Ares Games
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shapeways planes in full color?

Hanriots would be fun but I wasn't sure how many people were interested in Italian/Belgian planes.

They've got a bit of gloss.... But then, so did a lot of actual planes, due to the coatings they'd put over the paint (e.g. linseed oil). I'd describe it as "satiny", as the surface doesn't look polished so the reflections are not uniform.

A matte coat spray would almost certainly work, but I'd recommend testing on a small portion of the underside in case it acts as a solvent or something, since I don't know that anyone has tried it.

I think the Willie Coppens Hanriot in the Belgium Cammo scheme would be neat. I don't care much for the Ares bright blue one. Also, the Austria-Hungary Albatros with the carpet fabric paint scheme would be interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    Hanriots would be fun but I wasn't sure how many people were interested in Italian/Belgian planes.

They've got a bit of gloss.... But then, so did a lot of actual planes, due to the coatings they'd put over the paint (e.g. linseed oil). I'd describe it as "satiny", as the surface doesn't look polished so the reflections are not uniform.

A matte coat spray would almost certainly work, but I'd recommend testing on a small portion of the underside in case it acts as a solvent or something, since I don't know that anyone has tried it.
    Hard to gauge true interest I am sure. The Italian Hanriot gets overlooked, but the Italians had half their squadrons equipped with them by 1918. They should appear on the tabletop far more often. As for the Belgian ones, pure selfish interest on my part. I would love seeing more Belgian aircraft period.

I think a series of 9me Escadrille would be excellent.

If you are taking requests how about the Showbird Spads of the 94th? Post war I know but let's be honest, most Allied planes are BORING!

Showbird Spad photo LINK.

Of course if you do that I'm going to go broke and my wife is going to be TICKED!
    Last edited by BwanaJoe; 02-16-2022 at 09:45.

And/Or more Bavarian Air Force paint schemes! I found an alternate for a pilot you already produce. (That maybe going to far...)

Bavarian paint schemes HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    If you are taking requests how about the Showbird Spads of the 94th? Post war I know but let's be honest, most Allied planes are BORING!

Showbird Spad photo LINK.
    It was fun making cards for all nine of those SPADs.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

For now I'm focused on during-the-war historical paint schemes, but there is room for others in the future. I have found some pretty spectacular Entente paint schemes but you're right that they're less common.

If people are making requests, how about the Albatros W-4?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic 1.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	311755

Name:	Pic 2.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	311756

Name:	Pic 3.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	311757

Name:	Pic 4.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	311758
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Some recent additions to the hangar. The Hanriot wings were pretty droopy, and the Albatros a little, but easily fixed with the hot water/ice water treatment. The Camels and Dr1s were fine, but dunked 'em anyway. Great stuff, Daryl.

Stark Dr1

Name:	0320221223.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	312923

Voss Dr1

Name:	0320221222a.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	312924

Loeser Alb D.III

Name:	0320221221a.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	312925

Olieslagers Hanriot HD1

Name:	0320221221.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	312926

de Meulemeester Hanriot HD1

Name:	0320221220.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	312927

Breadner Camel

Name:	0320221219_HDR.jpg 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	312928

Hinchliffe Camel

Name:	0320221219.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	312929

Collishaw Camel

Name:	0320221218b.jpg 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	312930

Wow -- thanks for the photos!

As a side note, I tend to notice that the "satiny effect" shows up a lot more in photos than with the naked eye. At some point I'll get brave enough to try spraying one with a light overspray sealer, but I'll have to wait for warmer weather. (I'll test it first on an obscure corner of the plane in case it acts as a solvent or something.)
    Last edited by ReducedAirFact; 03-20-2022 at 15:39.

Wow -- thanks for the photos!

As a side note, I tend to notice that the "satiny effect" shows up a lot more in photos than with the naked eye. At some point I'll get brave enough to try spraying one with a light overspray sealer, but I'll have to wait for warmer weather.
    No problem, sir.
    Some of the shine is due to my overhead light (trying some solutions to diffuse that), I don't notice it in person. The Stark Dr1 photo is probably most representative.

Loving the Hanriots. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Technology is AWESOME!!! These are great

Merry Christmas!

Daryl wanted to thank me for helping with color schemes for this project. Today, I received a package.

Name:	IMG_20221208_1530220.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	321514

Inside I found this:

Name:	IMG_20221208_1531550.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	321515

Name:	IMG_20221208_1532163.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	321516

This is awesome! And the color scheme and the arrival time make it even more special.

