Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Play by PM Game 10 - Targets Confirmed - Finished

Turn 7 sent.

Seems I'l make it over the frontline in one piece again.

With fast twoseaters and altitude rules it's not that easy to score for the Entente...
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Unfortunately the AA gunners who were supposed to help out seem to have loaded blank ammo and despite several hits have inflicted negligible damage on the German aircraft.

I agree that the Entente have struggled to catch the German two seaters due to the speed of the attack and retreat. That said the bombing performance has hardly been stellar due to the rush. Only one out of two primary targets was hit and that a partial. One of the secondary targets certainly got the treatment but the other is untouched.

Whilst the scoring system (which probably needs looking at) will give a German victory, the German staff officers will undoubtedly send the bombers straight back again to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Unfortunately the AA gunners who were supposed to help out seem to have loaded blank ammo and despite several hits have inflicted negligible damage on the German aircraft.

I agree that the Entente have struggled to catch the German two seaters due to the speed of the attack and retreat. That said the bombing performance has hardly been stellar due to the rush. Only one out of two primary targets was hit and that a partial. One of the secondary targets certainly got the treatment but the other is untouched.

Whilst the scoring system (which probably needs looking at) will give a German victory, the German staff officers will undoubtedly send the bombers straight back again to do it properly.
    I must admit I am thankful for the inadequacies of the AA, but await the dressing down the bomber crews will receive on our return to base.
    "Herding Cats" pretty much describes our effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post

First time bombing, will need to get down to level 2 next time I think!!

Next time we sent the Gothas in...

Round 7 in. The race is on. Will I get close?. Just one shot, just one shot

You and me Peter. Will we reach the party in time

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    You and me Peter. Will we reach the party in time
    Yes, we will crash the party....I've been known to do that. Sorry Chris!

Hopefully we will get in a few shots before it's over.

Or, maybe you'll just crash. That works for me, since I'm flying for the other side.

Turn 7.1

Camelbeagle sideslips steeply to the right and is hit by Spandau fire as Sam Urai stalls his Hannover. The stall has helped Flash close in though and Sam Urai gets another burst from his pursuer. Something goes bang in the Hannover, overstressed struts creak and fabric tears but it is still flying for now. Camel Crew and Teaticket are now heading for the fray at full throttle whilst Zenlizard, Stumptonian and Marechallannes continue serenely on their way home. Lagging behind slightly Baz is hoping to sneak off to the southwest without anyone noticing him. Maybe a slightly less garish paint scheme would have helped with that Baz!

Turn 7.2

Camelbeagle has banked away from Sam Urai but is still hit by a second burst from him. Flash stalls behind the Hannover and lights it up with a third consecutive burst. It all proves too much and Sam Urai and his observer spiral slowly down to crash into the fields thousands of feet below. Camel Crew and Teaticket are now closing rapidly on their wingmen.

Turn 7.3

Not everyone has forgotten about Baz and the Southern AA Gun fires at him at extreme range. Fortunately for the Halberstadt the shell passes harmlessly beneath them. With Sam Urai downed Flash now banks after Baz’z Halberstadt and has Camel Crew following closely behind him. Camelbeagle appears to be chasing Zenlizard but needs to gain height quickly if he is going to catch him. Teaticket is now struggling to catch up to the action. Marechallannes and Stumptonian are now so close to safety that they can almost taste it.

I think I may have found the 'autopilot' button.

Turn 8 in

Bad luck John, more avoiding action was required ! Turn 8 in

"He is wise who watches"

8 in. Baz, you may be gathering some unwanted attention soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    8 in. Baz, you may be gathering some unwanted attention soon.
    Not far to go now

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I think I may have found the 'autopilot' button.

Turn 8 in
    Same here.

Two straights will do the job.

Autopilot please, Andy.

I am still waiting for two sets of orders for Turn 8 so have been unable to get it sorted today.
    Unfortunately as part of my new job, I am away on a course for a few days from tomorrow so will be unable to process Turn 8 until my return. This will probably be Wednesday or Thursday evening at the earliest.

