Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM Mission 01 - Tom Blazin’ Denies the Enemy, 5th October 1916 by ShadowDragon

Default OTT-BYM Mission 01 - Tom Blazin’ Denies the Enemy, 5th October 1916 by ShadowDragon

OTT-BYM Mission 01: Tom Blazin’ Denies the Enemy, 5th October 1916 by gully raker:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...by-gully_raker

FSL John ‘Jack’ Wilde (Canadian) – X Squadron, RNAS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JackHS.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	302541

Jack sat in the corner of the wardroom nursing some Canadian rye whisky – spirit favoured in X Squadron only by Jack and his fellow Canadian, Al Smith. All the more for himself, thought Jack. The squadron personnel in the wardroom steered well-clear of the normally good-natured, Canadian ‘cowboy’. He was in a foul mood and had been ever since the disastrous, artillery spotting mission the previous week when the squadron lost all three aeroplanes that had tasked with the mission. Two squadron members were dead and a third, Fergis O’Neil, was missing – perhaps dead, but might as well be as it was clear that Fergis was a traitor, with republican sympathies. Jack was supposed to be on that mission as the senior scout pilot but his Nieuport Bébé had been sabotaged. There could be no doubt that the saboteur was Fergis.

A group of misfits that bond and become a cracker-jack fighting unit would later be a trope of Hollywood war films, but that was later. It really was the case for the X Squadron. A previous commanding officer had evaluated Jack as “a good pilot but a poor officer”. When Jack had become one of the squadron’s three aces, Jack had thought that reputation had been left behind; as had the squadron with its enviable record – 26 kills in three months, but all of that seemed to Jack to have gone up in smoke…or rather down with the three aircraft lost the previous week. I’m not fit for command, thought Jack, that’s better left to those with the knack, like Flashman or Jock, but with Flashman laid up for a couple of weeks, Jock needed a 2iC and Jack, as the only one of their three aces fit for duty, was the obvious choice. Bloody unfair, thought Jack; although it wasn’t exactly clear what was ‘unfair’.

Not even the arrival of their new aircraft, the Sopwith Pups, to replace the fragile Nieuports had cheered Jack – so he sat wallowing in self-pity.

FCdr Nigel Flashman

Name:	Flashman.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	302543

Just then Flashman entered the wardroom – looking like ever so much like his time in hospital had involved as much champagne and pretty nurses and recuperating – but, for someone like Flashman, champagne and pretty ladies were

“Hullo, Jack, just the chap I was looking for – just got back and I’ve been chatting with the old Rumsbottle.”

Squadron CO, Sir Henry Rumsbottle

Name:	Sir Henry Rumsbottle.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	302544

“You need to get yourself back ‘up on the horse’ as you cowboys would say. Have a go at the Hun, eh wot? There’s a Hun sausage that’s been causing the chaps in the trenches trouble. It needs some of our special attention. You and I will go up along with the new chap, Tom Watson, the Kiwi.”

FSL Thomas ‘Tom’ Watson

Name:	Tom Watson.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	302538

“I didn’t know we were recruiting babies.”

“Don’t let his looks deceive you. Tom’s been flying anti-zeppelin patrols. He’s got no confirmed kills but he’s got an excellent record. He’s got experience with Trace and Pomeroy rounds the naval service has developed. Those should work a treat against the balloon, but we’ve been forbidden to use those against aeroplanes, so you and I will need to keep the Hun off Tom’s tail.”

“What about Jock?”

“Jock’s going to be flying ‘shotgun’, as you’d say, for the Strutters. With Bruce still mending – picked up a bit of influenza – and Al on leave, there’s just the four of us to fly scouts.”

The next morning, the Flashman, Jack and Tom headed to where their new aeroplanes, the Pups, were waiting. When he saw the gaudy machines – painted according to the instructions of their pilots – Flashman sighed. He rather liked the subtle combination of overall PC10 with CDL fuselage sides for his Pup, but those of Jock, Jack and Bruce were a sight. Jock’s seemed to have extra target circles painted on to help the enemy. Bruce was not there so it must have been Jack who instructed the crew to paint that Pup the same light blue as Bruce’s Nieuport. At least Jack’s ultramarine fuselage was a bit better than his Nieuport’s teal blue – then he saw the underside of the wings. Oh my!

