Ares Games

Thread: Story Driven Campaign: Tripods, Triplanes and The War of the Worlds - Results Thread

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Default Story Driven Campaign: Tripods, Triplanes and The War of the Worlds - Results Thread

Greetings one and all! And welcome to the 'Results' Thread, eagerly awaiting your results (as soon as the Campaign launches)! Please post any results and/or AAR's (you are most welcome to post any photo's too) here and I'll collate the details over the coming weeks as the Campaign develops - which will have an impact on the next chapter of the Campaign! Have fun!

Fly safe out there and try to avoid that Heat-Ray! - Though I hear it's a cracking way to make a proper brew!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Hello again, one and all! After a brief delay due to the house move, the first AAR of the Story Driven Campaign: Scenario 1 will be published VERY soon! I'm due for a game on the 21st of June so keep your eyes open! I'm playing the Martians so we'll see how the events unfold!

Fly safe out there! And what's this mysterious red growth appearing across the land?

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Default AAR - Scenario 1: Avalanches above.... Business continues below.

Greetings folks! The result of the first AAR of Scenario 1 of the Campaign is in! Here are the highlights! (results at the end):

After a heavy battle in the sky, the first of the Martian Cylinders crashlands... And the countdown has begun! Stopping their conflict for a brief moment, a Sopwith Camel and a Fokker E.V. both suffering with smoke damage, investigate the crater...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0407.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	303463

The Fokker E.V. manages to take the first photograph but is struck by the Cylinder's defensive heat-ray, protecting it's calamitous cargo as it prepares to emerge! Thankfully the E.V. suffers minor damage...

Name:	DSC_0408.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	303464 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0409.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	303465

Thinking the Central Powers might get the upper-hand in this war, the Camel races forward to capture it's own intel. It too is struck by the cylider's heat-ray... Just as the terrifying tripod emerges!

Name:	DSC_0411.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	303466

Both pilots decide to retreat to HQ as swiftly as the can! This time the Tripod is primed to fire, both cylinder and tripod unleash their devastating heat-rays upon the valiant aircraft... Causing serious damage to both pilots!

Name:	DSC_0413.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	303467 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0414.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	303468

Seeing an opportune moment to strike as he passes, the Camel fires at the Tripod in a vain attempt to bring down the Martian menace!... What a shot! The Martian pilot is wounded!

Name:	DSC_0415.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	303469 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0416.jpg 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	303470

Reacting quickly, the Tripod takes aim at the Camel, bringing it down in one swift stroke! 'Farewell, dear Sopwith Camel!'... The remaning brave Fokker E.V. pilot decides to enact vengeance and turns to face the alien force head-on!

Name:	DSC_0418.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	303471 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0417.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	303472

... But it's all for nought! In one devastating salvo the Tripod unleashes it's heat-ray once more and brings down the E.V. as it passes over in one swift stroke!

Name:	DSC_0421.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	303473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0422.jpg 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	303474

Victory to the Martians!...

Name:	DSC_0423.jpg 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	303475

...Ulla!

Nice one Seth. The rof of the heat-rays & the over head trick shot look disconcerting ...

"He is wise who watches"

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice one Seth. The rof of the heat-rays & the over head trick shot look disconcerting ...
    Yeah, I think in the excitement of battle we probably (definitely) made a few errors! And piecing together the photos of the damage after the game to align with the photo's of the actual game may have produced a few 'janky results' to any veteren of the game looking at the AAR - but it was our first proper game of T&T so we'll keep moving forward and get more settled into the rules.

Easily done in the heat(-ray) of battle Seth ! Been reminding myself of the rules before we're back in the room Weds night, energy cubes & recovery tokens are the important bits but sometimes the hardest to keep on track.

"He is wise who watches"

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Easily done in the heat(-ray) of battle Seth ! Been reminding myself of the rules before we're back in the room Weds night, energy cubes & recovery tokens are the important bits but sometimes the hardest to keep on track.
    Agreed! It was an absolute blast so we'll be back with Scenario 2 shortly! So watch this space... In the meantime, why not give this little scenario a go? You can record your results here and I'll tally them up in a couple of weeks time! And it may very well have an impact as to what happens next. We all know how the H.G. Well's story ends but to paraphrase Jeremy Irons in the film based on another of Wells' books... 'What if...?'

