Ares Games

Thread: OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 by gully_raker

Default OTT-BYM - Mission One -"Deny the Enemy" - 5th October 1916 by gully_raker

BACKGROUND
    Following the battle for Thiepval Ridge the Allies continued to attack the German lines on the Ancre Heights & had threatened the German strongpoint known as Schwaban from the North. The Germans were desperate to recapture the lost side of Schwaban & needed intelligence to determine any weak spots in the Allied front.
    Unfortunately for them the Allied numerical advantage in Aircraft had stopped any chance of aerial photography so the German High Command had to resort to deploying an Observation Balloon behind their lines to determine the situation & aid in Artillery observation. Due to the urgent nature of the situation no ground support has yet been able to deploy. Therefore the Eagles Jasta has been ordered to send two Scouts to protect the Balloon.
    Naturally the British want to destroy the Balloon at all costs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRF Thiepval Ridge.png 
Views:	537 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	302193

Name:	BRF Trenches Thiepval Ridge.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	302194

Name:	BRF German Balloon.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	302195

The Set Up

Two WoG mats, preferably one being the No Mans Land mat, joined on the long sides.
    The German Balloon is to be set up on the other mat behind the German Lines Half a ruler from the join & in the middle of the mat as per the photo below

Name:	BRF 1.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	302192

The Germans will deploy 2 aircraft, one in each corner of their mat, one ruler from the corners angled towards the balloon as per photos below.

Name:	BRF 3.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	302196

Name:	BRF 4.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	302197

The British will deploy 3 Aircraft 1 & 1/2 Rulers from the edge of the No Mans Land mat & 1/2 ruler apart as per photo below.

Name:	BRF 2.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	302198

One of the British Aircraft will be armed with Incendiary Ammunition & will use the standard rules for this as per the rule book. (balloons treat all smoke, rudder jammed, engine damage and any 5 damage card as resulting in fire).
    This Aircraft can only engage the Balloon unless it is fitted with a Lewis Gun & then must change drums (3 cards required) if it wants to shoot at a German Scout if it has destroyed the Balloon.

All Aircraft & the Balloon commence the game at Altitude 6 & the Balloon will commence to be lowed to the ground only after the first shots are fired at it. It will loose 1 altitude every two turns. ( Therefore it will take 12 turns to be lowered safely to the ground!)

The plane attacking the Balloon will continue to follow the balloon as it is winched to the ground.
    All other aircraft can either stay at their current altitude or dive or climb.

Things to remember: if Balloon explodes any aircraft within half ruler range on the same level, or, overlapping the base 1 altitude above or below take a single C deck damage card - Only the damage points, explosion or fire special damage are counted. Any other special damage is disregarded.

VICTORY POINTS

If Balloon Destroyed--20 points
    If Balloon winched to safety & NOT on Fire--10 points to Germans
    If Balloon winched to safety but with over half its Damage Points gone--10 points to British
    Any Scout shot down--10 points to victors side
    Any Scout FRTB--5 points to victors side

In case anyone does not have a Balloon model attached below is a Balloon Card.

Name:	BRF Balloon Card.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	302199

It is recommended that the following Aircraft are flown in this mission.

BRITISH

DH-2, Nieuport 17 or Spad VII (All B firing Aircraft)

GERMAN

Albatross D.I or D.II or Halberstadt D.III (All A firing Aircraft)

The Mission is written from the British point of view but the Eagles obviously will reverse the situation.

Please post any queries you may have.

Good Hunting Chaps.
    Last edited by flash; 06-06-2021 at 01:53. Reason: Additional info

I'll transcribe this over tomorrow Baz - just heading out the door to meet my granddaughter for the first time !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Looks good.

I’ve hurriedly ordered a balloon (I have got the old Burning Drachens set so I have a card)!

Edward

Looking like a good start Baz. Not fond of you Bulldogs trying to poke us Eagles in the eye though.

The Mission is written from the British point of view but the Eagles obviously will reverse the situation

Sorry to be a little naive, so does this mean set up as a British balloon with two defenders and three german attackers, or play as stated above but Germans need to defend the balloon?

I imagine its the former Baz. Set up as British balloon with two defenders and three German attackers. Not sure what the permitted firing would be though. If its a straight swap, then the Brits fire As, if they have any, and the Germans Bs but you'll need to ask Baz that one Baz It may just be a matter of using whatever was available at the time.

