Ares Games

Thread: Custom bases... Are they out of stock?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Default Custom bases... Are they out of stock?

So, I noticed that under the custom bases it says sold out. What's the deal? Not doing custom bases right now? I have several customs that I would like to have done.

I have seen that the generic scout base is out as well as some of the planes. I wonder if Keith is a bit overwhelmed with life right now.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I have seen that the generic scout base is out as well as some of the planes. I wonder if Keith is a bit overwhelmed with life right now.
    Makes me wonder as well. I sent him a PM here in the Aerodrome but have yet to receive any reply.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Hi,
    I need custom bases for the Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV (both with and without the remote chin turret .30 MG (rear facing), SM.79 Spaviero, C-47, Ju.52 with and without side firing arcs, B-29 Heavy Bomber, B-24 Heavy Bomber.
    Keith, are you doing any custom bases at all?

I don't currently have any clear acrylic sheets right now, so I'm listing them as out of stock.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Okay thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I don't currently have any clear acrylic sheets right now, so I'm listing them as out of stock.
    Keith, any idea when you will restock? I need (ahem, I mean a friend of mine in Europe needs ) about 20 fighter and 20 bomber custom bases.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Keith, any idea when you will restock? I need (ahem, I mean a friend of mine in Europe needs ) about 20 fighter and 20 bomber custom bases.
    Yeah, what he said. I'm needing about 20 custom small and large Bomber bases me own self laddie.

I would happily buy about 10 more scout basic flight stands when they're available

My wish list is some generic scout, two seater and some of his Caproni bases.

Hello All

Is there anybody out there producing scout bases?

Litkop has them:
    https://litko.net/collections/miniat...ght-bases-wow#
    You'll need adaptors for their pegs.
    I did find that the 5mm lock nuts will fit snuggly for the bomber pegs;
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post563101

I have some 2mm hex nuts to try with the fighter pegs.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks Karl.

Have sent a UK stockist a request

Iain

The litko work pretty good.

They are not a nice as the Aerodrome versions, but they work fine.

I let lasercut mine from acrylic sheet 4mm thick by a local company. They were able to engrave markings, but I did not go that way. Instead I printed graphic on transparent sticker and stick it from bellow the base. It looks almost like original. And it was cheaper than Litko.

Red Eagle miniatures also did a flying base compatible with Wings, not seen them in a while though

Litko are unusable. The Arrow and Notch are on the wrong ends on the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post
    And yet many people manage to use them successfully..

"He is wise who watches"

So, not trying to start anything but I’d like to clarify because I am in the market for bases. Here is a shot of a Litko WoG base, click HERE.

(Tried posting just the picture but the site is giving me an invalid image error or bad link error. )

These look correct to me. So, I guess the question is, are they currently produced like the ones in the pictures or have they changed it…

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post
    So, not trying to start anything but I’d like to clarify because I am in the market for bases. Here is a shot of a Litko WoG base, click HERE.

(Tried posting just the picture but the site is giving me an invalid image error or bad link error. )

These look correct to me. So, I guess the question is, are they currently produced like the ones in the pictures or have they changed it…
    Joe, I just bought some and they work pretty good. You have to glue an altitude peg to them because the hole isn't the correct size. I took a black sharpie and went over the etching to make them a bit more visible. They work good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BwanaJoe View Post

The base is incorrect, in that the Arrow at the forward edge should be a simple line, and the simple line at the rear edge should be an Arrow.
    Doesn't really matter, though - draw a black Arrow, the same size as the black arrow on a Wings card, with a Sharpie over the top of the simple line at the base rear, and you're good to go!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Red Eagle still do them at the bottom of this page:

http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/ww1%20rules.html
    The Red Eagle bases have an Arrow at BOTH the front AND the rear edges!

Same fix as for the Litko bases - use a Sharpie to draw a black arrow, identical in size to the black arrow found on a Wings card, over the top of the rear edge arrow on the base, and you're good to go!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The base is incorrect, in that the Arrow at the forward edge should be a simple line, and the simple line at the rear edge should be an Arrow.
    Holy cow I never noticed it before! () Ok, more like I never payed attention…

I figure as long as the lines are there with the firing arcs I’m good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Red Eagle still do them at the bottom of this page:

http://www.redeagleminiatures.co.uk/ww1%20rules.html
    Not bad, but I wish he didn't make the arrow so doggone narrow! I think that that's the best that we have to work with, though.

You can made your own. It is easier than you think. I did it myself, because I hate impractical beveled edge of original bases.

I let lasercuted mine by local company I found on Internet from 4mm acrylic sheet. They lasercuted center hole too. I bought pack of transparent A4 stickers for printers and printed graphic on it on my home printer. Then I stick it from below and cut it around the base. It was cheaper than Litko. And since they are not hollow, they are heavier = better stability.

