Ares Games

Thread: Good Fiction?

Default Good Fiction?

Looking for some good WWI war in the air fiction.

Anyone have recommendations?

I just finished a series of 5 books by N L Collier. The last four are war in the air and the first in the trenches. The first was called Home before the leaves fall.

The Blue Max, Jack Hunter.

Winged Victory, V. M. Yeates. A novel, but technically it's semi-autobiographical. Written in 1934, the author was with 46 Sqn and flew Camels in 1918. One of my favorites of all the WWI books I've read.
    Last edited by malachi; 04-21-2021 at 07:53.

Great recommendations. Thank-you.

Anyone else with others?

Dare I mention the Biggles books by Captain W.E.Johns? They are not gritty adult reading but I enjoyed them greatly when I was younger and they got me interested in aircraft. The WW1 stories have titles like 'Biggles Learns to Fly', 'The Camels are Coming', 'Biggles-The Rescue Flight', 'Biggles flies East', 'Biggles Pioneer Air Fighter', 'Biggles of 266'. 'Biggles of the Camel Squadron', 'Biggles in France'. Some are novels and some are collections of short stories. The short stories tend to get repackaged under different titles.

Whatever you buy may I suggest you get the E-Reader format as it is so much cheaper.

RE Biggles. Just moved to Hertford and just next door to the chip shop is a blue plaque saying that W E Johns, author of the Biggles stories lived here. Think his father was a tailor and they lived sbove the shop. WOW

Similar Missions

1. Fiction on the Forum
    By Flying Helmut in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2020, 07:32
  2. Fact or Fiction 6
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 15:42
  3. Fact or Fiction 3
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 12