Ares Games

Thread: Any rumors on what will be reprinted in the second half of the year?

Default Any rumors on what will be reprinted in the second half of the year?

Was just curious if anybody had a scoop on what reprints might show up in the second half of the year. I’m fairly new to the game and missed out on a lot of the models. eBay has been great so far but a lot of the more rare ones go for insane prices.

Don't hold your breath--much of the tooling was destroyed or damaged in shipping between subcontractors. With how Ares's cash flows work, reprints will have to wait until tooling budget is available, and that won't happen until they've generated enough funding from selling existing product or runs of intact tooling. It also bears note that, if memory serves, a typical production cycle requires factory time to be booked and paid for anywhere from nine months to a YEAR before the run even starts production--and the PTO theme we worked up that I researched for them was *very* reprint heavy, if the Wildcat and Zero tooling was among the losses that's On Hold until they can be replaced.

I suspect this is why boardgames are ruling the roost, no hard sculpting/tooling costs just graphics design and print layout.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Sounds like i may start taking vitamins to live long enough to see another airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Don't hold your breath--much of the tooling was destroyed or damaged in shipping between subcontractors.

Oh, no!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    Sounds like i may start taking vitamins to live long enough to see another airplane.
    Oof, sobering response but I appreciate the info. I was able to flesh out my collection pretty decently so I'm not desperate for planes but it was an exciting thought that I might get lucky with some reprints that I wanted in the nearer term.

I'm hopeful we'll see something next year--but Ares has to get the money-train running again, and that's gonna start with WWI since they've had the longer dry spell.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

The good news is that the fine people that made the Battlestar Galactica minis will now be making our airplanes. I can't wait (but have to) to see the first planes they release. Anything in the range of their BSG quality and they will blow away the planes we have gotten in the last 'fill in the blank' years.

Well one would hope there was insurance involved in the shipping of said products! So there shouldn’t be any outlay of money just time to reproduce the tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The good news is that the fine people that made the Battlestar Galactica minis will now be making our airplanes. I can't wait (but have to) to see the first planes they release. Anything in the range of their BSG quality and they will blow away the planes we have gotten in the last 'fill in the blank' years.
    That's only as good as the CAD model the tooling is made from. Expect the slab wings and mis-spaced Tripes to continue.

That's only as good as the CAD model the tooling is made from. Expect the slab wings and mis-spaced Tripes to continue.
    Maybe they can hire RAF to replicate things for them!

Don't hold your breath--much of the tooling was destroyed or damaged in shipping between subcontractors. With how Ares's cash flows work, reprints will have to wait until tooling budget is available, and that won't happen until they've generated enough funding from selling existing product or runs of intact tooling. It also bears note that, if memory serves, a typical production cycle requires factory time to be booked and paid for anywhere from nine months to a YEAR before the run even starts production--and the PTO theme we worked up that I researched for them was *very* reprint heavy, if the Wildcat and Zero tooling was among the losses that's On Hold until they can be replaced.

I suspect this is why boardgames are ruling the roost, no hard sculpting/tooling costs just graphics design and print layout.

oooffff! thats rough about the tool and dies. do you suppose there was malice involved because of the switch?
    i wonder it this might finally spur ares to split up some of the aircraft from a particular series so they can concentrate on the better sellers.

more like download your consciousness into an android.........

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    oooffff! thats rough about the tool and dies. do you suppose there was malice involved because of the switch?
    It would not surprise me one bit--usual Chinese manufacturing practice is the tooling never leaves the original factory, which is why many figure lines see uncanny bootleg knockoffs slip out the back door--they use the tooling YOU paid for to make more under their own bran or for somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i wonder it this might finally spur ares to split up some of the aircraft from a particular series so they can concentrate on the better sellers.
    It would not surprise me one bit--usual Chinese manufacturing practice is the tooling never leaves the original factory, which is why many figure lines see uncanny bootleg knockoffs slip out the back door--they use the tooling YOU paid for to make more under their own bran or for somebody else.
    I heard a lot about Chinese factory practices from the guys at the Catalyst Games booth a few Origins ago, while discussing the return of Leviathan.
    It's surprising so many gaming companies deal with them, though they probably mark it down to the cost of doing business, and to heck with ethics.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I heard a lot about Chinese factory practices from the guys at the Catalyst Games booth a few Origins ago, while discussing the return of Leviathan.
    It's surprising so many gaming companies deal with them, though they probably mark it down to the cost of doing business, and to heck with ethics.
    Karl
    They believe "China is literally the only place in the world that can make this stuff"--I've seen Hasbro and Mattel moving similar plastic+paper+metal "mixed media" lines to Vietnam though, admittedly that's toys not games but the manufacturing needs are the same. I bet there are plenty of Czech or other ex-ComBloc-country companies that could do it... heck, it'd be a step down from their usual but find a paper-side printing partner and Valom could easily do the models aside from the hand-assembly.

I don't know what tooling means, but if they lost forms for Albatross V (peg not centered) and Pfalz (tail is a part of the body and crooked), they have a chance to make it right now.

I don't know what tooling means, but if they lost forms for Albatross V (peg not centered) and Pfalz (tail is a part of the body and crooked), they have a chance to make it right now.
    Tooling is the molds and dies that cast the individual plastic and metal pieces that make up each miniature. Some of the defects are at the 'CAD Model' level, and I don't see those getting fixed until the modelers can be made to see that there is a problem--denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Similar Missions

1. Were Gothas reprinted in 2014?
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2021, 00:43
  2. Recently released Reprinted Materials.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-29-2021, 02:14
  3. Whats Been Reprinted?
    By strontiumdog in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2015, 15:31
  4. Reprinted 2nd wave minis
    By Honza in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2015, 07:12
  5. Replies: 222