Ares Games
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mess of the OTT Bold Young Men Campaign 1916

Best wishes and a speedy recovery

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Had to look up Guillain-Barré syndrome ...
    I had to do the same - I had heard of it, but wasn't sure if it was like MS or something else.
    Sorry to see this, Paul. Wishing Mary all the best.

For C & W rolls the rules don't mention a modifier for crashing in enemy territory but there is this:

"Crash landed in No Mans Land or Sea -1 ----Not the safest or smoothest place to land"

We should also do a -1 for crashing in ET for the C&W, right?

Thanks!

Crashing behind enemy lines isn't any more risky as behind your own lines. Getting back to your home aerodrome is more difficult and the -1 is in the E&E roll for being behind enemy lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Crashing behind enemy lines isn't any more risky as behind your own lines. Getting back to your home aerodrome is more difficult and the -1 is in the E&E roll for being behind enemy lines.
    Thanks, Peter! I had come to that same conclusion and deleted my post before I thought any eagle-eyed ninja such as yourself had seen it.

Well fielded that man !
    I releted the post so it makes sense

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Apologies to my fellow pilots for not contributing these last few months but a series of real world events , most recently Mary contracting Guillian Barre syndrome and being hospitalised and in long term rehabilitation , has ment I have neglected the game some what. I hope to be back for the next instalment of the campaign if there is a place available.
    Paul
    Paul I've also been absent due to a 2 month holiday in France with limited wifi and didn't pick up on this. I'm really sorry to hear about your Mary's illness and hope she's now safe and recovering. Like Dave and Pete I had to look up Guillian Barre syndrome which sounds pretty nasty with potentially a longish recovery time that's going to be stressfull for you both. Hope everything is now on an even keel and going well.
    Best wishes to you both.
    Take care.
    John

Hi Chaps
    Please accept my apologies for being AWOL I've been away and didn't get the internet I expected so haven't been able to keep up with things in the Campaign but we're home now so that should change as I slowly catch up.

I'm up for the next scenario but due to a damaged wheel bearing we were delayed a few days getting it fixed and I'm a bit tight for time to post today.

I played my trial game yesterday and it all worked as I hoped, well if having all one sides planes on fire at the same time is ok

I just need to write it down in a coherent manner and draw a pretty map for you to follow. Fingers crossed it will be done in time to post this evening.
    Cheers

Flying Officer Vagabond.

John
    We're nearly all behind with this month's mission, so you are good to go.
    Technically it only needs to be posted June 30/July 1.
    Good to see you back.

Thanks guys for all the best wixhes for Mary.
    She can now feed herself a, but only finely cut up food or mashed veg. she is in a re education centre/hospital where they work on her motor skills to get her hopefully walking again. They estimate 3 to 6 months to get her able to walk independantly, but she contracted Covid while in the original hospital and that has left her tiring very easily. Sytill she has the best care possible and shes a tough , determined lady so we are working for the best possible outcome.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That's good to hear she's making progress, Paul

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    ..I played my trial game yesterday and it all worked as I hoped, well if having all one sides planes on fire at the same time is ok
    I just need to write it down in a coherent manner and draw a pretty map for you to follow. Fingers crossed it will be done in time to post this evening..
    No problem John, whenever you're ready mate !

"He is wise who watches"

Welcome back, John! No rush on my account

Paul, it's great to hear Mary is making progress. Best wishes for her recovery!

She can now feed herself a, but only finely cut up food or mashed veg. she is in a re education centre/hospital where they work on her motor skills to get her hopefully walking again. They estimate 3 to 6 months to get her able to walk independantly, but she contracted Covid while in the original hospital and that has left her tiring very easily. Sytill she has the best care possible and shes a tough , determined lady so we are working for the best possible outcome.
    Paul
    Good to hear your wife is making progress, my best wishes added to everyone else’s.

Paul
    That's good to know Paul, thanks for keeping us up to date. In a former life my wife was an OT and she knew all about Mary's illness and this sounds very positive news.

All the best to you both.

Thanks to you chaps for the welcome back.
    Cheers

Will try to get Mission 12 out tomorrow, a couple of days early, ready for the weekend if I can.

"He is wise who watches"

Will try to get Mission 12 out tomorrow, a couple of days early, ready for the weekend if I can.

Eeeek! I have 9 on the table for this weekend. Looks like another big crunch time before moving on Sept 6th. I'll save packing my planes for last.

