Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May Workbench 2021

Default May Workbench 2021

Happy Saturday peeps. Hot off the printer after an overnight run

Junkers 86D, Junkers 87A, Fiat BR20 and Savoia SM79
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Wow, they are fantastic! Are they resin prints Steve?

Very nice crisp prints Steve

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

They look like Plane Printer's stl's for Blood Red Skies, they are very nice. I just love the quality you get with resin. I've not printed out the Ju87A but it looks good, nice for Spanish Civil War.

I'm currently putting together a adaptor joining the Wings of Glory peg to a Blood Red Skies triangle fitting in Blender. Not sure if any one has done one before. Will print some out later, may need some tweaking though I expect.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peg.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	301026

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Wow, they are fantastic! Are they resin prints Steve?
    Yes Wayne, they are resin.

Quote Originally Posted by elffriend View Post
    They look like Plane Printer's stl's for Blood Red Skies, they are very nice. I just love the quality you get with resin. I've not printed out the Ju87A but it looks good, nice for Spanish Civil War.

I'm currently putting together a adaptor joining the Wings of Glory peg to a Blood Red Skies triangle fitting in Blender. Not sure if any one has done one before. Will print some out later, may need some tweaking though I expect.

Name:	peg.jpg 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	301026
    Yes Tim, they are Kampffliegers, aka Plane Printer. Fortunately he has been bringing out some designs for SCW, which I might use at Doncaster. The peg is a good idea, although I just bore a hole in them for a ball bearing.

End of April and the coming May workbench Prep for next OTT campaign: The opposition (First one all but completed), plus some target markers.

Name:	Workbenck end April 2021.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	301027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros DI Jasta 2 Sept 1916 Höhne.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	301028

Made a mistake with the background colour of Höhner's decals, but I'm afraid that will have to remain unchanged.

Nice job Mike, like the look of the ground units in the background.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Very nice Mike.

like the look of the ground units in the background
    Hopefully, these will be the targets for Donnie. Going to try and produce ordinary cards for them too, so they can be flown over easily.

I believe I have attained a new level of modeling sadism. These pictures are of the Fire Control Director on the 1/350 scale Tamiya Fletcher class destroyer as modified using the Infini-Models super detail set. The Infini-Models set comes with three full sheets of fine Photo Etch and 126 machined brass parts. The Fire Control Director shown took over 40 extremely tiny pieces of photo etch, many requiring multiple bends to build.

I find it extremely difficult to hold the tiny parts and glue them together without damaging them, or making a gluey mess.

Name:	IMG_2380.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	301032

Name:	IMG_2385.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	301033

Is seems strange now that 1/200 planes seem big now....

It will probably take me over 100 hours to install the photo etch parts on this model.

Dave, that is some amazing patience. The final model will look amazing! Wozers!

Dave, that's nuts. But props to ya lol.

Dave, life's too short for this, but good on yer

This morning's batch of stuff off the printer are some ships I've done for one of our members here. No doubt they will shortly appear painted on the "site that must not be named".

Hopefully Tim will approve 'cos there are NO SAILS

Currently being printed is another floaty thing, but this one has wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    I believe I have attained a new level of modelling sadism..
    No, that's definitely modelling masochism unless you're making some other poor sod do it for you !
    The men in white coats will be round for you in about 100 hours then Dave.

"He is wise who watches"

Amazing work Dave - full of admiration

Steve, those unmentionable things without sails are superb - very tasty

Wow, great floaty sail-less things Steve! I am amazed at the print detail.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Just finished some more Hellcats, this time VF-17 of the USN. Both are Roc-Works as were the other two I posted.

Name:	20210425_135743.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	301036

Name:	20210425_135803.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	301037

I also finished a Plane Printer/Kampfflieger Beaufighter yesterday. Need to do Coastal Command ones next.

Name:	1a.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	301038

I have been experimenting with oversize planes as well. Here is a B-17 which had the wingtips printed apart from rest of model, the join is not great but its ok. I am sure I can get it better with a couple of more tries. This was Captain Ahabs one.

Name:	2a.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	301039

All good stuff Tim. What scale is the B17 if it won't fit the build plate?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    All good stuff Tim. What scale is the B17 if it won't fit the build plate?
    Its 1/200 scale. I tried various different ways of trying to squeeze it on the build plate, but she is quite a beast, as the picture below shows. I added some pegs and holes in Blender to keep everything lined up when I glued the parts together. Worked quite well but needs some more work. Another alternative is cut the wings of at the root and glue them but I am not good enough in the software to do that yet.

