Ares Games

Thread: Collectors, do you buy the reprints?

Default Collectors, do you buy the reprints?

I am finish up my collection. I just need a few more.
    WGF110A Aviatik D.I (Linke-Crawford)
    WGF112B Siemens-Schuckert D.III (Veltjens)
    WGF113A SPAD S. VII (Guynemer)
    WGF201C Bristol F.2B Fighter (Headlom/Beaton)

However, I don’t have any of the Ares reprints of the Nexus versions. I’m considering picking up the Ares version of Barker’s Snipe. I like the colors better.

If you are a collector, do you have reprints or just one version? Which version do you prefer?

I try to get at least one of each including the reprints. I still am short a couple of the reprint Rumplers but plan on getting them.

The older Nexus and early ARES are the best for quality in my opinion. A lot of the new ARES have badly placed decals and glued on parts are sometimes off a bit.

The new ARES reprints are adding in ace skill cards so that is an enticement to get the new ones.

I get one of each. This darn completion addiction!

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    lol Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a Wingsaholic.

I'm now 9 rare planes short of the grand slam thanks to many of you enablers but working on the goal. I get the reprints and try to note in my inventory if Nexus vs Ares if they are similar. But if they're extremely close in scheme I may repaint some <gasp>!

I get two of each (one for play, one for Collection), and that goes for the reprints, too.

The root from which my mighty problem has sprouted...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Like others I get at least one of each.
    I think the only only ones I am missing are these 3 from the Ares WGS Starter set:
    Curtis P40-F Giscion WGS001A
    Yakolev Yak-1 Durand WGS001B
    Reggiane Re.2001 GV Vaccari WGS001D

I had a chance to pick it up a few years ago but was not impressed with the aircraft mix at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    lol Hi, my name is Chris and I'm a Wingsaholic.

I'm now 9 rare planes short of the grand slam thanks to many of you enablers but working on the goal. I get the reprints and try to note in my inventory if Nexus vs Ares if they are similar. But if they're extremely close in scheme I may repaint some <gasp>!
    You think you have 9 to go but I think I have bad news for you.

I used to keep all of the Wings in their boxes. Then, I packed them in foam trays and stored the boxes in the basement. Unfortunately, I had a basement flood that ruined most of the boxes. So, that painful experience cured me from trying to collect everything in perfect condition. Since then, I have just been getting only one of each. Having the Nexus versions, I have been passing on the Ares. Still, there are not that many reprints and the completionist inside is calling out to me.

I’ve approached the hobby (once again) as a player rather than a collector. I am buying in numbers but boxes are gone and the planes in cases so I don’t get tempted the sell them on again.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    You think you have 9 to go but I think I have bad news for you.
    Let me sit down for this

I'm at 406 counting all the duplicates for painting and shapeways. I have been suffering under the illusion there is an end to the journey

I'm package agnostic, if it's the same plane-pilot-markings I keep my old Nexus and pass on the Ares unless it really offers something new like a significant accuracy improvement.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Let me sit down for this

I'm at 406 counting all the duplicates for painting and shapeways. I have been suffering under the illusion there is an end to the journey

I stopped counting a long time ago!

I have been suffering under the illusion there is an end to the journey

Smile

I have never tried to collect all the official aircraft or reprints just the ones I want for play.
    However I do have a large collection of Shapeways & AIM to give me important aircraft for period play. e.g. BE 2c's, Gunbus, Pup, proper Sop Tiplanes & early German 2 seaters & a 1 1/2 Strutter from before the official release.
    For WW2 Jap Bombers & Air Airocobras, Avengers, Corsairs, Lightnings etc.

If it is out there and I don't have it, I buy it.

Let me sit down for this

I don't have 406, but I can honestly say that I do have enough that I've lost count of just how many I do have.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I have never tried to collect all the official aircraft or reprints just the ones I want for play.
    However I do have a large collection of Shapeways & AIM to give me important aircraft for period play. e.g. BE 2c's, Gunbus, Pup, proper Sop Tiplanes & early German 2 seaters & a 1 1/2 Strutter from before the official release.
    For WW2 Jap Bombers & Air Airocobras, Avengers, Corsairs, Lightnings etc.
    Is there a particular Shapeways store you recommend for WWI?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    Go onto Shapeways and see who makes the model you want Bob. I have a few by Decapod, Reduced Aircraft Factory, Kampflieger, they're all good and members of the forum.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    I personally prefer 'Reduced Aircraft Factory', 'Decapod' and 'Columbia Aerodrome', but have also used 'Kampfflieger', 'Wow' and 'Arctic Skunk'

i didnt used to, but now that my completist has kicked in......

Quote Originally Posted by Biomage View Post
    If you are a collector, do you have reprints or just one version? Which version do you prefer?
    I manage to get one of each miniature from both WOW and WOG editions.
    I am quite satisfied with the WOG models, except for painted surfaces that don’t cover the edges of the wings and stabilizer on some models. And the gluing problem of the RAF SE.5a.

Comparison between the re-released Wings of Glory model (left on pictures) and the Wings of War model (right)

PFALZ D.IIIa
    The radiator grill on the upper wing painted in gray on the WOG, while it is the same color as the wing on the WOW (it is however in gray on the WOW aircraft card).

