Ares Games

Thread: OTTCYM - Mission 11 - Attack Plane Surprise - Sept 19th 1916 - teaticket

Default OTTCYM - Mission 11 - Attack Plane Surprise - Sept 19th 1916 - teaticket

(One of the tandems I flew was a Roland C.II but was used as an Albatros C.III. It caught my eye on the shelf when I was getting my Fokkers. I just had to put it on the table, what can I say.)

Ltn. Rudolf Mulzer lead the strafing mission with Ltn. Dieter Rosenfeldt occupying his back seat.
    Right behind them, piloting the light blue Albatros was Obltn. Hans Steinhäuser with Ltn. Gottfried Esswein as observer.

The mission to strafe the enemy trenches and cause as much mayhem as possible went rather smoothly. Were the Poilu confused at the low flying aircraft thinking they were friendly? That should have ended quickly once they were fired upon. Were they low on ammunition and not putting up the usual wall of bullets? Either way, the pair of Eagle tandems were happy to return from the strafing runs with no real damage to their aircraft or themselves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	300675

Just as they were making their last pass and about to turn for home they were jumped by three Nieuports.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	300676

The Frenchmen could have crept in closer as coming in with the sun at their backs they were unseen. Maybe they got excited and fired too soon, and they did with little effect other than to alert the Hun that they were there.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	300677

“OY”! Steinhäuser screamed when he saw tracers flying past him with the immediately realization what was happening.
    Esswein checked his Parabellum and readied it for action.

Mulzer and Rosenfeldt were surprised to hear machine gun fire. They turned to look back and did not like what they saw diving down on them.

While looking back Mulzer then heard the zip of incoming rounds piercing the canvas on his wings. He jerked his head around to find a tricolor Nieuport diving down to his front!

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	300678

Off to the east were Ltn. Alfred Müller and Ltn. Reinhold Schäfer on patrol about to reach the lines. They spotted some activity ahead and flew closer to investigate. Once close enough they realized it was a pair of their own tandems being attacked by a swarm of French N11s. They knew they had to help and closed the distance as quickly as they could.

Name:	1.jpg 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	300679

Esswein sprayed a burst towards the closest Nieuport. No serious damage but enough to distract it’s shooting at him.

Name:	7.jpg 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	300680

Mulzer and the tricolor traded bursts at close range. Both felt their controls stiffen a bit with the Nieuport taking a bit more damage.

Name:	6.jpg 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	300681

Esswein takes aim and plugs the French pilot just before he is engulfed with black smoke.

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	300682

Steinhäuser licks his chops as the tricolor flies right past his nose. Hans’ rounds hit heavily on the engine and the tricolor sputters as it loses power.
    (not sure where that +1 counter came from! This trips me up as you'll soon see.)

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	300683

Rosenfeldt has a perfect line up the tail of the Nieuport and pours lead into it.

The Nieuport lurches downward in an uncontrolled spin. The Frenchman fights to get his plane under control and disappears out of sight.

Rosenfeldt shakes a fist at the tricolor thinking he has a kill.

Baux miraculously gets control of his spinning aircraft just before is slams into the ground. With the severe damage Baux know how lucky he is and heads for the barn.

(I can’t give a kill credit as at this point only 9 points of damage have hit the N11. Somehow while playing I thought it was 10. I will count it as Forced From The Battle instead of a kill.)

Name:	10.jpg 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	300684

The pair of Fokkers finally reach the fray.

Schäfer’s gun immediately jams, giving the Frenchman an easy shot. Dubois doesn’t hesitate and shoots into the helpless Fokker flying right in front of him.

Müller watches in horror as flames pour out of the Schäffer’s engine.

Name:	11.jpg 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	300685

Esswein and his tormentor keep trading long range shots. No critical hits but the small damage begins to add up.

Name:	12.jpg 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	300686

Müller can’t get a clean shot as Schäfer is too close to his enemy. He quickly aims at another Nieuport but the quick shot hits nothing but air.

Two Nieuports now fire upon the blue Albatros and hit the engine as well as the controls.

Esswein puts up some stiff resistance and keeps hurting the closest Nieuport to him.

Name:	13.jpg 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	300687

Name:	14.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	300688

Steinhäuser prays that Müller and Schäfer can engage these Nieuports and take them off his back. He can feel the Albatros weakening under the continued attacks.

Name:	15.jpg 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	300689

Müller, now clear of Schäfer, has a clear shot at the red N11. He takes an extra moment to line it up. The little Nieuport takes some serious damage.

Name:	16.jpg 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	300690

The red Nieuport turns to try to shake Müller but cannot get away from the stream of bullets.

Name:	18.jpg 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	300691

The fire takes a bite out of the Fokker D.II.

Name:	17.jpg 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	300692

The damage to Lienhart’s Nieuport (marked Tasse) has reached it’s limit. Lienhart turns for home hoping he can nurse his badly shot up plane back to base.
    Esswein has other ideas and delivers the final blow to the N11.

Name:	19.jpg 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	300693

Müller sees the Albatros in trouble but takes one more shot at the red Nieuport before turning off.