Thank you very much, Daryl. Helping you with your project was a lot of fun. Getting this plane means a lot.

Now, I have to print up the card I made...
    Link-> OldGuy59's WWI Central Powers Fighters Album - Loeser Card
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-09-2022 at 17:08.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Congratulations Mike. Awesome gift and well deserved. A class act by Daryl too!

That's a class gift, Daryl

"He is wise who watches"

Well, my thanks go to Mike (OldGuy59) for his contributions on most of the Albatros D.III color schemes!

Congrats Mike - and what a great contribution

Far better than my DVII. Fictional scheme from the book "The Kaiser's Yanks" about Jasta Von Steuben.

Name:	IMG_20151209_150547.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	321559

Looks good to me! What is the premise of the book?

Looks good to me! What is the premise of the book?
    It's about a group of Americans who, early in the war, volunteer to fly for Germany. They finally wind up in an all-American unit called Jasta von Steuben. The antithesis of the Lafayette Escadrille.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It's about a group of Americans who, early in the war, volunteer to fly for Germany. They finally wind up in an all-American unit called Jasta von Steuben. The antithesis of the Lafayette Escadrille.
    looks like a book worth reading for a bit of light relief. I wonder how they would make out against the Lafayette Flying Corps?

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The Kaiser's Yanks????? Okay, completely new one on me. Could be interesting.

OK So I had my Shapeways order of 17 1/144 WWI aircraft in Natural Full Colour Nylon 12 (MJF) - all of which arrived today in really great condition, apart from one bent propeller that is easily dealt with. I'm very impressed - thanks Daryl. The pic below will be followed, when I can get around to it, by more and hopefully better photos. In the meantime, there was one hitch. I ordered a RAF FE2b in night time (black) but instead I received a pleasant cuckoo in the nest in the form of the Airco DH2 which I hadn't ordered. Full credit to Shapeways who dealt with the matter incredibly quickly. Sadly though, they say my FE2b has been withdrawn because of production difficulties involving breaking struts - teething problems I guess. Not sure I fully understand that as the FE2b shown in this photo was perfect!
    One other hitch, UK buyers. Having ordered them all at once, to save on postage, I got stung for customs duty and UPS handling charges to the tune of Ł47.00 ish. Ouch, that hurt and will undoubtedly make me think twice before ordering again. A pity, because these models are very good.

Name:	FE2b and DH2 reduced size.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	321911

Mike - FYI my RAF FE2b in FCN12 in normal “daylight” colors didn’t have any strut problems either.

And the range of DFW C-Vs & LVG C-VIs I asked my family to gift me has arrived: as with Mike, the only issue seems to be a bent propeller on the FA 48b DFW-easily dealt with. Excellent job, Daryl!

Name:	WoGHaul, 2022.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	321913

FYI my RAF FE2b in FCN12 in normal “daylight” colors didn’t have any strut problems either.
    Cheers Craig. I expect its an issue that Daryl is aware of and hopefully the night time FE2b will find its way back onto the list again presently. Having got over the initial shock of paying a lot of customs duty, I'm sure I'll not be able to resist ordering more in the not too distant future after all So many very tasty offerings out there

Those are sweet -- thanks for the pictures!

One of the FE2bs was not liked by the head of their print department, even though the parts in question were the same as the other FE2bs that have printed successfully. I'll look into what I can do to make it more acceptable to them without messing with the proportions too badly.

When I was selling the full-color prints through Etsy, I found a strange phenomenon on shipments to the UK and taxes. For orders below a certain size of order in Ł-sterling, Shapeways would include the VAT in the original order, so you'd get what you paid for. Above that magic price, though, Shapeways didn't charge VAT and expected the UK government to collect it directly on delivery. And for a very narrow range, both entities tried to collect taxes. It made things very confusing because I had to estimate the taxes in Etsy so I'd get refunded the right amount on the Shapeways order, which was made on my credit card, shipped to the customer, but refunded by Etsy. It was a mess!

Fortunately the Etsy piece of that is gone, but it sounds like large Shapeways orders to the UK may still come with a tax collector in tow. I could look up that magic price in my email-records if anyone's interested, but I'm sure it is subject to change from year to year.

Those are sweet -- thanks for the pictures!

One of the FE2bs was not liked by the head of their print department, even though the parts in question were the same as the other FE2bs that have printed successfully. I'll look into what I can do to make it more acceptable to them without messing with the proportions too badly.

