0 0%
  • Baumer

6 23.08%
  • Von Hippel

6 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Favorite Albatros D.III/V/Va

Default Favorite Albatros D.III/V/Va

Well, they’re awfully hard to tell apart at a glance, so, I’m gonna lump all of the V-strut Albatros together, since it really is about visual appearance (or maybe Pilot preference is your standard). I’ve made this multiple choice so you can select more than one (reminder to self - click the dang button).

Hopefully, I’ve tracked them all down: rather a lot to choose from. Albatros D.III were my favorite as a kid. It was that whole terror of the skies for April upon it’s return to service, and yesterday’s news, obsolete flotsam almost the next day.

Edit in: In the case of there being a distinctive difference between an Ares and Nexus model of the same pilot’s plane, the name covers both. If you feel one of the other is superior enough to note, just mention it in the comments - alas that my knowledge of all the variations is insufficient to have listings where the distinction is enough to note.
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 03-30-2021 at 19:43.

I'm not fond of either model overall. Something just doesn't look right to me with them but I do fly them my share. My favorite is probably the Hippel.

We get to the really colorful planes post Albatros D.II, and they have design touches that make them visually distinctively, their larger wings and frames making them bigger billboards, so to speak. Alas that the D.Va has a dearth of special maneuvers that make it kind of boring to fly (while the D.III at least usually had a gun advantage in early 1917). With the game mostly covering three years of the war, the Albatros D.III through D.VA cover the bulk of that time frame, and in large numbers.

Which Weber? The Nexus Ludwig or the erroneous Ares Rudolf? They look much different to me -- I prefer the lighter lozenge of the Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    Which Weber? The Nexus Ludwig or the erroneous Ares Rudolf? They look much different to me -- I prefer the lighter lozenge of the Nexus.
    They are lumped together because I wasn’t going to try and track down every overlap that I wasn’t familiar with. If there is a distinction you wish to draw attention to, just note it in the comments (such as you have). If I was doing a poll for the Dr.I, I suppose I’d probably have to do several von Richthofens, but at least I have those and know to make the different listings.

Edit in: Well, you have had a secondary effect. Of the 13 Albatros official models made, I have 10 - missing D.V/a Von Richty, Jentsch, and Weber. So, I thought I might as well spend some of that stimulus money since I finally have a definitive answer on when that is going to drag in, and what’s there for Weber on the Aerodrome store but the WoW version! Don’t know if I’ll bother with Jentsch unless I can snag him for cheap (i’m a patient stalker of deals). Anyway, Von Richthofen and WoW Weber will hopefully soon be on their way.
    Last edited by Dawn Patrol; 03-31-2021 at 11:29.

Brumowski is my favourite Albatros although Jacobs proved the most difficult to find. Took me over a year to get one but have finally completed my Albatros collection.

Something about the edelweiss makes Baumer's stand out to me as a particularly classy paint job. The fact that it came in my first WGF set may play a part in this, too.

I voted Baumer too....but only just.

Both sculpts, D.III and D.Va, are wrong, just not right, just a bit off.
    Well, the D.Va is.

The D.III is by far the worst sculpt 'Nexus' and 'Ares' ever did (apart from the Sopwith Tri-rubbish, of course).
    Its top wing is set much too high, and its wheels set too low - ALL the struts are far too long; and FAT!
    The tail is too fat, and the pilot is a tiny nub who can't see out of the cockpit!

The model is NOTHING like the sleek, shark-like machine that it actually was.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I voted Baumer too....but only just.

Both sculpts, D.III and D.Va, are wrong, just not right, just a bit off.
    Well, the D.Va is.

The D.III is by far the worst sculpt 'Nexus' and 'Ares' ever did (apart from the Sopwith Tri-rubbish, of course).
    Its top wing is set much too high, and its wheels set too low - ALL the struts are far too long; and FAT!
    The tail is too fat, and the pilot is a tiny nub who can't see out of the cockpit!

The model is NOTHING like the sleek, shark-like machine that it actually was.
    Is there a Shapeways version that you (or anyone reading this) find truer?

I think my fave is MVR's D.III - the F-Toys version.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Oh, yes!

Reduced Aircraft Factory, wow (Colinwe), Columbia Aerodrome (JBMacek), and Decapod all do Shapeways D.IIIs, including early, middle and OAW late versions.
    I've got a quartet on my workbench right now!
    Even the F-Toys D.III, with the slightly-skewed offset wings and post-cockpit "hump", is better than the 'Nexus' and 'Ares' abominations.

Jasta 11 (56).jpg

Jasta 11 (58).jpg

These are all F-Toys

Shapeways, Reduced Aircraft Factory (Daryl) makes a great range of options. After buying MANY Ares/Nexus versions for repaints I'm opting for his for my D.III, D.V, and D.Va. There's even an (OAW) late version of the D.III, perfect for Seefrosta.

Jasta 11 had some of the most eye catching paint schemes. It would be nice if Ares would do more of them. For the actual models produced I agree with Peter. The Hippel is one of the nicer ones that has been produced.

I voted for the Von Hippel. It is such a striking paint scheme. Though the Voss color scheme always catches my eye when the Albatros tray comes out.

But I too find the Ares/Nexus Albs very jarring. Their proportions are off, with the landing gear being the most offensive area. I had been stockpiling cheap Ares Albatros D.Va's for repainting. But now I don't want them. I want better looking Shapeways.

Fortunately, I won't be buying them by the pallet (Tim). Just a handful, so one of my less expensive "life lessons".

