Ares Games
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Night Raid on London play by PM Game

Corrected turn 5 on the way...

Hope the big boys distract some enemy fire from my ass!

Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Excellent hit Sauerkraut!

OK, so this turn was a hot mess. Collisions, AA fire, bombings, everything. Through weird happenstance, everyone is still flying at the end of it.

Turn 5, Phase 1:
    Both Marechallannes and Baz are targeted by AA fire, which misses any target. Camel Crew’s rear gunner, Crash A Lot, and Stumptonian are all out of range, while Camel Crew and Teaticket simply fail to see each other in the darkness. Meanwhile Hedeby overflies Sauerkraut. Likewise, Baz fails to spot Flash, but of course, being illuminated, is subject to fire from Flash’s bombardier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59. T5P1 Overview.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	300878 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60. T5P1 West Close-up.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	300879

Name:	61. T5P1 East Close-up.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	300880 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62. T5P1 Hedeby vs Sauerkrraut.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	300881

Name:	63. T5P1 Flash vs Baz.jpg 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	300882

Turn 5, Phase 2:
    Camelbeagle comes face-to-face with his previous opponent, a big Gotha bomber. Malachi’s rear gunner also has the bomber in range, while “Unlucky “ Baz, blinded by the searchlight, fails to see Malachi looming ahead of him. The two aircraft smack into each other in the semi-darkness. Sauerkraut’s bombardier has Crash A Lot in his sights. Behind the giant, Hedeby overflies Marechallannes’ Gotha, while the latter lets fly with his bombs. Unfortunately for him, they miss, and simply land in southeast London. Stumptonian circles above the bomber. Further north, Camel Crew has no shot while he underflies Teaticket.

Name:	64. T5P2 Overall.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	300883 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65. T5P1 Furball.jpg 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	300884

Name:	66. T5P2 Sauerkraut vs Crash A Lot.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	300885 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67. T5P2 Marechallennes's Bombs.jpg 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	300886

Name:	68. Camel Crew and Teaticket.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	300887

Turn 5, Phase 3:
    Camelbeagle flies past Flash, but puts himself in Flash’s blind spot, so there is no fire from the rear gunner. “Unlucky” Baz lives up to his nickname, and smacks into Malachi again. However, the real mess is where Hedeby, Marechallannes, Stumptonian, Gangleader147, Sauerkraut, Crash A Lot, and Teaticket all attempt to violate the Law of the Exclusion of Matter. Fortunately for most of them, the differing altitudes come into play. Crash A Lot attempots to live up to his nickname, and collides with Teaticket. Camel Crew is out of Teaticket’s gunner’s range, but the reverse is not ture: Camel Crew’s reagunner gets in a shot. Hedeby’s overdive brings him down to engagement range, but fortunately for him, not dangerously show. Most aircrew here hold their fire, being unsure of their targets, but Stumptonian gets a long range shot at Sauerkraut.

Name:	69. T5P3 Baz's & Malachi's second collsion.jpg 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	300888 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70. T5P3 Teaticket & Crash A Lot.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	300889

Name:	71. T5P3.jpg 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	300890

During the Turn 6 spotting phase, Marechallannes fails to shake the searchlight, while the ground unis also manage to find Flash and Teaticket, and Hedeby.

Name:	72. Turn 6 spotting 1.jpg 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	300891 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73. Turn 6 spotting 2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	300892

Name:	74. Turn 6 Spotting 3.jpg 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	300893

Turn six in

Morning.

Bomb drop was announced before the left curve (third maneuver) and should be ecexuted after it.

Anyways it would not be a full hit.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post

Name:	67. T5P2 Marechallennes's Bombs.jpg 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	300886

Name:	71. T5P3.jpg 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	300890
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-29-2021 at 00:55.

Not me you idiots... the bloody big planes with black crosses on !!!!
    Turn 6 in.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Wow, thought I might collide with one of the big shiny things, not minuscule teammates. Also, think I must be related to Blind Hans as a whacking great big bomber flies across my bow at the same level and I can’t see it! Lol, great game, remind me not to fly at night again. Not really sure where I am now as can only see some small part of card sticking out but glad to have the crate flying below me still.

