crew continued, heroically, to try to save it, one of them muttering all the while “My precious, must save my precious”.

Name:	BYM1 23.jpg 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	303054 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 24.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	303055

Name:	BYM1 25.jpg 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	303056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 26.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	303057

Meanwhile, spare a little sympathy for Oskar von Freden. He might be the enemy but nobody likes to see another pilot’s aircraft on fire. He was doing his best to do his job at the same time as trying to get those aweful flames to go out, and doing it well!

Name:	BYM1 27.jpg 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	303058 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 28.jpg 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	303059

OK that’s enough sympathy. Hell, the fire on his Albatros went out. I must say I personally don’t feel quite as sympathetic now. But at least he’s doing the right thing and chasing the wrong enemy aircraft. Just as long as he leaves Bo alone the Flaming Aussie has a chance to finish the job.

Which at last he does. Bo has been quietly cursing to himself all this while because, despite his best shooting ever (well lets face it, who can miss an object that size, from any range), he hasn’t been doing ver much damage at all. None of the incendiary ammunition appears to be incendiary in the least. He was going to have words with somebody when, hopefully, he got back to the barn.
    Then low and behold. It all suddenly started to work properly again.

Name:	BYM1 29.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	303060 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 30.jpg 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	303061

Name:	BYM1 31.jpg 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	303062

So whilst both Hawker and Drake managed to scramble across the river and their own lines to safety, despite the best efforts of von Freden to stop them,

Name:	BYM1 32.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	204.7 KB 
ID:	303063 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 33.jpg 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	303064

Bo Fletcher finished off the balloon. Uncontrollable flames bloomed from all over the sausage, which then crumpled into an unrecognisable heap and plunged to the earth, sending the winch crew scampering like frightened rabbits to any nearby safe bolt hole.

Name:	BYM1 34.jpg 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	303065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 35.jpg 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	303066

Name:	BYM1 36.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	303067 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 37.jpg 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	303068

This was the moment that von Freden gave up the chase and turned back, only to realize that things hadn’t gone too well for his side. Part of him was, naturally, rather angry towards the lonely RFC pilot whose aircraft now approached from behind a bank of grey smoke. Part of him, however, was secretly glad he had been nowhere near that damned balloon when it went up in flames. He’d had enough of flames already, for one day!

Name:	BYM1 38.jpg 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	303069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 39.jpg 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	303070

So the chicken run began. Bo realized that unless he did something tricky he was on to a hiding to nothing. Having his machine gun loaded with incendiary ammunition, technically he was not permitted to fire at another aircraft with it – The Hague Convention and all that. I guess many pilots, on both sides, were guilty of ignoring that, but Bo was a decent sort. Although, more to the point, he was over enemy territory and knew that if he used it and then got shot down, he would be instantly executed for his crime. Mmmm best not use the incendiary ammo.

Name:	BYM1 40.jpg 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	303071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 41.jpg 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	303072

So instead, he flew directly at his opponent, dived at the last minute then weaved from side to side. All very clever and tricksy. A brilliant plan – except von Freden was better than that and still managed to hit Bo’s FE8 and Bo too into the bargain!

“Ouch, that bloody hurt! Oops, pardon the language”, he said to nobody in particular, since nobody could hear him.

Name:	BYM1 42.jpg 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	303073 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 43.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	303074

After that it was no contest. Von Freden couldn’t turn around quickly enough to catch the cheeky Tommy again, and Bo put his head down and his foot down, and scuttled off just as fast as his little legs could go so to speak.

Name:	BYM1 44.jpg 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	303075 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 45.jpg 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	303076

Bye, bye Mr Freden bye bye. I’m off to the levee, even if it is dry. My good ole boys are drinking whiskey 'n rye, singin' this is not the day that I die.

Name:	BYM1 46.jpg 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	303077 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 47.jpg 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	303078

Name:	BYM1 48.jpg 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	303079

This really ain't the day that I die. I hope!

The End

Butcher’s Bill

Entente

Name:	BYM1 49.jpg 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	303080

A/Lt Bo Fletcher – RAF FE8 “3” - RTB / WIA / 1 kill (Balloon)
    Roll 2D6 = 9 – 1 WIA + 1 RTB + 1 Ace Lucky Git = 10
    Result : All well when you land well

2nd Lt Simon Hawker – RAF FE8 “4” - FRTB-E / 1 kill
    Roll 2D6 = 2 + 1 – Landed safely
    Result : All good

F/Sgt Charles Drake – RAF FE8 “5” - FRTB-W / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 4 + 1 – Landed Safely.
    Roll 2D6 = 7 – 1 WIA + 1 RTB = 7 Injured skip 1D2 = 3 – Skip 1 scenario
    Result: Injured – Skip 1 scenario

Central powers

Name:	BYM1 50.jpg 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	303081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BYM1 51.jpg 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	303082

Ltn Oskar von Freden – Albatros DI “S” yellow dot - RTB / 0 kills
    Result: All Good

Vzfwbl Georg Wenelmuth – Albatros DI “H” orange dot - EXP FT / 0 kills
    Roll 2D6 = 7 – 3 EXP = 4 Injured skip 1D6 = 2 – skip 2 scenarios
    Result: Injured – skip 2 scenarios

Victory points :
    Entente: Balloon destroyed 20 points + Scout SD 10 points. Total 30 points.
    Central powers: Scout FRTB x 2 10 points. Total 10 points.