Name:	b-17.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	301049

The outside of the wings on the plane drooped slightly so there is a shallow V in the join. I think it needs some more supports to keep it straight as it cures on the build plate.

Tim, those are some very sharp models, amd nicely finished! It must be quite satisfying to build them from the ground up.

Some really great work, Elffriend. Thank you for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    I believe I have attained a new level of modeling sadism...
    I have never seen anything so terrifying... I have sweaty palms just looking at those pictures.

Super stuff on this thread so far!

This 3D print wizardry is awesome (yes, even the boaty-McBoat-face bits).
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by elffriend View Post
    Its 1/200 scale. I tried various different ways of trying to squeeze it on the build plate, but she is quite a beast, as the picture below shows. I added some pegs and holes in Blender to keep everything lined up when I glued the parts together. Worked quite well but needs some more work. Another alternative is cut the wings of at the root and glue them but I am not good enough in the software to do that yet.

The outside of the wings on the plane drooped slightly so there is a shallow V in the join. I think it needs some more supports to keep it straight as it cures on the build plate.
    Well, if it works then fair enough

Today's print effort is a Heinkel 59b bound for the Spanish Civil War. A second one will do Air Sea Rescue duty in the Channel in 1940.

Oh damn you Steve! I am trying so hard not to by a resin printer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    Oh damn you Steve! I am trying so hard not to by a resin printer!!
    Come over to the dark side, we have cookies

Today's print effort is a Heinkel 59b bound for the Spanish Civil War. A second one will do Air Sea Rescue duty in the Channel in 1940.

Wait, wait, what???????? THAT is a print? Ques: 1) what printer 2)who sells those files and 3) have you done any WWI, and do they look like that? That does NOT look like a print.......it's waaaay too smoooth!
    Nice work Steve.

Some more 3D printing magic. Ordered some of Decapod's Albatros D.V's from Shapeways in what is listed as "Smooth Fine Detailed Plastic". It says it's 3D printed in matte translucent plastic that showcases fine and intricate details. I wanted to see how they looked, how smooth were they, and is it worth the extra cost to me?

It is very translucent, very detailed, and smooth as a baby's behind. It's as smooth as a painted Ares model is to the touch. Thought I'd share a few comparison photos.

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	301077

Note the top wing is lower, the landing gear are properly proportioned, and the engine is much more true to the real thing.

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	301078

The struts are all finely done, not slab sided. The fuselage is correctly proportioned in comparison to an actual photo of an Albatros.

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	301079

The only preparation will be to wash them and prime them. They are so strangely translucent that you can't actually see all the details that I suspect will pop out once primed with something.

Worth $23 USD each? I'm really impressed. BUT... I will actually have to prime one, put the prop on and see if I can easily attach a ball bearing for a gimbal mount. I don't want to drill this thing for a peg, though they feel absolutely stout and not the least bit fragile or brittle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brak Morn View Post
    Wait, wait, what???????? THAT is a print? Ques: 1) what printer 2)who sells those files and 3) have you done any WWI, and do they look like that? That does NOT look like a print.......it's waaaay too smoooth!
    Nice work Steve.
    Thanks. So.....
    It's an Elegoo Saturn resin printer
    The file is from Plane Printer on Patreon.com. You subscribe to the designer and can download any of his files. Plane Printer subscription costs about £6 a month in proper money, IIRC.
    I've got a file set up to do a Knoller C2, Oeffag C2, Mosca MB and an AD2 Scout. Watch this space
    Once you have dialled in your printer correctly re layer height, exposure, etc, and worked out the angle that you should be printing the object at, this will reduce or eliminate any stepping. It took me a fair amount of time to get all this figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Some more 3D printing magic. Ordered some of Decapod's Albatros D.V's from Shapeways in what is listed as "Smooth Fine Detailed Plastic". It says it's 3D printed in matte translucent plastic that showcases fine and intricate details. I wanted to see how they looked, how smooth were they, and is it worth the extra cost to me?

It is very translucent, very detailed, and smooth as a baby's behind. It's as smooth as a painted Ares model is to the touch. Thought I'd share a few comparison photos.

