Ares Games

Thread: WWI Movies

Default WWI Movies

From combatace.com In German but very good footage.

https://www.deutsche-digitale-biblio...L3QHMNHFE3KSON

Great find Gary - nice piece of filming of and from the Jasta 9 machines. They look like Alb D.I's - the crossed swords are in red & belong to Vzfw Kohler's machine, I'm not sure but the check motif might belong to Kurt Student's who commanded the unit until March 1918.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagdstaffel_9
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Student
    This is the header for the film:
    Part of the airfield of Jasta 9; Orders issued by the squadron leader; Start of the "Albatros CV" for enemy flight; Aerial photography of localities; Encounter with captive balloons; Dogfight with enemy biplane and crash; "Albatros CV" lands next to the burning aircraft wreck; Return of the fighters; Aviator grave with propeller as a grave cross for Wilhelm Schlolaut, fallen on November 12th, 1916; Aerial recordings from the front area. 2nd part field gun firing on enemy positions; Explosion in the area and occupation of the explosive funnel by storm troops; Use of hand grenades against enemy foxholes; storm troop taking cover in open terrain; Breakthrough through hostile wire obstacle; Use of flamethrowers; three German soldiers freed from captivity; long train with French prisoners; German troops

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I wonder what the two-engine airplane is at 2:14 in the film?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Looks like it has two engine nacelles & the top plane is much bigger than the lower one so should be identifiable.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Great find Gary - nice piece of filming of and from the Jasta 9 machines. They look like Alb D.I's - the crossed swords are in red & belong to Vzfw Kohler's machine, I'm not sure but the check motif might belong to Kurt Student's who commanded the unit until March 1918.
    The aircraft are Albatros D.IIs; unusually fitted with mudguards over the wheels. Kohler's is an LVG-built machine (distinctive wing camo visible when viewed from behind, taking off, no Serial Number on the fin).

Kohler's crossed scimitars are sometimes rendered in red and sometimes in black on reconstruction profiles; Cal Faber's "Aviation Wings" decal sheet for Albatros D.II Part 1 has them in black (but my Jasta 2 research has highlighted many mistakes on these sheets ).
    Kurt Student's check motif was in red and white.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I wonder what the two-engine airplane is at 2:14 in the film?
    It looks like a Caudron G4 to me - used later on in the "dogfight" footage.

The whole thing appears to have been staged for the camera; the fighters taking off, followed by the "victim".
    The flaming wreckage crashing to earth is unrecognisable as an aeroplane, and the burning wreckage on the ground looks too small to be the Caudron (which, presumably, subsequently flew back to the airfield, its German pilot not having a parachute!).

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    From combatace.com In German but very good footage.

https://www.deutsche-digitale-biblio...L3QHMNHFE3KSON
    Fantastic find, Gary!

Many thanks, and a bit of Rep, for sharing it!

Great find Gary !
    Thanks

Wow, great share Gary. Looks like stages filming, propoganda film for the homefront?

Similar Missions

1. General WWI in the Movies
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-13-2017, 04:48
  2. Movies
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 12:29
  3. MOVIES
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13