Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shapeways planes in full color?

Making this was a bit of fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post Ge Albatros D.V Helmut Dilthey.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	309198
    So how many books are in your personal library?

But a very nice effort, Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    But I wonder if maybe he painted the squares yellow, to match the flag of the Free State of Saxony? Probably not, but still interesting:
    Attachment 309153
    I like the theory, but unless a yellow filter was used, most photographic film of that time would render yellow fairly dark. (Details in Jasta Colors, pp. 245-253.) Yet the under-square does appear a lighter shade of gray than the horizontal stabilizer. Hmmm.

I guess if no one knows for sure, no one can complain. (Right... I'm fooling myself there.)

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Making this was a bit of fun. --- card ---
    I'm certainly a fan, and I cheer on all the card-making efforts! But I'll also mention that I publish unofficial plane cards for all the full-color planes on the Wings of Linen wiki when they become available. I only mention this so we don't duplicate efforts. (Well, unless you want to... feel free.)

Here's an example I published earlier:

Name:	AlbD5-Muller.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	309199

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    A couple questions on Dilthey's D.V. One source shows the upper-wing crosses overlying medium-green squares of the same color used on the fuselage. 1) Can anyone verify the green under-squares are correct? 2) Were the same green squares used on the lower wings under the crosses?

Attachment 309139
    The chances of the square being painted are increased if the plane had its Eisernkreuz markings adapted into the Balkan straight-edge-cross format - 'Reviresco' have a decal set for this plane, in a slightly different format, with the pilot listed as "Karl Degelow of Jasta 40", and the lozenge wings carry Eisernkreuzen on both the top and bottom wings.
    Using white paint to 'straighten' the bars of the Iron cross would then require the background square to be repainted, so the fuselage green would be the logical choice.
    If the upper wings were repainted as shown, I would fully expect the lower wings to be repainted in the same way.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Okay, I finished the Dilthey paint scheme. I assumed the squares under the wing-crosses were green. It's a handsome livery.

Name:	Dilthey.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	309267

I guess I will be making that my first purchase from you. How does shipping work? Is it the same for each plane, or is there a discount for multiples?

I guess I will be making that my first purchase from you. How does shipping work? Is it the same for each plane, or is there a discount for multiples?
    Shipping is basically just what Shapeways charges plus a charge that Etsy adds on top. I'm pretty sure the shipping applies "per order" rather than "per plane".

Shipping is basically just what Shapeways charges plus a charge that Etsy adds on top. I'm pretty sure the shipping applies "per order" rather than "per plane".
    When I added one plane to my basket, the shipping was $16

When I had increased to 4 planes, the shipping was still $16

On both 4-plane orders...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The chances of the square being painted are increased if the plane had its Eisernkreuz markings adapted into the Balkan straight-edge-cross format - 'Reviresco' have a decal set for this plane, in a slightly different format, with the pilot listed as "Karl Degelow of Jasta 40", and the lozenge wings carry Eisernkreuzen on both the top and bottom wings.
    Using white paint to 'straighten' the bars of the Iron cross would then require the background square to be repainted, so the fuselage green would be the logical choice.
    If the upper wings were repainted as shown, I would fully expect the lower wings to be repainted in the same way.
    I'm gonna spitball something into this discussion. As Tim suggests, it could have been that when the unit painted off the "Eisernes Kreuz" on a white background, and went to the straight "Balkenkreuz" of 1918, they needed to get rid of all the white space left behind. They didn't recover the wings with lozenge camo fabric, they just painted over the white with a darker color, and in this case went with the green from the fuselage.

Just my thought, no period references available.

Name:	german_air_force_roundels_history_1913_today_by_maxhitman-d9vlh66.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	309308
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 11-17-2021 at 20:13.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Excellent info Tim and Mike! Just another random thought here, but I wonder if they lightened up the fuselage stripe green paint with some white to match the green tone in the lozenge camo when repainting the wing?

..... I wonder if they lightened up the fuselage stripe green paint with some white to match the green tone in the lozenge camo when repainting the wing?
    Quite possibly, but I doubt it.
    It's extra effort, and, anyway, the white border of the cross shows up much better against a dark field compared to against a light one.

