Ares Games
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916

Default Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916

We have reached the end of the OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign so for those interested we will be continuing the early war conflict with a new campaign that has the title of OTT - Bold Young Men Campaign, which will commence on June 1st 2021.

This campaign will cover the period October/November/December 1916, another period of change in WW1 air combat.
    I'm happy to provide the full admin for those that play and will be preparing documents/threads to assist us with that.

For the info of all Players:
    There will be four games to each campaign month eg 5th, 10th, 15th, 25th July but we will only play 1 game a month.
    This means that for the 3 months of the period we will get 12 months of gaming, we also get longer use of some of the kit. This also affects injury times for pilots and crew and there will be breaks in August, |December & April to allow people to catch up.

As usual, all those that play are expected to provide a scenario (or two) at some point.

If you want to join OTT Bold Young Men campaign please check the rules sticky, particularly you old campaigners as some minor changes will be made permanent.

Old campaigners of CYM will continue with their current rosters, your WIA will return to action, your KIA/POW are lost to history.

Those who wish to 'change ends' need to tell me so I may reverse or change your rosters.

If anyone has any questions this is the place to ask them.

The potential pilots (pending notification):

Dave (flash) - Bulldog
    Baz (Gullyraker) - Bulldog
    Mike (mikeemagnus) - Bulldog
    Paul (Tikkifriend) - Bulldog
    Peter (Teaticket) - Eagle
    Pete (Stumptonian) - Eagle
    John (Vagabond) - Bulldog
    Paul (ShadowDragon) - Bulldog
    Dan (Camelbeagle) - Eagle
    Barrie (Baz) - Eagle
    Malachi (Chris) - Eagle
    Edward (Kustenjaeger) - Bulldog
    Last edited by flash; 09-30-2022 at 09:00.

"He is wise who watches"

Volunteers for the first scenarios please step up...!
    Remember to try and keep it simple and that we are primarily fighting scouts

Jun: Gully_raker - Week 1 Oct 5th
    Jul: Mikeemagnus - Week 2 Oct 12th
    August: Off
    Sep: Camelbeagle - Week 3 Oct 19th
    Oct: Shadowdragon - Week 4 Oct 27th
    Nov: Teaticket - Week 5 Nov 5th
    Dec: Off
    Jan: Tikkifriend - Week 6 Nov 12th
    Feb: Baz - Week 7 Nov 19th
    Mar: Stumptonian - Week 8 Nov 27th
    Apr: off
    May: Kustenjaeger - Week 9 Dec 5th
    Jun: Malachi - Week 10 Dec 12th
    Jul: Vagabond - Week 11 Dec 19th
    Aug: flash - Week 12 Dec 27th

Though we are RFC we will allow the Bulldogs to trial some Sopwith Triplanes in December - They did order over a hundred but swapped contracts with the Admiralty in February in exchange for their SPAD VII orders. As the campaign after this starts then we will lose them quickly.
    Last edited by flash; 05-28-2021 at 08:30.

"He is wise who watches"

Put me down for July. I'd volunteer for June but I don't think two on the trot from me would be a good idea, unless nobody else wants June, in which case I shall do it.
    Cheers and thanks for running another campaign Dave.

Put me down for September. I can do another if need be.

Dave, I'm okay with taking any month - so whatever's convenient for the others.

Dave, I'm good for any month and as many as you need.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 05-01-2021 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm god for any month

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I have a slow pc or too fast fingers typing double letters. I get only 1 half the time. Missed that one. Fixed so not to offend.

Smile

I will take June Dave if no one else has grabbed it.

Thanks all, and God, that should get us up and running..
    I'll add other chaps as they pop in.
    Last edited by flash; 05-02-2021 at 02:27.

"He is wise who watches"

Jan 2022 for me then . Bloody Hell where are the years going!! joined this campaign on day one in 2012

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

joined this campaign on day one in 2012
    Congratulations old timer - or should that be "Veteran" Joking apart - well done all those that started and are still in there.

