Ares Games

View Poll Results: What got you interested in WWI aerostuff?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Historical Aspect

42 30.66%
  • The Action

11 8.03%
  • I think the planes look cool

50 36.50%
  • The Pilots

12 8.76%
  • Other

22 16.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WWI: What got you interested in WWI?

Heck, most people would not have made it out of childhood. Plus, reenacting doesn't seem quite show the glamor of dying of dysentery, heat stroke, frostbite, etc.

For me its a combination of things.

Computer game on the Amiga, Wings
    Game, Dawn Patrol
    Love planes
    I think the WW1 planes look cool, Germans in particular.

Historical Always fascinated by the period ,very happily played ww1 land and naval games but never found a set of air rules I liked either too complicated or so simple could have been any period then found WOW and was a completely happy Bunny

For me the historical aspect was the most important factor. Second the gaming system as such was another big reason to start playing the game.

In 1950 when I was ten years old, I could buy Comet stick & tissue models for 10 cents.
    I built many of the WW I planes and also read a book in the public library about the war in the air during the Great War.

Ken

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

Back in the 70's I first read Richtofen's diary. That got me interested in the air war. After that it was models and Bachmann miniplanes.
    Became interested in WWI, as my Grandfather was in the Hungarian Riverine forces during the war (Magyar Kiraly Folyami Orseg).
    He would tell me stories of how his service and how he ran away from home, at 16, to join. Still have the original portrait his mother had made of him in his uniform.

It started with Dogfight, then Blue Max....(still play online from time to time).. As far as games go, as a pre-cable kid watching BLUE MAX after school was my visual primer. Enemy Ace comics and my dads worn copy of Fighting the Flying Circus sealed it

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    My interest in military history began with wargames, which I've been playing since the 1960's. One of the first wargames I had was Milton Bradley's Dogfight...

Attachment 8508
    This was a game we wore out .

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Croft View Post
    It started with Dogfight, then Blue Max....(still play online from time to time).. As far as games go, as a pre-cable kid watching BLUE MAX after school was my visual primer. Enemy Ace comics and my dads worn copy of Fighting the Flying Circus sealed it

Very similar for me. Blue Max in the theater when I was 8. Dogfight at 10. AH Richthofen's War as a teen, Red Baron in my 30's. Now WoW and if I get good enough ,RoF.

I still have my dogfight , kinda cool. Bought another for planes and bases though

Yup, all five categories, but mostly how the planes look.

Airfix kits hooked me.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Definitely all of the above, plus the modeling/painting fun with it all.

It all started with the pilots for me, specifically MVR. I was fascinated by him as a youngster and everything developed from there.
    More recent research into my late grandfather’s role in the Royal Navy in both wars has just added to my interest in WW1. What really tipped me over the edge was the 4 and a half years doing the 100 years ago today thread.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I really can't understand why I've only just found this post.
    I'm now at the ripe old age of 79 and can not remember a time when I didn't have an interest in military history. As far as WW1 goes, my friend had a pile of the 'Hammerton' part works which grabbed me when a teenager.
    I now have my own pile of these part works and also the bound 7 volume set. (I think it's 7 volumes but I could be wrong, I will have to check my book shelves and correct this if needed.)

This thread has been going on so long I don't know if I've already commented. Oh well.....

I've always enjoyed war games, moving on to board games later. I even played a few historical WWI war/board games. When I saw the Giants Kickstarter I thought, cool minis, war game, already painted. Let's give it a whirl.

I don't think I' answered the actual question "What got you interested in WWI aerostuff?" But that's how I got into it.

I suppose all 5 choices, or at least several. My youngest brother and I used to play a ton of Red Baron for PC (multiplayer online) for WWI and Air Warrior on Genie (WWII) back in the day. I had always been interested in aviation but that got me interested in reading more histories, aircraft development, and pilot biographies. I briefly spoke to Peter (teaticket) at Origins 2018 when they were about to begin a Wings game as it was so eye-catching on the table, but unfortunately I didn't join in or learn his name. A few months later I did some research and landed here. The plan was to get 8 - 10 WGF planes and move on

I've liked war games, especially tactical simulations, since I was introduced to them as a teenager. I had enjoyed chess as a tactical problem to be solved, in competition with another, before finding Panzer Leader or miniature tabletop rules for WW II ground warfare.

I had encountered a few aerial combat games, but none really clicked.

Fast forward a few decades, and when I was in a job-induced hiatus from any gaming, I was introduced to Wings of War. Boy, did that click! The thing that captured my imagination was the simplistic and fast game play. No game previously played so smoothly, involved so little administration, and felt like being in the moment, spinning and turning in immediate peril of elimination.

I answered the above poll with that first encounter in mind.

Since then, the history, the pilots, and then the miniatures have competed for prominence.

But, first, before anything else, was the feel of the game, how it elegantly emulated my understanding of dogfighting, and how easy it was to learn and play.

Thank you so much, Andrea.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I've liked war games, especially tactical simulations, since I was introduced to them as a teenager. I had enjoyed chess as a tactical problem to be solved, in competition with another, before finding Panzer Leader or miniature tabletop rules for WW II ground warfare.

I had encountered a few aerial combat games, but none really clicked.

Fast forward a few decades, and when I was in a job-induced hiatus from any gaming, I was introduced to Wings of War. Boy, did that click! The thing that captured my imagination was the simplistic and fast game play. No game previously played so smoothly, involved so little administration, and felt like being in the moment, spinning and turning in immediate peril of elimination.

I answered the above poll with that first encounter in mind.

Since then, the history, the pilots, and then the miniatures have competed for prominence.

But, first, before anything else, was the feel of the game, how it elegantly emulated my understanding of dogfighting, and how easy it was to learn and play.

Thank you so much, Andrea.
    Here, here, well said

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

In was thrilled with American Heritage's Dogfight game as a kid. Loved the map, the models, and the ace markers. The random card combat not so much, but I still played it to death. I still have one of the planes.

The web site dogfightgame.com is pretty old, and who knows if it's still active, but they put a lot of effort into preserving the game and gathering components to create playing copies for afficionados.

Maybe there will be somebody doing the same thing with WoG sixty years from now, eh?

dogfight-biplane.jpg
    Last edited by Savoir Faire; 06-07-2022 at 08:27.

My answer is “Other”. As in my life-long war gaming friend “Baltic Bob”. We’ve been playing war games & painting figures since 1975. He introduced me to WOG in 2017 but I resisted. I was losing interest in war gaming & wasn’t ready to dive back into a “new” system. But Baltic persisted, finally getting me a duel pack. I went over to his house to try it out for a few minutes. Now here I am with 30 planes or so, posting AARs and how to’s on making a Snoopy doghouse/plane. Thank you all for your friendships most of all Baltic!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. To All Central Ohio Pilots (and anyone else interested) - February Events
    By The Cowman in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 01:05
  2. Interested in what Skytrex models look like?
    By gregbond77 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 16:12