Name:	Sopwith Pups - BYM X Sqn.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	302539

“The Hun is sure to see you coming with those colours, Jack.”

“I want them to see me coming,” Jack winked.

And with that Jack clambered into the spanking new aeroplane.

In a few minutes the three of them – Flashman, Tom and Jack – were withing sight of the Hun balloon as it wasn’t far from the aerodrome.

Name:	BYM0101.jpg 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	302513

Across No-man’s-land, Jack spotted a CDL Albatros (Fwbl Vicktor Quandt). His blood ran cold. It was one of Hun’s latest scouts – equipped with two machineguns. It was Albatros that had devastated the squadron the prior week.

Name:	BYM0102.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	302514

On the other flank, Flashman, spotted the second Hun scout – another Albatros, a brown one (Reinhold. Flashman had heard about these new infernal machines of the enemy and had a similar reaction to Jack.

Name:	BYM0103.jpg 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	302515

In the middle Tom seemed as ‘cool as a cucumber’ and focussed on the yellow, Hun balloon.

Name:	BYM0104.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	302516

In now time Tom was firing his mixed ammo of ball/Tracer/Brock/Pomeroy at the balloon.

Name:	BYM0105.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	302517

The enemy scouts broke left and right to circle around the balloon. Tom continued firing at the balloon while Flashman and Jack joined in – just to confuse the Huns as to which as the balloon-hunter; or so Jack told himself when he really knew he wasn’t concentrating which put his aim was off. I have to stop thinking about the past and focus on the here and now or I’ll be a dead man, he thought.

Name:	BYM0106.jpg 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	302518

Jack focussed, or tried to focus. The CDL Albatros pilot (Vicktor) wasn’t fooled. He knew all about the new incendiary ammunition and headed for Tom. Jack got a passing shot at the Hun. Not good enough, thought, Jack. Tom, meanwhile, seemed to be oblivious to the enemy scout and continued shooting at the balloon – well, he was forbidden to fire on an aeroplane.

Name:	BYM0107.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	302519

On the other side of the balloon, Flashman and the brown Albatros (Reinhold Piechulek) had a nose-to-nose engagement. Although not obvious to Jack at first both had scored hits on their opponent’s engine and both would be returning to their stations.

Name:	BYM0108.jpg 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	302520

Tom’s Vickers must have jammed as Jack spotted Tom smacking the gun with a wooden mallet. Where did he pick up that trick, Jack wondered. Jeez, wouldn’t catch me doing that with explosive ammunition on board. Tom was so focussed on unjamming his Vickers that he didn’t notice the Albatros until the last second, but with a swift, evasive manoeuvre Tom was safe.

Name:	BYM0109.jpg 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	302521

Whatever Tom did with that mallet, it worked wonders. With the next burst, the incendiary bullets found their mark and flames flickered from the side of the balloon. In now time, the two Hun observers had exited their basked and two parachutes opened.

Name:	BYM0110.jpg 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	302522

Jack jerked his attenetion back to the CDL Albatros (Vicktor). Stay focussed, Jack, stay focussed, Jack repeated to himself in his mind.

Name:	BYM0111.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	302523

Jack was rewarded with black smoke pouring from the enemy (Vicktor); although the Hun had got a bit of his own back at Jack’s Pup. Meanwhile the fire flared up on the balloon.

Name:	BYM0112.jpg 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	302524

Flashman and his foe (Reinhold) were returning to their stations. Flashman was fortunate enough to get a passing shot at the Hun. Not much damage, but every little bit helps, though Flashman.

Name:	BYM0113.jpg 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	302525

Tom dove down to the level of the now descending balloon (forgot to take a peg out) and lined up for another pass. Jack could see that the young New Zealander was on-mark. Must be his experience firing at zeppelins.

Name:	BYM0114.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	302526

Unfortunately Tom hadn’t seen the brown Albatros (Reinhold) off his right side. The Hun might be heading home but an opportunistic shot got the Kiwi. Jack saw Tom jerk up in his cockpit. ‘tarnation he’s been hit, thought Jack.

