Ares Games

Thread: Greetings to all fellow Tripods and Triplanes players out there!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Default Greetings to all fellow Tripods and Triplanes players out there!

I'm extremely new to this rather wonderful game I happened across... I say happened across as I actually have been watching 'Wings of...' ever since it first came out as 'Wings of War'. Alas, I never took the plunge in purchasing this (as it turns out) rather splendid game - but as an avid fan of 'The War of the Worlds' it made sense for me to finally purchase this particular (and rather peculiar but also perfect) off-shoot of 'Wings of Glory'! Now that restrictions have relaxed again here in the UK I'm (re)starting up my gaming group again and introducing them to this magnificent game of Earth's Early 20th Century Flying Machines vs the Mighty Metal Warlords of Mars! I currently have the Locust and Scarab Tripods with the Squid on the way and I'm slowly building up the Earthling forces - Nieuport 17, Sopwith Camel & Snipe, and the Macchi M.5 so I'm hoping this will be quite the campaign. Plans are to have a Cuttlefish in due time too, to complete the set of course!

And with that comes my story-driven campaign which I'll be posting somewhere on here as we kick this off and bring you updates as the campaign progresses... It's borrowing heavily from the source material and (of course it had to) Jeff Wayne's Musical Version so watch this space in the coming weeks! I can't pinpoint an exact start date as I'm waiting for a few of my group members to get back to me but I'm hopeful it will be in the next two weeks or so! (Though forgive me if this takes a little longer). I have a prologue all setup which I'll reveal... 'coming soon (trademark)'

Until then why not join me in a refreshing cup of your favourite beverage whilst we wait?

Tally-Ho all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t&t.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	302181
    Last edited by SethLewis; 05-29-2021 at 00:59.

Welcome aboard, looking forward to hearing more about the campaign!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

I'll be using this as a quick way to upload a few photo's of the upcoming Campaign Blog with a few development notes from within the game and without... It'll also give you, dear reader, a sneak-peek into the up and coming blog entries.

Hold on to your brews folks, the invasion is about to begin!... Luminous green gas has been detected erupting from Mars...

Name:	TTMartians(1).jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	302271

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one!

...But still they come!

Been a while since mine hit the table but I think the chaps want to revisit it one evening soon. Will have to remind myself how it plays again before we do.
    Last edited by flash; 06-04-2021 at 01:43.

"He is wise who watches"

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Default What's happening on Mars?

Name:	Newspaper Article.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	302415

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    ...But still they come!

Been a while since mine hit the table but I think the chaps want to revisit it one evening soon. Will have to remind myself how it plays again before we do.
    Good to hear! Keep me informed as to how you all got on... If you don't mind that is!

I expect high lights will appear in the UK Wings - Back In The Room thread, Seth. We've found in the past that we about need 3 planes per Martian so need the bigger crowd of the game night for a half decent game.

"He is wise who watches"

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by driph View Post
    Welcome aboard, looking forward to hearing more about the campaign!
    All being well the first mission will be released sometime early next week, along with an AAR from me shortly thereafter. This will be a quick/refresher/newbie mission, much in the same vein as the first introductory scenario found in the T&T rulebook but they'll still be plenty of shooting - should you choose that path

I'll be setting up a specific AAR sub-thread here so you can post your own AAR's from the Campaign scenario's... Which may very well have an influence as to what happens next! This is completely optional of course, I'm not going to fret if it's only me posting AAR's.

Details coming next week! - Hopefully, all being well of course! One cannot 100% guarantee this will happen!

Fly safe out there and put the kettle on!

Chocks Away! Tally-ho! I'll be back before the kettle has boiled!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I expect high lights will appear in the UK Wings - Back In The Room thread, Seth. We've found in the past that we about need 3 planes per Martian so need the bigger crowd of the game night for a half decent game.
    Perfect! I will be putting up a sub-thread here you can post your Campaign results in too! Completely optional of course... Should have this ready next week!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Story Driven Campaign: Tripods, Triplanes and The War of the Worlds

In this story-driven Campaign players play out a set of scenarios depicting the events that happened in 'The War of the Worlds' but with a ‘What if…?’ twist in the tale.

Name:	Story Campaign Intro Photo.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	302674

Players are split into 3 categories (Forces) each vying for supremacy over the Earth.

The Earthling forces are split into Entente and Central Powers, essentially the classic game of Wings of War, their goal: To be the saviours of Humankind and Planet Earth!

The Martian Player’s goal is to colonise and xenoform the Earth and exploit the Earthlings.

Each victory and loss will have an impact on what happens next in the Story Campaign - even this narrator is not entirely sure what will happen!