Turn 8 in. . No worries AndyLeave it on the back burner until you get back. Enjoy your course

I'm back. Hurrah!

Turn 8.1

Marechallannes and Stumptonian have escaped. Camelbeagle has given up chasing Zenlizard and banked right, possibly to try and intercept Baz. Flash sideslips left to line up a run at the Halberstadt. Teaticket and Camel Crew both dive in pursuit of Baz. Baz meanwhile sideslips right to gain a bit of distance from his pursuit.

Turn 8.2

Zenlizard has now also escaped, just one eagle left. Baz Dives almost to treetop level and Flash follows him down. Camel Crew and Teaticket open the throttles in an attempt to catch up whilst Camelbeagle mysteriously climbs.

Turn 8.3

Flash stalls (a second consecutive steep manoeuvre) and his Spad creaks alarmingly but holds together. Baz just heads straight for home now; the time for guile is over. Teaticket and Camel Crew continue to speed after the Halberstadt but are unlikely to catch him. Camelbeagle appears to be deserting to the Germans.

Looks like Baz is away now - not sure I can survive another steep/steep ! Turn 9 in.

"He is wise who watches"

Hopefully home now, turn 9 in

Baz, why don't you play a stall or two, I have something I'd like to give you.

9 in.

Baz, why don't you play a stall or two, I have something I'd like to give you.

9 in.
    Chase my tail and you may get something you didn’t want, besides which you are too high, come and skim the treetops with me. Also, you couldn’t get the two down there you were chasing, what makes you think you can catch me? Best you just pack up and return empty-handed and explain to the CO what went wrong. I will be enjoying a beer in the mess as you think up your excuses.

….mind you first time bombing and I was a long way out, need to get that sorted and fly lower

Round 9 in. Come on Baz. Stay n play or has yer Mum called you in for tea? It's now or never because I think you'll escape at the end of this round

Come on, Baz, you can make it. There's a beer in the mess waiting for you!

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Round 9 in. Come on Baz. Stay n play or has yer Mum called you in for tea? It's now or never because I think you'll escape at the end of this round
    Even if I stayed another Turn you are way too high!!

Turn 9.1

Camelbeagle is unable to Immelmann in time and has disappeared over German lines. Camel Crew dives after the escaping Halberstadt. Flash and Teaticket both slip right in an attempt to gain a better position. Baz just continues to fly straight and level down amongst the treetops.

Turn 9.2

Teaticket dives down and exchanges fire with Baz’s observer at long range inflicting a single point of damage on the Halberstadt but getting two damage back for his trouble. The Spad starts to trail smoke. Flash has banked in behind Baz but is too high to intervene. Camel Crew looks set to follow his wingman over the German front line.

Turn 9.3

Baz escapes. Flash and Teaticket just weren’t quite fast enough to cut him off. Camel Crew is lost over the German rear areas.

Final score is Central Powers 19 pts – Entente 15 pts. It looks like a narrow German victory but only one of the primary targets was even bombed (and that partially), although one of the secondary targets was fairly comprehensively demolished. Losses were light with only one plane on each side shot down and a few pilots suffering navigational difficulties . The remaining primary and secondary targets were not even hit (I awarded the points to the Entente). Thank you to all who took part, performance data to follow.

Our Valiant Entente pilots;

TeaticketRTB – Damage Inflicted 1 (Baz 1) - Damage Received 4 (Baz 2 / Collision with Hedeby 2)

FlashRTB – 1 Kill - Damage Inflicted 20 (Sam Urai 16 / Baz 4) – Damage Received 11 (Baz 8 / Sam Urai 2 / 2 x Steep Manoeuvres 1)

Hedeby – C – Damage Inflicted 3 (Gangleader 3) – Damage Received 23 (Gangleader147 13 / Collision with Teaticket 10)

Sherlochnumber1MIA – Damage Inflicted 13 (Zenlizard 10 / Gangleader 3) – Damage Received 15 (Gangleader 9 / 2 x Steep Manoeuvres 5 / Baz 1)

CamelbeagleMIA – Damage Inflicted 7 (Gangleader 5 / Zenlizard 2) – Damage Received 9 (Sam Urai 4 / Zenlizard 2 / Baz 2 / Gangleader 1)

Camel CrewMIA – Damage Inflicted 0 – Damage Received 0

AA Guns – Fired 6 – Missed 2 – Damage Inflicted 0

The forum seems to have turned my photos sideways for some reason. ??? Please accept my apologies.