Looks good to me Aussie Baz Thanks

If you want the two defenders to have A guns, doesn’t that preclude the Halberstadt being an option?

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    I imagine its the former Baz. Set up as British balloon with two defenders and three German attackers. Not sure what the permitted firing would be though. If its a straight swap, then the Brits fire As, if they have any, and the Germans Bs but you'll need to ask Baz that one Baz It may just be a matter of using whatever was available at the time.

Ok thanks Mike

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    The Mission is written from the British point of view but the Eagles obviously will reverse the situation

Sorry to be a little naive, so does this mean set up as a British balloon with two defenders and three german attackers, or play as stated above but Germans need to defend the balloon?
    Actually you could play it either way Baz but most German players will reverse the set up & 3 attack a British Balloon which will be defended by 2 British Scouts.

Exclamation

No the Brits will only have B firing guns & the Germans A firing MG's as was the Historical fact.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    If you want the two defenders to have A guns, doesn’t that preclude the Halberstadt being an option?

Edward
    Hi Edward. The Halberstadt D.III which was then available had twin MG'd hence A firing.
    If you only have D.II's just proxy as D.III's & use the A damage Deck.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'll transcribe this over tomorrow Baz - just heading out the door to meet my granddaughter for the first time !
    Thanks Dave! That will be a happy event.
    Please wet the baby's head on my behalf!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Edward. The Halberstadt D.III which was then available had twin MG'd hence A firing.
    If you only have D.II's just proxy as D.III's & use the A damage Deck.
    Official stats for the D.III say B firing....as does Wings of Linen.

https://linen.miraheze.org/wiki/Halberstadt_D.III

There is a WOW card for am A firing Halberstadt D.III (jasta 2 Boelke) Ltn Otto Bernert and there has been discussion previously that some were armed with a second MG though I don't know the references for that info.
    Last edited by flash; 05-30-2021 at 00:29.

I’m just going to use my two Albatros D.II (maybe swapping one out for a D.I if I get round to painting it). My Halberstadts will be coming from Shapeways - I’m also toying with getting a Fokker D.I or II for entertainment. An additional Albatros D.I and D.II may also make an appearance.

I’m thinking of using 2 x N.16 and an N.17 for the attack (I’ve got enough N.17s but October feels a bit early for all N.17s). If I was feeling masochistic I’d use an elderly Morane Bullet - but I don’t think I am that demented!

Edward

Actually you could play it either way Baz but most German players will reverse the set up & 3 attack a British Balloon which will be defended by 2 British Scouts.
    Thanks Baz, all ok now

I’m just going to use my two Albatros D.II (maybe swapping one out for a D.I if I get round to painting it). My Halberstadts will be coming from Shapeways - I’m also toying with getting a Fokker D.I or II for entertainment. An additional Albatros D.I and D.II may also make an appearance.

I’m thinking of using 2 x N.16 and an N.17 for the attack (I’ve got enough N.17s but October feels a bit early for all N.17s). If I was feeling masochistic I’d use an elderly Morane Bullet - but I don’t think I am that demented!

Edward

Edward
    Not much to choose between the Morane and N.16, both are frail. N.17's have been available since Jul17 and a little more robust but not much better !
    Good luck all the Bulldogs we're going to need it.

There is a WOW card for am A firing Halberstadt D.III (jasta 2 Boelke) Ltn Otto Bernert and there has been discussion previously that some were armed with a second MG though I don't know the references for that info.
    Forgot to check the WoW cards. Strangely that info isn’t in the stats committee file. Would the A-firing Halb use the G deck as per the WoW card or the revised P deck?

Good luck all the Bulldogs we're going to need it.
    Thanks Dave

And here's to your first meeting with your grandaughter. Hope it was a blast

We still haven't met grandchild number five. Have met Jack a lot on Skype but that just isn't the same. Roll on a lifting of the travel ban to Canada.

OOps, sorry. Wrong thread for this

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Forgot to check the WoW cards. Strangely that info isn’t in the stats committee file. Would the A-firing Halb use the G deck as per the WoW card or the revised P deck?
    The card is G deck 'cos that what the Halb D.III's were in the day, so, I would think it would now be P deck. I'd penalise rate of climb and/or max alt if that's what is wanted.

