Ares Games

Thread: King Kong Klimbs Again

Default King Kong Klimbs Again

Kong has taken up residence in Manhatten and 6 lil Fokkers are on their way to settle a score with him!

Please forgive my Panda stand-in After some testing of a few games I decided my Mezco Kong was too big for what I was after, so am waiting on a Nozlur Giant Ape to arrive.

I also reworked the Kong rules. They are very similar to the original but I wanted to simplify Kong's movement and make the Boom cards a little more unique. I've done a few games and these seem to be good so far. I've been doing collisions as peg-on-base and both players draw a C damage. The rules are in the Files section in the moderator queue but also here:

KING KONG Rules
    Wings of War/Glory

King Kong’s MOVEMENT
    King Kong stands in one of the six building sections but moves around the top of his building. Planes that overlap the building section where Kong is standing may not attack him. During each movement phase, roll a 6-sided die.
    1 - 5: Kong moves clockwise that number of building sections.
    6: Kong does not move.
    King Kong’s ATTACK
    Short-Range: The Great Ape may attack any ONE plane within a short-range ruler distance of his building-top section, dealing one “C” damage card each time he attacks. If multiple planes are within his range of attack, he chooses one plane to attack -- he may not attack all planes within range in a single phase.
    Smash & Toss: If a plane overlaps the building-top section (plane peg on section) where Kong is standing, or the building-top section to his left or right, Kong may choose to attack this plane instead of one “at range.”
    • He grabs the plane and inflicts one “C” card damage.
    • He also throws it in a random direction. Roll a D6.
    * 1 - 4: counting clockwise from Kong, the plane is flung outward from the center of the base of that building-top section, moving one straight card away.
    * 5 - 6: Kong smashes the plane into the building inflicting 3 “A” damage cards then throws it. The plane moves one straight card away from the building from its overlapping location.
    • If a thrown or moving plane collides with another plane (peg on base), they take damage according to collision rules for the scenario -- both planes draw a “C” damage card.
    • The flung plane uses its planned movement cards on subsequent phases as usual – being savagely thrown through the air by the 8th Wonder of the World does not alter planned moves, they are the pilot’s attempts to regain control of the aircraft.

King Kong’s DAMAGE
    The Great Ape begins the game with 35 damage points. When he is fired upon by attacking planes, he takes special damages in the following manner:
    Explosion: Roll a D6. Kong loses that number of damage points.
    Engine and Pilot Wound: Kong is stunned until the end of the turn (any remaining phases). He does not move or attack.
    Gun jam: Kong is not able to attack until the next turn (he cannot attack for any remaining phases of the current turn). The gun jam card does not prevent him from moving during the movement phases.
    Rudder jam: Kong is unable to attack a plane in the direction of the jam until the next turn (any remaining phases of the current turn). The rudder jam card does not prevent him from moving during the movement phases
    Smoke and Fire: these special damages have no effect beyond whatever point value damage they cause.
    Kong Chest Pound: Once per turn, the Great Ape may choose to defy his attackers and furiously pound his chest, displaying his utter contempt for his foes. He does this instead of attacking a plane or when no plane is within his attack range. This is a rallying move for the beast, allowing him to recover 1 to 3 damage points. Roll a D6:
    1 - 3 = recover 1 damage point
    4 - 5 = recover 2 damage points
    6 = recover 3 damage points

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0512211449.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	142.4 KB 
ID:	301466
    Kong management card (mailing label on a balloon card). Also in Files moderator queue. I use three D12 dice to track his hit points.

Name:	Copy of 0512211054.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	301467
    Starting positions

Name:	Copy of 0512211104.jpg 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	301468
    Turn 1.2 Lothar fires from long range but it seems to have no effect on the beast.

Name:	Copy of 0512211118.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	301469
    Turn 1.3 Lothar whiffs again while Baumer riddles Kong for 3 but jams his guns.
    Kong lashes out at Baumer doing 6 damage and wounding him.

Name:	Copy of 0512211132.jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	301470
    Turn 2.1 MvR delivers 3 damage, Kirschstein copies him while Rahn pops Kong for 1 and rudder jam.
    Baumer has narrowly avoided the Smash & Toss option but gets hit for 1 damage.

Name:	Copy of 0512211141.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	301471
    Turn 2.2 Kirschstein delivers a Boom card (2 damage rolled) while Kempf adds 2 more but jams his guns.
    Kong takes a swipe at Kempf and misses. Kong at 21HP.