Happy days. My brand new full colour scout has arrived safely. And I have managed to intercept the UPS deliveryman, which saves me having to be cross examined by swmbo. I bought Ltn. Vogel's Pfalz D.XII from Jasta 23b. I am very impressed with the quality of this model. I only need to print off his pilot card then he'll join Ltn. Stark in an upcoming game that I am planning with my new regular opponant.

Waiting on my Pfalz to leave the factory! How did yours turn out Baron Rolf?

My Pfalzes are en route - hope to get 'em early next week

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Waiting on my Pfalz to leave the factory! How did yours turn out Baron Rolf?
    My Pfalz D.XII looks really good Dan. And the wings didn't need straightening.

Sounds pretty awesome! Hope mine show up before too much longer.

I had to pay Import charges and "Brokerage charge" extortions - this held up my delivery.
    I hope they will arrive tomorrow.

I had to pay Import charges and "Brokerage charge" extortions - this held up my delivery.
    I hope they will arrive tomorrow.
    Is that common in the UK?

Is that common in the UK?
    It seems to be entirely random.

As a Radiographer, 'pattern recognition' is a large part of my job.
    As a Radiographer of over 30 years experience, I like to think I'm pretty good at recognising patterns.

In the long history of all my overseas purchases, I can't identify any logical pattern.

Three dozen orders from Japan - only one attracted Import Duty.
    3 from the Philippines - none had Import Duty, despite all 3 being larger than the Japan Import Duty order.
    From the USA, only 3 times was Import Duty charged (one order from Keith, not the largest I placed with him), out of thirty or more orders.
    From Canada, Import Duties were charged EVERY SINGLE TIME! Even on orders of less than Ł10 value!

Of the three orders I have placed with Etsy for your super 3D colour print planes, the first 2 did not have Import Duty attached, the third (larger) order did.

I don't know whether the size of the order, or the frequency, or just pure random chance is the trigger for charges to be attached...
    My next order will be several weeks away, and of lower total value, to see whether I can avoid such charges next time.

I'm trying to decide which airplane to next "prepare for skinning" so I can make some full-color 3D prints available, and I'm kind of torn. Nieuport 11 or 17 (multi-nation!)? Fokker Dr.I (iconic!)? Siemens-Schuckert D.III/D.IV (top-performer!)? Pfalz D.III (lots of great paint schemes!)? Sopwith Camel (must-have!)? Something Austro-Hungarian (rare!)? Or something else?

It just can't be a two-seater... those are (currently) too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Dr.I, many many interesting planes. A classic everyone wants to fly.

Pfalz D.III as you say, lots of great schemes. Maybe you would get people interested in flying these.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Dr.I, many many interesting planes. A classic everyone wants to fly.

Pfalz D.III as you say, lots of great schemes. Maybe you would get people interested in flying these.
    what he said..................

I think you'd get the most interest by tackling planes with the most complex schemes.

Nieuport 11 and 17 were mostly single-colour-all-over, or two-tone (upper-lower) like most Camels, and most painters would probably be happy to tackle those schemes for themselves, so the remaining customer base would be smaller.

I think the best option for widespread Sales would be the Fokker Dr.1 and the Pfalz D.III/IIIa with complicated colour schemes - most folks would already have the manoeuvre decks for these models.

I think the best option for widespread Sales...
    That's not how you spell Sails

Agree with Tim and others, Fok Dr.I and Pfalz D.IIIa in complex schemes would be appealing.

I would be interested in some Siemens Schuckert D.III myself. Hard to find plane as well. The wing lozenge...nice but I do not want to try and model.

Loving the Pfalz DXII so far.

As for Nieuports. The Italian Nieuport 17 with the large dragon down the side of it would be a good one to try.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

I have two Ni.17 schemes from No. 60 squadron, if some might be interested in those. Although there are decals from MiscMinis for them.

PS: A possible D.III scheme:

Name:	Pfalz_Intro_Hangar-47.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	309885
    Carl von Degelow of Jasta 40

PS: Found out that the above image is an "imagining" by the modeler. The original paint scheme was with aluminum wings. I like the dark lozenge camo more.

