Ares Games
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Night Raid on London play by PM Game

Default Night Raid on London play by PM Game

This as the Aerodrome Raid game is winding down, it's time to post the preliminary notice of the next game in the series. I believe the title is self-explanatory as to the scenario overall, but preliminaries are:

Background:
    The time is late September, 1917. The Germans have intensified their strategic aerial campaign against England, sending the fearsome Gotha and even more fearsome Zepplin-Staaken bombers over London by night. Facing an outcry from the British public, the RAS/RNAS have stationed several interceptor squadrons on the home front, along with acoustic detectors, and searchlight & antiaircraft gun batteries to protect London. One such raid has been detected for the coming evening: spotters in France have reported numerous bombers on their way, and from little could be seen in the fading twilight, both big German bombers are involved.

Players:
    There is room for up to twelve: four German, eight British.
    Interested so far:
    "Unlucky" Baz (you knew that nick was going to come back to haunt you, right?)
    Camelbeagle
    Teaticket
    Malachi
    Hedeby
    Camel Crew
    Sumptonian
    Gangleader147
    Crash A Lot
    Baron Rolf
    Sauerkraut
    Marechallannes (tentative-probable, in fact)

...the only thing that would prevent Marechallannes from joining it is if one of the newbies wants in by the time I print up the final roster on name plates for documentation purposes.

I would especially encourage those new to the Aerodrome (and possibly the game) to jump in. Send me a PM to join. I will be posting further updates as to roles and rules (especially as pertains to the night aspect of the scenario) later.
    Last edited by zenlizard; 04-17-2021 at 19:06.

Count me in, what planes are the British flying?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby
    what planes are the British flying?
    The Germans will find out when they show up to bomb London. This is to be a "limited information" scenario: both sides will receive additional mission briefings, specifically tailored to what they know or suspect.

General rules for scenario:
    I will follow the general trend established so far of asking people to state each turn's cards in the format: "Turn X, Phase Y: Card Z (card Z descriptor)" Please use the descriptors: Straight, Left/Right Turn, Left/Right Sharp Turn, Left/Right Sideslip, Wide Left/Right Sideslip, Stall, Climb, Dive, Immelmann. Please use MATES Cards numbering labels.

For example, a Sopwith Camel might have the following moves plotted:
    Turn 2, Phase 1: Card 22 (climb, steep, gain 1 climb counter)
    Turn 2, Phase 2: Card 4 (right sharp turn)
    Turn 2, Phase 3: Card 19 (left sideslip)

