Ares Games
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Evening all. Re Mission 2. I don't think anyone has experienced anything in it that they couldn't cope with, but just in case, please note I'm out of the office for the next week. If there are any questions, hopefully they can be dealt with by the wealth of experienced OTT bodies that are still around at the time
    Have fun everyone - I shall be in a narrow boat, on the Grand Union canal, looking for convenient pubs, doing a spot of fishing and generally lazing around, regardless of the weather Catch up next week
    Mike - enjoy the narrow boat, the canal, the pubs, the fishing and the generally lazing around - hope the weather is fabulous. My mission 2 is in the bag - I just need to figure out a storytelling angle, then I can write it up. No problems with the scenario - it was fun.

...I shall be in a narrow boat, on the Grand Union canal, looking for convenient pubs, doing a spot of fishing and generally lazing around, regardless of the weather ...
    Hopefully the weather's not bad, the beer's good and England win on Sunday

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Default Message From Uncle - Probable Kills

Attention chaps Just for wotsit & giggles I thought we'd see if we can record 'probables'. Tried this before but it didn't work, however, now we have a bit more meat on the FRTB bone I think it can be done & will paint a better picture of your pilots performance than just a number of goose eggs.
    So, to help this along you're required to note the pilots that get a probable in the Tally by marking those that cause a FRTB & the reason why:

Pilots name & aircraft identifier / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories or not & Probables.
    eg: Lt Stan Deasey - DH.2 #4 / EXP-ET / WIA / 0 Kills / 1 probable FRTB-D

This detail will be noted in the victories part of the roster and totalled in the Prob(ables) column.
    I have made a start and you can see what I've done on the roster already.
    Last edited by flash; 07-11-2021 at 07:56.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Attention chaps Just for wotsit & giggles I thought we'd see if we can record 'probables'. Tried this before but it didn't work, however, now we have a bit more meat on the FRTB bone I think it can be done & will paint a better picture of your pilots performance than just a number of goose eggs.
    So, to help this along you're required to note the pilots that get a probable in the Tally by marking those that cause a FRTB & the reason why:

Pilots name & aircraft identifier / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories or not & Probables.

This detail will be noted in the victories part of the roster and totalled in the Prob(ables) column.
    A neat idea, but whether or not it's too much.....???

Anyway, I've edited my mission 1 and added in the probable kills as shown above. There were 3 - 2 for each of the Adlers and 1 for the Sea Dog Flashman

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    A neat idea, but whether or not it's too much.....???
    Anyway, I've edited my mission 1 and added in the probable kills as shown above. There were 3 - 2 for each of the Adlers and 1 for the Sea Dog Flashman
    No need, I'd already done them but thanks anyway. You just need to note the details in further missions.

I like it!

Hi

Trying to plan my scenario for next year, can anyone advise with a relevant book what aircraft were available to 15th squadron RFC in November 1916.

I know they had BE2c.

Thanks

Baz

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I like it!
    Me Too!

Another like from me. A bit more bookkeeping though for you Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Another like from me. A bit more bookkeeping though for you Dave.
    Glutton for punishment is Uncle - it's not vital so I don't have to chase it like the other bits though.

Default Barry Hickson (Gully-raker) - RIP

I'm sure that by the time you've got to this point you will have seen the sad news of Barry's passing. He was a great friend to many of us and we will miss the Christmas cards from Oz as well as the PM's, support & friendship he gave us on the forum and here 'Over the Trenches'.
    He was a lovely bloke, a good mate and he will will be very much missed by all that knew him.

Wings at last, Baz, RIP

Last edited by flash; 07-19-2021 at 02:52.

Gully-raker will be missed indeed. Very sad.

:cuppa:

So sorry to see you go so soon my friend. I raise a pint to your honor that is watered down with tears.

Very sad news. Raise a pint to him!

A painful loss, many condolences to his family. Baz was always so kind and welcoming in PMs to this rookie. Clear skies.

I was stunned when I saw Zoe's post - just like when Matt56 passed away suddenly.
    Like many others I had recently been PMing with Baz.
    He was such a wonderful character, and had finally got his gaming area set up again.
    He will definitely be missed here Over the Trenches.

