Ares Games

Thread: AAR--OTT CYM Mission 9--"Who's Stalking who"--5th September '16--gully_raker

Threaded View

Default AAR--OTT CYM Mission 9--"Who's Stalking who"--5th September '16--gully_raker

Part One--Dawn Patrol

Pre Mission activity

Rolled 3 for Set up
    Rolled for Initiative: Germans Successful.
    Rolled 8 on D12 for Attack Arc

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 01.jpg  Views: 20  Size: 226.5 KB  ID: 299945" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Mission part one.

" Ring, Ring, Ring!" F/Sgt Brandon Stark woke from a deep sleep, yawned & stretched & prepared for the Dawn Patrol that he was to lead with the young Aussie 2nd Lt "Dusty" Rhodes as his wingman. Bran was somewhat disgruntled. As the highest scoring Ace in C Flight with 9 Victories he was still only one of 2 Sergeants in the flight & Al Foyle the other had only be with the Flight a very short time. Bran thought "If I can bag my 10th today I will have a chat with Uncle about recommending me for a commission & then I will feel at home with the other officers".

The two British Pilots took off in their De Havilland DH-2's & headed out towards the Trench Line. Perhaps distracted by his thoughts Brandon did not notice 2 German Aircraft approach from a cloud bank. Ltn R Arntzen the senior Pilot in the Eagles Nest due to Wound leave in his CDL Halberstadt & Ltn Thiede in a grey Eindekker E.III were also out early on patrol. Arntzen wiggled his wings & pointed towards the un-suspecting British aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 02.jpg  Views: 20  Size: 217.9 KB  ID: 299946" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Bran was rudely awakened from his thoughts when German bullets slammed into his aircraft damaging his rudder.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 03.jpg  Views: 20  Size: 250.4 KB  ID: 299947" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Before he could take avoiding action another burst caused further damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 04.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 161.8 KB  ID: 299948" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Throwing his plane into an Immleman he returned fire only to have his gun jamb. "Bloody Hell! I am not having a good start to the day" grunted Stark.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 05.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 173.8 KB  ID: 299949" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

To add insult to injury he now came under attack from the grey E.III & could do nothing but try to clear his gun.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 06.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 182.3 KB  ID: 299950" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The next moment the two aircraft brushed wings but neither suffered any damage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 07.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 146.2 KB  ID: 299951" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Dusty" Rhodes who had turned towards the fighting now got a close burst into Thiede's E.III & the German Pilot received two wounds, blacked out & his Fokker spun into the ground in British territory.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 08.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 171.1 KB  ID: 299952" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 09.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 203.9 KB  ID: 299953" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The remaining Aircraft were now scattered as often happens in Aerial fighting as they manoeuvred for advantage.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 10.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 142.6 KB  ID: 299954" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Dusty" who really had the bit between his teeth closed on Arntzen's Halberstadt & exchanged fire. He damaged the Germans rudder but the Germans gun jammed!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 11.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 216.0 KB  ID: 299955" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile Bran was slowly closing back towards the action.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 12.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 158.0 KB  ID: 299956" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 13.jpg  Views: 22  Size: 236.0 KB  ID: 299957" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Dusty" continued to harass the Halberstadt & now damaged its rudder.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 14.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 225.4 KB  ID: 299958" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

"Dusty" continued to turn after the German aircraft & now got a close range shot into the cockpit of the Halberstadt wounding the pilot.
    Unfortunately I lost this photo during the game as I ran out of battery's but the two damage cards will show in the Butchers Bill!

The German pilot stunned by the bullet continued to fly straight & "Dusty" again punished him.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 15.jpg  Views: 20  Size: 254.3 KB  ID: 299959" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Finally the wounded pilot flew home nursing his wound. (Flew off the table due to 3 straight cards whilst wounded.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR 16.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 206.3 KB  ID: 299960" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The 2 British pilots then turned for home low on both fuel & ammunition. Bran shook his head glad to make it back with his DH-2 decidedly 2nd Hand. There would be no approaching Uncle today!

Observation & Comments

Well that started out looking bad for the Bulldogs after being jumped by the old Hun. However once "Dusty" got the E.III the luck changed sides. I think that is the first time in a game when I have dealt 2 wound cards from the one burst. It ended up quite a quick game.

I flew Dusty's plane & all others were controlled by AI via Dave's D8 charts. Altitude was not used.

VICTORY POINTS:

2 Aircraft RTB Safely = 2 points
    1 Enemy Shot Down = 2 points
    1 Enemy FRTB-W = 1 point
    TOTAL POINTS = 5 Points

British Victory!

I plan to Fly Part 2 tomorrow!

The Butchers Bill

British Forces:

F/Sgt Bran Stark --DH-2 No.1 - RTB--- 0 Kills (9 Damage Points)

Name:	<acronym title=BB 1.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 119.6 KB  ID: 299961" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

2nd Lt "Dusty Rhodes--DH-2 No.3 - RTB--1 Kill (Thiede grey E.III) 1 Damage Point

Name:	<acronym title=BB 2.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 103.3 KB  ID: 299962" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

German Forces:

Ltn Richard Arntzen--CDL Halberstadt D.II - FRTB-W---0 Kills (11 Damage Points)
    Rolled 6 + 3 Landed safely.
    Rolled 5 -1 WIA +1RTB= 5 - Injured skip 1d3 scenarios. Rolled 5 = Skips 3

Name:	<acronym title=BB 4.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 151.2 KB  ID: 299963" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn Wilhelm Thiede--Grey E.III - SD/2WIA/ET - 0 Kills (4 Damage Points)
    Rolled 6 -1SD -2WIA = 3 - Injured Skip 1D6 scenarios. Rolled 6 = Skips 6
    E & E: Rolled 11 - 2WIA -1 WIC -1BEL = 7 - Landed almost home--skips 1

Name:	<acronym title=BB 3.jpg  Views: 21  Size: 152.5 KB  ID: 299964" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by flash; 04-11-2021 at 06:01.

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT-CYM Mission 7 - 19th Aug 1916 - "Snap the Trap"--gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2021, 11:41
  2. BRF OTT CYM Mission 9 “Who’s Stalking Who?” 5 September 1916
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2020, 16:20
  3. BRF OTT-CYM-Mission 7 - "Snap the Trap!" - 19th August '16 by gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-12-2020, 17:36
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 12:23
  5. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19