Ares Games
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916

Look forward to seeing everyone's efforts on the model board over the next few months.

"He is wise who watches"

We have a new member joining the Bulldogs for this campaign namely Edward (Kustenjaeger). Please make him welcome and lend assistance should he have any questions.

Edward, I've put you in for the scenario next May (Dec 5th)
    Last edited by flash; 05-28-2021 at 08:34.

"He is wise who watches"

Awesome! Welcome Kustenjaeger!

Welcome, Edward, but surely with a name like Kustenjaeger you have filled in the wrong application form and should be joining der Kaiser's Adler ...

Hi Edward - welcome aboad, we've got quite a few new pilots in the forthcoming campaign so you'll not be alone.

The more the merrier and I'm looking forward to your take on an AAR.

Welcome Edward, good to have you on board. Looking forward to this new campaign and if you need any help feel free to ask.

Welcome, Edward, from another new kid.

Welcome to the campaign Edward. You have now signed your life away at the front!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    We have a new member joining the Bulldogs for this campaign namely Edward (Kustenjaeger). Please make him welcome and lend assistance should he have any questions.

Edward, I've put you in for the scenario next May (Dec 5th)
    Welcome Edward (Kustenjaeger)...you're a brave man to join Bulldogs as the....ah, er, Albatri...are about to hit the fan. Drat those 'A' guns!

Yes, my Bulldogs look like they are starting loosely based on 60 Sqn at 15 October 1916 with a Morane Bullet (60 had 2 at the time) and a mix of N.16 and N.17 Scouts - there may be a SPAD (one was present on 15 October with 60).

Not sure what my opposition will be using - some old Fokker E.III and some new Albatros D.I (and then D.II) plus - possibly - a couple of Halberstadt D’s and a Fokker D (loosely based on the kit available to Jasta 10 when formed in September 1916).

Edward

Thumbs up

Welcome to the madness of the Western Front Edward!
    Great to see another Flight join the Doggies.

Hi Edward

Welcome from another newcomer but on the Eagles side

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    Yes, my Bulldogs look like they are starting loosely based on 60 Sqn at 15 October 1916 with a Morane Bullet (60 had 2 at the time) and a mix of N.16 and N.17 Scouts - there may be a SPAD (one was present on 15 October with 60).

Not sure what my opposition will be using - some old Fokker E.III and some new Albatros D.I (and then D.II) plus - possibly - a couple of Halberstadt D’s and a Fokker D (loosely based on the kit available to Jasta 10 when formed in September 1916).

Edward
    Hi Edward. I like your take on 60 squad. but would suggest they would not have flown the Moranes in combat in Oct 16. Probably used then as Squadron "hacks". N 16 & 17 is the way to go if you don't have any DH-2's.
    The Spad VII is OK as well with Daves approval in his Rules Post.
    I will be using my Spads.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Edward. I like your take on 60 squad. but would suggest they would not have flown the Moranes in combat in Oct 16. Probably used then as Squadron "hacks". N 16 & 17 is the way to go if you don't have any DH-2's.
    The Spad VII is OK as well with Daves approval in his Rules Post.
    I will be using my Spads.

Good Luck!
    I’m sure you’re right about the Moranes. The 60 Squadron history refers to 60 being ‘an all Nieuport’ squadron at this time.

Edward

The last Morane left 60 sqn mid October and a pair (at least) used in combat until then, one crashed on landing killing the pilot a couple of days before the last was pulled. A good model to use Edward.

"He is wise who watches"

The last Morane left 60 sqn mid October and a pair (at least) used in combat until then, one crashed on landing killing the pilot a couple of days before the last was pulled. A good model to use Edward.
    I'm glad to have my Morane as an option.

I spent a while on the airhistory site looking at weekly RFC records and as far as I can see, at the end of 1st October 1916, 60 Squadron had its requisite 18 aircraft as follows:
    1 x SPAD (for evaluation) [A253]
    4 x Nieuport 17 [A201, A203, A213, A215]
    8 x Nieuport 16 [A135, A164, A212, A165, A225, A125, A131, A133]
    3 x Morane Saulnier V [A246, A209, A219]
    2 x Morane Saulnier I [A199, A202]

The Moranes seem to have left on 9 October (2), 11 October (1) and 18 October (2).

Edward

Thumbs up

Flew mine this morning so should have the AAR done on the weekend!

Uncle will look forward to that Baz !
    That'll be six in out of twelve with just under two weeks to run... Can we get the full house ?

"He is wise who watches"

I’m aiming to do mine on Sunday - though the balloon may have to be a Burning Drachen template as Red Eagle are unfortunately running late with the balloon I’ve ordered (though they’ve explained why) and even if it appears next week I’ll have to make paint and - more difficult - base it.

Edward

That'll be six in out of twelve with just under two weeks to run... Can we get the full house ?
    Flying mine Friday.

I have permission to use the table as of Sunday

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger View Post
    I’m aiming to do mine on Sunday - though the balloon may have to be a Burning Drachen template ..
    Perfectly acceptable Edward.

"He is wise who watches"

Here's one for a certain member of the Bulldogs.
    Showed up in Facebook and I couldn't resist keeping a copy.

Now you have a colour version of your namesake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vagabond.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	303186

Well, I ran the mission this afternoon - I’ll write it up over the next couple of days but I think the best way to sum it up is a Pyrrhic victory for the Bulldogs! Lessons learned - do not fly obsolescent aircraft against Albatri!