His scenarios and AARs will be sadly missed.
    Long my he fly in the Forum

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I was stunned when I saw Zoe's post - just like when Matt56 passed away suddenly.
    Like many others I had recently been PMing with Baz.
    He was such a wonderful character, and had finally got his gaming area set up again.
    He will definitely be missed here Over the Trenches.

Gentlemen,

Although I have not flown with you for the last couple of years, as the onetime CO. of the Bulldogs I felt that I needed to get the remaining pilots who flew alongside Baz, aka Captain Trigger's Heart of Oak Squadron.
    Our tribute to him comprises this Memorial Flypast.
    Led by a Flight of the Heart of Oak Squadron in the Missing Man Formation, followed by Major Kyte leading the Bulldogs flown by Perry and Hawkwood with other members of their Flights, followed by the tailing Bristol FE flown by Lt. Nigel Bouncer-Smythe.

Gully Raker, we salute you sir.

Kyte.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	304328

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	304329

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	304330

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	304331
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Gentlemen,

Although I have not flown with you for the last couple of years, as the onetime CO. of the Bulldogs I felt that I needed to get the remaining pilots who flew alongside Baz, aka Captain Trigger's Heart of Oak Squadron.
    Our tribute to him comprises this Memorial Flypast.
    Led by a Flight of the Heart of Oak Squadron in the Missing Man Formation, followed by Major Kyte leading the Bulldogs flown by Perry and Hawkwood with other members of their Flights, followed by the tailing Bristol FE flown by Lt. Nigel Bouncer-Smythe.

Gully Raker, we salute you sir.

Kyte.

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	304328

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	304329

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	304330

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	304331

Baz would definitely like that.

(I like it, too)

That is very heart touching! Lovely! Salute!

Blown away by this news - a very sad loss indeed. He was a very good friend to us all, as Dave said, and he will be missed a great deal. Rob, that was a damned fine fly past send off, thanks for that.

Here's to you Baz and you can pretend its a cup of tea if you like mate. Fly safe wherever you are now. The Bulldogs will never be quite the same again without you.

Message From Uncle - Probable Kills
    Personally I think that is a truly excellent idea. Thanks dave. I'll try not to make too many foul ups with it - promise

Very thoughtfull Rob, and I'm sure much apreciated by our fallen comrade and wing man Baz.

May I suggest a replay of his last Mission , and the first of this new Campaign during the Chrismas break this year?

Love the Flypast

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Love the Flypast

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    May I suggest a replay of his last Mission , and the first of this new Campaign during the Chrismas break this year?
    Noted by Uncle - I will update the play list.

the flypast, excellent!

I've just read the news about Barry's passing, sorry to be so late to the wake.

I'm away at the moment and so have drunk a tea in his honour but will raise a glass of calvados tonight as well.

Rob, that's a great idea with the fly past, I'm sure he would have been chuffed to bits seeing it.

RIP Gully Raker

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Hi

Trying to plan my scenario for next year, can anyone advise with a relevant book what aircraft were available to 15th squadron RFC in November 1916.

I know they had BE2c.

Thanks

Baz
    According to War in the Air, 15 Sqn had, or were authorised, 16 Be-2c in June 1916 and 18 Be-2d and e in April 1917. I could look at the weekly returns but that might take a bit of time to find.

Edward

Hi

I know they had BE2c.

Thanks

Baz
    Just had a quick look at Les Rogers tome on Sqn markings and that states they went to France in December 1915 with B.E.2 cs and later re-equipped with R.E.8's in June 1917. There is also a photo of some of their ground crew with a B.E. 2e dated March 1917, and one of a Bristol scout dated May 1916. Regret no other info. yet.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 08-01-2021 at 05:36.

Just had a quick look at Les Rogers tome on Sqn markings and that states they went to France in December 1915 with B.E.2 cs and later re-equipped with R.E.8's in June 1917. There is also a photo of some of their ground crew with a B.E. 2e dated March 1917, and one of a Bristol scout dated May 1916. Regret no other info. yet.
    Ok Mike thanks. Think I have found out that in Nov16, 15th had Be2c, d & e available to them. Some books give Bristol Scouts but if they did have these I think it would have been used as a trainer only as the only squadron I can find with active scouts in Nov 16 was 3 (N) based at St Pol.