Name:	23.jpg 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	300694

Dubois turns to help his wingman but a little too late as Lienhart has fallen. Esswein quickly adjusts to the new incoming Frenchman and hit the pilot, knocking him unconscious.

Name:	20.jpg 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	300695

As Dubois blacks out, he falls forward and pushes the firing button. Steinhäuser feels a hammer blow to his shoulder as the struggling Albatros can take no more and slips from the sky. Little do Steinhäuser and Esswein know they were shot down as a result of Esswein’s own shot.

Name:	21.jpg 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	300696

The wounded Barbaza (marked Martin) grimaces in pain during his Immelmann maneuver. The pain prevents him from taking what would have been an easy shot at the Hun.

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	300697

Müller and Rosenfeldt try to take out their revenge on the drifting Nieuport but it flies straight on.

Rosenfeldt slaps his jammed gum thinking he had his second kill slip through his fingers.

The Nieuport takes Dubois away from the battle, probably saving his life.

Dubois is shaken to when the Nieuport crashes in no-mans-land about a mile from where he was shot.

Name:	25.jpg 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	300698

Name:	27.jpg 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	300699

Name:	32.jpg 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	300700

Schäfer’s fire lessens as he twists and turns.

Name:	26.jpg 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	300701

Barbaza, wounded and his red N11 barely able to stay in the air, heads for home. Seeing a burning Fokker in the distance he thinks he is home free.

Name:	28.jpg 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	300702

Müller won’t let the Frenchman off so easy and sends him down into no mans land.

Name:	29.jpg 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	300703

Schäfer’s fire ends with minimal damage.

Name:	30.jpg 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	300704

Schäfer and Müller form up above and behind Mulzer and Rosenfeldt. The trio hurry home as fast at they can to bring the bad news about Steinhäuser and Esswein.

Name:	31.jpg 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	300705

Butcher’s Bill

Bouledogues de la Republique

Name:	37.jpg 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	300706
    Cpl. Basile Baux: FRTB-E 0 Kills (FRTB Not shot down!)
    FRTB rolled 2 & 6 = landed safely

Name:	38.jpg 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	300707
    Sgt Marie Dubois: SD-NML / WIA 1 Kill
    C 12 -1SD -1(wia) -1(nml) = 9 - All's well when you land well
    E 4 1-(wia) +1(nml) = 4 captured but escapes! 3 = Miss 2 Missions

Name:	39.jpg 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	300708
    s/Lt Pierre Lienhart: SD WIA NML 0 Kills (subbed for Tasse)
    C 12 -1(sd) -1(wia) -1(nml) = 9 All's well when you land well
    E 8 -1(wia) -1(wic) +1(nml) = 7 - Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario

Name:	40.jpg 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	300709
    s/Lt Jean Barbaza: SD NML 0 Kills (subbed for Martin)
    C 10 -1(sd) -1(nml) = 8 injured, 4 = Miss 2 Missions
    E 8 -1(wic) +1(nml) = 8 - - Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario

Kaiser’s Eagles

Name:	33.jpg 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	300710
    ObLtn. Hans Steinhäuser: SD FT WIA 0 Kills
    C 9 -1(sd) -1(wia) = 7 injured, 1 = Miss 1 Mission

Ltn. Gottfried Esswein: SD FT 1 Kill
    C 5 -1(sd) = 4 injured, 6 = Miss 6 Missions

Name:	34.jpg 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	300716
    Ltn. Rudolf Mulzer: (P2) RTB 0 Kills

Ltn. Dieter Rosenfeldt: (O) RTB 0 Kills

Name:	35.jpg 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	300711
    Ltn. Reinhold Schäfer: RTB 0 Kills

Name:	36.jpg 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	300712
    Ltn. Alfred Müller: RTB 2 Kills

Mission score
    Entente
    1 plane shot down 3
    Total 3

Germans
    3 planes shot down 6
    2 planes FRTB 1 tandem home 3
    Total 12

Eagle victory!
    Last edited by flash; 04-28-2021 at 00:51. Reason: Tally Adjust

Superb scrap Peter, most exciting - I don't get why Marie Dubois crashed though, he should be FRTB-W or did I miss something ?

Onkel says:

Well done Eagles you saved the day - at least for one tandem crew and sent the Bulldogs off with a flea in their ear.

The Eagles tally was great, the Bulldogs not so much. Lt. Etienne Martin is a P2, Cpl Oscar Tasse isn't even a pilot and I don't know what to make of Dubois' fate, he wasn't shot down but he crashed apparently.. was that result of a FRTB roll ? Let me know and I'll fix the roster. Meantime I've subbed in Lienhart & Barbaza as pilot casualties for this mission.
    Ltn Gottfried Esswein is awarded the Iron cross 1st class for his service & victory for the Kaiser
    Ltn Alfred Müller is awarded the Iron cross 2nd class for his 3rd & 4th victory for the Kaiser

Meanwhile on t'other side
    Sgt Marie Dubois is awarded War Cross with silver star (Croix de Guerre étoile de argent) (CdGs) for his second victory in defence of the Republic.
    Last edited by flash; 04-27-2021 at 00:04.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Good show Peter! A victory for the Amazing Eagles!