Will the Earthlings stay at logger-heads?
    Will they co-operate to take down the Martian invasion?
    Or find a way to fight the Martians on an even footing, Tripod vs Tripod?
    Or perhaps one side can make an uneasy, tenuous and temporary ‘pact with the devil’?

The story is in our hands!

Record each win/loss once for each scenario played in your gaming group ready for the next scenario in the story.

Optional: Record each win on the Forum: T&T: Campaign Discussions: Story Driven Campaign: Tripods, Triplanes and The War of the Worlds - Results Thread and you could very well influence what happens next in the story!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Seth
    Sorties Flown

Scenario 1: Avalanches above.... Business continues below.

Players: 2+ (3 recommended).

Play area: Recommended 90cm x 90cm for 1 vs 1 vs 1. Depending on number of players you may wish to increase the play area size.

Name:	01-02a.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	302696

One half of the play area is designated the Martian side.

One half of the play area is designated the Earthling side.

Each Earthling player sets up their Planes anywhere on their side of the play area facing the Martian half.

The Martian Cylinder Crater (or suitable circular marker of your choice) is placed anywhere on the Martian half of the play area - recommended to setup centrally within Martian half.

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	302697

Martian Player: See Martian Cylinder Heat-ray. Place SIX recovery tokens on your Console. Once all six are discarded (as per normal recovery rules), place a Tripod of your choice, facing any direction, on top of the Martian Cylinder Crater (or suitable circular marker). The Tripod may then activate as normal – it does not tumble due to being on top of this crater.

Name:	05.jpg 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	302700

Earthling Players: 1 Entente Player vs 1 Central Powers Player.
    You can add as many Earthling Players as you like, just keep forces as even as possible.
    You are free to pick any planes you like. NO ace rules, special abilities or special weapons are in play. You are free to shoot at any enemy forces, if you wish, be they Earthling or Martian.

*You may wish to add more Cylinders and Tripods in larger battles, a ratio of 2/3 planes per Cylinder/Tripod is a good starting point.*

Name:	04.jpg 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	302698

Optional Challenge: Earthling Players start the game with THREE Smoke Tokens on their Consoles. This represents the battle already taking place between the Central Powers and the Entente forces.

Earthling Winning Condition: The first Entente or Central Powers Plane to take a photo of the Martian Cylinder or Tripod and exit the play area on the Earthling side is the winner.

Martian Winning Condition: If ALL planes are shot down (regardless of how), the Martians have won! - even if the Tripod/s is/are destroyed!

In the event of a tie between the Earthling players, both Earthling sides count as Victory.

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	302699

Martian Cylinder Heat-Ray:
    Once a Plane is within altitude 1 or 2 and within range 2 of the Martian's Medium Projector ruler the Cylinder Heat-ray will activate and fire on that Plane within range. If two or more Planes are in range, the Martian Player chooses which Plane to shoot at.

The Martian Cylinder Heat-Ray uses Damage Deck Z. Deal 1 Damage Card at range 2 and 2 Damage Cards at range 1. Once fired, it takes two recovery tokens before it can fire again.

The Cylinder Heat-Ray has an all-round fire arc with no limitations to line of sight, or angle of attack. If it's in range and altitude, it hits. Measure from the outer circumference of the Martian Cylinder Crater Marker (or any circular marker of your choice).

The Martian Cylinder is completely immune to any gunfire.

Earthlings taking a Photograph:
    The Earthling Players must be at altitude 1 or 2.
    Must perform a stall manoeuvre within Range 2 of the Martian Cylinder/Tripod.
    Photographs may not be taken in or through Black Smoke.
    The Earthling player is advised to exit quickly!

You can always play this scenario as Earthlings only by using the Automated Tripod Rules and Resources. Or play just as the Martians using the various Solo Rules, Resources and Apps found on this forum!

And that's it! I hope you enjoy this scenario… By all means post your AAR's. You could very well affect what happens in the next scenario!

Hi Seth!

I just bought T&T and some WoG Models plus an extra Tripod.

Thanks for the nice scenario! Cannot wait to try it!

Will let you know how the Italian front faces this threat!

Ciao!
    Francesco

Similar Missions

1. T&T&T: Triplanes & Tripods & Tanks
    By Biggles downunder in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-28-2019, 23:48
  2. The Apostles of Tripods & Triplanes
    By NewFlyBoy in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2019, 07:32
  3. The BBC goes 'Tripods and Triplanes' !!!!!
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2018, 07:54
  4. Tripods and Triplanes BGG contest!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-14-2017, 20:06
  5. A New Expansion? - Tripods and Triplanes
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-14-2016, 18:54