Came across this piece on our late wingman Gully_raker today you chaps may find interesting.
    https://aboutregional.com.au/vale-ba...ell-travelled/

My favourite pic !

Name:	Barry-Red_Wine.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	304899
    Last edited by flash; 08-04-2021 at 07:26.

Came across this piece on our late wingman Gully_raker today
    Many thanks for posting that Dave. Quite an eye opener. I knew Baz was interested in old machinery, but not how much that was part of his life. Had no idea about his earlier racing exploits. Some character huh!

That is a very nice article. Never new him very well, but seemed like a real gentleman! Wonderful article about him.

Very nice article. Thanks for posting, Dave.

Thanks Dave for sharing this article. So much more to the man than his tractors and WWI airplanes.

Good find Dave. We were friends on Facebook so I knew of his love of racing cars and farm machinery, but the article sums up a thoroughly 'Bonza' bloke.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

What a wonderful read with my morning coffee.
    I knew of Barry's interest in old machinery (and the terrible loss during the bushfires) and a bit about his racing days.
    And he still had time for moving little aeroplanes around a table.

A life well-lived to be sure.

So long, Baz, we hardly knew ye.

John (vagabond) approached me with an idea to keep Barry flying with OTT and asked me if he might apply to transfer one of Baz's pilots to his roster.
    My first thought was - you'll all want one but after much thought I've decided to keep his roster intact for posterity.
    I liked the idea to keep him flying with us though and to that end each current Bulldog now has a new Australian pilot named Barry (Baz) with the surname of one of his roster and an inherent 'Lucky Pilot' skill to, hopefully, keep him safe.
    Uncle expects to see Baz's in the air soon ! :cuppa:

That is pretty wonderful Flash!

John (vagabond) approached me with an idea to keep Barry flying with OTT and asked me if he might apply to transfer one of Baz's pilots to his roster.
    My first thought was - you'll all want one but after much thought I've decided to keep his roster intact for posterity.
    I liked the idea to keep him flying with us though and to that end each current Bulldog now has a new Australian pilot named Barry (Baz) with the surname of one of his roster and an inherent 'Lucky Pilot' skill to, hopefully, keep him safe.
    Uncle expects to see Baz's in the air soon ! :cuppa:

Great idea, Dave (and John)

Any chance we Adler could have one as well?
    With the Lucky Pilot I am sure I could keep mine alive.

Great idea, Dave (and John)

With the Lucky Pilot I am sure I could keep mine alive.
    I don't think that there's a German name equivalent to Barry or Baz so I'm sure Uncle will say no.

There again Onkel might say yes.

I meant as a Bulldog opponent to join my other two Aussies.

I was lucky enough to speak to Baz on this very subject some years ago when FO Kyte made a cameo appearance in one of his AAR's. Yes he was one of the few who I actually sent one of my FO Kyte Camels to fly in his game. In return, when Triggers visited my Squadron at Bentangles, I had an aircraft from his Heart of Oak squadron with Triggers markings on it. Hence my ability to field Triggers aircraft and that of his wingman in the Memorial Flight photograph. I am sure that Baz would be real chuffed if his legacy included the inclusion of his squadron's pilots, transferred into the Bulldogs.
    As a matter of fact, I had also discussed the much older Triggers playing a role in Kytes sojurn in Malta during our Fire in the skies campaign, so as soon as I get the chance to write my next instalment look out for an older and much more senior Triggers out there with Kyte.

Meantime, try not to get any of his chaps killed off!

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I meant as a Bulldog opponent to join my other two Aussies.
    I think Onkel can manage that !

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    .. I am sure that Baz would be real chuffed if his legacy included the inclusion of his squadron's pilots, transferred into the Bulldogs...
    Except they're not but his legacy will live on !
    Last edited by flash; 08-14-2021 at 09:21.

I think Onkel can manage that !
    Danke sehr

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. OTT Bold Young men (BYM) Campaign Rules.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2021, 07:43
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2021, 07:48
  4. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  5. OTT Cocky Young Men (CYM) Campaign Rules
    Replies: 6