Unless there are vehement objections I've kept the FRTB/Crash roll in the rules. Think we only lost one chap following a crash who would have bled out anyway as he rolled snake eyes and had a wound.
    I have also tweaked the 'forced landing' option to match them with very slight tweaks.

Also tweaked the Butcher's Tally example to better reflect what is needed now:
    Pilots name & aircraft identifier / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories

eg: Lt Stan Deasey - DH.2 #4 / EXP-ET / WIA / 1 Kill (Goering)
    Please note - All on one line, no job titles, no medals, no shorthand, no notice of damage in the example

Please check and follow as best you can as it make my life that much easier
    Last edited by flash; 05-05-2021 at 10:42.

"He is wise who watches"

I like some of the clarifications. I am good with the crash roll.

Yea me too. Good with all the changes.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Unless there are vehement objections I've kept the FRTB/Crash roll in the rules. Think we only lost one chap following a crash who would have bled out anyway as he rolled snake eyes and had a wound.
    I have also tweaked the 'forced landing' option to match them with very slight tweaks.

Also tweaked the Butcher's Tally example to better reflect what is needed now:
    Pilots name & aircraft identifier / what happened to them & where / injuries / Victories

eg: Lt Stan Deasey - DH.2 #4 / EXP-ET / WIA / 1 Kill (Goering)
    Please note - All on one line, no job titles, no medals, no shorthand, no notice of damage in the example

Please check and follow as best you can as it make my life that much easier
    Yep I am good with that & should have my head fixed to report correctly.
    Like that you have added the Aircraft ID to the Tally & I agree the FTRB crash roll is a sensible addition.

Let the FUN begin!

I have decided to combine the Mess & Campaign threads this time round and have changed the title of this thread to indicate that. I have also made it a sticky so we can always find it. The CYM campaign is completed so those documents have been closed, linked and unstuck.
    The BYM rosters are ready and are linked to the rules sticky if you want to check or haven't already. Let me know if there are any issues please, note I have added enemy pilots & crew where needed, friendlies have been asked for and rank adjustments made where thought necessary.
    Request from Uncle - Where you can could you use the P2 with the O listed beneath him as that makes tracking them and the admin easier.
    Looking forward to kick off in a few weeks time
    Last edited by flash; 05-08-2021 at 02:33.

"He is wise who watches"

I’ll take Feb, which will be my virgin scenario.

Thanks Barrie, I'll add you in, you'll have a good handle on what's required by the time we get round to then.
    Last edited by flash; 05-08-2021 at 07:59.

"He is wise who watches"

I hope to be retired next spring, so plug me in for March.

One question re: the Tally
    Do you not want us to indicate Pilot or Observer before their name?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Do you not want us to indicate Pilot or Observer before their name?
    No, that's not what is meant, Uncle still wants to see P2 or O as appropriate after the name, as it's useful info, what he doesn't want is 'jasta leader', 'flight leader', 'chief bottlewasher' etc that started to creep in along with their medal awards a while back. This stopped after this was first posted in the DYM rules so it's nothing new but is kept in for the new boys info.

"He is wise who watches"

Just over a couple of weeks to kick off, hope you boys expanding with Shapeway's kit are modelling like fury and look forward to seeing the result of your efforts when they hit the table.
    I have pencilled in the last three remaining authors (me, vagabond & malachi) for scenarios ready for confirmation and the author for the final one will be selected eventually.
    Last edited by flash; 05-16-2021 at 02:47.

"He is wise who watches"

Just over a couple of weeks to kick off, hope you boys expanding with Shapeway's kit are modelling like fury and look forward to seeing the result of your efforts when they hit the table.
    I have pencilled in the last three remaining authors (me, vagabond & malachi) for scenarios ready for confirmation and the author for the final one will be selected eventually.
    Shapeways delivery arriving tomorrow for some gaps, I don’t think there are custom plane cards for them all but can find them on the database I guess (Aeg g.iii?), just need to get sealing, priming, painting and decal’ing

I expect someone might have AEG cards somewhere Barrie. Check the albums of the usual suspects: Steve(Guntruck), Karl(Jaeger), Mike(oldguy59) if no one here has them.

