Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April Workbench 2021

Default April Workbench 2021

This may take a while to get working...

EIV on left and EIII on right.
    Printed nose down at about 65 degrees. Weirdly the leading edge is warped and droops down and that is where the supports were all the way along. The trailing edge is straight.

Trying a run now at 45 degrees with more supports on the wings - don't think I'll attempt the FK10 just yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210403_163826109.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	299615

Now using macro lens on phone - can see the layers - these are about 0.05mm (1/20 mm) - would probably vanish under a coat of paint.

The resin is tough, probably not quite as strong as Shapeways versatile but close, with the level of detail of shapeways fine detail.

Name:	IMG_20210403_163728591.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	299616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210403_163752340.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	299617

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Hi, I always print with the tail down with a 70 degree angle to get best results but you do need to reduce the contact depth and size of the support top in your software. Also with the wing droop you can add some extra supports at a 40 degree angle on the underneath of the wing above the trailing edge to help with the wing droop. Another way I found was to increase the thickness of the supports on the outside of the wing or add extra supports to the outside support, if you see what I mean. I am now trying a printout and you can see the extra supports I have added to try to remove the wing droop.

Where did you get the stl from for the Fokker?

Name:	camel.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	299618

Studio man cave got blitzed yesterday so hopefully get some productive time in there this month.

Quote Originally Posted by elffriend View Post
    Hi, I always print with the tail down with a 70 degree angle to get best results but you do need to reduce the contact depth and size of the support top in your software. Also with the wing droop you can add some extra supports at a 40 degree angle on the underneath of the wing above the trailing edge to help with the wing droop. Another way I found was to increase the thickness of the supports on the outside of the wing or add extra supports to the outside support, if you see what I mean. I am now trying a printout and you can see the extra supports I have added to try to remove the wing droop.

Where did you get the stl from for the Fokker?
    45 degrees was worse - ended up with swept wings !

Just so many supports when you do it tail down, especially as I want to do a quadriplane next

However - just pouring a bit of recently boiled water over the wings let me bend them straight - all good now, I'll paint them up and see how they look.

STL's? - I have a few to hand https://www.shapeways.com/shops/decapod

At the rate it prints it would take me a while to get through them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Lol, I never looked at your user name, I just wish we could buy some of your stl's to printout. I never tend to worry about the supports as they are easy to remove but as you say it's a different matter with a quadriplane. The hot water will sort it out but sometimes they bend back over time, I have had good results with extra supports on underside of wing to keep them straight as they print .

Finally finished! Tamiya 1973 vintage Ki-84. Only used one decal, the running rabbit. Of course, since it is 48 years old, it is badly silvered. The rest of the markings are all airbrushed with hand cut masks. The image quality reduction hurts it a lot. There is a lot of detail that can’t be seen. You ca ant even see the rigging. I enjoyed building it, almost the entire time. It’s funny, as I was putting the final touches on it, I noticed what looked like red paint spilled all over. Of course, my blood pressure probably went through the roof. As I’m wondering where the heck it came from, I noticed the bloody cut on my finger. I ran for some wet paper towels, and it all came off fine. Then I checked to see how bad the cut was....

Name:	IMG_2314.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	299631

Name:	IMG_2316.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	299632

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	299633

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	299634
    Last edited by Dak21; 04-03-2021 at 17:30.

Love the weathering/ wear and tear effects. Nice work Dave

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Fantastic!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Very smart Dave, great job.

"He is wise who watches"

Great work, Dave. Sorry you had to bleed for the cause (again), but that's modeling Hope it's not too bad a cut.

Home alone (until a ZOOM call with the sisters), so more decaling. Might have something to show this month (finally!).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Amazing work, Dave.
    Are you sure you haven't secretly found a shrinking machine and used on a 1:1 from the museum?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated! I’m thinking about doing a 1/350 Shimakaze class destroyer next. Not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated! I’m thinking about doing a 1/350 Shimakaze class destroyer next. Not sure yet.
    Good scale for down on deck attacks.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Cool

Changed my print orientations angled 45 degrees in two dimensions
    Worked pretty well to get a DH2, FE8 and Halb D2 in one hit.
    (plus 3 aerosans)

Name:	IMG_20210405_123805834.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	299729

Having a 3D printer must be brilliant...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

This month I added a couple of more pieces of 1/56 scale Bolt Action Armor. A "Blitzkrieg Models" resin and metal M3 Lee (a re-creation of the 1943 Sahara - Humphrey Bogart - Lulubelle) and a plastic "Warlord/Italeri" Panzer IV (Ausf G) as the Afrika Corp. opponent.

Name:	IMG_3862 (4).jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	299766

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	299765

Name:	IMG_3920.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	299767

Name:	IMG_3929.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	299768

Name:	IMG_3932.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	299769

Armor Faceoff.

Outstanding, Willi !

Nice tanks!