When I was selling the full-color prints through Etsy, I found a strange phenomenon on shipments to the UK and taxes. For orders below a certain size of order in Ł-sterling, Shapeways would include the VAT in the original order, so you'd get what you paid for. Above that magic price, though, Shapeways didn't charge VAT and expected the UK government to collect it directly on delivery. And for a very narrow range, both entities tried to collect taxes. It made things very confusing because I had to estimate the taxes in Etsy so I'd get refunded the right amount on the Shapeways order, which was made on my credit card, shipped to the customer, but refunded by Etsy. It was a mess!

Fortunately the Etsy piece of that is gone, but it sounds like large Shapeways orders to the UK may still come with a tax collector in tow. I could look up that magic price in my email-records if anyone's interested, but I'm sure it is subject to change from year to year.
    This is the current advice from .gov.uk

You will not have to pay anything to the delivery company to receive goods worth less than Ł135 unless they’re gifts over Ł39 or excise goods (for example, alcohol and tobacco).

Great photo of the planes, Mike! Very sorry to hear the troubles with VAT and your order, but that's a great-looking DH.2

Dear Santa Daryl,

Maybe for 2024... These are probably not high up on everyone's Wish List (certainly not Tim's ) but are neat late-war planes. I could provide scale drawings, photos, and profiles.

Gotha W.D.14
    Hansa-Brandenburg W.33

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Dear Santa Daryl,

Maybe for 2024... These are probably not high up on everyone's Wish List (certainly not Tim's ) but are neat late-war planes. I could provide scale drawings, photos, and profiles.

Gotha W.D.14
    Hansa-Brandenburg W.33
    "See-Frosty The Snowman...!"

These are probably not high up on everyone's Wish List (certainly not Tim's )
    Whatever do you mean by that?

Oh, yeah..."winged boats!"

A fair point, well made.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    "See-Frosty The Snowman...!"
    Took me a second but well-played

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Suggestion: I think quite a few regular Wings of Glory players can handle flying two planes in the same game, especially if the two planes are the same type. So it might be great if the full color nylon prints of plane models came out in even numbers so that buyers could purchase pairs. I noticed that there is only one Belgian Sopwith Pup, only one Belgian SPAD VII, only one Belgian Nieuport 23, only one Belgian RE 8, and 3 Belgian Hanriot H.D. 1's among the current offerings. Also, there are 3 Italian Hanriots and 3 Italian SPAD XIII's. (Yes, I'm thinking about buying them all.)

Another suggestion: the Wikipedia page for the Belgian airforce has a great color image of a Belgian Sopwith Camel in a museum. I don't know if that plane is the same one that was modeled in the original Wings of War or not. The image is really nice. A couple of Belgian Sopwith Camels would probably be a nice addition to the lineup.

Likely to be Jan Olieslagers' machine, which was released as a model by Nexus. Daryl doesn't repeat 'official' models.

"He is wise who watches"

A couple of Belgium Camels would be nice!

Someday I hope to pick up The Belgian Air Service in the First World War, but so far I haven't seen one less than US$100. I'm sure I'll add more Italian planes over time, though... that's a given. If you have a specific one in mind, send me a request.

Chris, I was surprised to find a Marine Schlasta Halberstadt CL.II paint scheme. I didn't know they flew them.

Someday I hope to pick up The Belgian Air Service in the First World War, but so far I haven't seen one less than US$100. I'm sure I'll add more Italian planes over time, though... that's a given. If you have a specific one in mind, send me a request.

Chris, I was surprised to find a Marine Schlasta Halberstadt CL.II paint scheme. I didn't know they flew them.
    Unfortunately, the Belgian Air Service book remains firmly at that price, but it's a good'un. If you need any info or scans from it, I can help, Daryl.

Yes, a bunch of Halberstadts! Seefrosta inventory lists 8 and See II has 9, there were also Rumplers that ultimately were preferred for recce. In the early days Seefrosta had to use Albatros scouts at high altitude to survey the Channel and would deadstick hopefully back to the coast if engine trouble. Rolshoven complained and 18 March '18 was the first Halb. CL.II flight in a pair of the type. A few days later they used them off Dunkirk in Operation Michael to search for wreckage of two German torpedo boats sunk by the French - usually they provided cover to the torpedo boats in operations. In at least one instance the boats they were covering were attacked by DH.4's.

