Ares Games
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Night Raid on London play by PM Game

All Germans roll a d20 landing save with those beasts. 15+ and you're safe

Fun game, Sam, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    All Germans roll a d20 landing save with those beasts. 15+ and you're safe ...
    Only if you do the same for a night landing ...

"He is wise who watches"

Bloody good show Sam, well done on all your efforts and keeping us all abreast on what was going on over London.

"He is wise who watches"

But it was a very close thing for Flash...had that last AA burst been a hit: I peeked, there was a boom card waiting for him. By scenario special rule, that would have dealt 9 more points of damage, added to the 18 head already had against...exactly enough to knock him out of the sky. Literal luck of the draw.

“Lucky” Flash, my antithesis!

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    But it was a very close thing for Flash...had that last AA burst been a hit: I peeked, there was a boom card waiting for him. By scenario special rule, that would have dealt 9 more points of damage, added to the 18 head already had against...exactly enough to knock him out of the sky. Literal luck of the draw.

“Lucky” Flash, my antithesis!
    I will be first to admit I have been very lucky with the damage cards in all the games, as most of the GM's can attest.

"He is wise who watches"

Is anyone willing to step up and run the next game? I can't commit to set one up for a few weeks.

Got nothing ready but could clear my table and run another simple dogfight in a day or two if there's any interest in one?

Happy to have another go at any game. I think it was a sports saying that said “the more I play the luckier I get”

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Got nothing ready but could clear my table and run another simple dogfight in a day or two if there's any interest in one?
    If you build it, they will come !

"He is wise who watches"

Did someone say another game? Where? When?

Clearing my gaming table and working on a scenario tomorrow. Will get something posted by the end of the weekend.

I could go for another game.

Nice one Andy

"He is wise who watches"

Do we get a final result...

...beside the fact that I lost 4 planes in 4 games?
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

...beside the fact that I lost 4 planes in 4 games?
    We can start our own club up, lol

I am always interested in another game!!!!!

Thanks for picking up the ball Andy. If there's room I'd love to play. I should be able to run one again in June.

Put me in if space is available.
    I'd like to see those who haven't played yet get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Put me in if space is available.
    I'd like to see those who haven't played yet get a chance.
    Indeed - I’ve flown a few, and some I’ve still been there at the end. But happy to subs bench to make space.

Have a germ of an idea to work on and hoping to have room for twelve players so should be plenty of spaces available.

Sorry about the lack of report, it's been a busy couple of days. Hope tomorrow will be less insandely busy, and I can do the write-up.

The promised final report:
    I started from a position that I wanted something different from the usual “both sides rush at each other, and start shooting head-on.” I also wondered if I could work in something that reflected some real-world considerations, like the importance of spotting your enemy first. Ah! Night raid on London: historical, random entry means not rushing headlong at each other, and well, add sighting rules, and mechanics! Easy, right?
    I think it was Teaticket who had asked me a little before the start, for at least a hint a what I had in mind. The hint was: “Think Big.” Follow-on question was, “By big, do you mean Zeppelin-Staakens, or do you mean a lot of airplanes?” My answer: “Yes.”
    There were some other considerations that I also worked in: I pre-selected the German targets, picking out things near the river that were significant to both sides, and again, a bit of realistic history. In flying at night, the standout between a landmark and a river is easier to see than an inland landmark. Another consideration I has was to try and work out a relatively balanced scenario by providing about twice as many British interceptors as German raiders, provided that aircraft didn’t necessarily gang up on each other: hence, staggered, random entry for both sides.
    In this particular iteration of this scenario, the random entry did work out significantly in the Germans’ favor. Scenario length was worked out by taking the slowest German bomber, and seeing how long it would take for it to reach a target, and return; while allowing for a bit of deceptively or evasive maneuvering, but certainly not unlimited. Fuel considerations for both sides: the British interceptors were given 12 turns after entry to exit, or they would have run out of fuel and crashed: fot the Germans, being on the map at the end of the scenario does the same. Exiting before the three final turns provided for the British to try to careful maneuver to avoid exiting my error: or, exiting (for either side) while on fire, pilot wounds or engine damage wasn’t mandatory, but still a good idea: so, half points for this. Finally, as far as making things a little more balanced in favor of the British was requiring that the Germans exit the map on the same edge as they entered (thus, discouraging a dump and run strategy): the excuse for this was the assumption that the Germans had each individually found their way to London by slipping through a gap in the out defenses: and due to lack of air-to-air communication, they were completely unaware of where other gaps might be.
    The last consideration I tried to provide for was methods for allowing for British defenses to have backup: this resulted in the searchlights and AA rules.
    So, this explains the set-up. Now, for the scenario itself:
    Management of the scenario was made much easier by downloading and printing out a set of airplane tracking sheets that Teaticket developed for a play by video chat series of game we participate in.
    The random entry at the beginning heavily favored the Germans: not only did two aircraft enter on the same side, but it was the mapside that was relatively close to at least one of their targets (the Surrey Docks, assigned to two of the bombers. The other two targets were the Government offices on the waterfront near the center of the map, and the RR yard/Underground entrance, also near the middle. Also, Marechallannes early on, kept being missed by AA fire. A card or two difference, and that could have had a fairly major effect on the outcome.
    Sauerkraut should get recognition for most effective performance of assigned mission: a quick move in, a direct hit on the tareget, and GTFO. The only time he was hit, in fact, was near the end, when Malachi whomped him for 5 points of damage.
    Teaticket gets recognition as the most effective air-to-air fighter. The turn when Stumptonian made the mistake of coming into range of two of his gunners? In addition to the numerical damage, he was set on fire, inflicted a pilot wound, and a rudder jam: then, later, the exact set of damage types on Crash A Lot.
    Oddly enough, although I had provided for both Staakens to have the eighth crewman and extra ventral machinegun, that never actually came into consideration.
    Hedeby & Camel Crew combined to finally bring down Marechallannes: in fact, the sole victory for the interceptors.
    Gangleader gets recognition for the “at all costs” attitude, with his ramming attempts on Marechallannes.
    Speaking of ramming, overall, here it was random chance that heavily favored the British: most of the cards drawn for them resulted in no damage.
    Crash A Lot also managed to inflict major damage on Teaticket with his ramming attempt (10), plus later setting him on fire for another 10 points, in addition to numerical damage inflicted; the total ended up being 25 damage inflicted: enough to count as forcing the Staaken off map for half points.
    Unfortunately for the British, AA fire was almost completely ineffective: of the 15 shots, only three hit, and two of those that did hit did zero damage.
    Overall, I have to say that chance was in the Germans’ favor: random entry, AA hits, or lack thereof, and a fairly large amount of 0 drawn on shots fired.
    Final score:
    German:
    1 Bombload direct hit (primary target): 7 points
    2 bombloads partial hits (primary targets): 3 points total
    3 British aircraft forced off map: 4 +1/2 points total

