Ares Games
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916

Sorry to hear that Mike but know how you feel. Your AARs will be dearly missed. The last year I have been having trouble getting the solo campaign game on the table as time has been tight. When I do (today is the day!) play one out I do love it. I'm sure in a few months you'll get the urge to return. We'll keep the door open.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    ...Its been a blast, and I really hope to be back again one fine day. Its been fun reading all of your AARs and I shall get around to doing that part again soon. In the meantime, a great deal of thanks is due to Dave / Flash / Uncle for putting on this show and I hope I have done it some credit over the past months...
    You've done that in spades mate, sorry to see you go but look forward to seeing you at some real games in the future.

"He is wise who watches"

Rolling up on the last game of this year, hopefully Peter has something in the works and those chaps lagging behind can catch up before the new year.

"He is wise who watches"

Many regrets guys, but I this morning I let Uncle know that I am withdrawing from the campaign, at least for a time. Just hit a brick wall one day, when it came to writing AARs and playing Wings solo. Haven't stopped playing against human opposition and still enjoy that a great deal, but I need time to regain my former enthusiasm for both the solo game and AAR writing.

Its been a blast, and I really hope to be back again one fine day. Its been fun reading all of your AARs and I shall get around to doing that part again soon. In the meantime, a great deal of thanks is due to Dave / Flash / Uncle for putting on this show and I hope I have done it some credit over the past months.

Watch your six all,

Laters,

Mike
    Hi Mike, you've done the OTT campaign a considerable amount of credit. Seeing one of your AAR posted has always brightened my day.

I understand your sentiment - as with many things there's always an initial burst of enthusiasm. I'm also feeling a bit of a lag in part because other things are tugging at my interest (as in - oh, there's a shiny, new thing). So, I'm taking it one mission at a time. I can't really get much enthusiasm for building / painting the pile of valom and shapeways stuff that's lying around - including some Albatros D.II, Sopwith Triplanes and an FF33 seaplane - all of which were/are intended for the current campaign.

Mike, you will be missed. Love your AAR! Hope everything works out. I understand the time crunch! Been having one myself with everything opening up at one time! Hoping to get some catch up in soon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Rolling up on the last game of this year, hopefully Peter has something in the works and those chaps lagging behind can catch up before the new year.
    As we see it happens ofter that the person preceeding you submits a game similar to what you were planning, I am forced to change gears. I was planning a night battle since Flash set mey up for the 5th of November but with a night battle preceeding me I think it may be a bit much to have two back to back. (Maybe it would be better having had the practice of using the night rules?) Well, I am on a different course now and will be giving all a flying challenge that goes against your flight training. It will be a simple task but may backfire!

Now I have to catch up before posting it on Nov. 1st!

sorry to hear that Mike, know how you feel after 10 yrs in the pilot seat in this campaign.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Mike I'm really sorry you're pulling out, I'll miss your AAR's, your pilots and your photos, especially your terrain and wondering for the umpteenth time if I should try and emulate it.

On the otherhand, each time I'm tempted down the 3d route I curse the very name Mikeemagnus for drawing me in to such a mad world using such a difficult playing surface.

I'm going to miss your contributions because selfishly they've always been an inspiration to me and I think we all need inspiration at times just to keep going.

Hope to see you back in the campaign sometime in the future.

Mike, sorry to see that you're stepping away from the campaign -- it's our loss. Your AARs and contributions to the game have been amazing. Hope to see you back one day

Hey guys, many thanks for all of the above comments. Good to know there is so much support and friendship out there Yes, Dave, I shall be back to Flight Club at some stage and yes I'm still enjoying games with real people. A couple of days ago I and my brothers son, Oliver, introduced my eldest Grandson Sebbie (7 years old) to the game. He played with total concentration, with a SPAD XIII and a Camel against Oliver's 2 x Albatros DVs, for what seemed an age, and played really well. Giving Oliver a good lesson. However, the game ended in tragedy when the last two flying collided

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_134909 (2).jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	308645 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_134843 (2).jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	308646
    Last edited by flash; 10-29-2021 at 08:43.

... However, the game ended in tragedy when the last two flying collided
    Did you teach them how to fly backwards, as well as how to collide?

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Tim - guess I shall never live that down or should that be up?

Dave I'm hoping to fly Barry's first mission again in December, the balloon busting optional addition to the schedule.

Do you want the AAR in the BYM section of the forum or in the any other AAR's.
    If the former, what would you like as a title and shall we do a normal Butchers Bill for the game?
    Cheers

I think we'll call it OTT BYM Mission 1B "Deny The Enemy" dated 11th November 1916 and post the AAR as normal.
    All results count as usual so let's be careful out there !
    Last edited by flash; 12-04-2021 at 07:05.

