Ares Games

Thread: How it starts...

Default How it starts...

Me, talking to Phillip Marritt (milcoll73) at the end of Origins 2018: "Yes, I enjoyed playing the WWI games, but I don't think I really want to get into the WWI version."
    Also me, about three weeks after Origins 2018:
    Name:  WWI Aircraft.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  128.3 KB

I've heard of 'slippery slopes' but I think yours was a ski jump!

Yup....looks like what happened to me.

It was an accident. I think I was on eBay, looking for WWII planes, and these came up. No boxes, but the whole lot was something like $400. I couldn't pass it up. Then, of course, I had to get other planes to support what I bought...

Thumbs up

That looks pretty normal to me Bob!
    Looks like you got a very good deal.

OK, I feel much more sane now. What a story and what a collection!

But I don’t think I really want to get into the WWII version... uh oh.

I think you said as much to me too Bob and even, very generously, added to my haul of models to bring back across the pond. Happy times !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsalt View Post
    It was an accident. I think I was on eBay, looking for WWII planes, and these came up. No boxes, but the whole lot was something like $400. I couldn't pass it up. Then, of course, I had to get other planes to support what I bought...
    Me too.

My first haul was an ebay lot of 124 planes with six balloons and 5 starter sets - couldn't let it slip by.

Afterwards I said I didn't want to get into WGS, and then.........folded.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

..... :O

I am grateful to have enough to play a good variety for either side of the war. This is an amazing collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Me too.

My first haul was an ebay lot of 124 planes with six balloons and 5 starter sets - couldn't let it slip by.
    So a small-ish order for you then?

Jeff.......................................

Blimey, slippery slope? You fell off a cliff, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Haha, when I first considered starting my wife and I said 'okay maybe 12 to 18 planes should be enough' and even then we debated buying in. Plastic crack is a real addiction.

No slippery slope there.

You went full bobsled.

Yep, how true...

“Okay, but this is the LAST collectible game I buy into.”

-me, four collectible games ago (my ability to persuade myself is dang near an art form)

Outstanding collection, Bob!

Me, earlier today, looking at my collection:

Name:  im-never-going-to-financially-recover-from-this-joe-exotic-tiger-king-meme.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  36.8 KB

id apologize for putting you down a path to spending your hard earned money, but........I.REGRET.NOTHING!!!!

btw, i did the same thing for my buddy tom (merlin14). id been trying to get him to play for 3+ years after i 1st played the game because i knew hed love it. sure enough when i finally got him to play he jumped in with both feet and no parachute. weird thing is, when he got into the game (around 8-17), there started the weirdest confluence of wow availability and affordability for minis. and by the time he had most of the wonderful little minis, it mostly dried up. his family heritage is irish, sssssssooooooooooo.....

my other buddy into the game big time rick (black kniggit) got himself into the game after watching me play at origins 2013. her also jumped in with both feet and promptly ambled over to ares booth and bought every mini available lol.

i reiterate...I.REGRET.NOTHING!!!!

Sherlochnumber1.....

He is Spartacus!

He is the one who introduced me to this "little game", as Andrea describes it, so shoot him down every chance you get!

It's all bout the fun and learning. FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    id apologize for putting you down a path to spending your hard earned money, but........I.REGRET.NOTHING!!!!

btw, i did the same thing for my buddy tom (merlin14). id been trying to get him to play for 3+ years after i 1st played the game because i knew hed love it. sure enough when i finally got him to play he jumped in with both feet and no parachute. weird thing is, when he got into the game (around 8-17), there started the weirdest confluence of wow availability and affordability for minis. and by the time he had most of the wonderful little minis, it mostly dried up. his family heritage is irish, sssssssooooooooooo.....

my other buddy into the game big time rick (black kniggit) got himself into the game after watching me play at origins 2013. her also jumped in with both feet and promptly ambled over to ares booth and bought every mini available lol.

i reiterate...I.REGRET.NOTHING!!!!
    8/17... that's right after I started playing (Origins 2017), and I was also lucky - you could still get most of the WWII line, and I got lucky a few times on eBay on ones that were unavailable. Now... I'd hate to be just getting into the WWII game now.

Similar Missions

1. Battle of Britain starts now!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-17-2017, 04:42
  2. Airventure 2016 starts Monday
    By BB401 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 10:44
  3. Battle of Britain Campaign Starts - Day 1 and 2
    By hoady02 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 15