Target in sight .. Turn 6 in !

"He is wise who watches"

Going back, and re-reading Marechallannes' message: he is correct, I misunderstood his intent. The corrected image is:

Name:	75. T5P3 Corrected drop.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	300905

Indeed, the Surrey docks do take more damage, although most of the bombs end up in the Thames. Credit for a partial hit on the primary.

6 in. Crash A Lot, stop living up to your name!

Turn 6, Phase 1:
    Overall, things seemed fairly innocuous until the shooting started. Flash, Hedeby, and Marechallannes all draw AA fire which misses everyone. The wild maneuvering from the British defenders moves most of them out of range, with some significant exceptions. Baz turns away from Malachi, still trailing think grayish-black smoke. Camelbeagle and Crash A Lot both perform Immelmanns; allowing the former another shot at Flash: however, he had gotten into Flash’s blind spot, and the gunner lost track of him: there is no return fire. Crash A Lot’s Immelmann, with Hedeby’s rotory turn caue them to overlap, but there is no collision (note: the photographs below are in error: Hedeby’s altitude is 4, with climb counters, while Crash A Lot is also altitude is 4, but with none: not Altitude 3, with two climb counters, as in the photo.) Camel Crew shoots at Marechallannes, while the latter’s tail gunner joins in Teaticket’s crew in punishing Stumptonian, who has the misfortune to face a long range shot from the Gotha, a long range shot from the Staaken’s fuselage gunner, and a close-range shot from the upper gunner. Stumptonian’s Camel bursts into flames.

Name:	76. T6P1 Overview.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	300934 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77. T6P1 Camelbeagle Immelmann.jpg 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	300935

Name:	78. T6P1 Stumptonian's plight.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	300936 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79. T6P1 Crew vs Marechallannes.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	300938

Turn 6, Phase 2:
    This time, I added altitude pegs to several aircraft, to illustrate just how crowded the middle of the map is. Marechallannes come under sustained AA fire, which misses again. Flash & Teaticket both drop their bombs; Camel Crew’s stall allows him another shot at the Gotha, while disallowing return fire, due to being in the rear gunner’s blind spot. Gangleader, eager to get into the action, initiates an overdive, while Teaticket’s gunners continue to pour fire into Stumptonian. Teaticket’s bombs impact immediately, scoring a partial hit on the RR yards below. Flash’s bombs take a little longer to fall towards their target.

Name:	80. T6P2 Overall.jpg 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	300939 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81. T6P2 Camel Crew vs Marechallannes.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	300940

Name:	82. T6P2 Teaticket vs Stumptonian.jpg 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	300941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83. T6P2 Bomb Drop details.jpg 
Size:	256.1 KB 
ID:	300942

Turn 6, Phase 3:
    Marechallannes’ good luck continues, as he manages to dodge yet another burst of AA fire. Not so Teaticket: the British AA gunners finally find a target. Stumptonian, perhaps determined to sell his life dearly, takes a run directly at Marechallannes’ Gotha. The bombardier sees him coming, and puts a burst into the flaming menace. However, the rear gunner/observer still can’t get a shot in at Camel Crew. Meanwhile, Teaticket climbs, nearly colliding with Flash, but since both are illuminated by searchlights, they have enough warning for a last minute dodge. Camelbeagle and Crash A Lot both get in bursts at Flash: the former chews up a considerable amount of the Gotha’s wing; the latter gets a +1 damage consideration for Altitude. Return fire from the Bombardier on the Gotha is strangely lacking, while the gunner/observer is still hampered by the lack of sighting on Camelbeagle. Teaticket’s bombardier, though, has seen Camelbeagle the whole time, and shoots. Flash’s bombs impact the riverside of London, but mostly land in the Thames. In the morning, the Government of Imperial Germany will be receiving a note of strong diplomatic protest from the Government of Fishlandia over this outrage.

