Ares Games

Thread: Console ideas

Default Console ideas

Hi all,

I have been thinking about how to make the consoles a little more interesting while including a couple of the house rules. This is what I have come up with so far...any suggestions/omission corrections are most welcome. My thought was to have a different console background for Entente and Central Powers for single and two-seaters.
    Originally I included the ammo/jammed gun on the actual console, but with so many configurations (eg, 3 for Brisfits), I thought it better to have this separate.

I already use stiffened sheets of felt for placing the normal consoles on to avoid card scuffing and make them easier to pick up. So, I am thinking that by using a couple of Velcro dots on the backs of the generic consoles and the specific ammo trackers, I can have a library of them ready to mix and match as required - I wouldn't need as many consoles as ammo trackers then. I also plan to make hoods to hide information that the enemy is not supposed to see.

Cheers, Peter.

Name:  British 2-S Console.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  90.7 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  53.4 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  93.5 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  95.3 KB

Peter, your consoles certainly look more interesting than the WoG ones. We generally use the WoW consoles because we find them better.
    How does your damage +1 work? You obviously don't plan to keep a second pile of cards that are +1. I am guessing from the photograph with the die, that you keep turning the die over each time a +1 is required. What about when you draw a zero on a +1? Normally that is put on the +1 pile, and the opponent knows you have taken damage and recorded it as +1, even though that doesn't apply to a zero.
    Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much for your feedback, Doug. I’ve never seen a Wings of War console.
    With the +1, I would put the damage card on the damage pile as normal and move the die on by one. The opponent shouldn’t be able to tell the damage card was actually a zero. However, in doing this I am presuming +1 would still count on a zero damage card, or doesn’t it?
    Cheers, Peter.

Nice job. When playing solo I often face the problem that I need to move the consoles around as my table is not that big. I would surely use your console.

Btw I have done a quick&dirty console app for solo players. The idea is to reduce the components on the table and to support in book-keeping operations, especially when handling many airplanes. If some professional app-programmer liked to take up the idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot Pete View Post
    However, in doing this I am presuming +1 would still count on a zero damage card, or doesn’t it?.
    See rule book page 19: Zeroes, however, are still considered zeroes.

. However, in doing this I am presuming +1 would still count on a zero damage card, or doesn’t it?
    Cheers, Peter.
    As Fabrizio said, if you draw a zero on a +1, it is still only zero. I was playing the game for a while before I realised that was the case.
    You don't want to flag to your opponent that you have drawn a zero, so you still put it on the +1 pile. However, when you come to count the damage done, you can ignore all those zeros in the +1 pile.
    This being the case you will probably need to make a modification to your draft console. All the best in working out how to achieve that without being detrimental to the work you have already done.

Cheers guys. Thanks for the clarification, will amend to compensate for the +1 damage cards.
    P.

Certainly a worth work. As others have said, though, if you have the original WoW consoles, they seem to work better in general-but the drawback is that they are quit ea bit larger, and this can be a problem in limited space.

Peter, very nice! I would print them out and use them.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    As others have said, though, if you have the original WoW consoles, they seem to work better in general-but the drawback is that they are quite a bit larger, and this can be a problem in limited space.
    Are the WoW consoles that much bigger? With the WoG consoles you have to put your manoeuvre cards and damage cards on the table either side of the console. By the time you have done that the area covered is much the same. And the WoW consoles have the advantage that you can pick them up and move them mid game with no trouble because everything is on the console.

I'll post a comparison picture tomorrow. Lights out time here.

Quote Originally Posted by Windy Jack View Post
    And the WoW consoles have the advantage that you can pick them up and move them mid game with no trouble because everything is on the console.
    When I first started dabbling with actually playing in 2015, after collecting aircraft for over a year, I only used the Ares WoG version until I got my first Nexus sets and never went back.
    The other useful ones (like I am using for the PM games played in the forum) are the ones that Keith sells on the site Aerodrome store. HERE

Here is the WoW cockpit:

Name:  DD43F09D-31F1-4172-8041-743A4FFD2AEE.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  180.8 KB

We always use them unless we have no choice (eg Tripods)

Thank you, Biggles; having great trouble with the internet this morning, which prevents me from posting the promised photo.

The 'WoW' cockpit is the one I use the most, it being sturdy enough to lift and carry around a gaming table.