Name:	BYM0115.jpg 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	302527

The flames on the balloon seem to die out a bit. Jack cursed at that. With Tom hit and Flashman now apparently heading back to the naval station, they needed luck. Jack hauled out the rabbit’s foot he picked up just before the mission on which he had gotten his ace status. Come on, you dud of a talisman, it’s time for you to work your magic, the thought to himself.

Name:	BYM0116.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	302528

Just then the CDL Albatros (Vicktor) misjudged Tom and flew right past the Pup without firing a shot. On the other hand, whatever Tom had done with the mallet on the Vickers, it had worked. Two more fires burst out on the Hun balloon. Well, I’ll be, thought Jack. Good job, he mouthed to the rabbit’s foot. It would be tough for the Huns to safely recover a balloon with three fires.

Name:	BYM0117.jpg 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	302529

Tom kept at – another fire! Jack focussed on his task – keeping the CDL Hun (Vicktor) away from Tom.

Name:	BYM0118.jpg 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	302530

Tom still kept firing at the balloon which now ‘sported’ four fires. Get away from there, Jack thought, it’s gonna go. He worried that this would be their new, young comrade’s first and last mission with the squadron – wounded and skimming alongside a balloon that might explode any second.

Name:	BYM0119.jpg 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	302531

And go it did. Jack had never seen a balloon burst like this one – rather like the 4th of July in the US. Tom’s Pup rocked. Jack was sure that no one could fly away from that conflagration, but, amazingly, the Kiwi flew out of the smoke and flaming debris – seemingly safe.

Name:	BYM0120.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	302532

Jack turned his attention back – yet again – to his CDL foe (Vicktor). Jack was on the Hun’s tail. No doubt, if he’s got any sense, he’ll flip his machine around in an Immelmann turn, thought Jack.

Name:	BYM0121.jpg 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	302533

By now Jack had the height advantage on the Hun (Vicktor); and, as Jack expected, the Hun had come around in an Immelmann turn. Got you, thought Jack, but fate is fickle. The Hun fired back – a bullet hit the heavy metal clasp on the side of the cockpit and from which dangled the rabbit’s foot and deflected just enough to hit Jack in his right arm. With the pain in his arm, Jack was having trouble controlling the Pup, which fortunately was easy to fly – later in the war with a Sopwith Camel, Jack would likely have crashed. I want my money back, thought Jack.

(Note: only one damage card due to altitude difference; the first 5-wound card was nullified by the 'Lucky Git' ace skill only to see a 2nd 5-wound card drawn. Yikes. Should be glad it wasn't a boom card. I shouldn't have drawn the 2nd damage card. I got confused with the Sniper rule where if you don't like a result you draw another cards. The nullified card isn't supposed to be replaced with the 'Lucky Git' rule - oops. Anyway the 2nd 5-Wound card was the next one in the deck and if Jack had continued to dog-fight, he'd likely have gotten the 2nd 5-wound. i've asked that the result stands as it's my mistake so my Seadogs suffer. LoL)

Name:	BYM0122.jpg 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	302534

Jack headed back to the station. He hoped he get back to within range of the Archie before the Hun (Vicktor) would be on his tail.

Name:	BYM0123.jpg 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	302535

However, the Hun (Vicktor) was no novice and soon on Jack’s tail. Jack had done the same to enemy enough times, but not often was he the hunted. He did not like the feeling. Fortunately the height advantage was with Jack and he kept the Pup well above the Albatros.

Name:	BYM0124.jpg 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	302536

The Hun (Vicktor) choose not to pursue Jack into range of the British AA guns and turned towards Tom’s Pup which was now approaching safety. He would not catch Tom. The new Sopwith Pups were a great improvement upon the Nieuport 11 Bébés they replaced.

Name:	BYM0125.jpg 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	302537

The mission was a success and except for Jack crashing his Pup on landing they were all safe. Jack’s wound, while painful, was only a flesh wound. The doc said he’d be back up in no time. Tom’s bullet wound was just a graze but he may have suffered a concussion from the balloon’s blast. The doc wanted Tom grounded for a while longer.

However, whatever the doc’s advice they all felt like celebrating Tom’s glorious victory. Rest could come a little later; and with his dark mood broken, Jack would not be denied some of Flashman’s bubbly. Nor could Flashman deny his comrades dipping into his reserve – although he wasn’t happy with the implications for his purse.