Name:	84. T6P3.jpg 
Size:	260.9 KB 
ID:	300943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85. T6P3 Stumptonian's Run.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	300944

Name:	86. T6P3 West.jpg 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	300946 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87. T6P3 Bomb details.jpg 
Size:	277.8 KB 
ID:	300947

Turn 7 spotting phase:
    Flash & Hedeby elude the searchlights, but Marechallannes & Teaticket are still caught.
    Flash at altitude 3, no climb
    Camel Crew at altitude 2, 4 climb counters
    Malachi at altitude 4, no climb
    Marechallannes at altitude 2, 4 climb
    Camelbeagle at altitude 3, 1 climb
    Sauerkraut at altitude 2, no climb
    Crash A Lot at altitude 4, no climb
    Gangleader147 at altitude 3, no climb
    Teaticket at altitude 3, no climb
    Baz at altitude 3, no climb
    Hedeby at altitude 3, 2 climb
    Stumptonian at altitude 2, 2 climb

Name:	88. T7 Spotting Northwest.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	300948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89. T7 Spotting Northeast.jpg 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	300949

Name:	90. T7 Spotting Southeast.jpg 
Size:	266.8 KB 
ID:	300950 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91. T7 Spotting Southwest.jpg 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	300952

Turn 7 in
    I need a bigger fly swatter

Not lukeen gude for the Camel with the Hearts ...

My good luck from the CYM campaign has definitely run out.

Turn 7 sent.
    Will I be there for Turn 8?
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-01-2021 at 13:07.

Great Game overhead! Those Gotha are gigantic, what a sight!

Hopefully Blind Hans will buck his ideas up this turn - 7 up !

"He is wise who watches"

Turn 7 sent.

Hope not to end the flight as the new attraction on Trafalgar Square...

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Turn 7 sent.

Hope not to end the flight as the new attraction on Trafalgar Square...

Careful now, if you hit Nelson your treatment might not be within the Geneva Convention guidelines.

Turn 7 in...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

IMPORTANT CORRECTION!
    Sauerkraut sent me a PM letting me know that I had apparently misplaced his aircraft. I checked, and he is correct: the error apparently happened when I move/replace the aircraft during phase 3, to show bomb impact details. I don't see anywhere in the actual play that the incorrect positioning would have affected (and honestly, if it did, it's too complex to re-do.) The only thing it possibly affects is the planning for turn 7. The corrected positioning is below. If anyone does want to change the cards they have planned, I'll accept the new maneuvers. Let me know.

Name:	92. Corrected Sauerkraut positioning.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	301029

Thanks for that Sam.

Turn 7 sent.

Oh my, how do I get out of here!? Where's my London street guide?

7 in.

Peter, just take the Big Red Bus and it will take you anywhere. Even to the Tower of London!!!! Some nice prison cells there!

OK, guys, the next update is going to be a little delayed.

I got a spiffy new gaming computer, custom-build, still setting it up; a lot of the software I use isn't on this one yet.

And I'm running a backup on my old computer..."about 21 hours" until that's done.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    OK, guys, the next update is going to be a little delayed.

I got a spiffy new gaming computer, custom-build, still setting it up; a lot of the software I use isn't on this one yet.

And I'm running a backup on my old computer..."about 21 hours" until that's done.
    No problem Sam. Good luck!!

No worries Sam. Just do what you need to do. I'm sure we'll all be here when you're ready.

Turn 7, Phase 1:
    The British AA batteries continue shelling the German bombers they have in sight: they miss the Gotha, but Teaticket’s Staaken takes another hit. Baz & Gangleader147 circle to get back into the action, while Malachi moves in overhead.
    Crash A Lot & Teaticket exchange shots; Crash A Lot’s shots set the Staaken alight, while Teaticket’s crew declare a Code Brown emergency, after being hit by AA, their bomber alight, previously rammed by a Camel, and another Britisher coming straight at them. Camelbeagle, maintaining a line of sight on Flash, manages to avoid a collision with Teaticket. Flash moves just out of range of Camelbeagle, though.
    Likewise, Marechallannes is just out of range of both Hedeby & Camel Crew. But...THESE ENGLISHMEN ARE ALL MAD! The Gotha crew see the flaming menace of Stumptonian fly straight into their aircraft! (Actually the latter was just setting up for an overdive, which we discussed before the moves were submitted: allowed by virtue of the Scenario Special Rule about dives in general not discarding all of the climb counters. The coincidence of the previous crashes were just too tempting to avoid commenting.)