Not sure the chaps will engage enough for a campaign but I might have a solo stab at it if I find time - experiment with my Austin Ball AFB-1's fitted with cannon using an adjusted C deck (just 4 x 0's) worked out nicely for the Tommy.

"He is wise who watches"

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Not sure the chaps will engage enough for a campaign but I might have a solo stab at it if I find time - experiment with my Austin Ball AFB-1's fitted with cannon using an adjusted C deck (just 4 x 0's) worked out nicely for the Tommy.
    I hear where you're coming from! It took me a good few weeks just to convince one member of my gaming group to give this game a go... I'm hoping more will follow in due course! Absolutely give it a go solo! You don't have to, but you are very welcome to post the results here... I'll be running the scenario again (probably solo too), one more time, with 'lessons learned' from the first game and then we'll move on to scenario 2!

I've got an OTT game to play next, so maybe after that. We played TnT Weds, see 'Back in the Room' thread in UK Wing.

"He is wise who watches"

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

I've got an OTT game to play next, so maybe after that. We played TnT Weds, see 'Back in the Room' thread in UK Wing.
    Will check that out! Cheers!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Looks like I'll be running Scenario 1 again on Monday (19th July) ! - This time it's with the Martians vs Albatross D.Va vs a Sopwith Snipe! Sorry it's been a while since my last post! - Technical difficulties on the homefront took my attention!

Default AAR - Scenario 1: Avalanches above.

Well, I had a stab at this scenario a while back whilst I began setting about the altitude rules, here are the edited highlights:

A Sopwith Triplane is brought back to the front, fitted with a camera and sent out to investigate the reported sighting of a massive crater behind the open countryside of 'Hunland' to see what on earth the Jerry is up to.
    Ray, our pilot, is surprised to see what turns out to be a German triplane approaching the same area, 'What's he about ?'
    To the consternation of all a monstrous metal machine clambers from the crater and advances across the countryside on three leg; shooting out a pillar of some black smoke as it does so.
    This doesn't look good and both pilots decide to take action they think appropriate.

Name:	SAM_3156.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	307177

Ray doesn't panic as he closes with the beast but slows and snaps a pic for the higher ups as requested

Name:	SAM_3157.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	307178

The filthy black smoke cloud dissipates mysteriously as the German triplane passes through it - it appears to have sustained damage to it's fabric.. 'What the..? Best keep away from that...'

Name:	SAM_3158.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	307179

As the aircraft turn in pursuit of the fast moving machine it drops more black smoke on them as it lopes away.
    The Sopwith's fabric blisters, holes appear and the engine begins to misfire.. Ray must head for home with his picture while he still can

Name:	SAM_3160.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	307180

Ray manages a long range shot but the rounds appear to bounce off the target, seems the German has no luck either.

Name:	SAM_3161.JPG 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	307181

As the Tripod continues to move away Werner scores solid hits - whilst the bullets still appear to bounce off there is a shower of sparks from the body of the monster so something has happened...

Name:	SAM_3162.JPG 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	307182

Name:	SAM_3163.JPG 
Size:	267.5 KB 
ID:	307183

As the Tripod stops over a factory style building and looks to draw power from it the aircraft close - Ray decides he must take the opportunity presented to stop the German and rakes the triplane at close range as it engages the Tripod.

Name:	SAM_3164.JPG 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	307184

As it turns out the wound sustained in that burst is what stops Werner from taking his picture and the wound is serious enough for him to break off. Verdammt !

Name:	SAM_3165.JPG 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	307185

Butcher's Tally:

Name:	SAM_3166.JPG 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	307186
    Marvin: light damage - row on the right are energy loss.
    Werner: FRTB-W / WIA no pic
    Ray: FRTB-E & pic taken

Old habits die hard it would seem. The warring factions will have to trust each other more if they are to take on the Martian horde in any sort of co-operation.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. The Apostles of Tripods & Triplanes
    By NewFlyBoy in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2019, 07:32
  2. The BBC goes 'Tripods and Triplanes' !!!!!
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2018, 07:54
  3. Tripods and Triplanes BGG contest!
    By Nightbomber in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Last Post: 12-14-2017, 20:06
  4. Tripods and Triplanes BGG contest!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Last Post: 12-14-2017, 20:06
  5. Tripods and Triplanes thoughts