"He is wise who watches"

I think we'll call it OTT BYM Mission 1B "Deny The Enemy" dated a day of players choice December 1916 and post the AAR as normal.
    All results count as usual so let's be careful out there !
    For the rosters I notice that the number of skipped missions has increased by one with the inserted mission 1B. Is that correct or are you're still adjusting the rosters?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    For the rosters I notice that the number of skipped missions has increased by one with the inserted mission 1B. Is that correct or are you're still adjusting the rosters?
    No they're done - not fannying about with it further.
    I've adjusted the date of the mission to fall the day before the next November date - ie 11th November so the skipped week is the same. Think Barry would've approved. :cuppa:

"He is wise who watches"

No they're done - not fannying about with it further.
    I've adjusted the date of the mission to fall the day before the next November date - ie 11th November so the skipped week is the same. Think Barry would've approved. :cuppa:
    Very reasonable, Dave - and a good choice of a date.

Merry Christmas to all our OTT pilots, past and present, hope you have a great day full of safe family fun, I raise a glass to you all & one for our missing airmen :cuppa:

"He is wise who watches"

To you and yours, all have a merry and joyous day!

Merry Christmas to all our OTT pilots, past and present, hope you have a great day full of safe family fun, I raise a glass to you all & one for our missing airmen :cuppa:
    Merry Christmas, Dave - and to all the other 'pilots' here on the forum and their family and friends.

Well said Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think I'll have to request a shuffle to the mission assignments.

Jun: Gully_raker - Week 1 Oct 5th (This month: More Alb D.II for Eagles; Sopwith Pups to RNAS; SPAD VII to RFC)
    Jul: Mikeemagnus - Week 2 Oct 12th
    August: Off
    Sep: Camelbeagle - Week 3 Oct 19th
    Oct: Shadowdragon - Week 4 Oct 27th
    Nov: Teaticket - Week 5 Nov 5th (This month: Bigger Lewis pans; RE8 for RFC; Ca3 bombers for French?)
    Dec: Off - Option game of Baz (Gully_rakers) Week 1 mission
    Jan: Tikkifriend - Week 6 Nov 12th
    Feb: 'Unlucky' Baz - Week 7 Nov 19th
    Mar: Stumptonian - Week 8 Nov 27th
    Apr: off
    May: Kustenjaeger - Week 9 Dec 5th (This month: Alb D.III for Eagles; Sopwith Tripes for RNAS & to RFC, for trials)
    Jun: Malachi - Week 10 Dec 12th
    Jul: Vagabond - Week 11 Dec 19th
    Aug: flash - Week 12 Dec 27th

I was hoping to be retired by March, but have a final project that, as it looks now, will pose a conflict with the date I am scheduled to post.
    In all likelihood, barring postponement, I will be back in New Bedford, Massachusetts, the last week of February into early March.

Perhaps switch the "April off" with March? or can Paul or 'Unlucky Baz' swap weeks with me as I am off this upcoming week and not heading north for my usual visit due to the Canadian border restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I think I'll have to request a shuffle to the mission assignments.

Jun: Gully_raker - Week 1 Oct 5th (This month: More Alb D.II for Eagles; Sopwith Pups to RNAS; SPAD VII to RFC)
    Jul: Mikeemagnus - Week 2 Oct 12th
    August: Off
    Sep: Camelbeagle - Week 3 Oct 19th
    Oct: Shadowdragon - Week 4 Oct 27th
    Nov: Teaticket - Week 5 Nov 5th (This month: Bigger Lewis pans; RE8 for RFC; Ca3 bombers for French?)
    Dec: Off - Option game of Baz (Gully_rakers) Week 1 mission
    Jan: Tikkifriend - Week 6 Nov 12th
    Feb: 'Unlucky' Baz - Week 7 Nov 19th
    Mar: Stumptonian - Week 8 Nov 27th
    Apr: off
    May: Kustenjaeger - Week 9 Dec 5th (This month: Alb D.III for Eagles; Sopwith Tripes for RNAS & to RFC, for trials)
    Jun: Malachi - Week 10 Dec 12th
    Jul: Vagabond - Week 11 Dec 19th
    Aug: flash - Week 12 Dec 27th

I was hoping to be retired by March, but have a final project that, as it looks now, will pose a conflict with the date I am scheduled to post.
    In all likelihood, barring postponement, I will be back in New Bedford, Massachusetts, the last week of February into early March.