Nice Willi. Nice reference to Bogart. Good movie with some not well know actors before they were big,

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Nice Willi. Nice reference to Bogart. Good movie with some not well know actors before they were big,
    Remade later with James Belushi - both films failed to appreciate that there were no American ground forces in the Western Desert (East of Tobruk) at that time (fall of Tobruk, June 1942) - American tanks didn't arrive in North Africa until November 1942, in the 'Torch' landings at the other end of northern Africa (over 1500 miles away!) the OTHER (Western) SIDE of Tobruk!!!!!

Very nice tanks.

Those are some cool tanks! You must need a huge area to play armor games at that scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    Those are some cool tanks! You must need a huge area to play armor games at that scale.
    One reason I'm not that into Bolt Action figures (despite owning a lot; painted by our own Shadowcat).
    The game store I play at has tons of 28mm terrain for the tables; BA, WH AoS etc. So that's what I bought into to play up there.
    If I had the time and space for terrain building, en masse, I would go 15mm. The game feels better with the increased (scale) space.
    That said, these tanks are great. 28mm does give you a great size for really realistic painting; and these are right up there.
    Karl

Been gearing back up for Flames of War in 15mm myself but not sure I like the new rules. They are pushing tank wars rather then infantry fights. Same with Bolt Action to a point. Flames of War also streamlined the rules, stripped out all the HQ support stands from units, and transport for the most part also. Seem to be going to all plastic and are eliminating as many SKU's as they can. They are also shrinking units so they do not have to produce as many infantry to fill out a unit. All cost cutting issues for them as they convert over. Case in point is they put the same sprue in the 3rd and 4th edition starter set Open Fire vs Hit the beach. But now you have extra figs on the sprue as they removed command stands and cut some figs from the units (and got rid of the horrible large base Panzerschrek 4 man teams and went to small 2 figure bases instead. Also having issues for 10 buck sprues for a tank or gun that maybe cost 1 buck to produce. Their plastic tank prices are matching their metal/resin ones at a fraction of their cost to produce. Infantry while nice are not as detailed as metal were and have the mold stretch look. But quality across the gaming world has been getting worse (compare WoW planes vs WoG reprints years later) for the last 20 years as companies look to cut costs and increase profits.

This 3d print lark is not all that simple. It's taken me a week of tweeking but I think I've mastered it now - needed to rotate 45 degs on two axes and adjust a few settings.

Name:	IMG_20210412_184404251.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	300093

Now to paint them to really see how smooth they are compared to shapeways.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Been gearing back up for Flames of War in 15mm myself but not sure I like the new rules. They are pushing tank wars rather then infantry fights. Same with Bolt Action to a point. Flames of War also streamlined the rules, stripped out all the HQ support stands from units, and transport for the most part also. Seem to be going to all plastic and are eliminating as many SKU's as they can. They are also shrinking units so they do not have to produce as many infantry to fill out a unit. All cost cutting issues for them as they convert over. Case in point is they put the same sprue in the 3rd and 4th edition starter set Open Fire vs Hit the beach. But now you have extra figs on the sprue as they removed command stands and cut some figs from the units (and got rid of the horrible large base Panzerschrek 4 man teams and went to small 2 figure bases instead. Also having issues for 10 buck sprues for a tank or gun that maybe cost 1 buck to produce. Their plastic tank prices are matching their metal/resin ones at a fraction of their cost to produce. Infantry while nice are not as detailed as metal were and have the mold stretch look. But quality across the gaming world has been getting worse (compare WoW planes vs WoG reprints years later) for the last 20 years as companies look to cut costs and increase profits.
    That’s why I preferred the Battlegroup sets, more of a combined arm approach.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    This 3d print lark is not all that simple. It's taken me a week of tweeking but I think I've mastered it now - needed to rotate 45 degs on two axes and adjust a few settings.

Too much technology for me, happy for others to print on my behalf

Those look.....................fantastic! Nice work Paul.......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Even when you think you have 3d printing mastered it comes back to bite you with some unexplained failures. I seem to spend more time printing out things now than I do painting but it is very rewarding when you get the finishing model in your hands.
    They look really good and should paint up a treat.

Super stuff!

I look forward to seeing 'em with their clothes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Super stuff!

I look forward to seeing 'em with their clothes on!

Spent yesterday turning a perfectly good Albatros D.Va into some pieces and parts.

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	300316

Used the ole freezer then near boiling water trick to wiggle most of it apart. The picture is the pieces coming out of their alcohol soak (sounds like something I should try...).

I had started a repaint of a Jasta 18 red nose, just testing some colors, when I realized... I really dislike the ARES Albatros model. It's rather hideous.

So I thought to myself, why not get some of those landing gear replacements from Shapeways and see what you can do to improve the worst of it? So landing gear needed to come off.

Then I thought, why not pop the top wing off so I can attempt my first lozenge camo decal on the underside? So off with the wings.

Then I realized that most of this model is covered in decals, including the entire top wing and tail, so I threw the whole thing into some rubbing alcohol to see what would happen.

Found myself drilling out the ridiculous pilot nub with a Dremel, to make room for Herr Peter Pig.