Name:	Copy of 0512211149.jpg 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	301472
    Turn 2.3 Both of the over-eager pilots are overlapping Kong's building section and cannot shoot.
    Kong attacks Kirschstein's plane but misses.

Name:	Copy of 0512211151.jpg 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	301473
    Kong then attempts to smash it into the building but fails. He hurls the helpless plane from the building (section 2 from Kong).

Name:	Copy of 0512211202.jpg 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	301474
    Turn 3.1 The von Richtofen brothers get in on the action but Manfred misses wildly while Lothar delivers 3 damage and a Boom card (1 rolled) for total 4 damage.
    Kong howls and attacks Lucky Lothar, who specializes in eating donuts. Kong at 17HP.

Name:	Copy of 0512211211.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	301475
    Turn 3.2 Baumer hits for 2 but once again jams his guns. Manfred wonders if his ground crew properly sighted in his MG. Kirschstein fires from out of range like a n00b.
    Kong attempts to ruin Lothar's day again but Lucky Lothar evades.

Name:	Copy of 0512211220.jpg 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	301476
    Turn 3.3. Manfred stalls directly over his brother. Both players draw a C damage. Once again Lothar isn't worried. Manfred hears his engine falter badly and takes 6 damage.

Name:	Copy of 0512211226a.jpg 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	301477
    Manfred fires and curses his bad luck but his second burst strikes home, doing 6 damage (Boom card, rolled 6), while Kirschstein adds 5 more.
    Poor Baumer, still with jammed guns has slipped onto Kong's section of the building. Kong attempts a Smash & Toss which proves unnecessary as Baumer's plane explodes in fireball with the first C damage.
    Kong at 4HP

Name:	Copy of 0512211231.jpg 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	301478

Name:	Copy of 0512211241.jpg 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	301479
    Turn 4.1 Kempf and Rahn each add 1 point of damage to Kong who pounds his chest and negates one point of damage.
    Kong at 3HP

Name:	Copy of 0512211247.jpg 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	301480
    Turn 4.2 Rahn brings Kong's city life to an end while Kong retaliates with 6 damage and nasty gash to Rahn's head.
    (Kong must decide to Chest Pound or Attack before drawing cards to resolve Firing -- I went for the attack since Kong needed to destroy another plane to have a fighting chance).

Name:	Copy of 0512211248.jpg 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	301481

This may seem short and a one-sided victory for the Germans but I played the exact same scenario yesterday and it went 12 turns with Kong eeking out a victory at the end. He was at 3HP, got hit for 4 damage, but got to Chest Pound to recover 2 of those so back to 1HP. Then he got to Chest Pound twice more as planes maneuvered then delivered carnage to the remaining two undamaged Dr.1s taking them out.

Last edited by malachi; 06-25-2021 at 13:23. Reason: updated and slightly edited rules

Wow! The ultimate Kong game there mate. Loved it. Thanks for posting.

Rousing action from the Rooftops!

Nice to see my former Kirschstein in on the action.

REP deflected when Kung Fu Kahng swatted at him.

Nice to see another Kong game on the table. He must be flavour of the month.

I like your reworked rules - they seem to cover all the ambiguities we discovered last Tuesday night in our Kong punch up!

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Wow! The ultimate Kong game there mate. Loved it. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks, Gary. It's a fun time but if you're rooting for Kong can be frustrating lol. He's like a baseball home-run hitter always swinging for the fences and striking out a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Rousing action from the Rooftops!

Nice to see my former Kirschstein in on the action.

REP deflected when Kung Fu Kahng swatted at him.
    He's been doing great once he got a chance to get to the table

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Nice to see another Kong game on the table. He must be flavour of the month.

I like your reworked rules - they seem to cover all the ambiguities we discovered last Tuesday night in our Kong punch up!
    Good to hear, Wayne. I added the part about no shooting if overlapping Kong's building section, but that seems consistent with rules for planes.

I also tried 4 Camels and 2 Brisfits vs Kong but they were pretty tough. Hope to try some others

kong seems to have gotten something of a facelift lol

Similar Missions

1. Kong is still King
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-10-2021, 01:10
  2. Other King Kong
    By gak0418 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2021, 12:46
  3. 6” King Kong or 12” King Kong
    By Sgt. in forum Hobby Room