Smile

Wondering how to transcribe this for the Central Powers:
    One of the British Aircraft will be armed with Incendiary Ammunition & will use the standard rules for this as per the rule book.
    This Aircraft can only engage the Balloon unless it is fitted with a Lewis Gun & then must change drums (3 cards required) if it wants to shoot at a German Scout if it has destroyed the Balloon.
    Could the Albatros D.II have one feed for Incendiary and one for regular?
    (and fire each as a 'B' ?)

Or will a successful Adler 'balloon buster' be forced to head for home once the drachen is destroyed?

Hi Pete. I will ask Dave to adjudicate on that.
    However in the Spirit of the Game I think it should have both guns loaded with Incendiary Ammo.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 05-30-2021 at 19:54.

The card is G deck 'cos that what the Halb D.III's were in the day, so, I would think it would now be P deck. I'd penalise rate of climb and/or max alt if that's what is wanted.
    Nothing is really wanted on my part. I'm just curious for reference as I don't really know whether or not the extra MG affected performance - and, if so, enough to affect game parameters. Others surely know more about than me.

Crews & planes picked, table set, might get a chance to play this tomorrow. Looking forward to this & surprising the Eagles !

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Or will a successful Adler 'balloon buster' be forced to head for home once the drachen is destroyed?
    Hi

I was thinking of using a Fokker D.1 with single spandau (B damage) loaded with incendiary and then using the 3 turn change to put a normal cartridge belt in for plane busting. Does that seem reasonable?

Hi

I was thinking of using a Fokker D.1 with single spandau (B damage) loaded with incendiary and then using the 3 turn change to put a normal cartridge belt in for plane busting. Does that seem reasonable?
    I don't have a Fokker D.1 so will substitute a Halberstadt

Exclamation

Hi Pete.
    See my edit on your post No. 22.
    I have PM'd Dave for his opinion.

Hi Pete. I will ask Dave to adjudicate on that.
    However in the Spirit of the Game I think it should have both guns loaded with Incendiary Ammo.
    First question - did the Germans have incendiary ammo at this time ?
    If they did then loading one gun with incendiary & one with ball/tracer mix is reasonable as both are separate gun systems, however, that should only be the one nominated 'balloon buster' machine not all three.
    Simply fires A guns at Balloon (rather than 2 B's); B guns at aircraft.
    Nominate which gun is the hot load, port/starboard - red/green jams A deck applied to appropriate gun.

..I was thinking of using a Fokker D.1 with single spandau (B damage) loaded with incendiary and then using the 3 turn change to put a normal cartridge belt in for plane busting. Does that seem reasonable?
    No, never heard of changing gun belts in flight. (not sure it's even possible). That will have to be a dedicated balloon buster Barrie.
    Last edited by flash; 05-31-2021 at 01:14.

First question - did the Germans have incendiary ammo at this time ?
    If they did then loading one gun with incendiary & one with ball/tracer mix is reasonable as both are separate gun systems, however, that should only be the one nominated 'balloon buster' machine not all three.
    Simply fires A guns at Balloon (rather than 2 B's); B guns at aircraft.
    Nominate which gun is the hot load, port/starboard - red/green jams A deck applied to appropriate gun.

No, never heard of changing gun belts in flight. (not sure it's even possible). That will have to be a dedicated balloon buster Barrie.
    This is what I can find on this:

. The Germans used an armor-piercing round with a steel core usually referred to as a K-cartridge (K=kern, "core") or s.m.k (spitz mit kern "pointed with core"). It was often used in balloon attacks. Lt. Friedrich Roth, a balloon buster (20 balloon and 8 aircraft victories) with Jasta 16b stated that he always loaded each of his guns with 460 rounds of K and phosphorous bullets -- the left gun was loaded in a sequence of 4 phosphorous and 1 K while the right gun's load was 4 K and 1 phosphorous. NB Roth was flying in 1918

In "Rampant Lion" by Darren Whiteside, page 41, is told how von Schleich prepared for an attack on a balloon by loading one machinegun with normal ammo and the second one with Ph Munition. This happened in May of 1917.

The Spandau Guns (windsock 10) shows that incendiary bullets (LS= Leuchtspur) were not used until Feb 17, so it would appear that normal AP (armour piercing) shells were used in 1916?

http://http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30091&page=3

So perhaps AP bullets are the way to go for the Germans in this scenario?

No, never heard of changing gun belts in flight. (not sure it's even possible).
    No, I can’t find anything to support this for the German side on Spandau’s so they only had the ammunition that was loaded at take-off.