"He is wise who watches"

I've only got G.II and G.IV cards...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAEG-G4.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	301548

Name:	AEG-G-IV-FACard-night.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	301549

Name:	AEG-G-IV-Mgmnt-night.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	301550

Name:	AEG-G-IV-FACarda.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	301551

Name:	AEG G.IV Bogohl 4.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	301552

I suspect the stats are a bit out, but they might serve if all else fails?
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I expect someone might have AEG cards somewhere Barrie. Check the albums of the usual suspects: Steve(Guntruck), Karl(Jaeger), Mike(oldguy59) if no one here has them.
    I'm not sure anyone has done a card for the AEG G.III, it's not in any of the usual suspect albums and a google site search of the aerodrome produced zilch.

I expect the G.IV cards could be adjusted, the arcs are probably the same, the stats just need adjusting.

"He is wise who watches"

I expect the G.IV cards could be adjusted, the arcs are probably the same, the stats just need adjusting.
    Yes was going to use these in lieu of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I've only got G.II and G.IV cards...

I suspect the stats are a bit out, but they might serve if all else fails?
    Thanks, yes I have these

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    I'm not sure anyone has done a card for the AEG G.III, it's not in any of the usual suspect albums and a google site search of the aerodrome produced zilch.
    Thanks, yes I saw there was no entry yet for the G.iii and my research shows that the majority of those built were used in Macedonia. However there were some on the Western Front too, however the G.IV took over early in 1917

A couple of questions after reviewing the rules to make sure my assumptions are correct:

Pilots immediately disengage upon taking engine damage?

Collisions are peg-on-base and both planes draw a C damage. In addition, optional collision cards can also be used to determine if a collision occurred?

Baz, here are a couple of cards for a G.III that may work, adapted from above. It's similar to one found on p.25 of "German G-Type Bombers of WWI" by Jack Herris. Stats are from Wings of Linen page.

Name:	AEG G.III.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	301695

Name:	AEG G.III mngmnt.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	301696

A couple of questions after reviewing the rules to make sure my assumptions are correct:

Collisions are peg-on-base and both planes draw a C damage. In addition, optional collision cards can also be used to determine if a collision occurred?
    Pretty much how I play. I wouldn't disengage in a way that will cause them to get shot down. They would flee in a way that would maximize their ability to get home safely. At least that is how I try and play. Still a lot of pilots in the hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Pretty much how I play. I wouldn't disengage in a way that will cause them to get shot down. They would flee in a way that would maximize their ability to get home safely. At least that is how I try and play. Still a lot of pilots in the hospital!
    Yep, that's how we do it. If you are not using altitude there can be an abundance of collisions. I use the collision cards (makes it a 1/3rd chance, rock-paper-scissors) to cut down the crashes in games I don't use altitude, which is most.

If you are very brave or sadistic like Mike, don't use the collision cards.

If you are very brave or sadistic like Mike, don't use the collision cards.

Baz, here are a couple of cards for a G.III that may work, adapted from above. It's similar to one found on p.25 of "German G-Type Bombers of WWI" by Jack Herris. Stats are from Wings of Linen page.

Name:	AEG G.III.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	301695

Name:	AEG G.III mngmnt.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	301696
    Chris, thank you for this, just need a scenario with German bombers now

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    A different Mike, Mike. Sorry to lead you to believe I called you sadistic. You may be as I have seen by your missions, but I haven't called you out on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Chris, thank you for this, just need a scenario with German bombers now
    I'll have a special one for you Baz when my turn comes up. Already had the mission outlined.

Dan and Peter - thanks for the feedback. I believe I'll be using collision cards, as you've both experienced demonstrations of my piloting skills

Baz - no problem. You forced me to order one from Shapeways though lol. It would be better in CDL and older style crosses but that's not in my skillset. Beggars and Choosers amirite? Here are some possibilities:

Name:	AEG_GIII_1.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	301757

Name:	AEG_GIII_2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	301758

Cor!

