Ares Games

Thread: Additional damage counters types?

Default Additional damage counters types?

Suppose we were to introduce 2-3 additional damage counter types to add variation in certain gunnery situations. What choices would be worth the effort?

For example:

A-
    more zeroes, reduced accuracy, e.g. for bomber defensive guns?

C+
    same zeroes but higher damage score and/or more fire special damage, e.g. for german Minen-Geschoss?

other ideas?

I've looked at this post a few times, but not posted. I suspect a few members have done the same.

Initially, I wasn't going to answer, as I don't find the damage counters to be an issue. More types of damage counters adds complexity, where Wings of Glory was designed to limit that, IMHO.

There is room for some granularity in damage. Some single, low-rate-of-fire guns are not well represented, if IIRC. Example is Bomber "A" damage weapons not having a lower damage at long range.

That being said, I'm fine with the lack of granularity, for the lack of extra things of which to keep track.

Once, when I needed to shorten a game during a convention (time slots being finite), I removed all the zero cards from a damage deck. Very, very brutal. Planes fell out of the sky in minutes. The players were amazed, as was I.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-01-2021 at 07:53.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I'm also wary of over-complicating a simple game. But there are points where I'd like to see more granularity in game results.

I would like to weaken bomber defensive fire vs. fighters. It seems to me that in real life, flexible MGs were much less accurate than a fighter's fixed guns. I have an idea of rolling a d6 for every bomber defensive shot: if the dice roll is even, the target takes a damage chit of the appropriate type, but if the dice roll is odd, the target doesn't draw a chit.

I haven't yet tried this trick on the game table.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    I've looked at this post a few times, but not posted. I suspect a few members have done the same.

Initially, I wasn't going to answer, as I don't find the damage counters to be an issue. More types of damage counters adds complexity, where Wings of Glory was designed to limit that, IMHO.

There is room for some granularity in damage. Some single, low-rate-of-fire guns are not well represented, if IIRC. Example is Bomber "A" damage weapons not having a lower damage at long range.

That being said, I'm fine with the lack of granularity, for the lack of extra things of which to keep track.

Once, when I needed to shorten a game during a convention (time slots being finite), I removed all the zero cards from a damage deck. Very, very brutal. Planes fell out of the sky in minutes. The players were amazed, as was I.
    Sure I don't want to mess around with proven working rules. In fact I tend to play any game exactly as per official rules. One exception I adopt is the no-shooting-after reversal house rule, which I really think is a benefit for the game.
    This was just loud thinking... what if...in some distant future Ares 2.0 with Angiolino 2.0 decided to come up with WoG 2.0? Would there be any
    reasonable change to the granularity of the shooting mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by zippyfusenet View Post
    I have an idea of rolling a d6 for every bomber defensive shot: if the dice roll is even, the target takes a damage chit of the appropriate type, but if the dice roll is odd, the target doesn't draw a chit.

I haven't yet tried this trick on the game table.
    ... or more in line with the no-dice philosophy of the game, as per solo AA-guns: draw a A-counter to check if the aim is correct, if value is 2 or higher pick the appropriate damage counter.

Similar Missions

1. WWII Damage Counters
    By BobP in forum T&T: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-06-2019, 15:25
  2. Acquiring additional damage decks?
    By BwanaJoe in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-10-2018, 10:43
  3. Damage counters questions
    By Roger Wilco in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6