Thanks for the research Barrie
    With the Booms, fire cards and 5 cards in a usual double A deck there should be enough to light up a balloon for the Eagles without incendiaries anyway, so, unless there is contrary data coming to light they'll go as standard load.
    Will be harder if using B deckers but, again, not impossible.

Thanks for the research Barrie
    With the Booms, fire cards and 5 cards in a usual double A deck there should be enough to light up a balloon for the Eagles without incendiaries anyway, so, unless there is contrary data coming to light they'll go as standard load.
    Will be harder if using B deckers but, again, not impossible.
    Without incendiary ammo the only cards that affect balloons are fire and Boom. (The 5 is only mentioned for incendiaries.)
    B Deck 7%
    A Deck 6%

With incendiary
    B Deck 23%
    A Deck 31%

Without incendiaries, the B Deckers actually have a better chance than the As.

Not really a fair fight - perhaps the Bulldogs one plane with incendiaries should be limited to one Lewis pan of said incendiaries to give we Adler a chance?
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-31-2021 at 08:54.

Not really a fair fight - perhaps the Bulldogs one plane with incendiaries should be limited to one Lewis pan of said incendiaries to give we Adler a chance?
    Nope, it's war, not fair, you'll just have to deal with it.

Nope, it's war, not fair, you'll just have to deal with it.

Guess I will just keep that in mind when designing my scenario.

Actually, I will just fly this one as the German defenders*.

* and use a die roll for the first two Bulldogs to fire to determine which aircraft is loaded with incendiary so I can't unfairly "pick him out from a crowd"
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-31-2021 at 13:16. Reason: Qualifier added

HHHmmmmm.... Tell me if I am insane or just mean.

I could go with 3 bulldogs attacking. 1 incendiary, 2 regular ammo. Versus 2 Eagles. I predict a blown up balloon, three shot down bulldogs, and one shot down Eagle.

Or the second choice. Two Eagle scouts with regular ammo, an Albatros CIII with incendiary attacking the balloon. Vs 4 Bulldogs. I predict the result to be a blown up balloon, 4 shot down bulldogs, and two shot down eagles.

Not looking great for either side!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    HHHmmmmm.... Tell me if I am insane or just mean.

I could go with 3 bulldogs attacking. 1 incendiary, 2 regular ammo. Versus 2 Eagles. I predict a blown up balloon, three shot down bulldogs, and one shot down Eagle.

Or the second choice. Two Eagle scouts with regular ammo, an Albatros CIII with incendiary attacking the balloon. Vs 4 Bulldogs. I predict the result to be a blown up balloon, 4 shot down bulldogs, and two shot down eagles.

Not looking great for either side!
    Not sure I follow having a C.III with incendiaries in this, as well as adding an additional Bulldog.

If the Germans did not have incendiary ammo, why bring in a two-seater?

The idea is to play scenarios as written, with minor changes due to availability of some planes in player collections.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-31-2021 at 16:39. Reason: Added text

Not sure I follow having a C.III with incendiaries in this, as well as adding an additional Bulldog.

If the Germans did not have incendiary ammo, why bring in a two-seater?

The idea is to play scenarios as written, with minor changes due to availability of some planes in player collections.
    Pete, I understand that. I feel that flipping it around makes it an unbalanced game. I'll admit that adding an Albatros doesn't help. That does go into the insane category. Usually I check the point values on these crazy things.

It looks fun and balanced from the British point of view. When you flip it into the German Point of view, I think the balance needs to be re-visited. It may be my interpretation of flipping it around.

Do we use still use 2 German Scouts on the attack vs. 3 Bulldog defenders???? Or is it 3 German Scouts on the attack vs 2 Bulldog defenders????

Guess I will just keep that in mind when designing my scenario.

Actually, I will just fly this one as the German defenders*.

* and use a die roll for the first two Bulldogs to fire to determine which aircraft is loaded with incendiary so I can't unfairly "pick him out from a crowd"

HHmmm..... I think you have the right idea here. Keep the Germans on the defense. Randomize the incendiary so you to not meta game.

Pete, I understand that. I feel that flipping it around makes it an unbalanced game. I'll admit that adding an Albatros doesn't help. That does go into the insane category. Usually I check the point values on these crazy things.

It looks fun and balanced from the British.
    Do we use still use 2 German Scouts on the attack vs. 3 Bulldog defenders???? Or is it 3 German Scouts on the attack vs 2 Bulldog defenders????
    If the Germans attack they would have 3 vs 2, same as the Brits.

