Ares Games

Thread: A Whistler on the wind

Default A Whistler on the wind

A desperate call for help was received by the British squadron. An poor spy had gotten himself into a pickle and needed an immediate extraction. A call was put out for volunteers, and this is what interrupted Lt. Anderson and Lt Barre's morning music session, and now aloft in their Bristol F2B, loving called "Brick". An interesting mix of aircraft now found themselves approaching the enemy rear by way of the English Channel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 1.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 112.6 KB  ID: 299132" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Unfortunately, several enemy Archie's were up and ready to welcome them. It was only by shear luck as the pair Skated away on the thin ice of a new day as they steadily descended to find their lonely comrade. Several bursts came close enough to make for a very bumpy ride. Above them, the air was buzzing with planes all around.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 2.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 135.4 KB  ID: 299133" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 3.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 135.5 KB  ID: 299134" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Finally Jack, all dressed in green, waved and Ian gently placed their plane on the ground, all the while being swarmed by the angry Huns. Fortunately, the air cover pushed a German Boat plane out of the area. (This fellow took 12 points of damage in a single turn! The "wasp" had to divert his attack run as Snoopy was on his tail. The other Hun had miscalculated his approach and overshot the makeshift landing field. Fortunately Ian nailed the landing spot, and was able to pivot for his take off while the spy launched himself into the rear office, forcing Martin into an uncomfortable sitting position.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 4.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 149.5 KB  ID: 299135" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 5.jpg  Views: 46  Size: 139.2 KB  ID: 299136" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Unfortunately for the Duet, now a trios, the Hun referred to as "The Wasp" was now hot on their tail, pouring led into the fuselage. It was only a matter of time before something vital was hit. In desperation, Lt Anderson threw the Bristol into Immelmann, causing Martin and his new friend into an even more embarrassing position. But, it threw off their pursuer nicely, who had little opportunity to react as the looked down/up at one another as they passed above/below.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 6.jpg  Views: 46  Size: 138.2 KB  ID: 299128" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 7.jpg  Views: 48  Size: 143.6 KB  ID: 299129" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 8.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 117.5 KB  ID: 299130" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

It was about now his fellow Englishmen returned in support, and they made haste their escape.

Name:	<acronym title=WoG 9.jpg  Views: 47  Size: 132.2 KB  ID: 299131" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

I seem to be the player that opts to take the unusual "mission" planes. In this case, and for my 2nd go around, i was the one selected to attempt the landing, etc. I enjoy the challenges. When the game started i was not even sure where the spy was going to be on the map. So, i just imagined the approaches i might need, and when i hit the midline the "Air Marshal" told me where i would need to go. I was VERY luck to be able to make the landing right on the spot! Even within a half ruler so i would only need to sit on the ground 1 turn! I was very nervous as my "air cover" seemed to divert away to focus on shooting up the anti-aircraft guns... leaving me and my son's Sopwith Pup to fend for ourselves.

I did get lucky as the German Macci took so much damage in the brief exchange, my tail gunner (Martin Barre) only had to worry about just a few shots in its direction to keep him away. Then, when i took off again, i had 2 Germans right on me as my son's plane went down in flames. :/ The others were at least 2 turns away before they could be of much use, so i pulled the one maneuver i thought for sure i could shake the Wasp tailing me... the Immelmann. This gave me enough separation to make good my escape.

P.S. - wondering if anyone catches my references regarding the crew and kite, names.

Looks like you snuck in and successfully saved the spy from his imminent demise. Well done RFC/RAF.

Interesting scenario, John.
    Nothing is Easy

This Was definitely full of some Passionate Plays added for the Benefit of those of us who picked up on your references.
    The aircrew knew when to Stand Up and be counted.
    You definitely got it all Under Wraps

And just in time to mark the 50th Anniversary of the release of Aqualung.
    Mssrs Anderson and Barre would be pleased.

I'd have thought the pick-up plane would have flown without an observer, leaving room for the passenger to get in.
    I'm not sure a Bristol could fit two people in the rear cockpit - and certainly not perform an Immelmann carrying 3 "crew"!
    Still, if the "Air Marshal" says it's OK...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

And the spy reveals his name is Warren and tells Anderson to "Hasten Down the Wind."

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Interesting scenario, John.
    Nothing is Easy

This Was definitely full of some Passionate Plays added for the Benefit of those of us who picked up on your references.
    The aircrew knew when to Stand Up and be counted.
    You definitely got it all Under Wraps

And just in time to mark the 50th Anniversary of the release of Aqualung.
    Mssrs Anderson and Barre would be pleased.
    Sorry for the long delay, but - YES! My first live concert.

Well done sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I'd have thought the pick-up plane would have flown without an observer, leaving room for the passenger to get in.
    I'm not sure a Bristol could fit two people in the rear cockpit - and certainly not perform an Immelmann carrying 3 "crew"!
    Still, if the "Air Marshal" says it's OK...
    I agree - but i was willing to take any concessions that the "Air Marshal" provided. I did enjoy the visual in my head. My original thoughts was to fly in without the gunner, and then the spy could use the rear-gun, but at -1.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi View Post
    And the spy reveals his name is Warren and tells Anderson to "Hasten Down the Wind."
    Not familiar with this... reference, but it is queued up for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    Sorry for the long delay, but - YES! My first live concert.

Well done sir.
    Funny you should say that.
    Yes was the backup band when I saw Tull on their Aqualung tour in June 1971

Had never heard of them - what kind of name is Yes? - and was blown away.

(It was my second concert - first was Ten Years After a couple of months prior)

I only remember driving to my first concert in insane snow. At least 8" deep, and the roads had not been cleared. It was in Baltimore. I was very naive (probably still am) in a lot of ways. Upper balcony, but straight off the stage.

Saw Jethro Tull live, they actually played in Doncaster about 20 years ago, they were outstanding.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Similar Missions

1. The Wind Still Rises
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2020, 21:28
  2. WGSB: Wind In The Wires
    By flash in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2018, 10:38
  3. The Wind Rises
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club