FSL Allan 'Al' Smith

Name:	Al.jpg 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	302540

While the drinkin’ and singin’ was going on, Al Smith burst in to the wardroom.

“I saw him.”

“Saw who”, said Jack.

“Saw whom”, corrected Ian, one of the Strutter pilots.

“Fergis.”

ex-FSL Fergis O'Neil

Name:	Fergis.jpg 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	302542

“Fergis?”

“I’m sure it was him. He was in the uniform of an flying corps major. I reported him to the military police. They kept me for several hours. Finally they told me to go and forget all about. That I had seen a Major Pickle who only resembled Fergis, but I don’t believe it. We’ve been wardroom mates for three months. I’d recognize that aloof Irishman anywhere.”

That quietened the wardroom as they all mulled over what that meant.

Finally Flashman broke the silence, “It’s been a long day, chaps. Let’s all get some rest.”

Victory Points:

Seadogs:
    Balloon destroyed = 20 points
    Scout FRTB = 5 points
    Total = 25 points

Adlers
    Scout FRTB = 2 X 5 pointds = 10 points
    Total 10 points

Seadog Victory
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 06-10-2021 at 20:02.

Butcher’s Bill

The Seadogs
    FCdr Nigel Flashman - CDL Pup / FRTB-E / - / 0 kills / 1 probable FRTB-E
    Crash landing roll = 1, 2; Safe landing

Name:	BYM01BBFlashman.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	302545

FSL Jack Wilde - ultramarine Pup / FRTB-W / WIA / 0 kills
    Crash landing roll = 1, 1; crashed
    C&W = 9 - 1 WIA - 1 FRTB + 1 RTB = 8; injured; rolled 1 = skip 1
    Result = Skip 1

Name:	BYM01BBJack.jpg 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	302546

FSL Tom Watson - PC10 Pup / RTB / WIA / 1 kill (balloon)
    C&W = 7 - 1 WIA +1 RTB = 7; injured; rolled 5 = skip 2
    Result = Skip 2

Name:	BYM01BBTom.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	302547

The Adlers
    Ltn Reinhold Piechulek - brown Albatros DII / FRTB-E / - / 0 kills / 1 probable FRTB-E
    Crash landing roll = 3, 4; Safe landing

Name:	BYM01BBReinhold.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	302548

Fwbl Vicktor Quandt - CDL Albatros DII / RTB / - / 0 kills / 1 probable FRTB-W

Name:	BYM01BBVicktor.jpg 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	302549

German Observation Balloon

Name:	BYM01BBBalloon.jpg 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	302550
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 07-11-2021 at 09:20. Reason: Tally Adjust

Well done, Paul.
    Love the fire and smoke effects - and your 'weathered' balloon looks good, too.
    Seeing those incendiaries inflict all kinds of carnage I sure hope my Adler can take down the Bulldogs quickly.
    That Lucky Pilot rabbit's foot certainly saved Jack's day. Two 5s with Wound would definitely spoil Juan's day.

REP has been sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Well done, Paul.
    Love the fire and smoke effects - and your 'weathered' balloon looks good, too.
    Seeing those incendiaries inflict all kinds of carnage I sure hope my Adler can take down the Bulldogs quickly.
    That Lucky Pilot rabbit's foot certainly saved Jack's day. Two 5s with Wound would definitely spoil Juan's day.

REP has been sent.
    Thanks Pete and for the rep. I've amended the AAR - it was just a single 5-wound drawn due to the altitude. I nullified it with the 'Lucky Git' skill only to see a 2nd 5-wound drawn. Serves me right for combining 2 'A' decks. At least it wasn't a boom,

Wonderful looking planes! Great AAR!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Wonderful looking planes! Great AAR!
    Glad you like the AAR and planes, Dan. I took me quite awhile to find Jack’s ultramarine plane. For awhile I thought I’d end up just doing another teal one to match the Nieuport but when I saw this scheme it was the one.

If we ever get to using Camels you can look to your left to see Jack’s plane - if Jack should survive that long.

Thumbs up

Good effort there Paul. The Incendiary ammo certainly does the trick!
    Love your Pups. Great looking planes.
    Your 2 scouts did a great job of keeping the Albatross's off the Balloon busting plane.

