Ares Games

Thread: A new sub-forum for 3D printing

Default A new sub-forum for 3D printing

As per the subject - is it time?

I'll second that!

I think that's an excellent idea, its such an exciting development, and given the lack of new stuff coming out of ARES, I believe it is the future of the game and a whole lot of other games as well to be honest (I have just bought an extra set of trains for the Ticket to Ride game off ETSY)

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

A great idea, I really do believe it is the new future for Wargaming in general. Hopefully we can all help each other with ideas and tips as the members with 3D printers grows, as I am sure this year it will really take off (excuse the pun).

I'll third that - I've got a few ideas for it too.

Good idea. As said, this is the future of a lot of gaming.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    given the lack of new stuff coming out of ARES
    If you look at the Blood Red Skies Facebook pages its mostly 3d printed planes from designers now. Warlord has been really slow at bringing out any new aircraft packs and the 3D designers have really been filling the gap left by them, with aircraft which are better in many ways. Ares is even slower so there is real potential for members to buy or download free files and print out there own aircraft on their own printer.

We already have a Shapeways sub-forum; rename it 3D printing?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I doubt I'll ever have a 3D printer or understand much about it, but I love to see the work of you guys that do So I'll fourth that

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    We already have a Shapeways sub-forum; rename it 3D printing?
    Karl
    I’m thinking that the Shapeways forum should stay because that should be devoted to what is a massive, and growing, source of commercially available models.

The new sub forum would be devoted to those who design and produce their own extras of all sorts of things relating to our game. It could also be a repository of links to stl files that can be found on Thingiverse and similar.

It could even be a forum where those who don’t own a printer could negotiate with someone who does for the production of items that they need.

Not (yet) into the design side of 3D printing, but I'd go along with the sub-forum idea. Not sure how many contributers there would be though, and possibly there may be a danger of someone selling printed models from sources for which they do not have a commercial licence to do so.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I think it would be a good thing to add. Not only for the purposes mentioned so far but also for a place to ask questions or post hints and tips for successful printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    and possibly there may be a danger of someone selling printed models from sources for which they do not have a commercial licence to do so.
    I'd say this kind of thing should get an offender Drummed Out. If we want people to make goodies for us we need to support them; time is money and every hour that goes into a model is an hour that doesn't put food on the dinner table or get shared with loved ones.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

A dedicated forum would be wonderful, although I'd be content with renaming the Shapeways forum as well. Either way, yes please!

Similar Missions

1. 3D printing....
    By Wodin in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 04:37
  2. 3D scanning and printing
    By Kermit in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 15:16
  3. Printing Problems
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-15-2012, 10:20
  4. General For those who want to do their own 3D printing.
    By smitty_au in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 05:19
  5. Printing Drachens
    By Azrael in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 08:56