I also use Keith's laser cut 3D cockpits, both WW1 and WW2, but they take up much more carry space.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I posted a few images of WWF, and my takes on Tripods & Triplanes, consoles, here: OldGuy59's WoW WWI Consoles album
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

They look great, Mike.

Love your tripods console Mike! I just might have to copy some for our Tripod punch ups

Hi all,

I have tweaked my consoles to come up with two options, taking on board the comments received. Both are now specific, requiring a console for each aircraft. I think this will be better in the long run as each breed will now have the appropriate console. I prefer the second option (even though it is a tiny bit wider, at 214 x 160mm), as the hidden information is all near the top of the console where it can easily be hidden by a small opaque 'windshield'.
    Any further comments or suggestions are most welcome, and thanks to all for sharing WoW consoles, etc.

Regards, Peter.Name:  Console 1.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  99.9 KBName:  Console 2.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  99.9 KB

The tweak makes a lot of sense! Well-done effort overall.

Great work on the new design, Peter.

I like these layouts. No personal preference, but they both look good to me.

I'd still somewhere want to park my manoeuvre deck & plane card myself, just to keep it all together.

"He is wise who watches"

only suggestion - don't name the plane, or you wil have to do one for every plane!!! Will there be a scout variant or one console fits all and assume we're all clever enough to figure it out as it stands

Here is my Mk III console - included is a size comparison with the WoG console. I have just printed in B&W as it was a trial. Name:  Capture final.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  97.8 KBName:  a.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  116.0 KBName:  b.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  121.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    only suggestion - don't name the plane, or you will have to do one for every plane!!! Will there be a scout variant or one console fits all and assume we're all clever enough to figure it out as it stands
    Hi Iain,

I don't doubt anyone's cleverness... except mine . It's been a bit of a play exercise really, but I do intend to have one for every plane, with the appropriate photo background. I 'only' have about 20 planes so it won't be too difficult, especially as multiples of the same type will need little if any alteration (eg, gun configuration on Brisfits). I have taken on board what you said about the name of the plane and moved it so that it can be sliced off if people prefer to have the console more generic.

Hi Dave,
    I'd still somewhere want to park my manoeuvre deck & plane card myself, just to keep it all together.

I couldn't believe I had forgotten the plane card, so thanks for that! It can now sit comfortably on top of the silhouette as shown.
    I haven't allowed for the maneuver deck, but neither does the WoG console...it can just sit beside the console.

Cheers, Peter.

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated. If people want, I am happy to keep posting these as they are completed, or email PDFs.

Regards, Peter.

Hi Dave, I'd still somewhere want to park my manoeuvre deck & plane card myself, just to keep it all together.
    I couldn't believe I had forgotten the plane card, so thanks for that! It can now sit comfortably on top of the silhouette as shown..
    That looks like what I was going to suggest for the plane card Pete. If you pull the special damage into one area you could make room for the manoeuvre deck.

"He is wise who watches"

All done!
    Finished and laminated console for Brisfit. Fits everything, including manoeuvre deck.
    Just a little tweak for weapon configuration between the three versions, as shown.

For aircraft which do not vary, eg Camels, I will just make generic consoles.
    Thanks for your input folks.

Cheers Peter.
    Name:  D18F850B-EB8B-4803-88AA-3685E693000F.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  104.1 KBName:  A1012662-2239-4038-9815-EA67510E3485.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  109.6 KBName:  E6C65EDB-EE9E-454D-BEFA-87EC1FC0C11C.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  113.0 KB

i really like those consoles pete! and i love the artwork!

Cheers, Phillip.
    I’m enjoying it and will post more very soon.

Keep it up you are improving the game we need more of this.

Cheers Mike,
    Greatly appreciated.
    Peter

A few more consoles completed.
    Albatros DVa - generic
    Airco DH4 - Bartlett/Naylor
    Pfalz DIII - generic
    Sopwith Camel -generic

Name:  Albatros DVa.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  94.1 KBName:  DH4.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  76.3 KBName:  Pfalz DIII.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  77.1 KBName:  Sopwith Camel.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  92.7 KB

Love the amount of effort you've put into this, Peter. Not the least, those background images to the aircraft status boards (even if most of it will be covered by cards during the game!

Similar Missions

1. Console STL files
    By maestrostewart in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2021, 20:45
  2. 3D Print Console
    By Mike Wyant in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-26-2020, 10:13
  3. Console Crafting
    By das Phantom in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 21