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	301077

Note the top wing is lower, the landing gear are properly proportioned, and the engine is much more true to the real thing.

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	301078

The struts are all finely done, not slab sided. The fuselage is correctly proportioned in comparison to an actual photo of an Albatros.

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	301079

The only preparation will be to wash them and prime them. They are so strangely translucent that you can't actually see all the details that I suspect will pop out once primed with something.

Worth $23 USD each? I'm really impressed. BUT... I will actually have to prime one, put the prop on and see if I can easily attach a ball bearing for a gimbal mount. I don't want to drill this thing for a peg, though they feel absolutely stout and not the least bit fragile or brittle.
    Nice to see you can now get a decent finish from Shapeways, even if it does cost an arm and a leg. Look forward to seeing the finished model Jeff.

Nice to see you can now get a decent finish from Shapeways, even if it does cost an arm and a leg. Look forward to seeing the finished model Jeff.
    I will try to get one primed and post a picture of the details on the model. They are there, but you can't photograph them in this finish.
    It will be a bit as we are currently having A FREAKIN' BLIZZARD at my house. Stupid spring in the stupid mountains...

BTW your 3D print is OUTSTANDING. Massive detail level on that thing.

You getting one of those, Burton?!

Thnx for the info Steve. This printing stuff is just getting harder & harder to ignore. Beauty of a print Jeff, but a tad beyond this pohboy's wallet. I have a problem seeing those fine ships-of-the-line also. *sigh* All new WoG1 work on hold while I'm flagging/basing the latest 10mm ESR Borodino (For ESR, both armies amount to: 5000+ foot, 1300+ horse, and 140 cannon & crew)(should be finished 3-4 years after I'm dead) order from one of my painters in U.K. Love the Russian battalions, at two @%$#*& flags per. Not enough time, not enough money, and eyes that get too large.............
    cheers boyz.

It's an Elegoo Saturn resin printer
    The file is from Plane Printer on Patreon.com. You subscribe to the designer and can download any of his files. Plane Printer subscription costs about £6 a month in proper money, IIRC.
    Maybe Herr Oberst should get one of those - I can't justify the expense, but would definitely order models with that kind of quality from him.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno
    Sorties Flown

There are really beautiful things to see around here this month !

Been busy I see. Love the ships and am curious on the masts. Seems printed ones would be way too fragile unless you printed your horizonal beams (spars??) and used a metal rod for the mast proper. Maybe do a connector for the 2 piece masts. Always been fond of B 17's so like that one also.

Ken, I've printed some masts out and they were more resilient than I thought they would be, although obviously not as strong as a metal mast. A resin with flexible properties might help, but I haven't tried those.

Amazing work coming from these printers

This 3D print wizardry is awesome (yes, even the boaty-McBoat-face bits).
    Steady there Tim, that almost snuck under the radar without comment. You'll be wanting a boaty-McBoat face bit yet

OK I'll do it for you -

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    OK I'll do it for you -
    Thanks for that, Mike!

I've just rediscovered my painting mojo, and don't want to risk injuring a hand right now.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Steve, very nice looking 3D prints. I have some 3D-resin minis but haven't done anything other than look at them. They look like they will be fairly easy to clean and prep.

Spanish Civil War markings for the Br.20 and SM.79 are on my list. I hope to start on them in mid-May.

Here's my 3D printed box of shame.

Possibly for the June workbench as there's no room on the May one

Name:	IMG_20210505_155041769.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	301174

Name:	index-finger-pointing-png-clipart-arm-computer-icons-desktop-shame-finger-png-728_542.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	301175

Not really - awesome 3d printy goodies!

Many of us would gladly accept your box of shame if you truly feel that way about it.

Impressive Steve.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

All this 3D print stuff is awesome.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    All this 3D print stuff is awesome.
    Too right!

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    Steve, very nice looking 3D prints. I have some 3D-resin minis but haven't done anything other than look at them. They look like they will be fairly easy to clean and prep.

Spanish Civil War markings for the Br.20 and SM.79 are on my list. I hope to start on them in mid-May.
    Excellent news. I'll hold off off ordering the SCW He 111 and Ju 87A decals then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your January workbench? 2021
    By Karo7 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-17-2022, 05:46
  2. April Workbench 2021
    By decapod in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 05-12-2021, 13:03
  3. February Workbench 2021
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room