Have so Rep on me.

Great to see the Pups in action and a great set to with a very decent result of a (very) flaming sausage !
    Confused by the 2nd 5-wound draw on Jack - If only one damage card due to altitude difference & the first 5-wound card was nullified by the 'Lucky Git' ace skill why was a 2nd card drawn ?

Uncle says:

Well done you chaps, you all made it back a little banged up if not in one piece but you got the job done. GHQ are made up with the result and the local chaps were very happy with the whole show. We have something to celebrate

RTB rather than Landed at Aerodrome in the Tally please, other than that looks all good bar Jacks wound card.. Do you think Flashman told him about the nurses ?! I have entered the results as given for now.
    Last edited by flash; 06-07-2021 at 01:50.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Good effort there Paul. The Incendiary ammo certainly does the trick!
    Love your Pups. Great looking planes.
    Your 2 scouts did a great job of keeping the Albatross's off the Balloon busting plane. Have so Rep on me.
    Thanks, Baz.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Great to see the Pups in action and a great set to with a very decent result of a (very) flaming sausage !
    Confused by the 2nd 5-wound draw on Jack - If only one damage card due to altitude difference & the first 5-wound card was nullified by the 'Lucky Git' ace skill why was a 2nd card drawn ?

Uncle says:

Well done you chaps, you all made it back a little banged up if not in one piece but you got the job done. GHQ are made up with the result and the local chaps were very happy with the whole show. We have something to celebrate

RTB rather than Landed at Aerodrome in the Tally please, other than that looks all good bar Jacks wound card.. Do you think Flashman told him about the nurses ?! I have entered the results as given for now.
    Thanks, uncle. The chaps at the squadron are a little rusty with the rules. For some reason, the 'Lucky Git' mechanism got confused with the 'Sniper' mechanism - i.e., for a sniper if you don't like the card draw another; rather than just nullified and not replaced. My bad - so leave the result as is. It's already influenced the game play and been written into the story. Plus the 5-Wound was the next card; and if Jack had stuck around dog-fighting the Albatros he'd have got that card soon enough.

Darn rabbit's foot should have had a rules refresher course.

ETA: Added a note in the story about the error.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 06-07-2021 at 06:16.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    ...should have had a rules refresher course.
    I felt the same way with the exploding balloon ! Uncle will leave result as is.

"He is wise who watches"

Well done Paul, an exciting AAR, the planes look great, but I think I already said that. A big incentive for finishing my pups. Tom obviously has his head screwed on the right way round or is the mallet trick becoming standard training? Possibly not when used on explosive ammo.

I follow the Fergis story with interest, I imagine that eventually it will be resolved, or maybe not. Either way it's intriguing.

Cheers

Oh no! - the Rep gun is jammed, how did that happen, pass me the mallet.

I meant to ask but forgot, where did the balloon come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Well done Paul, an exciting AAR, the planes look great, but I think I already said that. A big incentive for finishing my pups. Tom obviously has his head screwed on the right way round or is the mallet trick becoming standard training? Possibly not when used on explosive ammo.

I follow the Fergis story with interest, I imagine that eventually it will be resolved, or maybe not. Either way it's intriguing.

Cheers

Oh no! - the Rep gun is jammed, how did that happen, pass me the mallet.

I meant to ask but forgot, where did the balloon come from?
    It's possible that Tom is one of psychopathic individuals that society finds most welcome in a war but no-so-much otherwise. Hard to say as Tom's been a bit reticent. 'Still water runs deep." More to come there I suspect.

I think the mallet trick is one of those things that spreads like wildfire with no seeming direction from above. So, picked up here and there by right-minded pilots with the higher ups in much ignorance of such a splendid technique - well, okay, not on explosive ammo.

Yes, there are plans for Fergis and there will be a resolution - an all is revealed episode - mission outcomes willing. .....or maybe not.

The balloon is one of two Shapeways (RAF) balloons I did up. WoW ones are rarer than common sense politicians.

The mallet trick was less of a trick, more like the operation to clear a particular jam on a Maxim type machine gun. It seems to have become popular here for fixing any jam, though that was not the case, and has even been applied to Lewis guns which I'm not sure would work but might be immensely satisfying.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...axim-Stoppages
    Last edited by flash; 06-09-2021 at 03:04.