Name:	pfalz_Diii_Degelow.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	309913
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-07-2021 at 09:33.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

In trying to decide which plane-type to do next, it was the nice variety of Pfalz D.IIIa paint schemes that made the difference. Like these three lovely planes which I just finished:

Name:	PfaD3a-Ewers.jpg 
Views:	143 
ID:	310006 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfaD3a-Muller.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	310007 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfaD3-Kaus.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	310008

I'm sure there will be more Pfalz D.IIIa paint schemes to come. I'll try to post here when I get a test print. The last set of prints I ordered are somewhere in the mail.

That does it!

You are off my Christmas card list!!!

Three new schemes, and I want two of them....

When it comes to great paint schemes (that are documented), the Pfalz D.III/IIIa ranks up there with the Albatros D.V/Va and Fokker D.VII. I was a bit surprised to find that. It was also interesting that Berthold preferred the Pfalz to the Albatros D.Va.

They're some really nice planes there. Is this the future?

There you go Tim. XMas Present to your self!

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    They're some really nice planes there. Is this the future?
    Yes, it is, and thank goodness for it!

In trying to decide which plane-type to do next, it was the nice variety of Pfalz D.IIIa paint schemes that made the difference. Like these three lovely planes which I just finished:

Name:	PfaD3a-Ewers.jpg 
ID:	310006 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfaD3a-Muller.jpg 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	310007 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PfaD3-Kaus.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	310008

I'm sure there will be more Pfalz D.IIIa paint schemes to come. I'll try to post here when I get a test print. The last set of prints I ordered are somewhere in the mail.
    KAUS! KausKausKausKaus.......there, that's 5 more votes.........

That does it!

You are off my Christmas card list!!!

Three new schemes, and I want two of them....

Only 2
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Since I had already done the stripes for Kaus (and they were a pain), it wasn't hard to do a Bethge Pfalz as well (Jasta 30). Shorten the stripes, remove the camo from the wings, switch to Iron Cross markings, and some other misc. changes.

Name:	PfaD3a-Bethge.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	310013

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Only 2
    Karl
    I already did Muller, over 4 years ago.

Since I had already done the stripes for Kaus (and they were a pain), it wasn't hard to do a Bethge Pfalz as well (Jasta 30). Shorten the stripes, remove the camo from the wings, switch to Iron Cross markings, and some other misc. changes.

Name:	PfaD3a-Bethge.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	310013
    Rats

Peter (Teaticket) tells me that there is a school of thought that Kaus' stripes and outlines were yellow instead of grey or black, contrary to some older clues. Since no one will ever know for sure, I'll probably due an alternative paint scheme for Kaus, and the buyer can decide. I did the same for Udet's Fokker E.III.

Hi, are you going to do the Sopwith triplane to fix the wings issue?

Peter (Teaticket) tells me that there is a school of thought that Kaus' stripes and outlines were yellow instead of grey or black, contrary to some older clues. Since no one will ever know for sure, I'll probably due an alternative paint scheme for Kaus, and the buyer can decide. I did the same for Udet's Fokker E.III.
    Ah - the same question that plagues the fuselage stripe on Klein's Pfalz D.III; first interpreted as probably yellow, then as probably black, and now as probably red...

Which of the Kaus interpretations is the more recent and/or more likely? I probably won't want to buy both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Hi, are you going to do the Sopwith triplane to fix the wings issue?
    Some RNAS with the more colorful paint jobs would be cool!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    Some RNAS with the more colorful paint jobs would be cool!
    They would, but they weren't applied to Sopwith Triplanes

Yeah, I had considered moving the Triplanes up in the line, but they're not very exciting color-wise: PC10 or PC12 with a band and/or other letter or number markings.

Yeah, I had considered moving the Triplanes up in the line, but they're not very exciting color-wise: PC10 or PC12 with a band and/or other letter or number markings.
    Yes, PC10 is not that exciting. How about some Siemens-Schukert. Anything exciting there. I always like the Udet paint scheme.

I would love to see Hanriots in both Italian and Belgian markings. Hell, I would love to see anything really to add to your range.

The pictures of the printed planes show a very shiny finish...does that apply in person? If so, I am guessing a touch of matte coat could dull it down?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WSF 1/144 WGF & 1/144 + 1/200 WGS Planes on Shapeways
    By Teaticket in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: 03-07-2024, 20:38
  2. General My brand new Shapeways planes
    By Baron Rolf in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 00:09
  3. General Shapeways Planes
    By alpine in forum Shapeways Models