14 +1/2 points total

British:
    1 Gotha destroyed: 5 points
    1 Zeppelin-Staaken forced off map: 4 points

9 points total

German victory

Thanks for the report and for running. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Great summary, and fun game. Thank you

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thanks Sam, you kept us well informed throughout

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for the game, will we be seeing the individual plane damages?

I can do that, I haven't recycled the records yet. After work today, I think.

Great game Sam and thanks for the thorough After Action debrief.

Damage totals, in no particular order:
    Camel Crew: took 3 + and engine damage from Marechallannes; ended up doing 8, plus and engine damage on the last shot at the Gotha;
    Marechallannes: took 31 total, 8 from Camel Crew, 8 from an AA shot, 4 from Stumptonian, 3 from Hedeby (including two plus a right rudder jam), 7 from Gangleader147 (6 from the collision), 1 from the stress having two steeps in a row; dealt 3 to Camel Crew, 7 (explosion) to Malachi, 4 to Stumptonian, also partial hit on primary target;
    Crash A Lot: took 13 total: 11 + Pilot wound directly from Teaticket, plus 2 from the fire that Teaticket caused, 0 from the collision with Teaticket: dealt 25 to Teaticket, 3 by gunfire, 10 by collision, 12 by subsequent fire;
    Malachi: took 8 total, 1 by gunfire from Flash, 7 from the explosion caused by Marechallannes; dealt 7 to Flash, and 5 to Sauerkraut;
    Gangleader147: took 5 total, 1 by gunfire from Flash, 4 from the collision with Marechallannes; dealt 7 total, all to Marechallannes, as outlined;
    Baz: 10 total, 2+ smoke from, either Marechallannes or Flash, I missed the record there, 8 from the two collisions with Malachi; dealt 0 total;
    Hedeby: took 1 point from a stress card, two maneuvers in a row; dealt 2+a right rudder jam on Marechallannes, sharing credit with Camel Crew for the Gotha kill;
    Stumptonian: took 11 total, 2 from Marechallannes, 6 from Teaticket (plus a pilot wound), 3 from being set on fire by Teaticket: dealt 9, 5 on Teaticket and 4 on Marechallannes;
    Flash: took 18 total, all from Camelbeagle; dealt 1 to Malachi, 2 to Baz, and 9 to Camelbeagle, missed primary target
    Camelbeagle: took 9 total, 6 from Flash, and 3 from Teaticket: dealt 12 (including a boom) to Marechallannes, 2 to Flash;
    Sauerkraut: took 5 from Malachi, direct hit on primary target;
    Teaticket: took 25 total, 10 by collision from Crash A Lot, 3 from gunfire by Crash A Lot, and 12 more from the fire that Crash A Lot inflicted; both
    AA 'hits' that he took deal 0 damage; dealt 6 by gunfire, plus a pilot wound, plus set fire to Stumptonian for another 3, 3 to Camelbeagle, 11 to Crash A Lot + a pilot wound, plus a fire for 2 more points, partial hit on primary target.

As I've seaid in PM, ti was a wild, wonderful game to manage. Thanks to everyone who participated, I had a great time with this one.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 05-10-2021 at 14:21.

If in doubt - ram it! Fitting bull bars for the next action.
    Last edited by Gangleader147; 05-10-2021 at 12:38.

Have a quick check Sam. I don't think I got anywhere near Teaticket, let alone collided with him

You are correct, Iain; I have updated the totals.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Similar Missions

1. Staaken, London questions, use night rules? Flak?
    By seanmyles in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2018, 10:14
  2. London - Daylight Raid
    By Willi in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 13:03
  3. R Plane over London at Go Play Brisbane
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 02:33
  4. London Play sheet?
    By FLt Brown in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2016, 14:06
  5. Saturday Gaming Night: Air Raid on Malta.
    By Nightbomber in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 01:26