Edward

Here's one for a certain member of the Bulldogs.
    Showed up in Facebook and I couldn't resist keeping a copy.

Now you have a colour version of your namesake.
    Yea Pete - and I found this head piece lying around on an aerodrome near Swindon in Southern England, at the weekend. Looks suspiciously like it belongs to Mr Vagabond or one of his motley crew, don't you agree

Name:	20210619_121606.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	303229

Definitely looks like something Vagabond's bunch might have had.

My aircraft will get more modified as time and decal/model orders permit. So my N.17 that had its outing today will get its overwing Lewis, side roundels and (probably) flight markings as will its forthcoming fellows.

Obligatory photo of the feline helper today (the other is better behaved):

Name:	E57EE32B-51BC-4DA6-9EFE-4C50380B438A.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	303244

Edward

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Yea Pete - and I found this head piece lying around on an aerodrome near Swindon in Southern England, at the weekend. Looks suspiciously like it belongs to Mr Vagabond or one of his motley crew, don't you agree

Name:	20210619_121606.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	303229
    Definitely left behind by one of John's crew!

The cute kitty was just to join the game. So is that a C deck damage. C for Cat!

Great countershading on the kitty. I think I have seen that scheme before

Pete - thanks for the colour photo this might become my alter ego in WWll.

Mike - that's a very nice helmet, highly desirable and on such a distinguished looking model. Would that be anyone you know?

Smile

Had a major upgrade to my gaming area in the Garage with the addition of 2 Neon light fittings. Each with two tubes which should mean the camera flash will not be needed.
    Lets hope that overcomes the overexposure problem. If not will have to lash out for a new camera.

Name:	Games Area 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	303461

That looks really good Barry, very envious.

Let there be light ! Looks good Baz
    Three days to go and only four AAR to come, will we get a full house before mission 2 arrives ?

"He is wise who watches"

Came across this photo of a captured airman, is that ‘Blind Hans’ photobombing in the background?

Name:	93D659F0-C884-4EE0-9828-A337FD33F931.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	303462
    Last edited by Baz; 06-27-2021 at 10:02.

You never know, he does get about a bit, maybe that was one of his victims ?!

"He is wise who watches"

Let there be light ! Looks good Baz
    Three days to go and only four AAR to come, will we get a full house before mission 2 arrives ?
    Just like London buses - nothing for ages then two come along at once ! Well done chaps

"He is wise who watches"

Mike - that's a very nice helmet, highly desirable and on such a distinguished looking model. Would that be anyone you know?
    Yes I liked the helmet John. Thought of you immediately Afraid the person wearing it at the time is nobody you would want to associate with. Real rogue and not a good pilot at all.

Baz - I love the games room - real style. The lighting looks superb.

Only two now lads. Skates on. Mission two is on the runway and raring to go!

Just like London buses - nothing for ages then two come along at once ! Well done chaps
    When it rains, it pours!!!!

Any advice on how to attach a prop blade back onto an Albatros? Messed with it a bit. I think I was getting a bit hungry and my patience was lacking. I had two instances needing glue. The top wing popped off one of my SPADS as well. ARRGGHH!

Dan, I would try Tamiya Extra Thin cement. I had a top wing loose on a SPAD last week and it works great (barely visible). You have to hold the piece in place for a minute or so but hopefully it would work on the prop without creating much of a seam line.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Any advice on how to attach a prop blade back onto an Albatros? Messed with it a bit. I think I was getting a bit hungry and my patience was lacking. I had two instances needing glue. The top wing popped off one of my SPADS as well. ARRGGHH!
    Whenever I have a prop blade break off I cut off the other(s) and put on a spinning prop. Tried to glue one back on once and thought there had to be a better way.

Thumbs up

Only Teaticket & Tikkifriend to come now so well done everyone.
    Looking forward to both their AAR's soon.

I’ve put the first thinned coat of pva on 18 Shapeways aircraft tonight …

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Only Teaticket & Tikkifriend to come now so well done everyone.
    Looking forward to both their AAR's soon.
    its in the system, stormy tonight so internet is iffy

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    its in the system, stormy tonight so internet is iffy
    Good to hear Paul!

Evening all. Re Mission 2. I don't think anyone has experienced anything in it that they couldn't cope with, but just in case, please note I'm out of the office for the next week. If there are any questions, hopefully they can be dealt with by the wealth of experienced OTT bodies that are still around at the time
    Have fun everyone - I shall be in a narrow boat, on the Grand Union canal, looking for convenient pubs, doing a spot of fishing and generally lazing around, regardless of the weather Catch up next week

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Evening all. Re Mission 2. I don't think anyone has experienced anything in it that they couldn't cope with, but just in case, please note I'm out of the office for the next week. If there are any questions, hopefully they can be dealt with by the wealth of experienced OTT bodies that are still around at the time
    Have fun everyone - I shall be in a narrow boat, on the Grand Union canal, looking for convenient pubs, doing a spot of fishing and generally lazing around, regardless of the weather Catch up next week
    I hope you have a great time. I’ll be working on some Adler opposition for my Bulldogs’ N.17s.

Edward

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. OTT Bold Young men (BYM) Campaign Rules.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2021, 07:43
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2021, 07:48
  4. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  5. OTT Cocky Young Men (CYM) Campaign Rules
    Replies: 6