Name:  A519D936-E32B-445C-8EED-21DBB25F4E07.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  62.4 KB

RAF SE.5a (3 WOG models on picture)
    Upperwing askew, so struts are not glued to the wings.
    Undercart interfering with peg attachment.
    Underwing not fixed to fuselage and strut (on one side).
    see this message, how to cope with : https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post539174

Name:  AB56ED18-21DA-46B1-8E7E-37029D0A36BD.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  68.3 KB

RUMPLER C.IV (3 WOG models on picture)
    There is no painting on the junction of vertical and horizontal stabilizer

Name:  582B9F37-57FB-411F-8E70-1915A82CA417.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  81.5 KB

NIEUPORT 17
    Nungesser: the upper wing of the WOG model is decorated with the 2-tone camouflage and not the plain green of the WOW model.
    But the edge of the tail and the vertical stabilizer are not covered with green paint.
    The Nungesser emblem (black heart with skull) is bigger on the WOG and better detailed.

Name:  F2B392F9-5ABC-4A0D-B99D-C19363181B6D.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  65.7 KB

RAF RE.8
    The engine block is painted in dark gray and the cowling in aluminum.
    The uprights connecting the fuselage to the upper wing are painted in brown (and not in light grey like in the WOW model).

Name:  6A1422C3-C515-4587-BC2A-4150C716BB71.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  67.0 KB

SOPWITH SNIPE
    The green camouflage of the Barker Snipe has a more military tint on the WOG model (left).
    The roundels are also darker.

Name:  AAB1C3AD-E2C6-47E3-9D68-E0A9C9ABBD85.jpeg
Size:  151.5 KB

FOKKER D.VII
    WOG Fokker D.VIIs have a black radiator grill compared to the non metal coloured front of the WOW models.

Name:  C5760693-F2FA-4353-85BC-4A316673C9E7.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  77.4 KB

ROLAND C.II
    1st photo (Richthofen): The sky blue of the WOW model (right) has been lightened on the WOG model, maybe closer to reality, the blue of the WOW model being almost too intense in comparison.
    The windows under the cockpit are now painted in gray.
    The pilots have lost their brown uniforms and have the same color as the plane except for the head which is now black.
    2nd photo: the FFA 292B WOG (left) and the Luftstreitkräfte WOG (center) don’t have the edges of the wings and tail painted, unlike the original WOW model (right).

Name:  30ECD707-8C0B-4816-B614-F0A9199A1175.jpeg
Size:  155.1 KB
    Name:  FF2DD39B-F2BF-40EE-9A9B-642B3D572082.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  195.4 KB

AIRCO DH.4
    First picture : 50th American Expedition Force - The green color of the WOW model (right) is replaced by a more military brown green.
    Second picture : WOG Bartlett/Naylor and WOW Cadbury/Leckie (the 2 bottom planes), with the exhaust pipes visible on both sides of the front fuselage. The finish of the WOW model is superior since these pipes are completely painted (in brown), while on the WOG only the profile part of the pipes is painted in grey, the upper and lower part being beige like the camouflage of the hood.

Name:  4F8AA80F-20CA-409B-B896-B573649ACCCF.jpeg
Views: 165
Size:  152.5 KB
    Name:  E614BDAF-F654-42E8-9654-1B28B73CBA00.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  203.7 KB

The Full Photo review from Keith of the first Reedition Spad 13 - Camel Albatros D.Va - Fokker Dr.I
    Complete comments : https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l-Photo-review

SPAD XIII
    Wings of War model (left) and the Wings of Glory model (right)
    The new SPAD XIIIs fair much better when compared to the original, with a nice detailed radiator and cowling.
    The interplane struts are much thinner.

Name:  A75DFE5D-1CC4-49AD-A920-56DACD44AB36.jpeg
Views: 164
Size:  66.0 KB

SOPWITH CAMEL
    The original had a nicely shaped prop with a clearly visible hub and bolts. The new one is in the rough shape of a prop, but there are no signs at off of the detail around the hub area.
    The original had rounded cylinders with details between each at the rotary engine. The new one simply has a flat "gear" shaped part there.
    The vertical stabilizer has also been reshaped and appears to be closer in shape and size to the real thing.

Name:  AE49B567-D656-4081-815D-4A00AD5CB9DA.jpeg
Views: 169
Size:  94.1 KB

ALBATROS D.Va
    Wings of Glory model (left) and the Wings of War model (right)
    The radiators are painted now.
    The vertical stabilizer has been cut down and has a better shape.
    The struts are slab sided and very poorly cast.

Name:  559C23CB-AA0A-445D-BA45-173A859AA811.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  79.3 KB

FOKKER Dr.I
    The prop and cowling area are not as nicely molded. Gone are the rounded cylinders that were slightly recessed behind the cowing. In their place is a flat and non-dimensional hunk of plastic.
    The rudder unit got a much needed overhaul and looks much better.

Name:  3ABA2687-E34F-4DD9-9535-C246B21563E8.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  81.7 KB
    Last edited by monse; 05-16-2021 at 06:52.

Great summary there Monse, great to see comparisons.

rep guns jammed simon, great work!

Similar Missions

1. Heads up for Collectors
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 09:23
  2. WGF ATTN Albatros collectors
    By Baxter in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2016, 15:35
  3. Reprints of Reprints: N vs I, II vs III etc
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: General Discussions