Super AEG profiles!

Have a dose of Rep!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

You got it Chris, engine damage, certain wounds, damage levels can all send you packing.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'll have a special one for you Baz when my turn comes up. Already had the mission outlined.
    Thanks Peter

Dan and Peter - thanks for the feedback. I believe I'll be using collision cards, as you've both experienced demonstrations of my piloting skills

Baz - no problem. You forced me to order one from Shapeways though lol. It would be better in CDL and older style crosses but that's not in my skillset. Beggars and Choosers amirite? Here are some possibilities:

Name:	AEG_GIII_1.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	301757

Name:	AEG_GIII_2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	301758
    I have also found that 216/15 as on the western front from Mid 16 and was plain dope. Plates 24-28 of German bombers of World War One by Alex Imrie shows the plane in good detail, was attached to FFA 42 from Frescaty Aerodrome (Metz), to operate in conjunction with the Rumpler C.I 2-seaters.

....although this number may be unlucky as plate 28 shows it upside down in June 16 after a ‘rough’ landing at Frescaty with propeller and wing damage so not sure if it was repaired or scrapped after that. Perhaps our scenario could see its return after rebuild!

Volunteers for the first scenarios please step up...!
    Remember to try and keep it simple and that we are primarily fighting scouts

Jun: Gully_raker - Week 1 Oct 5th
    Jul: Mikeemagnus - Week 2 Oct 12th
    August: Off
    Sep: Camelbeagle - Week 3 Oct 19th
    Oct: Shadowdragon - Week 4 Oct 27th
    Nov: Teaticket - Week 5 Nov 5th
    Dec: Off
    Jan: Tikkifriend - Week 6 Nov 12th
    Feb: Baz - Week 7 Nov 19th
    Mar: Stumptonian - Week 8 Nov 27th
    Apr: off
    May: flash - Week 9 Dec 5th
    Jun: Malachi - Week 10 Dec 12th
    Jul: Vagabond - Week 11 Dec 19th
    Aug: tbc - Week 12 Dec 27th

Though we are RFC we will allow the Bulldogs to trial some Sopwith Triplanes in December - They did order over a hundred but swapped contracts with the Admiralty in February in exchange for their SPAD VII orders. As the campaign after this starts then we will lose them quickly.
    Sorry Dave I've been on a slow trip round the Welsh Castles and my internet wasn't up to it so just got to this.
    I'm good for the scenario date, rules and still flying for the guy's with the target on the fuselage and wings.

Not back home yet, so lots to catch up on when I get there.

Special thanks for all the work you put into this.
    Cheers

Thanks John, safe travels !

"He is wise who watches"

One week to go before we are posted back to the front !

"He is wise who watches"

Woopee, bring it on
    A different Mike, Mike. Sorry to lead you to believe I called you sadistic. You may be as I have seen by your missions, but I haven't called you out on it.
    Perhaps you will after mission 2 Peter Stay safe buddy

Thanks for sharing the AEG GIII profiles Chris - really helpful - helps me spend more dosh on Shapeways models

been on a slow trip round the Welsh Castles
    Sounds great John, hope you took a few pics on the way. As for targets on the fuselage and wings - sorry buddy, you got that wrong. They are eyes, all the better to see you with!

Spent the afternoon painting up 7 Shapeways planes to game standard for the upcoming campaign, just need to see what decals I have I can apply, May have to mix and match a bit with what I have left.

Baz

Smile

I just re decaled the US Spad VII I grabbed from Ebay to give me 3 for the Upcoming stouch.
    I have 3 Albatross D II's to match them to.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. OTT Bold Young men (BYM) Campaign Rules.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2021, 07:43
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2021, 07:48
  4. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  5. OTT Cocky Young Men (CYM) Campaign Rules
    Replies: 6