Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Workbench 2021

Default June Workbench 2021

A silly little project that I'm working on... a late 1960's era Cessna T-37B trainer to battle with WWI Wings of Glory.

The answer to your first question is... YES, marijuana is legal in Colorado. Here is why I've rounded up a Shapeways T-37 and a bunch of decals...

In a few weeks, I’m traveling to my parent’s house for a reunion. I plan on introducing my father to Wings of Glory. He is a retired Air Force pilot and I found the training aircraft in which he solo’ed. It is a Cessna T-37, serial number 14745. I thought it would be fun if he could play a T-37 in the game, so I had Shapeways make one in 1/144.

This is serial number 14745 in 1967, fresh from the factory:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0732.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	302336

The T-37 has a length of 29 ft and a wingspan of 32 ft, so it is very similar in size to a WWI large fighter or small 2 seater. After that things get a little silly…The performance is wildly different, but max speed with gear down was 150 mph, so the Shapeways model has the gear down. The trainer has no weapons, but The T-37C model even had armament in one .308 cal machine gun in the nose.

Here is what I've painted up. Decals not yet applied, but gloss coat is dry enough now. It has a gimbal ball/ring magnet installed.Fortunately, the plane is just white with a bit of black glare paint in front of the cockpit, so that is about as easy as it gets.

Name:	IMG_2450.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	302337

I thought I would play it with an M maneuver deck, like the Sopwith Snipe uses. I’ll probably fly a Fokker D.VII against it, so that will be fair enough. I'll go with the same M, A, 16 stats that the Snipe uses. The Albatros in the pic is just for reference... like Tim, I measure everything in Alabtrossiness, "Just go about 100 Albatros lengths down the road and hang a left".

Now all I need is a plane card. Anyone? I have weak graphics skills. But it would look something like this:

Name:	T-37A real photo for colors.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	302338

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	302339

Name:	T-37a diagram.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	302340
    The description would simply be:

Cessna T-37B “Tweet”
    Lt. Col. Richard Scharf
    United Sates Air Force

I've uploaded these graphics into one of my profile photo albums. Contact me if you're game. I'm going to send the pre-eminent plane card master, Mike, a PM to see what he thinks.

Wonderful project, Jeff, that is awesome! Hope you and your dad have fun with it.

Little light deco over my Hornblower collection . . .

Name:	20210601_231642_resized.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	302341

now that's an interesting variation on a theme. Nice one David

This isn't really pretty, but will it do? If you provide squadron, rank and your father's name, I can add those to the card.

Name:	Cessna T-37A.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	302343
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Jeff, that should be a blast with your dad flying his trainer. Look forward to the AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    This isn't really pretty, but will it do? If you provide squadron, rank and your father's name, I can add those to the card.

Views:	235 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	302343
    That's excellent, Robert! I would like the card to say:

Cessna T-37B “Tweet”
    United States Air Force
    Lt. Col. Richard Scharf

I think it will be a super fun surprise for him. I'm going to play a game or two with him, then roll out his plane if I can defeat him. "Hey, maybe flying something you are more familiar with might help!". I've even got the decals to put the serial number on the tail to personalize it more.

Great Jeff - I'm sure you and your dad will have a blast. Hope we get to see a pic or three

Changes as requested.

Views:	226 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	302344

Interesting project, Jeff. Always good to play with your Dad.
    If you play WGS, I could probably get you stats for that.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Little light deco over my Hornblower collection . . .

Name:	20210601_231642_resized.jpg 
Views:	224 
ID:	302341
    Very nice, David.
    Placement art is an underrated skill.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Changes as requested.

Views:	226 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	302344
    Thank you so much! This is going to make his day. I’m so very fortunate that my parents, who will be turning 79 this year, are healthy and active. I haven’t seen them in well over two years now. Some good food and drink. Some fun games. It is going to be awesome.

Rep inbound.

Have a brilliant day. Make the most of your parents whilst you still have them.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Not something the British want to see while patrolling the North Sea and English channel. Rumpler 6B1 by RAF via Shapeways with crosses by 1/144 Direct and numerals from Fighting Piranha Graphics.