Thanks Baz – enjoyed the scenario lots. Rather surprising opening salvo from all pilots, but it did ensure a pretty short, sharp, in and get out mission. Liked that for a change.
    Sorry about the over the top graphics. Couldn’t resist having a go at that
    Mike
    Last edited by flash; 06-14-2021 at 11:16. Reason: Tally adjust - pilot name

That was quite a first pass for both sides Mike ! Your lads still got the job done though and at least they all got home.
    Like the graphics for the smoke/fire effects, added a little heat to things !

Uncle says:

I say, well done chaps that was a good opener for our team, the mud dwellers were very pleased to see the sausage go down in such fine style. They confirmed the downed Eagle for Hawker as well as the balloon for Fletcher who seemed to be credited twice ..? Well done the FE8's too !
    Drake will be out for week or so according to the M.O.
    Last edited by flash; 06-14-2021 at 11:19.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Hot work it was Uncle. Very hot work. Glad the boys survived it

Hi Mike

Great story and similar to my result with the boom card coming out early, unfortunately for our team it was the Adlers that were on the receiving side.
    Nice graphics, AAR and mat layout, deserves some rep.

Baz

Spectacular!

You have outdone yourself with those fire effects, Mike.

And the bar is raised, yet again.
    Nice FE.8s as well - haven't seen those being used by anyone before - at least not that I can recall.

A very good start for the Bulldogs.
    Seems to be the standard it seems ...

Hope my Adler can do something to avert that on Friday.
    REP inbound, no incendiaries used in the delivery.

Many thanks all - appreciate the comments.

Wonderful! If I didn't know better I would have thought I was watching a movie! Beautiful setup! Nicely told!

Great job on the fire and smoke, Mike. And great mission results too and that first pass was quite the show. Cheers.

Thumbs up

WOW! what a first exchange that was Mike. Nearly everyone got "roasted" one way or another.
    Great story & amazing photos & special effects. Very visual AAR & deserving of lots of Rep!
    Nice to see some different Allied Aircraft as well mate.
    Great result for the Doggies. I hope to Fly my show on Thursday.

Again, thanks all for the really positive comments - very much appreciated. While I'm about it, I should also thank my wife, Yon, for the first picture. I've used it before and shall use it again I hope - its based on some art work created by Yon with her sewing machine. She does a lot of that and its very inspiring

Excellent as always, pictures and storytelling top notch. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party because I can only reiterate the comments about the burning balloon, it looked spectacular.

That was an interesting first pass, 3 planes out of action in one phase changes the couse of the game somewhat. Well done Bo for the downing of Mr Maclean precious balloon.

The Rep gun appears to be jammed but I can fix that quickly with my wooden mallet.

Aah John, that wooden mallet of yours. Where would you be without it? Thanks for the feedback buddy, and for the rep, received with more thanks - just proof that the mallet really does work

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Aah John, that wooden mallet of yours. Where would you be without it? Thanks for the feedback buddy, and for the rep, received with more thanks - just proof that the mallet really does work
    Of course.

OMG. Mike, not only superb 3d terrain but now amazing photo editing. You raise the bar yet again. This must now be a full time job!

Ouch, what a deadly first pass. The stage was set right there. A good win for your Bulldogs. Tally Ho!

Terrific AAR. Are the buildings from Levin Miniatures? The windmill, which I really like, looks familiar.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Thanks again all. Appreciated

Re the buildings Robert, to be honest I haven't a clue. I have quite a large number of buildings in that scale, some of which I cobbled together myself from an experimental material I was given, that never made the market. Some I was given and many I bought as a job lot from a friend. others have just found their way into the collection. What make etc I have no idea. Originally I wanted them to support 5mm Napoleonic Wargames. Now they mostly find their way into these AARs. Sorry I cannot be any more informative.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 06:46
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-01-2021, 06:31
  3. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-05-2021, 01:31
  4. AAR OTT CYM Mission 8 - "Formation Flying!" - 26th August 1916 - Mike's AAR
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-14-2021, 11:00
  5. AAR OTT Cocky Young Men - Mission 5 "Going Solo" - 5th August 1916 - by Mike
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-05-2021, 15:26