Ares Games

Thread: Moving is such a pain! - Nice family home? BAH! Where does the gaming table go?!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Default Moving is such a pain! - Nice family home? BAH! Where does the gaming table go?!

Greetings one and all again! Alas I've not been very active these past few days due to the fact our little cadre of camels, our flock of fokkers... Hmmm, perhaps, maybe it's not best to refer to my family as fokkers! - have moved house! As you can imagine it's out right chaos at the moment where my only sanctuary to escape the madness of boxes everywhere is the office!

Thankfully the first thing unpacked was the kettle, teapot, teabags, milk and mugs... So I had plenty of refreshment with the deliciousness of a warm brew to keep me sane. But there's still a mountain of work to do before normality can be restored with a probability factor of 1:1 so for the forseeable future all flights have been grounded and of course I won't be quite as active on here as I have been but I shall endeavour to keep logging in as much as possible - and hopefully we'll have the internet back up and running very soon so I can log on a bit more frequently.

I still have plenty of plans afoot so expect some updates in the (very) near future!

Until then...

Fly safe, stay in formation and keep that cozy on the pot, I'll be back for tea...

Default First contact

I have a friend who moved house three years ago and he is still finding lost items after all that time.
    It's all in the planning, or so they say but you also know that no plan survives first contact.

Good luck with that one Seth. Moving house is obviously so much fun - think I'll stay put for a while

Did that a couple of years ago myself Seth, sanity was helped by being given a free pass to attend a show a couple of days later. No chance of that these days sadly. We're still sorting projects, finding homes for stuff and getting things straight, so good luck with all that !

"He is wise who watches"

Thought hard about moving, then realised that I didn’t need a larger house and didn’t want to downsize, so ploughed moving cash into improving where I was. Very happy to have stayed put. With three kids all buying houses at the moment, moving them will be stress enough, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Moved anywhere interesting Seth?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Recently moved to a smaller aerodrome. Mostly up and running but the Admin wallahs failed to build the runway (shed)Waiting expectantly to start flying again

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Thank you all for your messages! The move is continuing to go well... All being well I should have internet connection tomorrow at the new place!

Still got lots to setup - the usual rooms for the family - bedframes, cupboards, blinds and curtains to put up, etc... But I've now got to rebuild the mancave! It'll all be worth it in the end... Lots more space with plenty of garden for a bigger shed! Hmmm, I wonder what could fit in there?

Fly safe out there... And put that kettle on!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Moved anywhere interesting Seth?

Rob.
    We stayed in the local area of that lovely town called... 'Kidderminster'. If any of you have seen 'Bottom Live' (I think it was the 2nd one) Rick (Gawd bless you, sir) and Ade mentioned it as 'the toilet'. And sure enough they were partly right! - It's an eclectic mix of the sublimly surreal, gorgeous greenery and (forgive me for the swear, I'll edit it out) toxic tw**tery!

I've met Robert Plant more times in a single week than I have any other celeb in an entire year! - At one of the local pubs (Queens Head or Boars Head, I can't remember which) I ended up spilling my pint over him! And of course Kidderminster has it's close ties with all those classic rock tunes you know and love! haha! And yet... The people. Oh my god, the people! - I can say this as I was born and bred here! THE. PEOPLE. ARE. AWFUL! Haha!

I really would recommend people experience Kidderminster and it's 'human wildlife' at least once in their life... Like Royston Vasey it's a place you'll never leave... At least in your mind - It'll forever be etched there, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by SethLewis View Post
    We stayed in the local area of that lovely town called... 'Kidderminster'. If any of you have seen 'Bottom Live' (I think it was the 2nd one) Rick (Gawd bless you, sir) and Ade mentioned it as 'the toilet'. And sure enough they were partly right! - It's an eclectic mix of the sublimly surreal, gorgeous greenery and (forgive me for the swear, I'll edit it out) toxic tw**tery!

I've met Robert Plant more times in a single week than I have any other celeb in an entire year! - At one of the local pubs (Queens Head or Boars Head, I can't remember which) I ended up spilling my pint over him! And of course Kidderminster has it's close ties with all those classic rock tunes you know and love! haha! And yet... The people. Oh my god, the people! - I can say this as I was born and bred here! THE. PEOPLE. ARE. AWFUL! Haha!

I really would recommend people experience Kidderminster and it's 'human wildlife' at least once in their life... Like Royston Vasey it's a place you'll never leave... At least in your mind - It'll forever be etched there, haha!
    Meeting Robert Plant is reason enought to move , just think of the Karioke nights

Carpets are good round there or used to be so they will soak up the beer.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I bet spilling your beer on Robert Plant went down like a lead Balloon Seth!