Name:	800-IMG_0754.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	302379

Re-paints of the Ares Gruber Albatros DIII

The white one is Oblt Hans Bethge, D2147/16 (March/April 1917) and the green one is Lt Otto Fuchs (June 1917) - taken from the Aeronaut book on Jasta 30. There was no picture of the upper wing surfaces, but the text specifically says that upper surface of the top wing and elevators were white. The contemporary photos of other Jasta 30 DIII planes show the light green / rust brown / dark green pattern so I used that for the bottom wing upper surface. Nothing was mentioned for Otto Fuchs' DIII so I've gone with the same paint scheme even though his 'bilious' green plane is a bit latter. The text says only the fuselage, but the profile also shows the tail as 'bilious' green. The author and Otto Fuchs recreated 'bilious' green and the colour on the model is pretty close to what's in the Aeronaut book.

Under wing surfaces are the usual light blue.

Overall a very easy repaint. These will make their appearance in the latter part of the current OTT campaign.

Name:	Albatros DIII Jasta 30 v1.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	302406 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros DIII Jasta 30 v2.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	302405

Excellent work Paul and Robert.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    ...Overall a very easy repaint. These will make their appearance in the latter part of the current OTT campaign.
    Look forward to seeing them in action when the time comes Paul, the Obltn's will stand out some.

"He is wise who watches"

Very Nicely done! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Look forward to seeing them in action when the time comes Paul, the Obltn's will stand out some.
    That was intention of Obltn Berthge. Now I have to make sure the Obltn in my Alders flies the Obltn plane. Ahead of schedule for 'Dec 1916' but some Shapeways DII should arrive any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    Very Nicely done! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks, Mike.

OK, been a while but starting a new Soviet army for Flames of War for myself. First addition finished, SU-100's

Name:	100_7726.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	302863

Albatrossyness Part 3, Group # 1

Albatros D.IIIs for Jasta 2, 1917

Name:	Kinkel (1).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	302983
    Gustav Kinkel

Name:	von Tutschek (4).jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	302984
    Adolf Ritter von Tutschek

Name:	Voss (7).jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	302985
    Werner Voss

Name:	unknown (4).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	302986
    unknown pilot

Name:	20210613_192316.jpg 
Views:	165 
ID:	302987
    together...

Name:	20210613_192819.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	302988
    ...and with a reworked-tail Frommherz
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Beautiful work!

Very nice, as always Tim.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

A collection of loveliness there Tim !

"He is wise who watches"

A collection of loveliness there Tim
    Great job, Tim!
    Absolutely

Mini After Action Report

Introduced my father to the game on this Fathers Day. He promptly shot me down after I gave him his new aircraft to fly! Let’s just say my draw was not great.

He really enjoyed his present. I gave him the full history of his aircraft after he soloed in it, including it being sent to the Boneyard in 2008. Thought I might even have seen a tear in the eye. He has the model on his desk now. A great family reunion this week and an even better Fathers Day.

Name:	C691677A-4552-4878-BA0F-652FCC4F29B0.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	303191

Best of the game - sharing the heritage! Well done indeed.

Grand Father's Day gesture!

Shame your Bolle was on the receiving end!

Awesome report, Jeff! But did your dad even hesitate before pulling the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Awesome report, Jeff! But did your dad even hesitate before pulling the trigger
    Mine wouldn't have!

I hope Bolle fares better in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Mine wouldn't have!

I hope Bolle fares better in the future.
    He shot me down twice in a row - boom card both times! I had 11 damage on him and only drew 3 cards myself. At least I got to make use of my hastily prepared smoke and flame markers. Pipe cleaner, cotton balls and a little paint - I rather like the look!

I introduced the whole family to Zombicide, and my sister is now a fanatic too. I’ll be buying her the 2nd Edition and painting more damn zombies for Christmas. We played many board games with her 2 kids (in their 30’s) and my mom and dad. I brought a car full of games to try on them. They loved most of them and had no idea these kind of games were out there…. Wingspan and Terraforming Mars we’re favorites. I even showed them the ‘Drome and some of Clipper’s work (zeppelins and damn buster creations) - they were stunned. Then some of Flying Helmut’s Albatrossyness - he has HOW many planes? More than the Germans actually had in the war, Mum - I swear!

It was all great fun and my 2,000 mile road trip was a huge success. I’m now the favorite (and only) son and Uncle. I’ll be heading back for Christmas.