And it just snowballed from there.

Anyone ever mount one of Keith's spinning props on an Albatros? If so, what do you do for the nose cone?

Nice job, Jeff! My answer was to order shapeways versions.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Nice job, Jeff! My answer was to order shapeways versions.
    Which is exactly where I ended up! Shapeways is a better answer.

I arrived at the same conclusion all the Masters here have... it is not worth it to take these things apart and strip them down. Too much work, not enough reward. But, since I have this one apart... and I spent $13 on it... oh, and I bought 6 or 7 more of this same plane, thinking eventual repaints... I"m going to push on with at least this one.

You are not alone.

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Spent yesterday turning a perfectly good Albatros D.Va into some pieces and parts.

Name:	IMG_2405.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	300316

Used the ole freezer then near boiling water trick to wiggle most of it apart. The picture is the pieces coming out of their alcohol soak (sounds like something I should try...).

I had started a repaint of a Jasta 18 red nose, just testing some colors, when I realized... I really dislike the ARES Albatros model. It's rather hideous.

So I thought to myself, why not get some of those landing gear replacements from Shapeways and see what you can do to improve the worst of it? So landing gear needed to come off.

Then I thought, why not pop the top wing off so I can attempt my first lozenge camo decal on the underside? So off with the wings.

Then I realized that most of this model is covered in decals, including the entire top wing and tail, so I threw the whole thing into some rubbing alcohol to see what would happen.

Found myself drilling out the ridiculous pilot nub with a Dremel, to make room for Herr Peter Pig.

And it just snowballed from there.

Anyone ever mount one of Keith's spinning props on an Albatros? If so, what do you do for the nose cone?
    Jeff,

When I put a spinning prop on an ARES plane I cut off the propeller blades. Cut/file of any nub. Make a hole on a spinning prop to fit on the nose cone where I want it. I usually cut it out by spinning an Xacto in the original hole so there is a bevel to fit better on the nose cone. Cut a little, fit it on the nose cone, cut a little more until it settles where I want it. Not too difficult but
    be careful as those Xactos are always ready to bite.

Peter

Hooray for Hollywood!!

following this mate.......watch yr fingas!

The only one I've done, I cut off half the depth of the spinner with a Dremel (results in TINY cone - watch where it falls!)

Then cut off the rest of the spinner, glue the prop disc to the plane's nose, then glue the tiny spinner to the prop disc.

No X-Actos!

Thanks Peter and Tim!

I'm equally deadly with X-Acto and Dremel. I've dropped an X-Acto right into my bare foot. Come to think of it, I did that with a pointy Bombay Majestic tweezer too. Looked like a snake bite, as I remember. Just last week I put the Dremel in my lap after using it. Little bugger was still spinning just a wee bit. Grabbed my nylon shorts and twisted them around until it went right through. Pretty close to my junk actually...

Maybe I should just shoot the prop off the spinner with my 22LR target rifle. I'm a great shot. What could possibly go wrong?

I will ponder which method to use, but perhaps heavy gloves and the lowest Dremel speed would result in the least amount of injury. I'll make an injury decision tree. As my wife says, it is not project until there is blood. She plays by Viking rules. Example: she literally punched me in the arm while in the waiting/recovery room, immediately after our 2nd Pfizer shot. Because I was screwing around on my phone rather than entertaining her.
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 04-20-2021 at 14:08. Reason: I screamed like a little girl...

I've dropped an X-Acto right into my bare foot.
    My son did that about 25 years ago.
    You'da thunk he sliced an artery ....

Just last week I put the Dremel in my lap after using it. Little bugger was still spinning just a wee bit. Grabbed my nylon shorts and twisted them around until it went right through. Pretty close to my junk actually...
    And one jury trial later, a few decades ago, is why we don't have a circular saw attachment for Dremel tools anymore. Because juries reward stupid.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    And one jury trial later, a few decades ago, is why we don't have a circular saw attachment for Dremel tools anymore. Because juries reward stupid.
    Karl
    When you Dremel your own crotch... you gotta own that. Write an epic song and drink some mead. Rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

"If you bleed on it, it's Art. If it requires stitches, it's a Masterpiece."

- Robert Bannister, wood worker and framer.

Note: This is a man that had a barn roll over his foot during his lifetime.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Regardless of what injury you receive from which ever tool, I am sure the final result will be awesome and I would love to see it!

Not sure if it's the models or the fumes I'm addicted to.
    1/144 WW1, 15mm Vehicles and 1/1250 ships:

Name:	PXL_20210421_161731402.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	300366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210421_161654796.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	300367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210421_161842694.MP.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	300368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210421_161938972.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	300369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210421_162031945.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	300370

The detail on all of those is terrific, Paul.

Those are some amazing 3D models! Great job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. What's on your January workbench? 2021
    By Karo7 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 05-17-2022, 05:46
  2. February Workbench 2021
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 04-19-2021, 04:56
  3. March Workbench 2021
    By ShadowDragon in forum Hobby Room