Tailing, Aim, Disruption, and Height Advantage rules will be used. Aircraft plotting illegal maneuvers (ex: two steep maneuvers in a row) will have the offending maneuver replaced with a straight, and take an A damage card applied immediately.
    Standard altitude rules will be use with the exceptions:
    Dive & Split-S maneuvers will lose exactly 1 altitude level, instead of 1 altitude level and all accumulated climb counters. Climb & Immelmann cards gain 1 climb counter.
    General rules for both sides:
    1. The play area and scenario duration are fixed. Scenario is not to exceed 18 turns. The scenario may end before that if all aircraft of one side are destroyed, or have escaped. British aircraft will not pursue Germans escaping the edge of the mapboard (they are already taking a risk by following the direct orders given above: being mistaken for a German raider, and shot down by a comrade whose patrol area you’ve strayed into in pursuit of a German raider is just adding insult to injury.) Aircraft still on the map will face consequences outlined to each side in the secret additional briefing. Aircraft leaving the mapboard before the time limit are assumed to be landing safely at home base (unless on fire: resolve fires as per the standard rules); engine damage or a pilot wound will also force an aircraft to attempt to escape.
    2. Sequence of play. There will be an additional phase added to the play sequence. This is the spotting phase (see rules below), and takes place before the planning phase of each turn. There are two sub-phases: illumination & spotting.
    3.. Night rules. This is assumed to be a night scenario. Players do not have to perform any ‘extra’ pre-planning due to night, nor are they restricted in their maneuvers, other than the aircraft capabilities. Check for illumination and sighting at the beginning of each turn, before the maneuver planning phase:
    a. Defenses. Ground defenses consist of searchlights paired with antiaircraft batteries. Searchlights will attempt to illuminate aircraft; unfortunately, they can hear the sound of aircraft engines, but can not necessarily pinpoint the source, and worse, cannot distinguish among the various noises. If they illuminate a given aircraft, they will continue to track and illuminate that aircraft, unless and until that aircraft evades the searchlight. All aircraft on the board automatically spot an illuminated aircraft, or an aircraft on fire. Aircraft may attempt to spot other aircraft on the board. Draw one card from the B deck if the spotter is further than one ruler-length away from the potential target, two if between ½ ruler length and one full, and three if the potential target is within ½ ruler-length of the spotter (remember that differential altitude is ½ length for each level of altitude difference; aircraft that have overlapping bases and are at different altitude levels may attempt to spot each other). Draw an extra card in any situation if the spotting aircraft is at a lower altitude level than the target (silhouetted against the sky.) If any B damage card of any given spotting attempt shows special damage of any type, the target is spotted. An aircraft is also spotted, for one turn if it fired at a target any time in the previous turn (traces are a necessary evil at night.) Players who aircraft are on fire are too busy worrying about the fire results to spot any other aircraft, regardless of above circumstances.
    b. Collisions. Due to the difficulty of night flying, standard rules on collisions will be used.
    c. Antiaircraft. The turn immediately following the spotting phase in which any aircraft is illuminated by a searchlight, antiaircraft batteries will shoot at that aircraft: only once per turn (during a randomly determined maneuver-and-fire phase) if the aircraft manages to evade further illumination, but in each continuous phase of illumination after the first turn, if any (assume several guns in each battery, not all firing simultaneously, but overlapping their shots.) (Ex: In the spotting phase of turn 3, the searchlights illuminate a Gotha. The Gamemaster determines that the AA batteries will fire at it in phase 2. The aircraft fails to evade the searchlights in the spotting phase of turn 4, and therefore, in each of the maneuver-and-fire phases 1, 2 & 3 of Turn 4, the Gotha will receive AA fire.) Antiaircraft gunners are notoriously poor at aircraft recognition at night, and will happily shell British interceptors as well as German raiders.
    d. Evasion. If your aircraft is illuminated, it remains illuminated unless you take evasive action in the form of a non-straight-and-level maneuver. Climbs, Dives & Stalls are somewhat effective, sideslips are more effective, and wide sideslips are even more effective, and the best is doing some combination of these in a given turn. The players will not know the exact effectiveness of any given combination of evasive maneuvers.
    4. Victory. The Germans are attempting to bomb parts of London; the defenders are unaware exactly which of the many potential targets are slated for attack. Victory will go to the side accumulating the most points:
    Each Allied aircraft forced off the map (due to damage, crew wound, or pilot disorientation: 1 point
    Each Allied aircraft shot down: 3 points
    Each bombload partially on secondary target: 2 points
    Each bombload partially on primary target: 3 points
    Each bombload scoring a direct hit on secondary target: 4 points
    Each bombload scoring a direct hi on pirmary target: 7 points
    Each Gotha shot down: 5 points
    Each Zeppelin-Staaken shot down: 8 points.
    ETA!: Explosion cards will count as 1/2 (original, not remaining) damage capacity for fighters, 1/3 for bombers. Round up in both cases.

The play area:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GameMap.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	300203

British Briefing:
    “Good evening, Gentlemen. The Boche have sent another big raid our way. As you very well know, their raids are causing Mr. George’s government quite the headache. We must stop them! Now, you all have your assigned patrol sectors. If any of the Huns should evade our other patrols, and sneak past our searchlight and ack-ack batteries in the outer belt, you must have a go at him. You must stop him at all costs! In case I am not making myself clear, I am ordering you to pursue any Hun you spot, even if that means flying into the ack-ack belt over London itself. Now, we’re going to try something new. Instead of both squadrons taking off all together, we will have flights staggered, so as to have continuous coverage. The weather tonight is partly cloudy, with the moon in the first quarter: the Huns, of course, never play fair, so the lack of moon light may be a problem. I advise you to fly a little lower and attempt to spot the enemy against the brighter sky. That is advisory only, and other than that, as long as you patrol your assigned area, and more especially, if you do manage to destroy the Hun, no one will question your choice of tactics. You have your assigned take-off times and patrol areas in your written briefing. Happy hunting!”

German Briefing:
    “Guten Abend, Mein Herren. The weather tonight is promising: only a quarter moon, just enough for navigation, but enough darkness that you should be safe from location before you reach London. In order to split the British defenses, and to avoid possible collisions, you will each navigate individually. Do not attempt to form up with a comrade, unless you can see him clearly. We must avoid the opportunity for England to score an important propaganda victory at no cost the themselves! And I have further good news: our comrades from Rfa 501 will be joining us on tonight’s raid. Now you all have your assigned primary targets. You also have a list of secondary targets. You must make every effort to destroy your primary, but if that proves impossible, a secondary target will do. We want to cause as much widespread damage as possible. Viel glück, und Gott strafe England!”
    Last edited by zenlizard; 04-15-2021 at 15:53.

Sam
    Your Play Area pic has an invalid attachment error.

Sounds really interesting Sam, can't wait. Looks like you have made a LOT of work for yourself.

Hello Sam

Put me down to play. Will step down if a new person wants a game and there is no room

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Sam
    Your Play Area pic has an invalid attachment error.
    Thanks for the note: hopefully, that's fixed, and everyone can see it now.

Nice big board. This looks to be very interesting.

If there is space then I’m game although I am mindful I’ve played the last couple so happy to sit on the subs bench if need be.