Rob.

Rob.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nobodys fault but mine eh

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Rob.
    Hahah! For that, have some rep sir!

Next time I see him (whenver the pubs open properly around here) I'll have to say that to him... "Remember when I spilled that pint on you?... I bet that went down like a .... "

To steal the scene from 'Father Ted' when Ted approached Richard Wilson and yelled 'I don't beleive it!' I'm sure it'll go down REALLY well with him!

Thanks for the Rep Seth, but remember it will only encourage me to do more bad jokes and then the Pilots Mess will join in as well.

Rob.

Thanks for the Rep Seth, but remember it will only encourage me to do more bad jokes and then the Pilots Mess will join in as well.

Rob.
    Hold it....wait: anyone here needs to be encouraged to post bad jokes???
    I didn't think that was a requirement.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

So I'm pretty much back up and running now at the new house! Internet is fully armed and operational and my gaming tables are slowly de-cluttering as the boxes are being moved to the new pad!

And now it looks like I'll be able to post my first Wings of Glory AAR sometime next week! (circumstances willing, of course!) I've booked in a session of Tripods & Triplanes on Monday evening so I'll be bringing my camera along and will fill you in with all the highlights of Scenario 1 of my little Story Driven Campaign as posted in the blog! Watch this space!

Looks like I'll be playing the Martians vs a Fokker E.V vs the glorious Sopwith Camel! - It's a 3-way fracas... and who knows if the Entente and the Central Powers will call a temporary cease-fire or choose the path of war!...

Fly safe out there!

I just moved in to a new house 2 days ago...
    All my wargaming boxes, and wings of war are at my mother in laws for safe keeping.
    I couldn't risk anything getting broken!

A reminder to pilots who transfer to new stations. If they are in another county, don't forget to inform the Winco so that his adjutant can bring the records up to date.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    I just moved in to a new house 2 days ago...
    All my wargaming boxes, and wings of war are at my mother in laws for safe keeping.
    I couldn't risk anything getting broken!
    We've all been there! I've often taken those tentative steps, boxes in arms, gingerly creeping down the stairs (despite all the foam and protective wrapping)... My wife bemoaning at me 'They're only made of plastic, what's wrong with you?'...

I have a pile of boxes in the basement from when I moved to Portland from Vancouver 21 years ago.
    Buried in there are wargames, ACW armies, Micro Armour and all kinds of other 'stuff'.
    I hope to tackle it once and for all and get it at least somewhat organized.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I have a pile of boxes in the basement from when I moved to Portland from Vancouver 21 years ago.
    Buried in there are wargames, ACW armies, Micro Armour and all kinds of other 'stuff'.
    I hope to tackle it once and for all and get it at least somewhat organized.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.
    Yep, my main gaming room is still full of boxes from the move and I really should get motivated to move it all... That's my plan at least! Haha! - I wonder if I'll be saying the same thing in 21 years time too? Haha!

"Where does the gaming table go?"

Under a mound of boxes of gaming stuff, while I struggle to reorganise my "Wings" and "BSG" gear into manageable stockpiles!

I too have unopened boxes from my last move - 21 years ago next week.
    I'm pretty sure there's no wargaming stuff in them...
    Pretty sure...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I got rid of most of the plastic kits I had made when I was young a few years ago (as well as school/university essays etc.). When we move in 5-8 years time there will be a load to shift/downsize (we’ve been here 31 years). Luckily the WoG stuff is easyish to store and relatively compact.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by SethLewis View Post
    Yep, my main gaming room is still full of boxes from the move and I really should get motivated to move it all... That's my plan at least! Haha! - I wonder if I'll be saying the same thing in 21 years time too? Haha!

i move in here a bit over 5 years ago and still have stuff in boxes. and theyre not likely to go anywhere anytime soon. as i describe it, ive got size 15 possessions in a size 10 house lol.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    "Where does the gaming table go?"

Under a mound of boxes of gaming stuff, while I struggle to reorganise my "Wings" and "BSG" gear into manageable stockpiles!

I too have unopened boxes from my last move - 21 years ago next week.
    I'm pretty sure there's no wargaming stuff in them...
    Pretty sure...
    Haha! Yep, when we were moving our boxes into storage earlier in the year I uncovered a load of original 'Space Hulk' stuff... Old style Genestealers, a few tiles and doors, no plastic terminators though ... Who knows how lond they had been lying there!
    ... And for the life of me I can't find where I put that ruddy box now! Haha!

Similar Missions

1. Gaming Table anyone?
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2019, 09:35
  2. Flat mats or 3D gaming table?
    By Greywolf in forum Polls
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-16-2018, 14:34
  3. Celebrating the new gaming table!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20