Ares Games

Thread: Whisky Galore!

Exclamation Whisky Galore!

Our local BWS Store (Beer, Wines & Spirits) which is owned by Woolworths Aust just had a special on a 200 year Anniversary Johnny Walker Black Labe' Scotch in a specially painted bottle with yellow printing & "Keep Walking" on the sides. Now the normal Black Label sells for around $79 but this one was selling for $42. I brought one & it tasted like mothers milk so went back & grabbed 2 more. Cannot have too much of such good stuff.
    Last edited by gully_raker; 04-14-2021 at 17:37.

A great score, Baz.

The blends don't do it for me (well, I guess they do in a pinch )
    Single malt all the way for me.

Sounds delicious, have you a photo of the bottle?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Bet it's empty!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This thread gave me flashbacks of my favorite store - Whisky Galore in Christchurch, NZ!!!

On the way down to Antarctica, it is common to stop there and buy some really, really good stuff. So common that they know how to pack the bottles for our trip and started stocking the best American bourbons too.

Since we are limited to 85 lbs of kit when we deploy, those of us who are only going for a month end up "mule-ing" hundreds of dollars of whisky down to the ice for our friends who are there for the full season. Makes great Christmas presents. The loophole is they weigh your bags against the 85lb limit, but not you! They only weigh you to for capacity and load balance purposes. Then they make us wear our cold weather survival gear out to and while on the plane. And while that really sucks during the NZ summer, the "Big Red" coats happens to have about 20 pockets! So we load up until we can barely walk.

No tariffs or customs crap since we leave NZ and return to NZ without having entered any other country... we fly military aircraft, so baggage is just weighed and drug sniffed by cute little beagles from the NZ Defense Force.

No worries and makes for a great reunion with friends. And if you happen to know some of the glacier scientists there, they sometimes bring ancient ice from their ruined ice core samples to a get together. Last time, I put ice estimated to be 2,000 years old ice in my bourbon - it cracks explosively!

Ah, the good memories.

Nice score, Barry; and great story, jeff!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I will take one for you Chris!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Bet it's empty!

Still got 2 full ones & a "nip" left in the original.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    This thread gave me flashbacks of my favorite store - Whisky Galore in Christchurch, NZ!!!

On the way down to Antarctica, it is common to stop there and buy some really, really good stuff. So common that they know how to pack the bottles for our trip and started stocking the best American bourbons too.

Since we are limited to 85 lbs of kit when we deploy, those of us who are only going for a month end up "mule-ing" hundreds of dollars of whisky down to the ice for our friends who are there for the full season. Makes great Christmas presents. The loophole is they weigh your bags against the 85lb limit, but not you! They only weigh you to for capacity and load balance purposes. Then they make us wear our cold weather survival gear out to and while on the plane. And while that really sucks during the NZ summer, the "Big Red" coats happens to have about 20 pockets! So we load up until we can barely walk.

No tariffs or customs crap since we leave NZ and return to NZ without having entered any other country... we fly military aircraft, so baggage is just weighed and drug sniffed by cute little beagles from the NZ Defense Force.

No worries and makes for a great reunion with friends. And if you happen to know some of the glacier scientists there, they sometimes bring ancient ice from their ruined ice core samples to a get together. Last time, I put ice estimated to be 2,000 years old ice in my bourbon - it cracks explosively!

Ah, the good memories.
    That's a great story Jeff.
    Have some Rep!

Exclamation The Photo of the Scotch Trilogy!

Chris asked for it so here it is!
    When I was taking the pic I realised it was JW's 200th Anniversary not the 100.
    Some of you F1 fans might remember Rob Walker the then (& maybe still) owner of Johnny Walker sponsored Stirling Moss in a Cooper Climax painted in the Scottish colours of deep blue with a white nose band.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Scotch trilogy.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	300207

Make mine a double !

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. Gimbles Galore Redux
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 13:24