You have my pity on Zombicide Jeff. Got all 5 boxes from the first one and half the KS exclusives. Have full KS releases on Black Plague, Green Hordes, the space z-cide, and 2nd Edition, also Massive darkness with the crossover deck for Z-cide. Have the western KS and Massive Darkness 2 KS on order. Funny thing is bought 3 full KS for Black Plague and sold off the exclusive figs on the second one planning of painting the box sets some day. Still have an unopened Full KS in the closet. It is one of the few games I play with my wife where we are not at each others throats (neither is a good winner and we are both highly competitive).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4623.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	303408

It's time for another experiment with Shapeways full-color printing! (My first pass on an Albatros D.III was documented at https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...-in-full-color).

This time, it's an R.A.F. S.E.5a in full James McCudden (56 Sqn) 1917 markings, with an integral flight peg, so it's ready to use out of the box. I'll follow up when the test print arrives.

Name:	RAFSE5a-144-color-Sqd56-McCudden-1917.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	303452 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAFSE5a-144-color-Sqd56-McCudden-1917-2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	303453

Looking good, Daryl.
    This really could be a 'game changer'.
    Pun intended.

Can't wait to see the final print. Big game changer!

Cor!

Looking forward to seeing the resulting mini!

Wow, that's an impressive-looking McCudden, Daryl. Looking forward to seeing the mini

Great idea. Hope it gets cheaper faster. Just needs stands & cards now to use it straight out the box.

"He is wise who watches"

I went to create an orderable product of the full-color SE5a only to discover it couldn't be done on Shapeways' marketplace website. Further research shows that they haven't added a new material to their marketplace choices since 2018.

My guess? (And this is purely semi-informed speculation.)

Their current CEO board of directors sees the Shapeways Marketplace as a big money-sink with questionable return, since they have to invest in web designers' salaries. Their dislike of the Marketplace is why it's hard to find the marketplace from their front page, rather than making it prominent. It's kind of "deprecated". Rather than piss off everyone by eliminating it completely, they "froze" it in 2018. No new materials, no new functionality.

They'd much rather let Etsy and Shopify and HeroForge do all the market-and-selling web-design work and concentrate on the "back end", rapid prototyping, and small-scale manufacturing.

So I'm off to learn Etsy and Shapeways-Etsy integration. Or maybe look into Sculpteo again?

That is a great looking plane and if you can find a platform to sell on the price will be the gamechanger

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    I went to create an orderable product of the full-color SE5a only to discover it couldn't be done on Shapeways' marketplace website. Further research shows that they haven't added a new material to their marketplace choices since 2018.

Their current CEO board of directors sees the Shapeways Marketplace as a big money-sink with questionable return, since they have to invest in web designers' salaries. Their dislike of the Marketplace is why it's hard to find the marketplace from their front page, rather than making it prominent. It's kind of "deprecated". Rather than piss off everyone by eliminating it completely, they "froze" it in 2018. No new materials, no new functionality.

They'd much rather let Etsy and Shopify and HeroForge do all the market-and-selling web-design work and concentrate on the "back end", rapid prototyping, and small-scale manufacturing.

So I'm off to learn Etsy and Shapeways-Etsy integration. Or maybe look into Sculpteo again?
    So where does Shapeways make money, again??

Karl

I really enjoyed reading about your Cessna project and I’m glad your Dad loved it an had fun playing WOG with you. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post

Sell STLs! Or set up a ko-fi/patreon membership thingy! I'd join immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    You have my pity on Zombicide Jeff. Got all 5 boxes from the first one and half the KS exclusives…
    Those are some good looking Zeds, Ken! I’m heading to Telluride for a 4 day gaming vacation with my friends and they ALL want to play Zombicide. We rented a big house and the 8 of us are going to play board games and drink all week. Sadly, no takers for Wings in this crew.

Thanks for the rep Jeff, Covid ain't over yet, just not profitable to keep us locked down any longer. So be safe and try and not get too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Thanks for the rep Jeff, Covid ain't over yet, just not profitable to keep us locked down any longer. So be safe and try and not get too crazy.
    Yeah, just got sobering news on that front. Learned this morning that a coworker and their partner were both infected with the Delta variant, despite their being vaccinated months ago. They think the source was a friend, who also tested positive (also vaccinated) that was asymptomatic. Seems their cases are very mild so far. I haven't been in the office since December 20th, 2019, so I've had no contact with them. But it was a wakeup call.

Damn scary out there.

Very nice work Tim keep it up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your January workbench? 2021
    By Karo7 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-17-2022, 05:46
  2. May Workbench 2021
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 06-01-2021, 08:01