Name:	93. T7P1 Overview.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	268.5 KB 
ID:	301045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94. Baz & Gangleader.jpg 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	301046

Name:	95. Flash & Teaticket.jpg 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	301047 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	96. Stumptoian & Marechallannes.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	301048

Next two phases will be posted after I eat lunch.

Turn 7, Phase 2:
    Marechallannes’ luck in avoidinng AA fire has run out: the gunners deliver a punishing hit on his Gotha; the Gotha starts trailing thick, oily smoke. Teaticket manages to avoid this particular shot.
    Marechallannes climbs, putting him out of range of Camel Crew, but his gunner /observer exchanges shots with Hedeby, as Stumptonian attempts to douse his flames with an overdive.
    Baz, still trailing smoke, can’t quite reach Teaticket, who right gunner/observer gets a shot at Camelbeagle. Then, the gunner/mechanic from the upper deck sets Crash A Lot on Fire with his tracers. Flash’s dive the previous phase enables him to remain out of range of the trailing Comic.

Name:	97. T7P2 Overview.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	261.0 KB 
ID:	301050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	98. Hedeby and Marechallannes.jpg 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	301051

Name:	99. T7P2 Teaticket action.jpg 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	301052 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100. Crash A Lot close-up.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	301053

Three aircraft on fire, and two trailing smoke. C’mon guys, I’m running out of homemade special damage markers!

Turn 7, Phase 3:
    Malachi & Camelbeagle both fly formation with Sauerkraut & Flash, respectively. Their altitude keeps them out of reach.
    Teaticket takes another blast of AA fire, while the pursuing Baz remains just out of range. Crash A Lot dives, masking fire from the rear gunners of the Staaken, but allowing a shot from the bombardier in the front.
    Hedeby also dives, putting him out of range of the Gotha, with Camel Crew continuing to trail. Gangeleader147 turns to make a head-on firing pass at Marechallannes, exchanging shots with the bombardier. Once again, the AA gunners miss Marechallannes.

Name:	101. T7P3 Overview.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	301061 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102. T7P3 Formation Flying.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	301059

Name:	103. T7P3 Bombardier Shot.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	301060 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104. T7P3 Head-On.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	301062

Turn 8 spotting phase:
    During the spotting phase at the beginning of the turn, Stumptonian manages to put on the fire on his aircraft. Baz’ Camel also stops smoking, while Crash A Lot and Teaticket both face the consequences of their aircraft fires.
    Teaticket and Marechallannes both manage to shake off the searchlights, but Sauerkraut finds himslef caught by another one.
    Altitudes:
    Flash 2, 0 climb
    Camel Crew 2, 4 climb counters
    Malachi: 4, no climb
    Marechallannes: 3, no climb
    Camelbeagle: 3, 1 climb counter
    Sauerkraut: 2, 1 climb counters
    Crash A Lot: 3, no climb
    Gangleader147: 3, no climb
    Teaticket: 3, no climb
    Baz: 3, no climb
    Hedeby: 2, 2 climb counters
    Stumptonian: 0, 2 climb counters (Nap-of-the-Earth!)

Name:	105. T8 Spotting Stumptonian.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	301063 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106. T8 Spotting This Close.jpg 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	301064

Name:	107. T8 Spotting Teaticket exit.jpg 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	301065 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108. T8 Spotting In Trouble.jpg 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	301066

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Turn 8 sent.
    At a loose end too?

Time to run ! Turn 8 in

"He is wise who watches"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Staaken, London questions, use night rules? Flak?
    By seanmyles in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2018, 10:14
  2. London - Daylight Raid
    By Willi in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 13:03
  3. R Plane over London at Go Play Brisbane
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 02:33
  4. London Play sheet?
    By FLt Brown in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2016, 14:06
  5. Saturday Gaming Night: Air Raid on Malta.
    By Nightbomber in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 01:26