Dave, I thought the scenario said if he (Dubois) doesn't fly of his edge he crashes in NML?

"Bulldog planes must exit the far left side of No Man’s Land board to be in Entente territory and to attempt a safe landing. If they exit the top or bottom of the No Man’s land board they are considered crashed in No Man’s Land."

As he was wounded near the edge and had to fly straight, he had to crash by scenario rule. (I only use the wounded pilot optional rule when they get the serious wound sending them home.)

How I had Martin and Tasse fly is beyond me! Good to use Lienhart and Barbaza instead! Note to self, do not have 2 beers ever again before flying a mission!

Correct Peter. You played the board rules as written.

Glad to see you got one of your two seaters home. Both of mine went down!!! CRASH!!!!

That was a nail-biter for sure, Peter.

All those wounded airmen going down I was sure we would see several KIA but luck was with them all.
    Well except Esswein who will have a lot of time to read his favourite novels in recuperation ...

Another fabulous victory for our Adler!

Loved seeing the colourful French aircraft - they never get to the table for me because my foes are always Brits (or colonials).
    [Well I do have a pair of French Strutters in the mix, but no scouts)

REP incoming

Yes, a lot of WIA in this one. I warily expected a few KIA but the rolls were very kind indeed. They all got off relatively easy except for Esswein.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Dave, I thought the scenario said if he (Dubois) doesn't fly of his edge he crashes in NML?
    "Bulldog planes must exit the far left side of No Man’s Land board to be in Entente territory and to attempt a safe landing. If they exit the top or bottom of the No Man’s land board they are considered crashed in No Man’s Land."
    As he was wounded near the edge and had to fly straight, he had to crash by scenario rule. (I only use the wounded pilot optional rule when they get the serious wound sending them home.)
    How I had Martin and Tasse fly is beyond me! Good to use Lienhart and Barbaza instead! Note to self, do not have 2 beers ever again before flying a mission!
    Gotcha, been long a while since I read the BRF. Well that's a stupid rule that got past me. I think if he crashes in NML it'll be seen so he's shot down & credited to whoever did it: a second for Herr Müller.
    4 victories in two missions - he's becoming one to watch !
    Last edited by flash; 04-27-2021 at 00:14.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Good game Peter, shame about Gottfried Esswein, I was rootin for him as he seemed to be dooing a good job for your chaps. Still he got his victory and time to reflect on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I think if he crashes in NML it'll be seen so he's shot down & credited to whoever did it: a second for Herr Müller.
    Sounds like a good idea there Flash! Will have to add that to the next mission if I use the same rules.

Nice to see your colourful French planes in action, Peter - along side Schafer's and Muller's 'black on white' striped and 'white on black' striped planes (or was it vice versa).

Super job.

Four victories, eh? A Super-Dave-Osborne great job - but, fortunately, only for the opposition. Drinks in the mess.

Well, well, the Bouledogues de la Republique got a right hammering there, but happily all of the pilots survived. Fine performances from the Eagles so congratulations to them. Well done on all of the gongs too. Drinks on them I assume

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Gotcha, been long a while since I read the BRF. Well that's a stupid rule that got past me. I think if he crashes in NML it'll be seen so he's shot down & credited to whoever did it: a second for Herr Müller.
    I didn't expect him to get credit for Dubois but he ended up the last to hit him so I guess that's right. I forgot Müller shot him again after Rosnefeldt's wound shot. Looks like he's buying a few rounds tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Good game Peter, shame about Gottfried Esswein, I was rootin for him as he seemed to be dooing a good job for your chaps. Still he got his victory and time to reflect on it as well.
    Luckily Esswein will be back. My tandem crews have run up quite a score so I'd not like to lose one of the shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Nice to see your colourful French planes in action, Peter - along side Schafer's and Muller's 'black on white' striped and 'white on black' striped planes (or was it vice versa).

Super job.

Four victories, eh? A Super-Dave-Osborne great job - but, fortunately, only for the opposition. Drinks in the mess.
    Müller is climbing in the ranks quickly. Faster than I thought as I had credited him with only 1 victory. (Thanks Dave!) One more mission....will he make ace?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Well, well, the Bouledogues de la Republique got a right hammering there, but happily all of the pilots survived. Fine performances from the Eagles so congratulations to them. Well done on all of the gongs too. Drinks on them I assume
    N11s going up against those 14 point tandem brutes is nasty. The running battle between Esswein and Tasse...I mean Lienhart was one for the books. Sadly for Lienhart when he had to turn for home he took the one more he could not afford to take. Time for the N17s to have their chance before the SPAD VIIs take the baton.
    Rounds definitely on Müller.

Thumbs up

A really great action filled AAR Peter which I enjoyed reading.
    It had the lot Fires & WIA's & lucky escapes!
    I must secont the comments on your Aircraft. Loved the colourful French Nieuports & especially the 2 Fok D.11's. Great painting mate.

Have some well deserved Rep!

Nice plane mix and very good action shots. Excellent melee all round.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2021, 09:34
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-17-2021, 13:22
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2021, 06:05
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-12-2021, 06:18
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-28-2021, 20:25