Here is the result.
    Name:  IMG_0578.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  70.1 KB

I can provide data cutter company needs to cut it, if somebody wants to go this route

That looks really good! What sticker sheet are you using that gives such a transparent finish. My experience with such sheets always ends up with a cloudy look.

First stickers I bougth had cloudy look too. You have to look for words transparent and clear (that is important) in the description of the product. I used transparent, clear stickers from company called LOGO.

Petr, that is gorgeous!

Really nice Petr.

As a side note I think the climb rate would be more useful than the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Really nice Petr.

As a side note I think the climb rate would be more useful than the ceiling.
    Not for us We play with house rules for altitude where climb rate is little simlified and is coded in cards we added. But we have climb rate noted on back side of plane card for quick refernce for cases when playng standard altitude rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetr View Post

I can provide data cutter company needs to cut it, if somebody wants to go this route
    Hi Petr.
    I would like the details of the company if you will post them please.
    Also I agree that those stickers are the clearest ones I have ever seen.
    Will you also let me know their details please.
    Finally what printer do you use for the stickers? Is it a Laser or Ink Jet?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Rob.
    Local company I used for laser cutting is this: https://www.levne-gravirovani.cz/rez...tu-a-plexiskla
    Stickers are this one: https://logo-collection.com/logo-sam...t/EPTM125CSF1L

I print it on Laser printer.
    Hope it helps.

Hello! I'm new to the forum and maybe miss something. I also would like to make custom bases. But I think you have to provide some 3D files to the laser cutter to cut the bases in the right size. Could somebody share such files with me? and if possible, a template to print the stickers.

Hi inerro,
    for basic shape like rectangle, dimensions are sufficient. Or simple drawing with dimensions on paper. You choose thickness from their offering of sheets, mine are 4mm thick. In my case they processed it and send me CAD drawing for approval and that was it.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum, hope you are enjoying the game

From the FAQ
    Basing Models:
    Q: I've bought an after market model - how do I know which base to use ?
    A: These are the pertinent points from Andrea:

Wingspan is what determines the base size of planes (number of engines is not a factor).
    The huge planes with wingspans of 29 metres and upwards (Staaken, Felixstowe, HP O/400, etc) have the biggest base (8cm x 11cm approx).
    The big planes with wingspans of 22.2 to 24 metres (Caproni Ca.3, Gotha G.V, Friedrichshafen G.III, etc) have the medium size base (6.8cm x 8.8cm, exactly twice the width of a 'normal' fighter card).
    Planes with a smaller wingspan up to an undefined maximum, a bit larger than the 14.36m span Bregeut 14 (including the 14.55m FE2 and the 15.24m AEG N.I) use the 'normal' fighter base. The exact maximum has not been defined.
    Furthermore Andrea mentions the potential of a fourth base size (one and a half 'normal' cards wide) for those planes with a wingspan of approximately 17-18m (such as the Farman F.40 and the Caudron G.4), but since this base size was declined by Ares it's likely that such planes will have to go down to the 'normal' fighter size base or up to the medium (Gotha etc) size base, although which is not yet decided upon.
    * Zoe suggests as a rule of thumb - Go by wingspan but in boundary cases (smaller than Gotha, larger than Br14), 2 seaters go smaller, 3+ seaters go larger.
    Seems to make sense and as good a compromise as any to break the deadlock.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t-bomber-stats

The base dimensions would be:
    scouts and most two-seaters: 68 x 44mm
    huge planes: Staaken, Handley Page 0/400, Felixstowe flying boats: 80 x 110mm
    large planes: Caproni Ca.3, Gotha G.V, Friedrichshafen G.III: 68 x 88mm
    balloons: 90 x 195mm

I have made a couple "medium" 68 x 66mm bases for "unofficial" planes between wingspan of 16.1 - 22 meters: Friedrichshafen FF33e, Caudron R.11, Caudron G.IV, AEG G.III, G.IV, Lohner L.I, Letord 2, Rumpler G.III, Short 184 Seaplane, etc. but most are a work in progress designing the firing arcs.

The Wings of Linen wiki is a great source of information.

Petr, Chris, thank you for the quick replies! The game definitely deserves the extra effort, so I will try my best to make the bases for scouts. Chris, thank you so much for the extremely detailed answer! Now I have enough data to start!

Thanks for the info Petr.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've purchased some Litko bases through Gaming Enhancements. Will let you know when they arrive. Now where's that Sharpie?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Moth View Post

easily fixed in seconds with a sharp xacto knife.

Similar Missions

1. Custom Aircraft / Custom Cards?
    By Togo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-25-2018, 20:32
  2. WGF Adding mass to stock bases
    By Horse4261 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 15:49
  3. WOW/WOG in stock
    By Linz in forum New Zealand Wing
    Replies: 3