I am sure “unlucky” Baz will stick lol.
    Unfortunately, I played a solo campaign of the OTT campaign (mission 1) and played a RFC DH2 and 6 x AI players. I was the first to be shot down and only one other plane was downed in the mission! So even against AI I seem to be “unlucky”!!!

Looking forward to this one (for a short while anyway!)

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I am sure “unlucky” Baz will stick lol.
    Unfortunately, I played a solo campaign of the OTT campaign (mission 1) and played a RFC DH2 and 6 x AI players. I was the first to be shot down and only one other plane was downed in the mission! So even against AI I seem to be “unlucky”!!!

Looking forward to this one (for a short while anyway!)
    Baz - that AI is lethal

What planes are involved? Or is that part of the unknown element? Not that I’m keeping my fingers crossed for any one in particular (much) lol

Like the Germans finding out what defenders are present when they show up to raid London, the British will find out what attackers are present when they show up.

Hedeby is slyly asking if there will be any Bristol Fighters. (especially any up-gunned versions)

Sam

I wonder about this
    Dive & Split-S maneuvers will lose exactly 1 altitude level, instead of 1 altitude level and all accumulated climb counters.
    Split-S does not normally lose a full altitude level.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Hedeby is slyly asking if there will be any Bristol Fighters. (especially any up-gunned versions)
    How on earth did you deduce that? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Like the Germans finding out what defenders are present when they show up to raid London, the British will find out what attackers are present when they show up.
    This is exciting... and we haven’t even started yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Sam

I wonder about this

Split-S does not normally lose a full altitude level.
    d'oh! Brain fart. Yes, Split-S should lose 1 climb token (or if starting from a zero position, lose one altitude level and gain a number of climb tokens 1 less than necessary to gain a full altitude level).

BTW, I have been updating the first message of this thread as I hear from additional players-just a couple of spots left now. Let me know RSN if you need to change your participation status.

Count me in please. (If there is still a place available)

There is, so you're getting one of the last two spots. I'm not going to hold up things forever, waiting fot that last player to step up; if I don't hear from anyone by tomorrow morning, I'm going to kick things off then.

I'm in!

(volunteer for a bomber)
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Sam,

If your two invited newbies have decided that they want to play I am happy to step aside for them. Always good to get the new chaps involved.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    Sam,

If your two invited newbies have decided that they want to play I am happy to step aside for them. Always good to get the new chaps involved.

Andy
    Likewise - I would do the same.

Same here, just read the message that one is needed.

Just keep me in reserve in case of lack of players.

Neither has, so the roster stands:
    Baron Rolf and Marechallannes have volunteered for Germany: still need two more. who's up for a bomber?

Within nationality, aircraft assignments are random.

I'll take a bomber please.

I’m game so can crash happily on either side.

"Night raid on London"

Getting a strong ELO vibe here

Assignments are in. Flying for England:

Camel Crew
    Malachi
    Camelbeagle
    Crash A Lot
    Gangleader147
    Baz
    Hedeby
    Stumptonian

Flying for Germany:
    Baron Rolf
    Marechallannes
    Sauerkraut
    Teaticket

And I'll be getting the sooper-sekrit briefings out to people by PM after lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley
    "Night raid on London"

Wouldn't that be "Night Rave IN London" ?

Wow, this is exciting... Tally ho chaps, lets give the Hun a damn good thrashing

Looking forward to this, blind flying and collisions as normal as it’s dark, being shot at by your own Archie and no straying after the Germans! What could go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz
    What could go wrong.
    One sure way to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    "Night raid on London"

More like ‘Madness’ - Nightboat to Cairo!

More like Motorhead... BOMBER

Briefings have gone out now, just awaiting to responses before starting the game itself. I'm really excited about gamemastering this one.

Hello Sam

Sent you a message

I'm probably a little late seeing the briefing. Question sent.

Still digesting the briefing, maps and RAP as it all arrived late last night. Off to work shortly but will get my info over this afternoon.

Wow, a lot of briefing and planing, Sam.

This will be a challenge for you as GM (...and us poor bomber boys).

Hope the "Engländers" will honor your efforts with an aerial victory.

Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-19-2021 at 00:51.

Crap, something else I should have added:
    In case you don't have the infor already:
    Camels use the C maneuver deck.
    Strutters use the V maneuver deck.
    Gothas use the XD maneuver deck
    Staakens use the XA maneuver deck.

Should have put this in the briefings, but I think at this point, I'm not really giving away any information.

Info sent and poised, hoping the bombers have suffered some corrosion coming across the channel!

Info sent.

Wir gegen auf England.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Staaken, London questions, use night rules? Flak?
    By seanmyles in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2018, 10:14
  2. London - Daylight Raid
    By Willi in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-30-2018, 13:03
  3. R Plane over London at Go Play Brisbane
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 02:33
  4. London Play sheet?
    By FLt Brown in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-13-2016, 14:06
  5. Saturday Gaming Night: Air Raid on Malta.
    By Nightbomber in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 01:26