Ares Games

Thread: How to perform a successful bombing ?

Default How to perform a successful bombing ?

It is well stated in the bombing rules that no measurements may be made to assess the success of a bomb release.
    So what follows should be considered as a visual approximation that an experienced pilot would use before dropping his destructive load. By the way, at that time engineers were beginning to develop more and more precise bomb aiming and dropping systems.
    But this is not a hidden cheating operation !
    It is not a question of putting cards between the plane and its target to measure their distance.
    The goal is to visually assess the distance between the plane and its target using the length of the playing cards.

On the tables picture (below), the space between the horizontal lines represents the length of a card.
    It shows the number of cards (taken lengthwise) separating the red dot on the target card to be bombed and the base of the plane when the bombing is announced and before performing the first maneuver (straight/turn or stall) of the bombing sequence.

To be sure to hit the bull's-eye (red dot covered by the bomb card), you must announce the bombing when the front of the plane's base is in the light gray zone.
    Further forward of this zone, it is too late, the bomb will pass the red point.
    Behind this zone, the plane is too far, the bomb will fall in front of the red point.
    The destruction of the target will only be partial if the red dot is not covered by the bomb card.

Note : If the first maneuver is a turn (then, a straight will be placed in front of the plane to place the bomb, see basic bombing rule), the number of separation cards will be the same as long as we "measure" from the middle of the front edge of the base (where the small black line is in the middle of the shooting cone).

Example : a K deck plane at altitude 2, may announce the bombardment before performing a straight line (or a turn) if the base is at a distance from its target (red point) between 3 cards farthest and 2 cards + 1 centimeter closest.
    If there are only 2 cards away, the bomb may fall behind the red point (half damaged if the red point is not covered but the target card is partially covered).
    So if there are 2 and a half cards, you are sure to hit the target !

Last edited by monse; 04-30-2021 at 23:24.

This is incredibly helpful, for new players especially. I usually find myself holding up a maneuver card well away from the table, and estimating ranges based on that, when I'm on a bombing run. Rep for the effort!

Good work, Simon! That is very useful for practising bombing.

Excellent job, Simon.
    Unfortunately my rep is jammed in the bomb rack.

Fantastic Monse . Tu per met dans les donnes" files "peut etre sur le site ?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That's very useful, I'm a bit like Zenlizard, holding the card and assessing the distance but trying not to get too close to the table in case I think I'm cheating myself.

Similar Missions

1. Successful Sortie to the RAF Museum
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-24-2017, 03:04
  2. Why Were German WWII Aces So Successful
    By degodave in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-23-2016, 14:26
  3. How to perform a loop?
    By LOOP in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-31-2014, 23:50
  4. Sopwith Camel B6313 - Maybe the most successful ever?
    By Womble in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 21:12
  5. Successful mission!
    By Harry Tate in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 02:49