I love your version and have added it to the shopping cart to be paired with the one I made The irony is that Rolshoven complained about this particular loaner aircraft as having a weak engine lol.

Name:	halb lion photo.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	335841 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	halb_lion.jpg 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	335842

Name:	halb_lion_right.jpg 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	335843

My index to all plane types and units in the Seefrosta book

SEEFROSTA FLANDERS

Albatros D.III(OAW) profile p31 Hans Rolshoven (photo caption p9 differs from profile colors).
    Albatros D.III(OAW) profile p14 “infinity.”
    Albatros D.III(OAW) profile p135 “masonic eye.”
    Albatros D.Va profile p135 Karl Meyer.
    Albatros D.Va profile p52 Hans Bieber.
    Albatros D.Va profile p150 Reinhold Poss.
    Albatros D.Va profile p2 “rising sun.”
    Fokker D.VII profile p136 Hubrich. P101, 104.
    Fokker D.VII profile p137 Spies.
    Fokker E.V pic p117. pilot Paul Achilles p105(E.164/18) and E.165/18), p109.
    Halberstadt CL.II profile p43. lion decal. p38-39 Operation Michael.
    Halberstadt CL.II profile p80 YinYang. p60, 66, 72, 75, 77, 81, 83, 94, 95, 102.
    Hansa-Brandenberg W-12 and W.19 (Ostend, Zeebrugge) p17, 24 (#1012 4-leaf clover, #1016), p45 (#2102)
    Pfalz D.IIIa profiles p27, 28 Flugmaat Undiener, 4167/17 yin-yang.
    Rumpler C.IV profile p136. p57, 62-64, 66, 77, 81, 83(8177/17), 86, 89, 94(7662/17).

Index of enemy planes encountered
    Curtiss H.12 and Felixstowe F.2A flying boats: p5

Airco DH4
    RNAS 5 Sqn p23, 25, 30-31 (N6008 Richardson/Furby)
    RNAS 2 Sqn p24
    RAF 25 Sqn p84
    RAF 202 Sqn p3, p54 (N5969 Jenkins/Pendred) p57 (N5985 Everitt/Stennet) (N5989 ‘L’ Biles/Gowing) p78, 115
    RAF 217 Sqn p83, 84 (attacked H-B W12s on water)

Airco DH9
    RAF 98 Sqn p 67, 75, 78
    RAF 206 Sqn p108
    RAF 209 Sqn p64
    RAF 211 Sqn p60, 107, see pics p66, 69-71
    RAF 217 Sqn see pic p79
    RAF 218 Sqn p84, 89, 92, 104, 105, 107, 109

Armstrong-Whitworth F.K.8
    RAF 38 Sqn p88

Bristol F2B
    ?? p48
    RAF 88 Sqn p65

Handley-Page 0/100
    RNAS 7 Sqn p25
    RNAS 75 Sqn p24
    RAF 214 Sqn p53, p46 (3119)
    RAF 215 Sqn p46 (1462)

Hanriot HD2 floatplane
    French p53, 57, 59(pilots, plane #s), see pics p73-74

Sopwith Camel – add ‘200’ to RNAS Sqn for RAF #
    RNAS 4 Sqn p23, p40
    Seaplane-Defence p24, 41
    RNAS 13 Sqn p31, 41 (pilots, plane #s)
    RNAS 10 Sqn p34
    RAF 204 Sqn p105, 107
    RAF 210 Sqn p107
    RAF 213 Sqn p45 (pilots, plane #s), 75, 92, 95, 113, 115
    17th Pursuit Sqn (USAS) p105, 107
    148th Pursuit Sqn (USAS) p107, 110 (E1409 Wyly, same unit as Lawrence Callahan, Louisville KY)

Sopwith Pup
    Seaplane-Defence-Flight p6, pic p121

"Sopwiths" (Camels)
    RAF 203 Sqn p88

SPAD XIII
    Escadrille Spa 75 p6
    Escadrille Spa 80 p6
    Escadrille Spa 83 p6
    Escadrille Spa 313 (American pilots) p101
    Last edited by malachi; 02-15-2024 at 06:29.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. WSF 1/144 WGF & 1/144 + 1/200 WGS Planes on Shapeways
    By Teaticket in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: 03-07-2024, 20:38
  2. General My brand new Shapeways planes
    By Baron Rolf in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 00:09
  3. General Shapeways Planes
    By alpine in forum Shapeways Models