Ares Games

Thread: Bristol Fighter - jammed gun

Default Bristol Fighter - jammed gun

Hi all,

With the F2B's front gun 'under the hood', if it jams should it be considered jammed for the game, ie unreachable?
    Or, was there a way the pilot could access the breach?

Cheers, Peter.

Hmmm... What is meant by "under the hood (cowling)"? For some planes, this meant that the guns and any access was not possible while the plane was in flight. Andrea and Ares have done the research, and there are planes with guns that pilots can't unjam, and they are identified by equipment cards. The Bristol Fighter doesn't appear to be one of them.

Where, exactly is that gun installed? I don't know. Youtube videos of existing planes don't show the forward firing gun installed, as far as I can tell. I did run across a time-lapse build of a model, that shows the gun installation, and it shows the receiver as being over the control panel extending into the cockpit, where the pilot would have access to the important parts.

Youtube.com: Revell Bristol F.2B 1:48 - Timelaps (See mark 12:42-ish for forward gun installation, AFAIK)

If this is, in fact, accurate, unjamming the pilot's gun would be possible in some cases. For Wings of Glory, very possible.

Note: There are times when some jams are just not possible for an operator to fix in the field/plane. It takes serious tools and weapon disassembly to rectify. These situations are not considered in Wings of Glory, as they are game enders.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Cheers, Mike
    All sounds very sensible.
    Cheers Peter.

The Bristol F2b front gun was mounted centrally, directly above the engine - the breech mechanism, firing pin and other jammable bits are all accessible (I didn't believe it, so I raised this question previously).
    Viewed from the front, there is a small hole directly above the camshaft, from which the bullets emerge.

Name:  Brisfit radiator view.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  85.2 KB
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 03-26-2021 at 06:49.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Cheers Tim and Dave. I mistakenly assumed the end of the barrel must have been almost flush with the front of the radiator. Makes sense from the point of view of unjamming and possibly gives the interruptor gear a very slightly greater margin.
    P.

Thanks for the research on this question. Keep it up.

Similar Missions

1. Bristol Fighter at Shuttleworth UK
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-19-2020, 13:24
  2. WGFE: Bristol Fighter, The (A&A)
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 13:24
  3. Bristol F.2 Fighter of No 1 Squadron AFC
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 15