Re the next campaign: I'm just pausing for breath & letting chaps catch up while I prepare rosters etc, I'm at Colours wargames show and on hols next month too, amongst other things, so probably after that we'll get started. I have a title in mind...
    but will consider suggestions

"He is wise who watches"

Happy to go with whatever you feel is right. Does the next campaign follow on from the last i.e Jan - Mar 1917. Just checking on what planes I will need.

We usually do but can skip a month or two, maybe start with bloody April & go from there if that's what people want to do.?

"He is wise who watches"

We usually do but can skip a month or two, maybe start with bloody April & go from there if that's what people want to do.?
    That would work for me but happy to go along with what is best for everyone.

If we ran it between Apr-Jun 1917, then that would see the SPAD XIII, Bristol Fighter and the SE5 being introduced over the campaign period for the entente and the Albatros D.V for the central powers. That might balance the forces better.
    Last edited by Hu Rhu; 08-10-2022 at 06:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    ...If we ran it between Apr-Jun 1917, then that would see the SPAD XIII, Bristol Fighter and the SE5 being introduced over the campaign period for the entente and the Albatros D.V for the central powers. That might balance the forces better.
    Indeed, it would also mean any of the wounded will be available, having healed in the rest period.

"He is wise who watches"

Personally, I'd prefer to do Jan - Mar 1917 as we tend to get approximately 3 months ahead of the planes that were historically available and that would allow me to use existing kit, but happy to go along with whatever decision.

Could we do Jan 17 to Jun 17 with fortnightly periods rather than weekly, but happy with either.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Personally, I'd prefer to do Jan - Mar 1917 as we tend to get approximately 3 months ahead of the planes that were historically available and that would allow me to use existing kit, but happy to go along with whatever decision.
    I'm second Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'm second Chris.
    As I said, I'm happy whatever course is chosen.

I lean toward continuing the calendar but will go either way.

Those of you still playing catch up - can you try and get the last missions in as soon as you're able and before the last week of September please, I'm hoping to launch the next phase at the beginning of October so I'd like to clear the books before we start again.
    If you don't intend to play the rest of them out let me know via PM and I can tidy up your rosters and final tally.
    If there are any Eagle fliers who want a change of sides let me know that too, we are light on Bulldogs just now.
    Cheers Uncle

"He is wise who watches"

Hope to have Mary out of hospital by October so chalk me up for the next series.
    If my roster is not complete let me know.
    Update on Mary is that she is learning to walk on a wheeled Zimmer frame. Can do a couple of meters independently and is on a normal diet.
    Hope to get her home for a weekend in the next few months.
    We both thank you all for your best wishes and thoughts.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 08-20-2022 at 04:19.

I plan on catching up. Plan to as much as I can. The whole looking for a house, showing our house to sell and then packing has taken over my life. 3 times I set up mission 9 and had to show the house the next morning so had to put it away. SWMBO must have it all looking perfect to show. My argument that it would add some interest to the otherwise 'magazine' look didn't go well. House is now sold on the 7th of Sept. We move into new place 28th Sept. Between now and then I should have enough opportunities to get in most of the remaining 4 missions I have to fly. (if I haven't packed away what I'll need!)

I plan on playing the last mission in the upcoming week.

Hope to have Mary out of hospital by October so chalk me up for the next series.
    If my roster is not complete let me know..
    Glad to hear Mary is on the mend, if slowly, Paul, I hope she can get home soon and a more normal life can eventually resume.
    I have you on the rosters for the next campaign, your current roster looks complete but PM me if you intend playing anymore missions before the cut off date as, if not, I will finalise the roster.

As for the rest of you chaps I look forward to seeing what is produced in the next few weeks.

"He is wise who watches"

If my roster is not complete let me know.
    Update on Mary is that she is learning to walk on a wheeled Zimmer frame. Can do a couple of meters independently and is on a normal diet.
    Hope to get her home for a weekend in the next few months.
    We both thank you all for your best wishes and thoughts.
    Slow and steady Paul, happy to hear she's coming round.

Good to hear that Mary is progressing. Being on a full diet is a very good sign. Please give her our love from all at Chez Kyte.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Good news on Mary's recovery - hope things continue to improve swiftly.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes, which have been passed on .

Uncle will be away on leave from this weekend back on the 18th so, if you have anything for him get it in now as the Top Office will shut down on Friday.