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    But I too find the Ares/Nexus Albs very jarring. Their proportions are off, with the landing gear being the most offensive area. I had been stockpiling cheap Ares Albatros D.Va's for repainting. But now I don't want them. I want better looking Shapeways.
    It's only fair that we send our invoices to Tim.

Oh, yes!

Reduced Aircraft Factory, wow (Colinwe), Columbia Aerodrome (JBMacek), and Decapod all do Shapeways D.IIIs, including early, middle and OAW late versions.
    I've got a quartet on my workbench right now!
    Even the F-Toys D.III, with the slightly-skewed offset wings and post-cockpit "hump", is better than the 'Nexus' and 'Ares' abominations.

Jasta 11 (56).jpg

Jasta 11 (58).jpg

These are all F-Toys
    1884319F-1A80-4989-8ABF-19DCAA22202C.jpg

Just wanted to have some to look at opposite the F-Toys, and had this photo on my iPad. Good luck to getting F-Toys these days, alas. If I was going Shapeways, it would be for 153/253 snub-nosed Oeffag versions.

Here are some pictures of the official miniatures, to help making the choice.

ALBATROS D.III

FROMMHERZWGF118A
    8B548E8C-9B45-487D-A30D-2F913D6C2456.jpeg

GRUBERWGF118B
    0E398D15-28F3-4AC2-BB6C-688AF1BC2F37.jpeg

VON RICHTHOFENWGF118C
    7133D198-BE8A-4914-9B3B-2C8A106527BB.jpeg

VOSSWOW123C
    C665C57B-B9D0-4346-81D9-A7749F52F378.jpeg

BRUMOWSKIWOW123A
    4E1E5B89-7E05-413F-B939-20D64069D0B5.jpeg

HAUTZMAYER WOW123B
    FF8ADB3A-8BD0-45F4-BA29-F77FB39ADFF6.jpeg

ALBATROS D.Va

JENTSCHWOW109C
    355AA1DF-1D74-411B-9B69-E4BB211CB96C.jpeg

JACOBSWGF103C
    2C8BBCED-0B18-4A12-BF63-694ABE79C9D2.jpeg

UDET WOW109A 
/ WGF103A
    E80C01E3-5975-4E1F-97D5-B196884F8070.jpeg

WEBER WOW109B 
/ WGF103D
    DFDDA49D-28A4-4BE8-B2FD-ACA3BA9B7071.jpeg

VON RICHTHOFEN WGF103E
    4B40763D-772A-40D7-B9AF-59C014F6C1A6.jpeg

BAUMER WOW167 (Deluxe) / WGF001B (Duel Pack)
    8790526C-6473-4BCF-8151-5E8008974268.jpeg

VON HIPPEL WGF103B
    D2611CE9-F035-4F28-8DF9-7EEB0E40B221.jpeg

Or the current Weber.
    Actually, the Wings of Glory Weber’s Albatros on the Ares website is not correct.
    It might be a pre-production sample.
    http://www.aresgames.eu/games/ww1-wi.../albatros-d-va

The colour of the fuselage is not brown but yellow (like the Wings of War model).
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...65315796821106

362316A7-181E-481A-83EA-B8CD91F4794C.jpg

There is a simplicity in the original Nexus Weber I like, also it was the first Albatross I purchased.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

although the brown/copper body is a nice variant

The hybrid "Voss" is also wrong.

For Jasta 2, it should not have a heart on the turtledeck and the spinner should be black.

For Jasta 5, the radiator should be offset to the right, and there should be two white stripes chordwise on the top wing.

thanks, monse, for taking the time to do that. Baumer.

Here is a comparison of the two Weber’s miniatures.
    WOG model has a lozenges schemes with darker colours, a darker grey engine, and a very aesthetic grey wings edge.
    Unfortunately, the edge of the vertical stabilizer is black (instead of white), but it is not too much visible as the horizontal stabilizer is also black.

WEBER WGF103D / WOW109B
    B213D815-2047-40F9-A319-83DB5DECB390.jpg
    Last edited by monse; 04-07-2021 at 00:52.

Jasta 11 (58).jpg

These are all F-Toys

Wonderful collection of Albatros that makes dream !
    Thanks Tim for posting it

In France the F-Toys have become untraceable , I had the chance to recently recover a spad VII Guynemer nine at a correct price but no Albatros on the horizon !
    And despite its defects my favorite is the Weber Wings of War !

the grey wing edges make that choice easy......

Quote Originally Posted by Brak Morn View Post
    the grey wing edges make that choice easy......
    Not sure the top edge of the vertical stabilizer should be black, though the dark gray match better than the usual WoG unfinished leading edge wing treatment.

Don't normally bother with flying them as named pilots but as paint jobs I voted for the Baumer WOW167 (Deluxe) D.Va and the Voss D.III.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I like the Voss D.III , but also like the Jensch D.Va (probably because I only have one )

Actually I like Tim's best - any one of 'em!

A shame about the inaccuracies - I have 37 all together and don't fancy tackling the corrections to the landing gear etc.

P.S. Thanks for saving me a trip downstairs, Monse.

Quote Originally Posted by Spad VII View Post

In France the F-Toys have become untraceable , I had the chance to recently recover a spad VII Guynemer nine at a correct price but no Albatros on the horizon !
    I had to buy these in from Singapore and the Philippines!

I would have voted for Tims also.

Similar Missions

1. Which is your favorite WGF scout to fly?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-14-2023, 03:46
  2. Who Is Your Favorite WWI Pilot?
    By Coog in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-20-2014, 14:44
  3. So who is your favorite pilot and why?
    By Anav in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 19:38
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 13:45
  5. Your favorite Plane
    By franc3555 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 19:12