If the Germans attack they would have 3 vs 2, same as the Brits.
    Even with SPAD VII planes I think it would be a bad day for the Bulldogs. I predict 1 busted balloon and two shot down Bulldogs!! I may be completely wrong with this.

Smile

It looks fun and balanced from the British point of view. When you flip it into the German Point of view, I think the balance needs to be re-visited. It may be my interpretation of flipping it around.

Hi Dan.
    If you fly this one as a German you will have 3 German Scouts, 1 designated as the Balloon Buster Vs a British Balloon & 2 British Scouts as Defenders.

Remember the Germans have the advantage of having A damage Aircraft whilst the Brits still have only B firing planes & I said it was written from a British perspective.
    I think the Eagles can defend well with 2 x A firing scouts with 1 of the British aircraft restricted to attacking the Balloon.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 05-31-2021 at 20:43.

Barry - this looks interesting and it means I get to use my Balloons again, Whoo hoo. I read your scenario yesterday but didn't have time to read the comments, just gone through them now, it looks like you disturbed a hornets nest.

Well done for giving the British incendiary bullets and boo hoo to the nasty Germans who can't use them, I think that's very even handed. I don't know why anyone would complain.

Unless you fly for the Germans that is.

Anyway I've cleared my table ready for the game to commence.

BEFORE

Name:	P1460531a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	302291

NOW

Name:	P1460887a.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	302292

Let the games commence.

And cheers to all my fellow pilots, whichever side of the lines you fly from.

Hi Dan.
    If you fly this one as a German you will have 3 German Scouts, 1 designated as the Balloon Buster Vs a British Balloon & 2 British Scouts as Defenders.

Remember the Germans have the advantage of having A damage Aircraft whilst the Brits still have only B firing planes & I said it was written from a British perspective.
    I think the Eagles can defend well with 2 x A firing scouts with 1 of the British aircraft restricted to attacking the Balloon.
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. This thread has gotten some attention from all the questions.

Should we really care about balance? The damage cards will be the deciding factor whether the game is perfectly balanced or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Should we really care about balance? The damage cards will be the deciding factor whether the game is perfectly balanced or not.
    Good point! One boom can make the game change dramatically!

Well I'm all set up as you can see

Name:	Lego 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	302345

They are the Red Sparrows and therefore all entitled to carry Incendiary ammunition

Blame my grandsons - it was their idea

Thumbs up

Well I'm all set up as you can see

Name:	Lego 1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	302345

They are the Red Sparrows and therefore all entitled to carry Incendiary ammunition

Blame my grandsons - it was their idea

Something I never noticed is that when we've had balloons in scenarios it takes 2 turns for the balloon to descend one level. That's fine. The rules say typically 12 turns to descend for the basic game.

However, for the advanced game, it takes three turns for the balloon to descend one level - i.e., it has two climb counters and loses one climb counter per turn, but if there's no climb counter then it descends to the next level (and gets two climb counters as well). Given the basic game has a maximum level of 4, the 12 turns to descend is consistent with 3 turns for one level.

I was wondering if (1) was I reading that correctly and (2) was there a discussion somewhere that 2 turns per level would be better....or that's just the way we do it, which is just fine....just curious.

1. Yes. You were reading that correctly, we used it in the PbPM game a while back.
    2. There has been no discussion I'm aware of, we're not tied to 4 levels of course, so it's the call of the scenario writer I guess.
    I was using three pegs on my balloon (just to make it look right-ish) and was meant to pull one out every 4 turns but forgot in the heat of battle. As it happens it would've made little difference to the game with my altitude rules.

I have added to the brief the penalties if caught in the blast of an exploding balloon ('cos I forgot):
    ie if Balloon explodes any aircraft within half ruler range on same level, or, overlapping base 1 altitude above or below take a single C deck damage card - Only the damage points, explosion or fire special damage are counted. Any other special damage is disregarded.
    Last edited by flash; 06-06-2021 at 01:55.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2021, 13:20
  2. AAR OTT CYM Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap" - 19th August 1916 - by Mikeemagnus
    By mikeemagnus in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2021, 05:57
  3. Gully Raker.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-05-2019, 06:07
  4. AAR Early doors Mission 18----Intercept the Gothas---gully-raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 14:04
  5. Replies: 22