"He is wise who watches"

Uncle is back in the Top Office - looking to wind up the BYM campaign now with a view to commencing the EYM campaign in the near(ish) future. Last submissions by end of month please, let me know by PM if you're done for this one & I will sort the rosters.
    I will carry everyone's rosters over to EYM but let me know if you want to change sides this time, or, drop out of OTT so I can get them straight & we can work up a rota for scenarios.
    It's been fun, thanks for participating & I hope you'll be able to continue the adventure.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for all your work, Dave
    I have #11 on the table now, trying to finish both before Oct 1. My mom is very ill so I'm traveling to Illinois quite a bit these last couple three months, am heading up tomorrow evening until Tuesday.
    Looking forward to continuing the campaign; I'd prefer to remain Team Adler if possible unless the rosters are too far out of balance.

...looking to wind up the BYM campaign now with a view to commencing the EYM campaign...

Eager
    Ernest
    Ebullient

Enquiring Minds Want to Know

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post

Eager
    Ernest
    Ebullient

Enquiring Minds Want to Know
    Effervescent??

Dave,

I am happy to stay with the central powers. How easy would it be to switch my roster to Austro-Hungarians for the Italian front?

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Thanks for all your work, Dave
    I have #11 on the table now, trying to finish both before Oct 1. My mom is very ill so I'm traveling to Illinois quite a bit these last couple three months, am heading up tomorrow evening until Tuesday.
    Looking forward to continuing the campaign; I'd prefer to remain Team Adler if possible unless the rosters are too far out of balance.
    Thanks for the heads up, Chris, hope your mom feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    ..I am happy to stay with the central powers. How easy would it be to switch my roster to Austro-Hungarians for the Italian front?
    Will you be selecting Austrian-Hungarian pilots ? I dare say it could be done but the opposition might be a bit sparse, name wise that is. .. it's also hard to translate some scenarios across from Western front. I'll look into it though..

Oh, it's Edgy Young Men, by the way...!
    Still looking at the format but ground wise it doesn't appear much was going on in the first three months as both sides recovered from the Somme and Verdun I suppose.
    Leaning toward April - May - Jun, but may have a game for each month before that - this will make the campaign slightly longer but will provide some background to play against.
    Last edited by flash; 09-22-2022 at 11:27.

"He is wise who watches"

Will you be selecting Austrian-Hungarian pilots ? I dare say it could be done but the opposition might be a bit sparse, name wise that is. .. it's also hard to translate some scenarios across from Western front. I'll look into it though...
    Flash,

I don't want to put you to any bother, I'll happily stick with my Adlers on the Western Front.

2 things 1 Happy to stay as Entendre flight with added French pilots as needed.
    2 Mary has improved to the point where she can walk with sticks and a Zimmer so might be on day release next month , hopefully home for Christmas. So will be able to participate more fully in the next campaign.

Pleased to hear she's getting better, Paul, I will wind up your current roster ready for EYM unless you tell me there's another game in the pipeline !

"He is wise who watches"

Happy to stay as it is, looking forward to it. Thanks again for all you do, can I add some Martians to the roster, although their names may be difficult to pronounce?

2 things 1 Happy to stay as Entendre flight with added French pilots as needed.
    2 Mary has improved to the point where she can walk with sticks and a Zimmer so might be on day release next month , hopefully home for Christmas. So will be able to participate more fully in the next campaign.
    Hi Paul,

Hope Mary's recovery continues and that she is home for Christmas.

Uncle is back in the Top Office - looking to wind up the BYM campaign now with a view to commencing the EYM campaign in the near(ish) future. Last submissions by end of month please, let me know by PM if you're done for this one & I will sort the rosters.
    I will carry everyone's rosters over to EYM but let me know if you want to change sides this time, or, drop out of OTT so I can get them straight & we can work up a rota for scenarios.
    It's been fun, thanks for participating & I hope you'll be able to continue the adventure.
    X 'The Turkey' Squadron RNAS will fly again. LoL

Duly noted - along with a new rules thread I have posted a new Mess thread which I will open nearer the start time & this one will be unstuck.

"He is wise who watches"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. OTT Cocky Young Men Campaign 1916
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 05-08-2021, 01:53
  2. OTT Bold Young men (BYM) Campaign Rules.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2021, 07:43
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2021, 07:48
  4. OTT Daring Young Men Campaign 1916
    Replies: 251
    Last Post: 02-19-2020, 07:01
  5. OTT Cocky Young Men (CYM) Campaign Rules
    Replies: 6