"He is wise who watches"

The mallet trick was less of a trick, more like the operation to clear a particular jam on a Maxim type machine gun. It seems to have become popular here for fixing any jam, though that was not the case, and has even been applied to Lewis guns which I'm not sure would work but might be immensely satisfying.
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...axim-Stoppages
    Dave I don't think you should take the mallet trick too seriously, I introduced it into the story in the 2nd Daring Young Men along with trying to blow out flames on the plane. It was tongue in cheek only.

This was the original quote. I'd no idea that some bright spark would pinch my idea and use it on a Maxim gun well before my time. I've just looked at your post and no idea it could have been used seriously.

Jack continues to fire into the Rumpler but the return shooting is accurate and deadly, all of a sudden there are flames erupting from behind me. Good grief, I don’t want to fry, I try and remember what was drilled into me back in training. Try and blow the flames out, I take a deep breath and blow but it has no effect.

I swing the FEE to starboard trying to get the wind from the slipstream to blow out the flames, this seems to have more effect than me blowing on them and we suffer no further damage.
    Jack is ignoring the flames and continues shooting but it is ineffectual, however Jack’s gun goes silent, he gets out a wooden mallet and starts to hit the Lewis Gun. I asked him later if it was standard practice to try and clear jams like that, he gave me a very strange expression and said “No but it relieves the tension and some times it seems to work”

I do worry about him.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 06-10-2021 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Dave I don't think you should take the mallet trick too seriously...
    I don't, it does give me a grin though, especially when not used on maxim's.

"He is wise who watches"

I don't, it does give me a grin though, especially when not used on maxim's.
    If my stories make you smile, I'm more than happy.

My word John, you are an ambidexterous yarn spinner. Fluent in two periods of history!
    What a great story line, to be sure.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My word John, you are an ambidexterous yarn spinner. Fluent in two periods of history!
    What a great story line, to be sure.
    Rob.

Hey, Rob! Thanks. I must get my next SoGgy mission and AAR done! It’s been awhile.

And for yarn spinning I can think of no greater personage to emulate than John el Vagabondo.

Well written Paul. Loved the overlays on the photos, must learn how to do that one day
    Rep inbound.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Well written Paul. Loved the overlays on the photos, must learn how to do that one day
    Rep inbound.
    It’s easy-peasy. Just need a program like PowerPoint. I have CorelDraw but it’s overkill.

Nice one Paul. Love those Pups, they really are the business. Interesting story line and I'm very intrigued about Fergis O'Neil. I'm wondering where he'll turn up next As for the use of a wooden mallet to clear gun jams, I rather think it a splendid idea. Perhaps one covered in gold leaf would look classy. Have some rep for a good yarn

Great AAR with those wonderful Pups, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Nice one Paul. Love those Pups, they really are the business. Interesting story line and I'm very intrigued about Fergis O'Neil. I'm wondering where he'll turn up next As for the use of a wooden mallet to clear gun jams, I rather think it a splendid idea. Perhaps one covered in gold leaf would look classy. Have some rep for a good yarn
    Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Great AAR with those wonderful Pups, Paul
    Thanks, chaps. I was happy to get my Pups done in time for the opening mission. I have my ideas for Fergis, Mike, but the events of the missions seem to make hash of my ideas.

Nicely done Paul. Love the new Pup squadron. Good to see them all make it back so we'll see them again.

Hope Jack finds a new talisman. Maybe the Kiwi has an extra one for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nicely done Paul. Love the new Pup squadron. Good to see them all make it back so we'll see them again.

Hope Jack finds a new talisman. Maybe the Kiwi has an extra one for him.
    Thanks, Peter.

Serves Jack right for not paying attention to rules. He had that reputation when he joined the squadron and now he's been dinged with it for not understanding the 'Lucky Git' rule.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTBYM Mission 1 – Vagabond Denies the Enemy – Oct 5th 1916
    By Vagabond in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-30-2021, 19:13
  2. AAR OTTBYM Mission 1 - Flash Denies the Enemy - October 5th 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-30-2021, 18:45
  3. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-05-2021, 01:31
  4. AAR OTT CYM Mission 10 - Keep on Trucking 12-18 Sep 1916 - by ShadowDragon