The Central Powers Bombardiers

Stumptonian RTB – Direct Hit on Secondary Target – Damage Inflicted 0 – Damage Received 0

MarechallannesRTB – Partial Hit on Primary Target – Damage Inflicted 0 – Damage Received 2 (2 x Steep Manoeuvres)

Sam Urai – SD – Direct Hit on Secondary Target – Damage Inflicted 6 (Camelbeagle 4 / Flash 2) – Damage Received 16 (Flash 16)

Gangleader147MIA – Did not Bomb – Damage Inflicted 23 (Hedeby 13 / Sherlochnumber1 9 / Camelbeagle 1) – Damage Received 11 (Camelbeagle 5 / Sherlochnumber1 3 / Hedeby 3)

ZenlizardRTB – Partial Hit on Secondary Target – Damage Inflicted 2 (Camelbeagle 2) – Damage Received 12 (Sherlochnumber1 10 / Camelbeagle 2)

BazRTB – Missed Primary Target – Damage Inflicted 13 (Flash 8 / Teaticket 2 / Camelbeagle 2 / Sherlochnumber1 1) – Damage Received 6 (Flash 4 / Teaticket 1 / Sherlochnumber1 1)

Great job on this campaign, Andy.
    Have some well-deserved REP.

Thanks for the game Andy. REP.

If no one else steps up I'll start a game on Wednesday.

Thanks Andy - little gutted over my navigation!

Another great game, I'm massively enjoying these. I hope they'll continue after in-person events resume in full; there's not a lot of stuff happing locally; although I may occasionally be able to get to the monthly Gritty Goblin games, they're only monthly, and even then, I'm only going to be occasionally there.

Andy certainly deserves rep for the efforts he's put into the series.

Teaticket, I'm certainly interested in continuing on Wednesday.

Gangleader: perhaps it's not so much navigation, as it is the cardinal sin of target fixation.

If no one else steps up I'll start a game on Wednesday.
    I will be out of town Friday through Sunday so will probably have to sit this one out, unfortunately.

Thanks Andy, grand effort Well done everybody, well played all round.
    Pleased I finally managed to get something done with that kin SPAD Sorry John that card draw resulted in you getting a brutal beating

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for that again Andy, initial tactics worked to fly through the entente scouts and then head back to bomb any missed targets. Will need to brush up on bombing again, and start at lower altitude. Happy that last few games have got back to the mess despite being last home and chased by everyone.
    Rep for Andy for running and devising the game.

Peter would be interested in new game

Losses didn’t seem light from where I was standing (falling), thanks Andy, good game.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thanks! Great game Andy! Wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Losses didn’t seem light from where I was standing (falling), thanks Andy, good game.
    Gangleader147 was doing a fairly good job of shooting you up before the collision but that power dive ..............

Thanks for the game Andy. Think the point of the game is to get close to the other planes - will have to try that next time

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I will be out of town Friday through Sunday so will probably have to sit this one out, unfortunately.
    I'll post the mission Wednesday asking for pilots to fill the roster but I'll be away over the weekend so won't start till the following Monday giving some time for cunning plans to be made...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. over Flanders - another Play by PM game - Finished
    By Sauerkraut in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 01-31-2021, 01:02
  2. Solo game play
    By Sgt. in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2020, 07:19
  3. BSG 33 campaign game confirmed for GAMMA CON 2019
    By Zoe Brain in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-03-2019, 03:42
  4. Play by email game
    By chequers in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-02-2019, 07:00
  5. As if I needed another game to play....
    By STICK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 15:18