Perhaps switch the "April off" with March? or can Paul or 'Unlucky Baz' swap weeks with me as I am off this upcoming week and not heading north for my usual visit due to the Canadian border restrictions.
    Hi Pete,

Happy to swap with you

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Hi Pete,

Happy to swap with you

Baz
    Thanks, Baz.
    Offer accepted!

Running order amended by Uncle - thanks Baz

"He is wise who watches"

Looking over the state of play we're down to 5 active Eagles against 3 & a bit active Bulldogs.
    I have 'hidden' the rosters of those that are inactive, or, withdrawn from the campaign so they are still available should they be required. Please don't 'unhide' them when using the rosters.

"He is wise who watches"

Looking over the state of play we're down to 5 active Eagles against 3 & a bit active Bulldogs.
    I have 'hidden' the rosters of those that are inactive, or, withdrawn from the campaign so they are still available should they be required. Please don't 'unhide' them when using the rosters.
    5 to 3 - No problem, we can take them any day.

Although I'm a bit worried about the Bit of a Bulldog, should that be Bite of a Bulldog?

Slowly catching back up, mission 6 in the can just have to write it up now before mission 7 !

"He is wise who watches"

I'm still flying my slow Fokker D.II. Must get an Albatross so I can catch up! Mission 5 is finally on the table.

Well done all those chaps playing catch up - you've kept me entertained and very busy over the past few days and mission 8 is still to be delivered by everyone !

"He is wise who watches"

We have April off - spot of leave for all - hostilities will resume in May !
    Gary (Hu Rhu) will be doing the honours as I've heard nothing from Edward (Kustenjaeger) for a while.
    Last edited by flash; 03-28-2022 at 10:16.

"He is wise who watches"

Mission 9 is 'in the can' - just have to find time to do the AAR now as have a few other games looming in the wings that will eat up my time.

"He is wise who watches"

Mission 9 is 'in the can' - just have to find time to do the AAR now as have a few other games looming in the wings that will eat up my time.
    Looking forward to seeing how it played out.

Finished Mission 9 this morning as well.
    Hope to get it posted tomorrow or Monday.

Yet to roll some C&W ...

Ditto, finished the game, need to do tally and then create the story and try to get the 60 odd photos to load.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how it played out.
    You say that now...

"He is wise who watches"

You say that now...
    Ooh - a twist in the tail??? Or just a rout for the Bulldogs??

Either way looking forward to reading it.

You can see now !

"He is wise who watches"

Uncle will be absent for the next couple of days - junior management is getting hitched Friday so we're off to stay nearer the venue. Should be back over the weekend if anyone needs anything.

"He is wise who watches"

Uncle will be absent for the next couple of days - junior management is getting hitched Friday so we're off to stay nearer the venue. Should be back over the weekend if anyone needs anything.
    Enjoy the festivities and you time away from the front!

Mission accomplished without loss, other than the bar bill
    Last edited by flash; 06-05-2022 at 02:31.

"He is wise who watches"

Mission accomplished without loss, other than the bar bill :drinking:
    That can be a killer bill.

Congrats to your daughter and her new husband.

Apologies to my fellow pilots for not contributing these last few months but a series of real world events , most recently Mary contracting Guillian Barre syndrome and being hospitalised and in long term rehabilitation , has ment I have neglected the game some what. I hope to be back for the next instalment of the campaign if there is a place available.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

No apologies necessary here. Sad to hear that Paul. Hoping for a successful recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Apologies to my fellow pilots for not contributing these last few months but a series of real world events , most recently Mary contracting Guillian Barre syndrome and being hospitalised and in long term rehabilitation , has ment I have neglected the game some what. I hope to be back for the next instalment of the campaign if there is a place available.
    Paul
    Sorry to hear that, Paul. I hope Mary's rehab/recovery is quick and successful. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Apologies to my fellow pilots for not contributing these last few months but a series of real world events , most recently Mary contracting Guillian Barre syndrome and being hospitalised and in long term rehabilitation..
    Had to look up Guillain-Barré syndrome, Paul, as never heard of that before. Nasty business, hopefully Mary will soon make a full recovery.
    Worry not about apologies & there will always be a billet for you in the Bulldogs, never you worry. Sending you both our best wishes

"He is wise who watches"

Best wishes to Mary, Paul, and hoping for a successful recovery!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. OTT Bold Young men (BYM) Campaign Rules.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2021, 07:43
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2021, 07:48
  4. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  5. OTT Cocky Young Men (CYM) Campaign Rules
    Replies: 6